Who isn't carrying a driver??

Nixhex524

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you are using something other than a traditional driver as your "big dog". I have been using the J33R 460 which is a bomber, but I am not the most accurate with it. So, yesterday on the back 9 I left it in the bag and used my 3deep. I was hitting second shots with less club than I normally do at this course, it was unreal, and even better.... from the fairway. Have any of you sat the driver in favor of a FW wood and if so, what are the downsides you have seen, if any?

If I'm having trouble on the second hole I switch to my 3 wood. I already shoot 100, so I don't need to add strokes with poor drives.

I spent a long time without a driver in my bag but it was all down to my swing, which, at that time, was very reliant on my timing - on a good day it was fine, but being slightly off resulted in me even dropping down to my 5W off the tee to try and keep it in the fairway

This meant I was mainly using a 3W off the tee but I was fortunate enough to be able to hit that almost as far as the people I played with hit their driver so I wasn't losing much distance but a lot of time I would be in the fairway

Since having my swing looked at and having a slight change made I now carry a driver and am gaining confidence all the time with it, so I would suggest a lesson or two to have your swing looked at and figure out why you are so erratic with it

I will always carry a driver, but I will gladly play 3w or 5w off the tee or even an iron off the tee. But the driver always stays in.

Last season I teed off a lot with my 3w and even my 4i because my driver was a two way miss machine.

Since then, though, I was able to figure out why I had the two way miss, just a slight alteration to my driver setup made a world of difference. I'm a lot more comfortable with it now, but if I have any doubt, I'll grab my 4i so I know I'll be in the fairway.

The last few rounds I've played, the driver has stayed in the bag. I've either been using a driving iron and a strong 3w off the tee. Accuracy has greatly improved and while I'm giving up some distance, the courses I've been playing don't require me to hit driver.

I don't even own a driver as of right now. I don't think I ever will again. I have such a mental issue hitting that club I decided a couple years ago to not even attempt to swing it. Most times I hit a 3Hyb off the tee...Although at times if my swing is off, I've been known to hit a 7i off the tee...Sad part is one day I hit the 7i off the tee the entire day and had the best round of my life, an even 100.....

I've done it before with decent success. When my BB Mini 1.5 arrives I'm gonna commit to doing it for several rounds to see how it impacts my game.

I love my BB, but played with a guy last year who carried a 1 iron over a driver. He hit the thing so well, I can see why he wouldn't mess with it.

I had a stretch where I used the 3 deep exclusively, but now I've gone back to having a driver, shortened and much more consistent while having a 2 wood back up in case I'm not driving well.

I have a driver but can't hit it well. In fact, I have never been able to hit a driver. I use a 13* 3 wood in place of it. It is long enough for me and I am much more consistent with it. I do take the driver out to the range with me and give it a few hits. Maybe one day things will click with it.

Question for you guys; why is it that you have a hard time with the driver but not the FW? I read all the time how tough a 3W is to hit, maybe the hardest in the bag, and how people should use a 4-5W instead. But, then I read those that have a hard time with the driver put it aside for a 3W. I assumed the larger head/sweet spot of the driver would be easier than the smaller FW. Do you think it has anything to do with the length of the driver vs the FW? I cannot hit either well so I was curious as to what makes the FW easier for you.

Thanks, Rob

Question for you guys; why is it that you have a hard time with the driver but not the FW? I read all the time how tough a 3W is to hit, maybe the hardest in the bag, and how people should use a 4-5W instead. But, then I read those that have a hard time with the driver put it aside for a 3W. I assumed the larger head/sweet spot of the driver would be easier than the smaller FW. Do you think it has anything to do with the length of the driver vs the FW? I cannot hit either well so I was curious as to what makes the FW easier for you.

Thanks, Rob
I think those comments you read are about hitting a fw from the tee vs it being a hard club to hit off the deck. It definitely shouldn't be the hardest club in the bag to hit off the tee haha but yes i think some get along with the other clubs instead of driver simply because of the shorter shaft length.

I love hitting my driver (even when I'm having a bit of an off day), and so if the hole calls for a driver, I'll hit it. Heck, a lot of times I'll hit driver even if the hole doesn't call for it.

I have no problems taking less club off the tee, but to me it's a lot more fun to pull the big dog and let it eat.

I will always carry a driver, but I will gladly play 3w or 5w off the tee or even an iron off the tee. But the driver always stays in.

Ya, the driver is a must. If you can't hit one as well as a 3 wood, there is more than likely a very good reason.

Ya, the driver is a must. If you can't hit one as well as a 3 wood, there is more than likely a very good reason.

Maybe, but even when I was hitting the driver where I wanted at will, it still wasn't getting any more distance than I am out of the 3deep. Maybe on softer turf things could change, but out here where we haven't been getting any rain, the 3deep is getting me plenty of carry PLUS great roll out and accuracy... I guess I can see why people play the minis now and low lofted fw woods. I will stick with it for a while and see how things go.

Maybe, but even when I was hitting the driver where I wanted at will, it still wasn't getting any more distance than I am out of the 3deep. Maybe on softer turf things could change, but out here where we haven't been getting any rain, the 3deep is getting me plenty of carry PLUS great roll out and accuracy... I guess I can see why people play the minis now and low lofted fw woods. I will stick with it for a while and see how things go.
just my opinion, at our level, if our FWs are longer than our drivers, then there is a fitting issue with the driver. Just my opinion.

I have only been fit for one driver, the G30 and while I liked it, it didn't do anything different than the drivers I own now in all honesty. I will say, my J33 can get the ball out there, definitely one of the longest drivers I have ever played and it's been around for a while. I am not saying the 3deep kept up every time, but when it was shorter, it wasn't by much, and on one occasion it got me further down the fairway than I have ever been on that hole before. I won't disagree ever with being properly fit, but I wasn't fit for this 3deep either, maybe it's just the right combo for me. I like hitting the driver, but I like being in the fairway too...

I always carry my driver but there are many a round where the head cover never even comes off of it. My 3w is almost as long and so so so much more accurate. If my driver is really giving me trouble I will use the 3w on all holes except dog leg right, my driver miss is a bad slice.

just my opinion, at our level, if our FWs are longer than our drivers, then there is a fitting issue with the driver. Just my opinion.

I agree. I have a X Hot 3 Deep and it is good, but not near as good as my driver, length wise.

I cut down my Rapture V2 to 43-1/2" and I love it. I can still bomb it, but mostly I love it for hitting more fairways. Today I just bought a Ping i25 driver and I'm seriously contemplating using 2 drivers and dropping my strong hybrid.

I played a couple weeks ago with a couple guys who didn't carry a driver. One teed off with a 3w and the other a 3h. I found it odd but didn't question it as I have my own problems hitting my driver consistently

My driver stays in the bag but I haven't used it more than 4 times in a round in the last 10 rounds. When I play back at 7,000 yards I use the driver about 7 or 8 times a round.

I gave up my driver not long after I started playing the game, and finally listened to my dad because all the driver did was cost me penalty strokes more often than not. I started teeing off with either 2 iron or 3w and quickly was able to break 100 consistently, then got stuck around 90, but that's another story. I got my first birdie when I teed off with the 2 iron, and a year later my first eagle teeing off with the 3w. I finally did learn to huit the driver though, and now it may very well be my best club.

Anyway, my point is: if the driver is costing you then leave it out while playing, but don't give up on it completely. Hit it on the range until you get it down, you never know.

Thanks, Rob

For me I could hit a 3 wood much more consistent off the deck than my long irons. Off the tee I have no issue at all with it. I am going to experiment choking down on the driver a bit to see if a shorter shaft would help me hit it better. If that shows promise I will consider having the shaft cut down a couple of inches.

Back