Is Langer Breaking the Rules?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We heard about it back a couple of months ago from Hank Haney. Then again recently from Chamblee. This video seems to suggest both of them are right.
FWIW, I am more in the Chamblee camp that says it was a terrible implementation of the rule change and bifurcation is the best scenario.

It's clearly anchored so yes, 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sure looks that way

Can you touch your had to your shirt, not contacting your body and be within the rule? This would be what he has to be doing no?

Just let them putt however they want. It wasn't like these guys anchoring where winning everything they entered.

Looks like he is anchoring to me.

they should have never banned anchoring to begin with.

It looks like he did but the entire thing is stupid, I thought I also read the rule you have to intend to anchor or something. This all feels as dumb and worthless as the groove rule.

I struggle with this.

Does he appear to be anchoring? Yes.

But the golf community oft reminds us loudly golf is a game of integrity and if Dustin Johnson says he did nothing to make the ball move, we should accept that. Therefore, if Langer tells us he's not actually touching his chest, shouldn't we accept that?

Next we'll get into discussions of "nobody got hurt just because he touched his chest / moved his ball a little, golf is too stuffy."

I honestly am unsure of where you draw the line.

Yes he's anchoring, but's it's a stupid rule.

I struggle with this.

Does he appear to be anchoring? Yes.

But the golf community oft reminds us loudly golf is a game of integrity and if Dustin Johnson says he did nothing to make the ball move, we should accept that. Therefore, if Langer tells us he's not actually touching his chest, shouldn't we accept that?

Next we'll get into discussions of "nobody got hurt just because he touched his chest / moved his ball a little, golf is too stuffy."

I honestly am unsure of where you draw the line.

Wait. What happened to allowing call ins because a camera showed otherwise.
This person doesnt think they are doing anything wrong according to them.

This is a bit different than a ball moving a centimeter and only being seen in super slow mo zoomed in on the 19th replay, right?
This is about the people that make the rules deciding something should be illegal, but now they dont want to enforce? So in other words, like slow play. Do as I say, not as I do (or enforce). :D Its easier to assess and change the outcome of a major over an inch, but winning weekly by breaking a rule that changed the entire landscape of an industry is just an honors thing?

Or is it that the USGA can do no wrong, so when they penalize its okay and when they dont, its okay too, as long as its them making the decision? :act-up:

Last edited:
From that image, yes, he's anchoring....

Solution: As someone posted on Twitter to Chamblee, establish a limitation on putter length -- similar to the limit of a 48" driver.

From that image, yes, he's anchoring....

Solution: As someone posted on Twitter to Chamblee, establish a limitation on putter length -- similar to the limit of a 48" driver.

So either the Kuchar method becomes illegal or Keegan is fist pumping the return of his belly putter. (I don't actually care one way or another but I always found the Kuchar method seemed a bit like anchoring)

He is 100% anchoring... And frankly I still don't think banning this putting stroke makes any sense (especially on the senior tour with all the back issues).

I'd say it's clear as day, regardless of whether it's intentional.

Next thing you know he'll bag an indi wedge because it's fun

IMO shirt has to equal chest, so he's breaking the rule. And even though it is a stupid rule it is the rule so it should be enforced.

It's against the rules to anchor. Langer has always been a man of good morals and integrity.

The rule stipulates you can't anchor to the body (right?) - therefore the image is misleading IMO.

IMO shirt has to equal chest, so he's breaking the rule. And even though it is a stupid rule it is the rule so it should be enforced.

I guess that is where we run into the problem. If all of the sudden rules officials are saying "its up to the players" (as Wade said) because it is a game of integrity, and the player does not feel he is doing something wrong, then what to do. There is no doubt based on what we have seen, the putter is anchored during play at some points. I just dont understand how rules are called with high speed cameras with zoom ins from fans calling in, and somehow this is okay? It has to be one or the other, right?

And Langer isn't the only using this technique. There are some others doing it as well. There was some no namer from Mexico (I think) in the Senior Open last weekend and he looked worse than Langer.

Officials had a talk with him sat about it and they told him he wasn't breaking the rules so I'm going with them and saying no he isn't.

Officials had a talk with him sat about it and they told him he wasn't breaking the rules so I'm going with them and saying no he isn't.

how difficult do you think it is for them to monitor this? I mean heck, I watch the video in the OP and I can't tell if he's 100% anchoring or not. So if they walk up to him and say let's see your putting stroke, all he has to do is move his hand out away from his chest basically a 1/10 of an inch, and they clear him. It's a tough spot to be in, but it's the governing bodies that created this mess.

I guess that is where we run into the problem. If all of the sudden rules officials are saying "its up to the players" (as Wade said) because it is a game of integrity, and the player does not feel he is doing something wrong, then what to do. There is no doubt based on what we have seen, the putter is anchored during play at some points. I just dont understand how rules are called with high speed cameras with zoom ins from fans calling in, and somehow this is okay? It has to be one or the other, right?
Maybe there aren't enough people watching the senior tour to catch something like this?

Players will have an incentive to call the penalty because they don't want anyone gaining an advantage. I prefer that over relying on call ins.

Maybe there aren't enough people watching the senior tour to catch something like this?

Players will have an incentive to call the penalty because they don't want anyone gaining an advantage. I prefer that over relying on call ins.

I tend to agree, although he plays in regular events too.

Thy created this shitstorm and are now kind of stuck.

I tend to agree, although he plays in regular events too.

Thy created this shitstorm and are now kind of stuck.

a massive over reaction to some guys finally winning majors with anchored strokes.

how difficult do you think it is for them to monitor this? I mean heck, I watch the video in the OP and I can't tell if he's 100% anchoring or not. So if they walk up to him and say let's see your putting stroke, all he has to do is move his hand out away from his chest basically a 1/10 of an inch, and they clear him. It's a tough spot to be in, but it's the governing bodies that created this mess.

I agree the governing bodies created a mess with the rules and many think it's because of tour players winning majors but forget they noticed a trend amongst junior golfers using the stroke and felt that it takes away from the spirit of the game and developing the skills at a young age basically.

Regarding his stroke that's pretty much all that has to happen if they came and asked him and that slight move away is all that's needed. He has admitted to anchoring during his practice stroke then moving his hands away for the actual stroke. I've seen video during events that show his hands move slightly away.

Back