Garmin Approach G6

Anders73

Reaction score
Handicap
That's one GPS I would not mind owning. Looks great.

I love my G3. Garmin makes great products.

was looking into a G5, might have to see what the big difference is between it and the G6

This does look pretty nice. I play in some small cash games and this function looked really cool:

Approach G6 doubles as a digital scorecard for your foursome with scoring options for Stroke Play, Stableford, Skins and Match Play with adjustable handicaps.

was looking into a G5, might have to see what the big difference is between it and the G6

Well for 1 thing it's 100x better looking than the G5. Have trawled around the net the only date I can find is Golfsmiths saying shipping on 29th February.

I was going to go for re-released Upro MX or S1 watch but think I'll find out more about this one first

I like the looks of the G6 too and am kind of looking for a GPS. How good is Garmin at adding courses? Do they do it often? Are there other sources for courses other than Garmin?

I ask all the questions because it seems they have a lot of courses I would not go out of my way to play. But the list is kind of short on courses I would love to go play on vacation or during time off work.

Really liking the looks and the extra features. The price tag, eh. Really wouldn't mind having one of these though!

I like the looks of the G6 too and am kind of looking for a GPS. How good is Garmin at adding courses? Do they do it often? Are there other sources for courses other than Garmin?

I ask all the questions because it seems they have a lot of courses I would not go out of my way to play. But the list is kind of short on courses I would love to go play on vacation or during time off work.

25,000+ is a lot of courses!! All of the courses within a 20 mile radius (i.e the one's I would usually play) are on it. There is a webpage that lists all the courses currently available

Does anyone know how the G6 compares to the Skycaddie SGX/SGXw? I know there's a yearly fee for the Skycaddie and no fee for the Garmin. Thoughts?

Other than the redesign of the case, I'm not seeing any difference between this and the G5. I love the G5, Brighter the sun the brighter the display, no glare off the screen, haven't found a course yet I've wanted to play that it didn't have. As well as updating courses, it also updates rules of golf. Really easy to keep score on and keep track of your stats. Has some common stats like GIR pre-loaded and you can create any other stats you want to. IMO the best GPS on the market

Does anyone know how the G6 compares to the Skycaddie SGX/SGXw? I know there's a yearly fee for the Skycaddie and no fee for the Garmin. Thoughts?

No fees, looks lovely and I'm getting one as soon as they come out and will do a review on it if someone doesn't beat me to it
Waterproof, record average club distances, lay-up arcs, keep scores for 4 players

Essentially, I don't see why I should have to continue to pay an annual fee

Check criticalgolf.com for comparisons. Think the 6 gives a yardage arc plus club stats.

Sent from my DROID X2

G5 is now on sale thanks to release of G6...might have to snatch one

Right, in the UK this is being released on March 1st at American Golf only.......hmmm, £329, not cheap

Everything looks better on the G6, and that's a good thing. It really is a nice looking GPS.

Good Morning all

Decided to finally send back my Callaway MX Upro when I saw the Garmin G6. I ordered the G6 on Tuesday on Amazon and received it yesterday. Looks very nice. Here's how it compares to the G5:

1. It's noticeably smaller
2. It has two additional buttons for quicker access to score keeping and shot measuring with one button and one button for a quick view of the green
3. The biggest difference I feel is the rechargeable battery which is supposed to last 15 hours of playing time. Since it has an USB connection, would assume it can be recharged in your car on the way to a course or in between rounds, like a cell phone, for those that forget to charge it over night
4. It has a preview feature which allows you to see all of the holes of a golf course before you play it. Tested it from home last night - turned it on, selected a course and not only did it allow me to preview holes, but it let me touch spots on the hole and gave me yardages to it. Nice feature if playing a tournament on a course you are not familiar with.
5. It allows you to move the flag position on a green for more accurate yardage to the stick.

Well, I will hopefully get to play with it this weekend and report back on how it performed.

I wish the trend was to go bigger, these ol eyes prefer easier viewing.

Sent from my DROID X2

I wish the trend was to go bigger, these ol eyes prefer easier viewing.

Sent from my DROID X2

My father-in-law would agree, personally this looks about the perfect size for me but will pass full judgement when it's delivered to my door!!

I have a holder for my push cart & for elec. so size is not a problem

Sent from my DROID X2

I believe that Garmin does a quarterly map update. When I first got my G5 last Christmas I noticed that one of my main courses was off. (They had opened up the new 9 in July.) I sent them an e-mail with a link to the course website, and the course was right in the next update.

I am really looking forward to the report on the G6. If you would comment on the following it would be great

- How did you use it. Whole hole then green view. Did you drag and drop shots/pin placement. How easy is this?
- battery life
- ease of tracking shots (does it slow you down)
- how does it look resolution/brightness/sreen size

I have been debating the G6 versus the G5.

G5 Pros

AA batteries guarantees 2 round support without charge
Price ($219 versus $300)
Screensize

G5 Cons

No on screen stats
Seems less easy to use (no dedicated buttons & shot tracking)
Does not look as nice.

G6 Pros

On screen stats
Looks easier to use (dedicated buttons)
Looks nicer
Supposedly better sun brightness
Range arcs (provide quick layup data without drag and drop)

G6 cons

Price
Smaller Screen

I think the G6 graphics are a little too Mickey Mouse. I went with the SGXw for the accuracy of having the courses walked. I wasn't happy about the extra $50 I paid for the yearly subscription, but if it's accuracy saves me a stroke or two in a tournament, then I'm OK with the fee. I know some people on here poo-poo the Golf Digest list, but I think it's pretty good.

If there wasn't a yearly fee, would that influence your choice? If you'd choose the SGX/w in that case, isn't your game worth the extra $30 or $50 a year? That's a dozen balls. Is that really a lot in this game? I just spent $60 for a pair of Nike shorts.

Back