JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to shots in and around the green, there is no faking it, the data says golfers struggle. PING is hoping to help that with their new launch the ChipR, which despite odd spelling for trademark purposes, is exactly what it sounds like…a Chipper.

In the late 70s, Karsten Solheim introduced the PING Chipo, it was a more traditional shaped wedge that was designed for golfers that lacked confidence and were looking for assistance around the greens. Part wedge, part putter, but today, that is expanding, or should we say changing, with the new ChipR from PING.

Untitled-design-1-1.png

“Golfers who fear chunking or blading their chip shots are really going to benefit from the new PING ChipR,” said John K. Solheim, PING CEO & President. “We’ve learned a lot...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks more like an iron than other chippers I've seen I guess but just no.

Don’t quite know if a 200$ chipper is worth it but looks way better than anything else on the market in the category for sure.

Definitely not a space I thought we’d see PING get into. But hey, these types of clubs can help a ton of golfers.

To me, I think I could argue chipping a ball to kick-in range might be one of the most satisfying experiences in the game. If this club helps folks do that, I am all for it.

I like the looks of this one.

It actually doesn’t look bad. But, no. Just not for me.

Not my cup of tee but if you need one then this is probably the best looking one I have seen

Don’t quite know if a 200$ chipper is worth it but looks way better than anything else on the market in the category for sure.
You aren't wrong. It does look good. If someone can benefit from having this in the bag, I say go for it.

I think many ladies would benefit from something like this. My wife hits it pretty good but doesn't use all 14 clubs anyways and makes me think I should get something like this for her.

Looks more like an iron than other chippers I've seen I guess but just no.
Does look like an iron, and with the below I'll just try my 8 iron (which I did play around with this week and see some possible good use)

carries a loft closer to that of an 8 iron (38.5 degrees).

To me, I think I could argue chipping a ball to kick-in range might be one of the most satisfying experiences in the game. If this club helps folks do that, I am all for it.

I like the looks of this one.

I agree. If a club will help people, then I see no problem with anyone choosing to use it. The price tag is another story, but it may be worth it to many. It gives people options to consider.

A friend is going to have one, and I'm going to have to hear chipr talk constantly. Lol Outside of that i think it's great if it helps.

Chippers are fun, and I like the look of this. Would definitely take a couple whacks with this if I found one in the wild. Seems like they've gone for a narrower sole than the Smart Sole and some of the other chippers out there. I think that makes it a little more versatile but also harder to argue for using it over an 8 or 9 iron.

Would be interesting to see a little more data on the 1/3 of testers who did better with it (and those that weren't better).

I will say these types of clubs sell well. The cleveland model is awesome sold out.

I think it looks good, but it is also very specialized.

I've been a pretty big fan of my traditional 8i for my bump and runs and I don't see that changing at the moment at least.

I actually think this is one of the best-looking chippers I have seen.

I love that it LOOKS like an iron, a bit shorter, and more upright.

Having said that, I cannot see taking another club out of my bag for something so specialized, but I know it is something that can help a ton of people out there and options are always good.

@V14_Heels Have you seen this 👀👀 We can ask Keenan for a nice aftermarket shaft to really get this fitted.

I will def try one. Why not. If it could put me in autopilot around the green…. Yes please.

You aren't wrong. It does look good. If someone can benefit from having this in the bag, I say go for it.

I think many ladies would benefit from something like this. My wife hits it pretty good but doesn't use all 14 clubs anyways and makes me think I should get something like this for her.
This is a great idea. I have to look at it for my wife. If I ask she will say she does not want it but im guessing if I get it for her she will love it.

I think it looks good, but it is also very specialized.

I've been a pretty big fan of my traditional 8i for my bump and runs and I don't see that changing at the moment at least.
Thinking the very same thing, the loft falls between my 8 and 9i. And ive been using my 8i for years. It does look nice, but since i have confidence in my 8i, I’ll hold on.

Last edited:
Struggles around the green and the evolution of a chipper…if it reduces those unwanted chips and higher scores…I’m all for it.

timely thread as i just did some scoring analysis that revealed some troubling stuff about my short game. even after that, i'd still rather work on my technique than use something like this. not saying i'd totally rule it out. i had to give into putting yips and change my grip and putter type, but it took me some time to abandon a normal grip and preferred blade style.

I owned the Cleveland Niblick several years ago. This Ping one looks MUCH better. That being said, when I need a longer running shot that gets on the green quickly and rolls out, I turn to a 7-8-9 iron played close in my stance with the heel off the ground, choked down with my putter grip, and hit it with a putting stroke. Works pretty well the majority of the time. So I’d pass on this one, especially at that price point.

Not bad at looking at all. I would give that a try but i am not sure what i would remove to have that in the bag.

Back