Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Awesome. Thanks JB. I think I am going to try a Winn grip

I'm going to give the grips a fighting chance, with some range sessions and a couple of rounds and I am posting pics of them in a second if I can figure out why my BB isn't working properly. I will replace them once I give the grips themselves a review.

Is the cavity able to be seen on all of these irons? if so that would distract me a bit until I got used to it

Is the cavity able to be seen on all of these irons? if so that would distract me a bit until I got used to it

You cannot see the cavity at all GW-6 iron, and the top line is so thin if you didn't know better you would think it was more of a GE iron. 5 and 4 you can see the cavity a little bit but for me it gives me a little more confidence with those irons knowing I have the forgiveness of a cavity back.

Here are some pics of the stock midsize grips with my BB camera not the best shots but you should get the idea.

IMG00015-20110222-0611.jpg

IMG00014-20110222-0611.jpg

IMG00016-20110222-0611.jpg

Ron,

You have the half and half coming right?

that grips looks very similar to the ones they had on the Tw9 wedges. I thought it was ok, not sure if I would have used them on all of my irons though.

that grips looks very similar to the ones they had on the Tw9 wedges. I thought it was ok, not sure if I would have used them on all of my irons though.

I think theyre the same but not positive. If so I'll give them a fair testing and then I think Im looking at those new VDR? grips.

I had the TW9 wedge and they are the same grips.

Played a round today with these irons. I have fallen in lov....well I really like these irons so far. When I get home from work I will post a full update.

Nice write up Coolbreeze!
Did you get them delivered to your work? haha, and how did you take such crisp shots of them in a mirror to make them look backwards? :D

Nice write up Coolbreeze!
Did you get them delivered to your work? haha, and how did you take such crisp shots of them in a mirror to make them look backwards? :D

Ya I did get them delivered to my work as I have a shipper/receiver, my house has no one in it during the day and the place to pick the packages up if your not home is a long way from my house. The lefty irons look great, and they look mean in the bag. These irons are just confidence inspiring, 1 range session and 1 round and I haven't hit what I would call a bad shot yet.

Great stuff so far guys!

Great updates so far CB. Sorry I have not gotten out since Saturday. Was going to get to the range today but we are refinancing and I had to fill out all the paperwork. Will definitely get out tomorrow. Anyone wants any pictures taken or any shots tried or anything please don't hesitate to ask. That is what I'm here for.

Great job guys! These are really pretty irons and look solid :thumb:

Went out today for my first round of golf with the Di11's, after only one range session with them I had no idea how it was going to go as I haven't dialed in any distances with these yet. It was cold today but sunny (35*) and I was golfing so it was great. In the spirit of CL's great review a quick hole by hole review of where I hit the Di11's:

Hole1: After a decent drive I had 135 to a front pin and had an uphill lie in the rough, I pull the PW and flush the ball pin high a little left, ball felt just pure off the face.

Hole 2: Par 5, hit an ok drive a little into the rough, then hit a 140 yard fat mashie, then pure a 200 yard mashie and make the 30 bird, no Di11's were hit here.

Hole 3: Great drive on a 400 yard hole left me with 125 to the pin, pulled a GW pin high, but the ball flight was nice and high just a little right.

Hole 4: Par 3 145, right into the wind, I hit an 8 iron right in the center of the face and ball flies straight as an arrow and high (maybe too high?) and got knocked down by the wind to land 5 yards short of the flag, should have hit a knockdown but I haven't worked on this shot yet with these irons.

Hole 5: Number 1 HC hole, Par 4 after a terrible drive, I lay up with an 8 iron over some trees. Great shot, the ball gets up really quickly with these irons, I think would have had to hit a 9 or PW with previous irons I have owned. Then 160 left to a back pin uphill, I crush a 7 iron that lands pin high and then runs off the back into the fringe, the ball flight was perfect high without balloning and long.

Hole 6: Par 3 200 yards It was MASHIE TIME!

Hole 7: Par 5 with the tees up, after a good drive I was left with 210 to the front of the green with a forced carry at 175, Mashie time again, then a chip and a putt, no Di11's.

Hole 8: Best drive of the day 402 year par 4 and I crush a drive leaving me with 125 to a back pin, pull the GW and toe it a bit, carries 120 just a little right, very little distance was lost and I hit it quite a bit towards the toe.

Hole 9: No Di11's were used and I don't want to talk about it.

Hole 10: 410 yard par 4 after a good drive I'm left with 135 yards uphill, I pull 9 iron and catch it a little thin, I looked up expecting to see a laser beam right over the back of the green only to see a high wonderful looking ball flight that landed pin high! I missed this ball quite a bit and the forgiveness I got on this shot was shocking.

Hole 11: 155 year par 3 into the wind, water right, oob left, I pull a 7 iron that flew 160 with a great ball flight...right into the water! This was all me.

Hole 12: 449 yard par 4, I only reach this green in two in the summer so in the winter I play it as a par 5 and try and get par. After a good mashie off the tee I hit a great 8 iron 150 yards for a perfect 110 left (back pin) uphill, pull GW and hit the ball to within 5 feet. Par.

Hole 13: 158 uphill par 3 into the wind, I hit 6 iron and this was my favorite shot of the day, ball flight was high, and piercing right into the wind, and landed softly on the green with very little roll out. Missed the 6 foot birdie putt.

Hole 14: Poor drive, poor mashie, poor SW, good bunker shot and a putt, par.

Hole 15: 370 yard par 4 with almost dune like mounds down the left side, I crush my drive right down the left hand side and I think I carried all the dunes leaving a SW into the green...nope, caught the very top of the last dune and was left with a crazy uphill lie in some nasty rough. I have 100 yards to the flag but I know that the lie is going to throw the ball right up in the air so I grab the GW and hit the ball clean, pin high 8 feet right. Wow I am really starting to like these clunbs, a lot.

Hole 16: par 4 306 yards, just because I hit 5 iron off the tee, good shot not great but middle of the fairway leaving me with 110 to an uphill green, I decide to hit PW cause its getting even colder and the ball is just no flying like it was. This was the Di11's best shot of the day, not mine but they really shined on this mishit. I hit the ball about a quarter inch fat and with the really wet conditions here right now, fat is dead. I looked up expecting to see a chunky little flub well right, instead I see a ball in the air (much lower than normal) flying straight as an arrow to land on the green 10 yards short of the pin. This shot result was all Di11's and I think the fat shaft had everything to do with the ball flying straight.

Hole 17: 155 yard par 3 over a lake, all carry. I hit 7 iron just to make sure I get over and I flush it. I fly the pin and darn near went over the green into the OOB. Ball flight is just great with these, high but not overly high and then just hits and sticks.

Hole 18: No Di11's here and I don't want to talk about, it was only a bogey but just a poorly played par 5.

Finished the round with an 83 42 front, 41 back and in this weather and my first round with these irons I was very happy. The sound of the ball off the club face is solid still can't come up with a good description, but the face feels hot. I hit some green side chips with the 7 iron and they went long just because the ball came off the face hotter than I expected. After only 1 short range session and one round I am shocking confident in these clubs, I haven't hit a really bad shot with them yet and every time I stand over the ball I know it is going to work out. Just so forgiving, any questions?

Last edited:
Great blow by blow CB. Sounds like a very good first round, congrats.

Solid round Cool! Sounds like they just flat out work. Thanks for the thorough update.

CB - Great job on your review!

Nice recap CB. Impressive results so soon! The GW in particular seems to be working out great for you.

good review CB. Even though I've never heard of a 402 year old par 4..? :)

Solid review CB, sounds like a nice set of sticks.

can you work them?

Yes you can, I'm not a big worker of the ball and play a fade on almost all my shots. When I needed to hit a draw today it drew nicely!

Back