Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Great write up CL, I think these irons fall more into the GE category than the SGE category but that is JMO. Glad to hear you are able to work the ball with these irons, hitting a fade is a good shot to have in the bag. Flighting the ball lower is an accomplishment with these irons as they just want to go up, and fly far. I can't wait to get out there with these again as soon as the snow lets me.

Yeah I was really happy with tonights range time. I just purchased a 3 month pass so I will have unlimited balls at this range. I have a round set for Sunday also so I can report back then.

Thanks for the continued updates, guys.

Thanx for the reviews guys, maybe i should've waited on these instead of jumping on the Ci9's. I like my Ci9's alot but, the Di11's sound like they are darn near the perfect set of irons. I can already see it in my future i will end up buying these before the year is over. I dont know if i can afford this site anymore,:hypnotized:

Thanx for the reviews guys, maybe i should've waited on these instead of jumping on the Ci9's. I like my Ci9's alot but, the Di11's sound like they are darn near the perfect set of irons. I can already see it in my future i will end up buying these before the year is over. I dont know if i can afford this site anymore,:hypnotized:

You should hit them as soon as you can, SD, they are just a wonderful set of irons. If I'm lucky they will open the ranges back up tomorrow after our freak snow storm and I will be able to hit them myself.

Going to drink some coffee and have something to eat then I'm off to the range.

Had a great range session today for the first time in 5 days since the ranges have been closed due to snow. Today it was -2* (about 29*) with a wind chill but hey they were open. I warmed up a little with some wedges and then got right in to the Di11's. Today since distance would be iffy I was looking at ball flight, feel, and forgiveness. My iron swing felt really good today so it was a great test.

Ball flight:
High, with all clubs, I have been wondering lately after only 1 round and 1 range session before this, if it was too high. After today I love the ball flight, it is high because the ball gets up really quickly, but then it just goes and goes. I would compare the ball flight of the 6 iron to the ball flight I would normally see from an 7 or 8 iron but with the distance of a 5 iron. The greens at the range today were frozen solid and I could get the ball with my 6 iron to hit and stick at the 165 flag just due to the ball flight. I took out my old 52* gap wedge to check out the ball flight difference between that club and the Di11 GW which is 46* (crazy right) and the Di11 gap wedge not only got up in the air faster and flew higher than the 52* wedge but flew a good club and half further as you would expect.
I spent a lot of time with the 4 iron today and it is a beast. I'm not the greatest with my long irons but I was hitting this club great today with a high ball flight that I have never been able to get with a 4 iron. I was getting about 180 carry out of it today but that means little in these temps.

Feel and Forgicenss:
The balls were like rocks today and not once did I get my hands hurt by a mishit ball. You can tell when you catch the ball pure, with an almost vacant feeling, and you can feel your misses when they are significantly towards the toe or heel. The sweetspot is quite large so you can miss probably a centimeter or two (thats right we use the metric system) in either direction on the face and feel like you flushed it right in the center of the face. Hit the ball a little thin and you are punished but not as much as you would be with other irons, the ball still gets up in the air but will fall about a club short but thats pretty good. I couldn't really test out fat shots since we were hitting on mats but from on course experience it works out about the same as thin shots.

In two range sessions now, and one round I still have yet to hit what I would consider a bad shot and I think that says everything about the forgiveness of these irons. Confidence in my irons is big for me, and right now I don't believe I can hit a bad shot, I'm sure I will but right now I have yet to see it.

The uniflex shaft is great for me. With my slow transition at the top and I have really been working on a smooth swing and this shaft just works with that. If you are someone who really goes after the ball with an aggressive move at the top I don't think these would be for you, but for me they work out great. I can feel them load at the top and release into the ball, something I don't feel all that often with steel shafts.

These are just a really good set of irons and I can't wait to get back to range with them on a day that is above 0* (32*).

Had a great range session today for the first time in 5 days since the ranges have been closed due to snow. Today it was -2* (about 29*) with a wind chill but hey they were open. I warmed up a little with some wedges and then got right in to the Di11's. Today since distance would be iffy I was looking at ball flight, feel, and forgiveness. My iron swing felt really good today so it was a great test.

Ball flight:
High, with all clubs, I have been wondering lately after only 1 round and 1 range session before this, if it was too high. After today I love the ball flight, it is high because the ball gets up really quickly, but then it just goes and goes. I would compare the ball flight of the 6 iron to the ball flight I would normally see from an 7 or 8 iron but with the distance of a 5 iron. The greens at the range today were frozen solid and I could get the ball with my 6 iron to hit and stick at the 165 flag just due to the ball flight. I took out my old 52* gap wedge to check out the ball flight difference between that club and the Di11 GW which is 46* (crazy right) and the Di11 gap wedge not only got up in the air faster and flew higher than the 52* wedge but flew a good club and half further as you would expect.
I spent a lot of time with the 4 iron today and it is a beast. I'm not the greatest with my long irons but I was hitting this club great today with a high ball flight that I have never been able to get with a 4 iron. I was getting about 180 carry out of it today but that means little in these temps.

Feel and Forgicenss:
The balls were like rocks today and not once did I get my hands hurt by a mishit ball. You can tell when you catch the ball pure, with an almost vacant feeling, and you can feel your misses when they are significantly towards the toe or heel. The sweetspot is quite large so you can miss probably a centimeter or two (thats right we use the metric system) in either direction on the face and feel like you flushed it right in the center of the face. Hit the ball a little thin and you are punished but not as much as you would be with other irons, the ball still gets up in the air but will fall about a club short but thats pretty good. I couldn't really test out fat shots since we were hitting on mats but from on course experience it works out about the same as thin shots.

In two range sessions now, and one round I still have yet to hit what I would consider a bad shot and I think that says everything about the forgiveness of these irons. Confidence in my irons is big for me, and right now I don't believe I can hit a bad shot, I'm sure I will but right now I have yet to see it.

The uniflex shaft is great for me. With my slow transition at the top and I have really been working on a smooth swing and this shaft just works with that. If you are someone who really goes after the ball with an aggressive move at the top I don't think these would be for you, but for me they work out great. I can feel them load at the top and release into the ball, something I don't feel all that often with steel shafts.

These are just a really good set of irons and I can't wait to get back to range with them on a day that is above 0* (32*).

Man you got the snake man wanting some of these irons! Well done CB :clapp:

Great continued write-ups fellas.

Excellent recap, CB. Really good.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

I went to the range today. Don't have a real long write up as I concentrated mainly on wedges and the Mashie. I did hit about 50 balls or so just trying to hit flighted shots with my 4-7 irons. Had a lot of success today with this shot. Took about a 3/4 swing and an abbreviated follow through and easy peasy. These clubs really do feel like cheating a little bit. I was hitting 9 iron in the beginning trying to warm up and I must have hit 5 straight fat shots that still flew to the green I was aimed at. I am really liking the sole of these irons. I have a tendency to dig very hard but these clubs have a very nice turf interaction for my swing. Can't wait to play 18 tomorrow.

Good stuff so far guys.

Cool, these sound like they may be threatening your 2.0's......I like it!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I went to the range today. Don't have a real long write up as I concentrated mainly on wedges and the Mashie. I did hit about 50 balls or so just trying to hit flighted shots with my 4-7 irons. Had a lot of success today with this shot. Took about a 3/4 swing and an abbreviated follow through and easy peasy. These clubs really do feel like cheating a little bit. I was hitting 9 iron in the beginning trying to warm up and I must have hit 5 straight fat shots that still flew to the green I was aimed at. I am really liking the sole of these irons. I have a tendency to dig very hard but these clubs have a very nice turf interaction for my swing. Can't wait to play 18 tomorrow.

Chunk -- Looking forward to your on course feel for these . Enjoy your Sunday round!

1st hole--358--Teed off with the Mashie. Pretty good drive left me with 120 to the middle. The ground was a little muddy and I should have clubbed up but I wasn't thinking. Tried hitting GW but hit it fat to the front fringe. Chipped up and 2 putted for 5

2nd hole--462--Short par 5 but it does play uphill. Hit a solid drive but it didn't draw back. Had a tough layup that was blocked by a line of trees but there were some openings to play either a low hook or low fade to get back to the fairway. I played the low hook with 4 iron and it hooked perfectly around the tree to about 100. Left myself a slight downhill lie so I played for a little fade. It didn't fade. Hit a rancid pitch to about 20 feet and 2 putted for a 6.

3rd hole--401--Slightly downhill and if the drive is placed in the right spot you get a nice run. I hit the drive in the right spot and got a nice roll out of it. Unfortunately there was a tree limb jutting out right in my way so I aimed at the right edge of the green with GW and tried to draw it back to the hole. Hit a nice shot that drew perfectly and even backed up about 8 feet. Just missed the putt and tapped in for 4

4th hole--167--Tough little green to hit with water in the front. Hit a knockdown 7 iron but pulled it left. Sad looking chip leaves me 12 feet. Even sadder first putt leaves me a knee knocking 5 footer which I somehow drain. 4

5th hole--496--Nice par 5 that has water in the driving area. Played Mashie to the right side of fairway. Hit a knockdown 4 iron that didn't draw which left me under a tree and needing to fade. I don't fade it which leaves a tough pitch uphill to a tough pin position. I hit yet another terrible pitch to 15 feet. 2 putt 6

6th hole--148--Water in front and left. Little bit of wind in the face so I take a 3/4 7 iron which I hit very nicely just past the pin and it spins back to about 6 feet. Just miss the putt for an easy 3

7th hole--409--3 wood off the tee to avoid water. Hit the 3 wood a little too good and just barely avoid getting wet. Leaves me with 150 but in a bit of muddy patch. Chunk 8 iron leaves me with 30 yards. Chunk pitch leaves me 10 yards. Chip to about 20 feet and 2 putt gives me 6.

8th hole--155--Water front and left. Safe area to the right that feeds down to the hole off of a hill. I aim to far right and it stays up on top. Chip goes past 15 feet. Just miss the putt for a 4

9th hole--348--Straight ahead par 4 that I always pull my drive left. I pull my drive left. Leave myself 100 in and try a 9:00 PW. Hit it nice but pull it again. Chunk a chip but hit a nice second chip. Just saying second chip leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Tap in for a 5.

So far I'm having a rough day. I've hit the irons great but my direction is off. When I've tried to hit shots low these irons have worked for me. In fact the day before at the range I hit a bunch of shots trying to keep it low and I think I've gotten the hang of it. I really need to spend some time trying to learn to fade the ball.

10th hole--441--Uphill tiny par5. I hit a nice drive that leaves me 170. The wind has kicked up so I try and hit a low 5 iron and I don't pull it off. I pull it a little and it hits the cart path and leaves me a 30 yard chip. I hit a nice chip to 8 feet but I just miss the putt. 5

11th hole--396--Straight ahead short par 4 that slopes severely right. Hit a nice Mashie and leave myself 9 iron. I hit a towering shot just a little right of the green and it does not draw back. Easy chip but I miss the 5 footer for a 5.

12th hole--163--Knockdown 6 iron that I hit solid but pull left which leaves me a very delicate pitch downhill to a shortsided green. I do the worst thing possible and chunk the chip. I hit a nice second chip(grrr) but can't stop it. I hit the 10 footer for a 4

13th hole--339--I hit a very nice drive 308 yards which leaves me a little chip with PW. Hit a decent chip but still had 10 feet. Hit the 10 footer for bird. 3

14th hole--366--Flying high now and I think this game is easy. Hit a good Mashie that left me a 7 iron into the green. Just as I'm swinging the guy we are playing with starts driving off. It usually doesn't bother me but this time I completely pull hook the ball under a tree. Left with a tough chip I sail it over the green. and hit a horrible chip. 3 putt for a 7

15th hole--293--Fuming now and reach for the driver. Bunkers up by the green so I put it away and hit the Mashie instead. Hit a beauty that leaves me with a 9:00 SW. I hit it a little long but the ball comes back to about 7 feet. Miss the putt and tap in for 4.

16th hole--300--Hit a beautiful Mashie again and leave myself with SW.I've been working on my Pelz wedges so sometimes I'm going to hit some hosel rockets. I do that here. Left with a chip on a sidehill lie I hit it too far and into the bunker across the green. Hit a great bunker shot to gimme range. MISS THE FRIKKEN PUTT. God I was steaming at this point. 6

17th hole--134--Short uphill par 3. I don't realize that the flag is on the left side of the green because it's uphill. I hit a nice 9 iron that I think is on the left side of the green pin high. It is pin high but not on the green. Hit a very nice putt from off the green and tap in for 3

18th hole--490--Hit a very nice drive that leaves me 210. Water in front and I decide to lay up. Grab my club and walk to my ball. Notice that my iron says 4 on it but I know that my brain is screaming at me to lay up since I had been having issues with my long irons today. I don't listen to my brain and my ball goes bounding into the water. I hit a chip over the green and hit a nice putt down to 3 feet. Hit the putt for a 6.

Can't say that I'm happy with my play today. Very poor greenside play in terms of chips and pitches. Irons performed very well when I gave them a chance. I sometimes sway back instead of turn back on my backswing and this gives me a tendency to chunk my shots. I did that a lot today. I am really liking these irons though. I feel like I"m hitting them very solidly and the ball just flies off the face. Got to work on my aiming and turning this week at the range.

Great reviews, I am enjoying reading about these clubs. I think I will have to try them out.
Keep the writeup coming..

Great reviews CB and CL!! You guys are doing a fantastic job!!

Good stuff, CL, sounds like the irons are performing but its that chipping thats driving you crazy.

Good stuff guys.

CL, it sounds like the Di11s are doing for you what I think they're designed to do: help hit the ball straight. A few times you mentioned trying to hit a fade/draw but the ball flight remained straight. I think that's the strength of irons like this, which is a great thing in many cases.

You should hit them as soon as you can, SD, they are just a wonderful set of irons. If I'm lucky they will open the ranges back up tomorrow after our freak snow storm and I will be able to hit them myself.

Yea i'm definantly going to hit em asap but, Edwin Watts doesnt have em yet atleast they didnt 2 weeks ago. The only 2011 W/S equipment they have is the Vizor putter which i liked pretty good the 1st time i rolled it but, when i putted with it a couple of weeks ago i hated it. It felt way to heavy and, seems like its made for golfers that bend over kinda like Paddy does. It may work great for those that putt that way but, i stand up pretty straight and it doesnt work for me. Sorry i got a lil off topic but, keep up the great reviews guys.

My Irons Arrived Today!
DSCF0049.jpg

I have to say, just on first impressions these Irons are sharp looking
DSCF0057.jpg

Here is what the 1/2&1/2 shaft looks like, I love that they incorporated the red into the shaft
DSCF0051.jpg

I'm heading out to the range now, and will deliver a more lengthy report when I get back.

Once again many many thanks to THP and Wilson Staff for giving me the opportunity to test these irons

Ron, I didn't know you were a lefty? We're taking over. I love that you got them, then the first thing you did was go to the range with them. Good luck, have fun, looking forward to hearing how it went.

Ron, nice pics...those 1/2 shafts look pretty cool! I cant wait to hear how you like them

Awesome RIT! Looking forward to your thoughts on the halfandhalf shafts.

I want to expound a little bit on some things that I've said. I keep saying that all these clubs want to do is hit the ball high, straight, and long. And while this is true I don't think it's giving the proper thoughts that I'm getting with these irons. First off these are the longest irons by far that I've ever hit. But that is a product mostly I think because they are very highly lofted. These irons do want to hit the ball straight. Very straight. However I took one range session working on knockdown draws and I used that shot at least 5 times my next round and pulled the shots off flawlessly(well as flawlessly as I can anyway.) If you are a person that likes to work the ball I would still give these irons a look. I'm hitting consistent little draws with each iron in this set. I just need to work on my fade and I will be set. I don't want to compare these to any other irons as I feel it's my job to present these irons on their own. But for one time I want to say that for me these irons play like my old Cally X-14's and that is by far the highest compliment I can give a set of irons. I mean all last year I struggled with high scores. My first 2 rounds this year with these clubs and I shot mid 80's. I think that alone says that everyone should keep these irons in mind when deciding on their next set.

Good to see you got your Di11's Ron, look forward to your thoughts. And CL, nice update. I agree with you, starting out with a mid 80's round speaks volumes about these clubs.

Back