2012 Ultimate Golf Weekend Recap Thread

Two over the 72 holes I played. One on east, one on North. Both 3 jacks for bogey.

I had 4 of them over the 105+ holes I played...and 3 of them were in the same freaking round no surprise it was the new course

This is how I played it. Driver-8iron-11 feet-2putt par. Seemed like an innocent enough hole....

We will not discuss how I played the hole on Friday afternoon after pulling my drive over towards the bushes... :banghead:

The hard part about that hole is that not only is it one of the longer par 4's on that course, it's actually a hole that demands a good tee shot. Going way right is a lost ball (past the cart path), and going left gets you into the bushes. The real way to shorten the hole is hit it high over all of the bushes near the tee and land it in the 15th fairway to cut the dogleg a bunch. I got a little lucky on Saturday when my ball bounced past all of the bunkers at the corner of the dogleg.

Round Recaps…

Thursday afternoon I pulled up to Grand Cypress. The first face I saw was a familiar one, it was my old friend One-T and JB as they watched GolferGal park the Tour Van. I quickly met Chewie and Pmoa and then had to run off for my 1:10 tee time. A date with the woodshed, Ole Gray. This was my first time ever teeing it up with OG, even though I’ve known him since the 2010 outing at PGA National. Joining us was V.Man and Puttin4IsorryI’m late Jake. The front 9 was just myself, V Man and Ole Gray. Two great guys to play with. Ole Gray showed that he is still quite the hooker, but when he straightens his tee shots out damn they are good. V Man was like the model of consistency around the course. Both were very positive guys to play with and that made the round so much fun. When we finished 9 we had to wait for Jake to show up. We ended up waiting about a half hour, which was fine because V Man and I had never teed it up with the guy so we didn’t mind waiting. When he finally pulled up to Grand Cypress, he must have thought I was Yoccos because he started ordering me around to get the clubs out of his car and to throw them on the cart. What a nice guy lol. We decided to play 9 hole best ball match play which put Jake and V Man against Ole Gray and myself. Boy did we start off slow in fact we were 3 down with 4 to go. Or as Jake thought, 3 down with 2 to go. Premature celebration by him as Ole Gray led a charge to get us back and drained an 8 footer to finish the match A/S. It sure was a fun round. My highlight of it was spinning a ball off the island green and in to the water. Then teeing it up again and finding the drink, then once again and finding the bunker, only to hit that shot in the water too. Luckily Ole Gray was there and claimed his first two occupants of the Woodshed. I will gladly tee it up with all of those guys again, it was a lot of fun.

After the demo day I teed it up with some old friends, One-T, Arydolphin, and Staples(aka DirtyDawg). We got out for 9 on the New Course. We all seemed to play some good golf. Staples was hitting his driver on a string, it was sick to see. He better go OEM that Attas 3 shaft, and knowing him it’s already on order. This was just a nice relaxing 8.5 holes with guys that made it seem like we tee it up every week. At one point I hit Ary’s tour stiker in to the water, which was a low screaming line drive. Staples gives it a shot and hits a high towering 8 iron, what a show off that guy is. By the time we got to hole 7 our group turned in to a 7-some as Tadashi, War Eagle, and SW caught up with us. Ware Eagle had a huge welt on his calf compliments of SW. Since we had the THP Dinner we didn’t get to finish because Seth and Gus were working on 2 foot putts(I kid) on the green ahead of us.

Saturday Morning I had my much anticipated match against Yorkem. Joining us was SW and SeeMoreGuy. 3 guys that I met before but never teed it up with, so I was looking forward to it. All 3 of them hit it well that day. Yorkem led the group with 2 birdies and really impressed me with his game. It made me realize that I should never listen to anything Chunkylover says. He was smiles all day and had no need to break a keyboard. SMG got all excited when he thought he outdrove me when we both landed in a fairway bunker. Unfortunately it wasn’t true and the shot I faced was much more difficult because it was up against the lip. He made a great par on that hole and that was one of the highlights of the round for sure. I just knew he was going to buy one of those Classic drivers, heck if I hit it like he did, I would buy one too. SW, this was the first full round for me and him and right off the bat he almost drove us in to a pot bunker. One of the most fun guys to ever tee it up with and I will elaborate more on that for the Sunday Round.

I would talk about Saturday afternoon’s round, but really I don’t remember anything past the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hole. Only that at one point I was so out of it I told Cookie that he has a nice swing, but quickly corrected myself in telling him that he hits it well lol War and I had an epic match going on. Cookie and I lost to Freddie and War 1 up. It was fun, but I was just drained of energy.

Sunday’s round had me laughing from the first tee shot till the very last putt and that’s not an exaggeration. Played with One-T, Playdough, and SW. SW steps up for the first shot and rips it down the left side of the fairway on Number 9 South. But if you watched him you wouldn’t know what the hell he did. As soon as he hit it he busts out with a walrus type noise and starts moonwalking in pain. None of us could control ourselves we were laughing so freaking hard. Later on in the round he showed us the 3 steps to better golf which was step up, fart, and swing, all in one motion with no hesitation. Doing that kind of stuff when you are in a group with One-T, you know you are going to be seeing walrus moves and sounds all day long. Playdough was my cart partner. We got in to some good conversations about golf and other topics. He hits the ball great. Very solid off the tee and his short game is super sharp. I think he was a little mad that our horn didn’t work though. Anyone who can wear pants all weekend and not complain about being hot is alright in my book. I was pretty surprised to hear that he had never taken a lesson before. He told me it took him 4 months to learn to hit a high draw with the driver, I told him I only have 2 so we needed to get to work right away. I hope he makes it to outings in the future because I’d love to tee it up with him again. He shot a 78 but he could have been much lower, heck on the first 4 or 5 holes he had birdie putts inside of 10 feet. One-T, man what can I say, he was the first THPer I ever teed it up with so I always enjoy the company. The guy is all about having fun and enjoying the moment. He has a real solid golf game too. He showed us how good those Scor wedges are on the course. Once again a fun group that I would love to play with again.

One thing I liked about this outing was that I got to tee it up with people I had never teed it up with before. Playing with Playdough, Yorkem, SW, Staples, SMG, Tadashi, Cookie, War Eagle was nothing short of awesome. It’s what THP outings are all about in my book. Getting out and playing with new people.

#4 for me was a Mashie 3 wood to just in front of the bunkers. That left me 200 on the nose out. Hit my hybrid to 15 feet. Made the putt for birdie. Jake shook his head in disgust.

Deano, I could tee it up with you any day buddy!!

#4 for me was a Mashie 3 wood to just in front of the bunkers. That left me 200 on the nose out. Hit my hybrid to 15 feet. Made the putt for birdie. Jake shook his head in disgust.

well, I wish I could have come close to sniffing a bird on that hole. stupid hole

Deano, it was a blast and pleasure to tee it up with you. I would be more than happy to tee it up again with you again. That foursome was a great way to wrap up a great weekend. I dont think i laughed so hard all weekend. You got a great game and will be a great MC capt. I'm already planning to make next years outing and hope to get in a round with you again. Thanks for the complements on the game, its taken some work to get it back to where I used to be, but I finally feel its there and I hope by next years Outing i'll be at scratch for the first time in my life.

Deano, I could tee it up with you any day buddy!!

well, I wish I could have come close to sniffing a bird on that hole. stupid hole

I second that! Great guy, pure ball striker, and will make an excellent Morgan Cup Captain. Very positive guy that puts off good vibes which is what team golf is all about :clapp:

One other thing I wanted to say is that Bear4ever is a great guy. He let me tag along on his cab to the airport and we shared some nice conversation. Definitely a real gentleman that has an amazing golf game from what I hear.

One other thing I wanted to say is that Bear4ever is a great guy. He let me tag along on his cab to the airport and we shared some nice conversation. Definitely a real gentleman that has an amazing golf game from what I hear.

I was going to mention him in another recap post. Bear4ever and I just seemed to be around each other a bunch on Demo Day, esp around the contests. We talked about a bunch of different clubs and putters. Super nice guy, glad I got to meet him. I didn't get in a round with him, but I heard he has some great game.

I agree. We even talked a little physics at the banquet.

<<Nerd Alert>>> :bomb:

I have a feeling I would have been begging for a battery acid shot after that conversation hehe

I am not sure who won the Morgan Cup. I thought it was this weekend?

The Morgan Cup is in July. The 2012 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day was this past weekend. Check out the home page for a ton of links to what went on.

EDIT: JB quick on the trigger, as always.

no sir, thats late July. Trust me, its hard to miss. well, RX Gus missed last years.

Ok here's my recap....a little long but bear with me. First of all a big thanks goes to JB and GG for somehow managing to keep it all together while putting everything together in what appears to be a seemless undertaking to most but when you peel back the curtain, it's anything but a smooth process. The classic 'duck on the water' analogy....calm on the surface but churning below it. Being a part of this site as a staff member is truly amazing and special. I can't thank JB and GG enough for having me on their team. This is reinforced the most at Demo Day which for all intents and purposes is the Super Bowl for THP. It's truly mind bottling for forum members I know and don't know to ask me 'where's the 3w you guys wrote about' or 'can you tell me the difference between this club and that club?' and actually trust/care what I have to say. I think that's a real testament to what THP delivers and is about. This was perhaps the best mix of people we've ever had at an Outing! The Outing is culmination of a year (if not more) of working with companies to send whatever gear they want to us for this day and have them trust THP and its members to deliver thoughts and perspective on it all. By doing this it allows for the same thing to happen the following year.

Thursday- Buckjob picks me up at 6am and he hates that I'm bright eyed and ready to go already. Who knew that an Acura TL could hold 2 large travel bags, 2 big suitcases, and 2 duffle bags? Got to the airport in no time and Checked in. Then it was THP Bloody Mary time for me and Blue Moon for Buck (I think he's secretly metro)...now it's officially Outing Time and the excitement is building. Plane takes off early and arrives early (gotta love SW) and while going to get our bags and meet up with Yoccos I get a call from SethO....'Hanks it's Seth..what's up man?...nothing, whatcha doing?...getting our bags, wanna catch a ride wih us?..nah, I've got a ride already....oh, can we hop in too?...no, we're full....why'd ya call then?..I dunno, wanted to say hi.' Love that SethO. So we meet up with Yoccos and it's a bro-hug for me and a handshake for Buck but they're going to be friends, I can tell. We hop a shuttle to the resort and are amazed at the sheer size of the place and upon checking in see that we get free beer/cocktails with our arrival and check out.. Buck and Yoccos get right on that while we sort out our golf attire from our luggage as our rooms aren't ready. My Thursday round was with SeeMore Guy, Sharkwrestler, and Degoins on the North course I think. I've played with Shark and Degoins before but didn't have the pleasure with playing with Keith even though we've known each other since the original Outing. This group was so chill and fun to play with. Shark should be an official Wonder of the World. Not only can he drink mammoth proportions of alcohol and still sound sober but can play golf just like he's sober too. Remarkable. I was surprised to see Degoins playing since he had an inicident with his car but he's still hitting the bal a mile with the longest back swing you'l ever see. SeeMore Guy is one of the nicest, most genuine guys you'll ever meet but he's very funny as well. He sounds just like the guy from the Sprint commercials that says 'do you guys know how to post videos on facebook?' and I had him doing it quite often because it was so hysterical for me. I need that to be my ringtone for when he calls me I think. After the round it's off to the Villas to check in and a la Road Rules I'm the first one in so I grab the Master Suite upstairs. My Villa-mates were Buck (roomie), Bulldog, Bullfrog, VAVince, DirtyDawg, White Rhino, and MikeDean so we had a great group of guys to hang out with. Meet and Greet was great where it felt just like a family reunion meeting old friends again and meeting new people and becoming friends with them instantly. That's the power of THP.

Friday
- Demo Day! I sneak out of the room around 6:30 not knowing I had to since Buck was pretending to sleep so he could see me tip-toeing around the room like an idiot and meet GG for breakfast. She was a little late as she forgot to bring her golf shoes with her so she had to go back. While we're eating JB pops in and he looks like he's been up since 5 and has already played 18 and is ready to go knock out another 18 with his energy level. Trust me folks, being around the guy and working with him in person I can safely say that no one out works or out hustles this dude. The THP Staff gather around the Rangefinder and it's quite a site. Such a cool machine. Little do I know that inside it and its belly are more clubs than we've ever had at an Outing. Somehow we are able to set up everything with 15 mins to spare before anyone arrives. I'm working the flip cam getting video of first arrivals and such and it's funny to see everyone's face when they see the sheer vastness of what's out there. and that's not including putters either which are elsewhere. Demo Day was extra special because you were able to take the clubs to various practice holes which was really cool. The contests were another hit this year and whle draining a 100' putt one handed with a full cup of water in my mouth was exciting, it was even more exciting to see and feel the energy everyone has during these contests. The Banquet that night was amazing. Probably the best food we've had since we've been doing the Outings. It's a great time to catch up with those you haven't been able to do so with yet and a nice time to talk about all of the clubs that were hit. I know I'll never look at tortilla soup the same way ever again. Cream based > broth based for sure.

Saturday- I played 2 rounds on Saturday. My first group was myself, Biggsy, TrueFX, and MikeDean on the New Course and once again it was another really fun and chill group. Just 4 guys out there tearing up a golf course. TrueFx wore sleeves in 90* heat that made me sweat that much more but he swore he was comfortable. I guess so because the dude was bombing drives off the tee! Biggsy is someone I've known and talked with since the original outing but yet we've never teed it up together so I was glad to have him in my group. He's still long off the tee as ever but I was really impressed with his short game. It was nice to hear how he attacks a pin, etc and I plan to use some of his hints going forward. I think he was surprised I didn't yell or toss a club during the round since that used to be my rep so I'm glad I disappointed him on that. MikeDean is a great guy and very laid back. He's a true family guy and I'd tee it up with him again anytime. He almost had me thinking that Ohio was not so bad of a place. Almost. I was by far the shortest guy off the tee with this group but it was a great time with these guys!

My replay round was with Mward, ddxu, and marco playdough. I didn't know one of these guys going into the round but after playing with them I'd tee it up with any of them again in a heartbeat. I think we all talked the entire round, made fun of each other, trash talked, searched for wildlife, etc and yet it didnt feel like we were even playing golf. I was the tallest guy in the group yet I was the shortest off the tee, but not by too much. These guys can really pound the ball! Mward is like a wind up toy....wind him up and watch him go. He says the funniest things out of nowhere which can wreck a backswing. He reminds me of a righty Mike Weir for some reason but his mind works a lot like mine which is very, very scary. Playdough is cool just becuase he wore pants to golf in FL. That's just the start of this guy's cool...he's long off the tee, has a sick iron game, and can flat out roll the rock. He's very mellow which makes him even funnier to be around. I had to count my irons every couple of holes to make sure one or two didn't go missing because I think he secretly wanted to steal my J40 CB's and do dirty things with them. ddxu was a great guy to ride along with and if we weren't making fun of mward we were busting on each other. More him busting on me but it was all good. He sure loves his Bridgestone balls and was always in the fairway with his drives. Watching those guys go after each other off the tee in an attempt to see who was the longest hitter was so fun to watch.

The Villa Crawl was a truly unique experience and felt like I was back in school bouncing from house to house. All I can remember is trying helping herd people with Hawk tot he next location, spicy meatballs, candy, Natty Light, Fizzy drink, fried chicken, taquitos, candy, Cookies balls (the dessert, not literally), jello shots, and wings. It was great to share all of this with everyone for sure!

Sunday- Sunday was 2 more rounds of golf. The first round was myself, The Belbs, MileHigh,and Fildini. This was the most 'interesting' round of the outing for me due to the Fildini Factor. You have to play with him to experience it. The dude has the longest backswing this side of degoins and always has a knck for hoseling drives into the water no matter where he may be. MileHigh did not find many, if any at all, bunkers contrary to his reputation from a previous round where he found every single bunker on the course acording to my sources. He was real fun to tee it up with and definitely hits it a loooong way. Then there's the Belbs...he could be one of my favorite Canadians out there. Ranks right up there with Coolbreeze he's that cool. The dude just bombs driver after driver and leaves himself with nothing but a wedge into most par 4's nd some par 5's. It's crazy to be hitting your second or third shot while he's still sitting on his first shot but that's golf with Belbs. It ws my first time teeing it up with him and it'll be great to do so again in the future.

My replay round was myself, The Belbs (again!), mward (again?), and MrsBelbs aka Flashy. We were pretty pooped out at this point so we did a scramble against G4L's crew behind us. Flashy was just like one of the guys out on the course minus the farting and cursing. She was out secret weapon on par 3's as she was within 10' of every single one, the girl's got some game! And she only drinks rum and cokes on the course. I see why Belbs married her. Belbs at this point in the day has made me an honorary Canadian and is calling me Hanksy like I'm a hockey player or something eh and has me drinking beer on the course which I rarely do. Silly Canadian influenece. The highlight of my course time was watching Belbs miss an albatross (not the club or bird) on the 18th of the North course. Dude hits driver 308 and then lob wedges one 6" in front of the pin, hits the pin dead on, only to have the ball settle back 4" from the cup. All in front of an audience too!!!! Poor guy had to settle for an eagle. Show off. Mward is in heaven because he's riding with Flashy while me and Belbs are bromancing it up. Actually we were too lazy to switch carts around but we won't tell mward that. Meanwhile, mward was on a cosmic quest to outdrive the Belbs and win Flashy's heart. He managed to do this 2/14 times but Flashy said she doesn't like being taller than guys so she'll stay with Belbs. Better luck next time mward!

Monday- myself, Buckjob, Golf4life, and Yoccos all have one more round in us so we hit the New course one more time. As it's been said in here already, Buck hits it a long way with some great height. Astronaut high I heard at one point. Sick wedge game too and has flop shots that he can use that would make Phil jealous. I've known Buck for almost a year now and tee it up with him regularly and he's always the same way on the course. Funny, talks about everything, is really good at golf, and doesn't care how good you are or aren't. Just a solid guy on and off the course. Golf4life is another one I tee it up with here at home and it was good to tee it up with him here as we ahaven't played in a bit. I was anxious to see him hit his new Classic driver and new RAZR Black irons and he put on a display for us. At one point he was on a par, eagle, birdie streak that had us wondering if he was going to just stop playing right there. Great dude who hits it a ton too and does some scary things with wedges with the spin he gets from them. I've never teed it up with Yoccos before but I was glad I did. Nicest, down to earth guy who knows his stuff. The guy is good off the tee and great with wedges and has the best one-liners. A real good combo adna joy to play with. Looking forward to coming out your way in the fall dude for some desert golf!

Random shout outs

Bulldog- we'll tee it up one of these days dude
Seth- call me, we'll do sushi
Kmac- Southwest dude...bags fly free! Even slightly overweight ones!
One-T- I bow down to your metroness
Tadashi- I want just half of your coolness
ddec- Hi Dean!
P4B- thanks for your kind words man, we're going to rip it up in July bro
Flashy- thanks for letting me borrow some of your SPF Nuclear sunscreen
Yoccos- feel free to crash whenever you want man, mi casa su casa
Hawk- remember the days of socks and JB specials? We're all growns up now!
Belbs- move to the US, I beg you
Cookie- love your balls
Mward- gotta tee it up when you come east dude
playdough- do you miss my irons yet?
ddxu- no more jello shots
MikeDean- Ohio is nice...not cool...it's definitely nice now after hanging out with you
VA Vince- I don't want to know where you get the pics you text me but keep sending them
Bullfrog- you beat out puking on a rental car and riding an elevator while being hammered by getting bombed and being carted off the course. I pass the title to you....wellplayed sir...well played
White Rhino- Wake up!

If you made it this far without skimming I commend you. Thanks again to JB and GG for putting on another great show and if this one is going to be topped (and it will) I can't wait to see how it's going to be done!

Hanks....out.

Awesome writeup Hanks.

great writeup Hanks, I had a great time slapping wedges all over god's green earth with you

thats an excellent writeup Hanks

no sir, thats late July. Trust me, its hard to miss. well, RX Gus missed last years.

Thanks, for some reason, I thought the Morgan Cup and golf outing was the same weekend.
How many people were at the golf outing last weekend??

Thanks, for some reason, I thought the Morgan Cup and golf outing was the same weekend.

about 70

Think we had like 75 golfers and some brought non golfing spouses.

Excellent Hanks. Magnum approves. I enjoy your recaps.

thanks buddy....it wasn't the same without you there man. looking forward to seeing you in July!

Excellent Hanks. Magnum approves. I enjoy your recaps.

thanks man...we need to tear it up on the course sometime

thats an excellent writeup Hanks

wedge slapping....epic. we paid for unmlimited golf so it made sense to see every nook and cranny of the course

great writeup Hanks, I had a great time slapping wedges all over god's green earth with you

thank you man.....another outing down, many more to go!

Awesome writeup Hanks.

Back