235 in the fairway 8/10 times is a lot better than 250 in the fairway 2/10 times... At my home course I hit wedges into the green all the time cause it's so short.

first off what if you play another course? and second if i was hitting a wedge into every hole i would take your 3 wood out of your bag too and get some iron practice that course is way to short to be fun IMO.

I'm all over the 5 wedge train, I've been talking about doing that for a while myself, going 48, 52, 56, 60, 64.

I think this would work for me as the accuracy for me isn't quite where I want it with my irons and approach shots, so I've got alot of shots from 20 yards off the green. I actually play quite a lot of high lob/flop shots as it helps me get it up, on, and stopped. I hit my 60* enough that it's visibly much more worn than my others, but they have their place, much like the fact that my 5 iron gets very little usage, but I still keep it in the bag.

Seems like I also have a good number of shots per round at unusual yardages, so instead of swinging for example a 58* at 75% to get 60 yards, I can get near full swing with a 64*.

Just my two cents.

I've gone completely away from this idea. I will go up to GW in whatever set I play and then go 54/58 for wedges. I'm trying to uncomplicate the game. Too many choices leads to too much thought for me

I've gone completely away from this idea. I will go up to GW in whatever set I play and then go 54/58 for wedges. I'm trying to uncomplicate the game. Too many choices leads to too much thought for me

Agreed, I was gaming the 61 and just hit too many poor shots with it. Much more consistent with a max of 58 in the bag. Not to mention, if I had 5 wedges, it would totally mess up my ability to carry the woods and hybrids that the courses I play require.

I agree. I am actually pondering going from 4 wedges to 3 wedges and trying to get better at different shots with the same wedge.

I have a PW, a 50* and a 56*. It's all I need. I think pigeon hole'ing yourself by having a set wedge for a set shot or distance completely discredits what wedges are intended to do. And that's to be versatile.

Sent from my forged iPad

My bag will eventually be:
Driver, 3W, 3H, 4H, 6-9, 47, 52, 56, 60, 64, putter

I went down this same thought process not too long ago, but decided a 58 was as high as I needed and a 46/50/54/58 works great for me now!

I think this is key.

I also feel like 5 wedges is overkill. Rather than buying a wedge for every different scenario, I think it would be more beneficial to your game if you learned how to use 2-3 wedges for everything, no more than 4.

Couple of other problems. I used to play flops and really high pitches to pins all the time. I thought it was easier just to stick it right next to the flag. I started learning how to play low chips and run the ball up, and was able to get it closer more often resulting in lower scores. On the other hand, if you HAVE to flop it over traps, bushes, etc. every time you're around the green, then you need to learn how to miss better. Missing short sided forcing you to flop all the time is fairly bad course management.

I would assume you want 5 wedges because you think it would help lower your scores, but take it from what most others are saying, and try to get comfortable playing low bump and runs and aiming for the fat part of greens. That will REALLY help you lower your scores.

I don't want 5 wedges to lower my scoring. It's definitely overkill. I want 5 wedges for a) the experiment and b) have 5 (6 if you count my iron set PW) to swap out with each other as course conditions change. I think my scores would be lowest with 3 wedges (current setup), I just don't have the right 3 wedges is the problem.

I have a PW, a 50* and a 56*. It's all I need. I think pigeon hole'ing yourself by having a set wedge for a set shot or distance completely discredits what wedges are intended to do. And that's to be versatile.

Sent from my forged iPad

Bingo! That is exactly what I found out and I played better because of it.

seems like overkill to me. I have a 52*, 56*, 62* and I dont feel I would need anything else.

I have a PW, a 50* and a 56*. It's all I need. I think pigeon hole'ing yourself by having a set wedge for a set shot or distance completely discredits what wedges are intended to do. And that's to be versatile. Sent from my forged iPad
This is my thinking as well.

Different stroke for different folks. Do what makes you happy and/or works for your game. It's a game thats supposed to be fun. If 5 wedges makes it more fun for you, so be it. That being said...

That's a good piece of chunkywisdom right there. My set is strongly lofted with my PW checking in at 44˚. Used to carry a 48˚, 54˚ & 60˚. Decided to drop the 60 because I felt like it was hurting me more than helping (read: skulling at its finest), and the 54 wasn't working for me out of the sand.. I now carry a 48˚, 52˚ & 56˚. I use them interchangeably around the greens depending on what I'm trying to do. I have yet to find a shot that I cant pull off with the 56, that I was able to pull off with the 60. It's been a learning process as it requires a little more finesse to get the distances right. I hit one over a fully grown oak tree yesterday. Surprised me too, but just goes to show that shots like that are possible. YMMV

I still have a 60 sitting with my reserves and extras. Just haven't found a reason to put it back in the bag yet.

Sent from my forged iPad

I don't need extra room in my bag, but if I did my 52 or possibly my 48 would be the first ones I'd look at dropping.

I took my 60 out of my bag last year and replaced it with a 58. My PW is 45 then I go to 50, 54, 58. I really see no need for anything over 58 since I can easily open the face and add 2 or 3 degrees more loft if needed. I love the 50 and 54! Use the 58 about twice a round. That said, if you feel like you want more wedges, go for it. Golf can be played many different ways.

Of course it's not my money, but you said that you wanted to add a few wedges at a time do to not wanting to spend a lot at once. You also stated that you can't hit driver well.

Not sure if you have thought of this or not, but instead od spending $400+ on wedges, why not take some of that money and get lessons, so that way you are able to hit driver well?

Of course it's not my money, but you said that you wanted to add a few wedges at a time do to not wanting to spend a lot at once. You also stated that you can't hit driver well.

Not sure if you have thought of this or not, but instead od spending $400+ on wedges, why not take some of that money and get lessons, so that way you are able to hit driver well?

I do get lessons, two a month. All last year I was smoking my driver. The phase right now it I am not. Not necessarily totally scrap the driver, this is mostly an experiment along with then having six different wedge options to sub in and out depending on the course. The actual having five wedges would probably not last much longer than a few weeks. Always an option to keep the driver and 5 wedges and scrap the 3H or 4 iron too. I like to have options, which I don't have much of now.

Icejack I do find the idea intriguing. Good luck with the search man. For me though, too much effort. Once my bag is set I don't care what course I'm playing. Have yet to find a course that my wedges have held me back. Just as a conversation, what happens when you forget a certain wedge for a certain course? Will it be in your head that you have the wrong equipment?

Icejack I do find the idea intriguing. Good luck with the search man. For me though, too much effort. Once my bag is set I don't care what course I'm playing. Have yet to find a course that my wedges have held me back. Just as a conversation, what happens when you forget a certain wedge for a certain course? Will it be in your head that you have the wrong equipment?

Such as playing the course with the most bunkers in the state and forgetting my sand wedge? Yeah that would probably bother me. But, I make sure I have at least 18 tees, at least 6 good balls, two gloves, in case one gets too sweaty, an extra pair of socks, a water, Mio, and that my clubs are clean before each round. So the chances of not changing my clubs if need be somehow slipping through there is slim... besides, if I'm playing a round where I need to change clubs, it's gonna be at a higher end course than mine and I will be excited to change the clubs out.

Such as playing the course with the most bunkers in the state and forgetting my sand wedge? Yeah that would probably bother me. But, I make sure I have at least 18 tees, at least 6 good balls, two gloves, in case one gets too sweaty, an extra pair of socks, a water, Mio, and that my clubs are clean before each round. So the chances of not changing my clubs if need be somehow slipping through there is slim... besides, if I'm playing a round where I need to change clubs, it's gonna be at a higher end course than mine and I will be excited to change the clubs out.

Gotcha. You must not be old yet. I have forgotten my clubs a few times. So I've clearly skimmed the thread, you are going to get 5 wedges in the 46-62 range? I know it's been said but SCOR is out why? Seems it would be perfect. Sorry but I was slammed at work today and couldn't keep up with the threads

IceJack gets messed with a little more than the average person on THP. I just wanted to throw that out there. Moving on.

I used to carry four wedges, but decided this year, I am going down to only 3, with 54* being my highest lofted wedge. I used to think my troubles started around the green and from 100 yards in and that I need to carry a wedge for every distance. It took me a while to realize, I think carrying so many wedges compounded my problems, as I was always second guessing myself on which wedge to use and hitting bad shots as a result. This past week was the best I played from tee to green in ever and I think it was a result of me not second guessing myself on wedge shots, chips and pitches and just committing to the shot with the wedge I had in hand.
I thought I was the only person who said things he didn't like. I think 5 wedges is at least two too many, depending on what you are calling wedges.

I thought I was the only person who said things he didn't like. I think 5 wedges is at least two too many, depending on what you are calling wedges.

Yeah but he won't have all 5 in there at once. At least that is what my skimming has surmised. He's looking at having 3 wedges in his bag but have 5 wedges to choose from.

I think anyone should be able to get around with 3 wedges just fine. Anything 58 and over usually costs golfers more strokes than it saves them.

I think anyone should be able to get around with 3 wedges just fine. Anything 58 and over usually costs golfers more strokes than it saves them.

I completely agree with this. The 58 has been so much easier to hit from a tight fairway lie and I've yet to find a shot that I couldn't hit around the green. 58 is as high as I will go and quite honestly I beat 56 would be fine as well.

Yeah but he won't have all 5 in there at once. At least that is what my skimming has surmised. He's looking at having 3 wedges in his bag but have 5 wedges to choose from.
Then he should change the title of the thread. It says 5 wedge setup. That means having 5 wedges in the bag. Maybe 6 if he's not counting the PW.

Back