Then he should change the title of the thread. It says 5 wedge setup. That means having 5 wedges in the bag. Maybe 6 if he's not counting the PW.

I just re-read the original post and I definitely understood it to mean all 5 in the bag with the mention of dropping the driver. Said that he has low GIR and needs these wedges for all of the different types of shots he plays. My reply earlier was based on that.

The plan I am thinking about is to get five wedges and put them all in the bag at first and see what comes of it. After that experiment likely fails, I'll have 5 wedges that I can swap in and out as course conditions change.

SCOR is out because a) I have nowhere with in a few hundred miles of me to try them free, and b) I won't be buying these all at once, and that makes the SCORs too expensive.

FYI - you don't have to buy all the SCOR's at once to get the package price. You could order 3 for $399 or whatever, and then add 2 on and just pay the price difference between the 3 and 5 wedge set. This is what I did.

And regarding demo, I believe someone already said there is a 30 day money back guarantee so you could try just one if you wanted.

I think this is ridiculous and I think you should learn to hit all of the shots with a normal amount of wedges. But that is purely my opinion.

The plan I am thinking about is to get five wedges and put them all in the bag at first and see what comes of it. After that experiment likely fails, I'll have 5 wedges that I can swap in and out as course conditions change.

SCOR is out because a) I have nowhere with in a few hundred miles of me to try them free, and b) I won't be buying these all at once, and that makes the SCORs too expensive.

Gotcha. So you are looking at getting some used wedges? Man if only I knew of a place that had 3 Eidolon wedges up for sale lol. Do they all need to be the same or are you just looking for any 46-62 wedges?

I think this is ridiculous and I think you should learn to hit all of the shots with a normal amount of wedges. But that is purely my opinion.
I think it is the opinion of the majority of people.

I am going to a 5 wedge setup this year (45,50,54,60,64) I think it is going to be fun. I have the room in my bag to put in the 64 and find that a time or 2 a round I need to get over a green side bunker or have no green to work with. I am not good at opening up my 60 and I find that the uncertainty I have with opening up the lob costs me shots. I think the high lob will help me. Some people like to fill up the top end of their bags, others like the low end, different strokes for different folks.

Gotcha. So you are looking at getting some used wedges? Man if only I knew of a place that had 3 Eidolon wedges up for sale lol. Do they all need to be the same or are you just looking for any 46-62 wedges?

When did I say used? All I said was I couldn't afford 5 new at once. After my birthday I'll be able to buy 3, then maybe add one in April and one in May. And yes, I'd like them all to be the same.

Define a normal amount... three seems standard and more and more people are going to four, what's one more?

As I've said six times, the 5 wedges thing would last like a month then after that I would be swapping out.

Personally I after my PW I have a 50, 55 and 62. I don't know when I would ever need a wedge of a different loft as I've never struggled with choosing a shot with the wedges I have. My issue with that many wedges would be too much choice. I think I would get myself into trouble by using the wrong wedge although I guess like anything you'll adapt to whats in your bag over time.
Some have said in this thread that above 60 is too much loft but I have to disagree.
I can think of at least 7 holes at my home course that I would use my 62* LW fairly regularly. These holed the back of the greens are protected by small coffee bush scrub and then beyond that bush is just grass. The bush rests about 5-6 feet from the green and is about 2m high and goes right to the ground. Basically if your ball rolls through it then your only option is to go over the bush. So quite often you'll need a club in the bag that will launch the ball very high very quickly and will only go a few metres. I may only be 15 yards from the pin but I wouldn't be able to see it through the bush's. I struggle with bounce when opening my 55* wedge and will often blade it when trying so the 62* is perfect for that. It's also my go to club for hitting out of the sand.
But 5 wedges? I don't think I could do it but then I'm aiming not to spend that much time directly around the green and if I do miss it I try to minimise the damage but still being close.

Couple people say that it's difficult to open up a wedge and hit it without blading/chunking it. Then practice it! You can look up videos/read about how to effectively open wedges and practice that... FOR FREE! Saves money... and the skill is invaluable. There are no shortcuts in this game...

More power to ya buddy. Good luck with this experiment, but this thread makes my head spin. I'm with your friend that said master as many shots as you can with a sand wedge or somethin. You can add and adjust from there. I just added a fourth if you count a PW and I think I'd rather have carry 5 drivers than 5 wedges lol.

My thought is spend some time really working on your driver and get it figured out. I dont think your going to see much difference on what you can do between the 58 and 62. If you want to start your wedged off at 46 you might not have many options so I think the scor system would be best so you can keep them all in the same family I know the initial price is something hard to swallow but as you save up you might just learn to hit the driver and use that cash for a few extra rounds. Good luck though we all have our bags set up to our feel if it works more power to ya

I'm a 5 wedge user. I've been doing it for 3 months now.

My bag is
Driver
2h
4-9
Pw 44
Aw 49
Gw 52
Sw 56
Lw 60

This set up works well for me. I used to carry a 3w and 3h but the distance gap was only about 15 yards. I split the distance with my 2h and then added the 52. I'm comfortable with driver off the tee. At my home course none of the par 5s are reachable in 2 so a 3w didn't help me.

I use the 60 around the greens. 52 is for full shots at 100 yards and longer chips. 56 is full shots about 85 and mid length chip. It's been working well for me. For me it was really about the full shot a 100 yards. My AW is for about 115 it was just too big of a gap to the 56*.

If I did a 5 wedge setup I'd probably start from the 60 degree and work my way down as well. I'd probably keep a 5 wood and forgo the 3 wood/iron.

Couple people say that it's difficult to open up a wedge and hit it without blading/chunking it. Then practice it! You can look up videos/read about how to effectively open wedges and practice that... FOR FREE! Saves money... and the skill is invaluable. There are no shortcuts in this game...

For me personally, having wedges saves money. Rather spend 100 bucks on an extra wedge than 180 on another hybrid or 230 for another wood. If you don't have a problem getting to any par 5 in regulation, why not try something different? If you are having trouble doing that, I wouldn't recommend going to a 5 or 4 wedge setup.

What makes you NEED 14 clubs? I play with 13, SOMETIMES even 12. Playing with 12 often SAVES me STROKES. Which is what people spend money on trying to SAVE. You should TRY it and SEE if it WORKS before unnecessarily SPENDING you or your PARENTS' MONEY.

For me personally, having wedges saves money. Rather spend 100 bucks on an extra wedge than 180 on another hybrid or 230 for another wood. If you don't have a problem getting to any par 5 in regulation, why not try something different? If you are having trouble doing that, I wouldn't recommend going to a 5 or 4 wedge setup.

What makes you NEED 14 clubs? I play with 13, SOMETIMES even 12. Playing with 12 often SAVES me STROKES. Which is what people spend money on trying to SAVE. You should TRY it and SEE if it WORKS before unnecessarily SPENDING you or your PARENTS' MONEY.

No need to yell, what are you talking about parents money? Where did that come from?

No need to yell, what are you talking about parents money? Where did that come from?

The OP is very young. Wasn't directed at you.

I shot my best 9 ever with 5 clubs. Too bad it was only like 1900 yards. I would have shot lower that round if I had all my irons. In fact, might have even made par. I was 2 over. Do you remember the thread where we talked about my dad's equipment beliefs? He wouldn't give my two cents for golf equipment if I got on the floor and begged. Whenever I buy golf equipment, I guarantee you it was hard earned cash.

Islander said:

I'm almost 16. No income for another month yet.

I shot my best 9 ever with 5 clubs. Too bad it was only like 1900 yards. I would have shot lower that round if I had all my irons. In fact, might have even made par. I was 2 over. Do you remember the thread where we talked about my dad's equipment beliefs? He wouldn't give my two cents for golf equipment if I got on the floor and begged. Whenever I buy golf equipment, I guarantee you it was hard earned cash.

What makes you need 14 clubs?

I use 18 clubs. Your regular clubs, and 5 wedges.

I just think 5 wedges is overkill. I carry 3 wedges the majority of the time if you count the PW. (PW, AW and 56*). Depending on the course I will bring the 60*, but not very often.

Last edited:

Good question. I have 12 in the bag right now. I am shooting in the low to mid 70's. I only have two wedges besides my PW. I said it earlier in this thread. Too many wedges creates a lack of creativity and trust in your wedges. I imagine the intrigue to have 5 is so that you can put the same swing on every one of them and use the loft to dictate your distance. I would much rather rely on feel and vision. That's a massive part of golf to me.

I understand why someone would want to do this. I just don't see how it could be all that beneficial to "improving scores"

More wedges is detrimental to an amateurs short game. I can almost guarantee you that. It gives you too many options rather than having more options with one club, you have too many options with too many clubs. I like to be confident about my short game, not play roulette with it.
Good question. I have 12 in the bag right now. I am shooting in the low to mid 70's. I only have two wedges besides my PW. I said it earlier in this thread. Too many wedges creates a lack of creativity and trust in your wedges. I imagine the intrigue to have 5 is so that you can put the same swing on every one of them and use the loft to dictate your distance. I would much rather rely on feel and vision. That's a massive part of golf to me.

I understand why someone would want to do this. I just don't see how it could be all that beneficial to "improving scores"

Back