Blind Ball Testing Review Thread

I strongly recommend not doing that. We sent 6 golf balls to people for them to put into play and review.

I think I was misunderstood or miss wrote. I'm not going to cut up a golf ball I can play with. After testing is done I'll cut one up that I wouldn't play with anymore to see the insides.

I use to be quite the "doodler" back in my school days, I may have to try my hand at getting the THP Logo on a few of these!

THP Tin Cup Maker... DUH... LOL

Got my package in the mail today...cant wait to try these out this weekend!!
DSC00591.jpg

DSC00582.jpg

Even the sleeves are unlabeled....
DSC00583.jpg

Inside each sleeve, 3 brand new balls with no markings at all
DSC00587.jpg

Closeup view of one of the balls
DSC00590.jpg

Sorry you give me 3 golfballs and a table and this is what happens :D
DSC00594.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

Did my best to get this on there for you JB!!
DSC00595.jpg

Other side of the ball!!

Once again Thanks to THP, JB, GG and the Mystery OEM for this great opportunity!!! Can't wait to get these on the course Saturday morning and see how it goes!

Im in the same boat as your Spank, really hoping Ms. Emily doesnt wash out my round this weekend. Granted I am on the West Coast vs East Coast, so I am hoping I will be good to go.

Also, the dimple pattern is interesting to say the least. The ball has a triangle of 3 small dimples on, what I can guess is either the top/bottom or left/right of the ball. Those three dimples have intrigued me.

Same here. Did you notice the small dimples than run parallel to those (I'll call it along the equator). Looks like 4 strategically placed ones somewhat equidistant from each other. Again I have no clue to what these do but it'll be cool to find out once testing is done.

Has anyone counted the dimples? I am curious how many dimples there are on the ball.
Agreed, it really defeats the purpose of a blind test. Like I said above, I am waiting to hear about the first person to cut it open.

I am tempted to do this (count the dimples). I just don't have the time nor the patience to do it I think. As far as that last comment... I hope no one does it. It goes along the whole, this is a "testing" and not a "guessing", type deal. But of course, you and I know, sometimes it's just a little hard to compute for some folks.

I can't wait to hear from the rest of the testers as well so we can all compare notes. It'll sure be interesting.

I cant wait to read people's thoughts on these balls. I love the thought of no bias in this testing.

Balls came so more pics...

mysteryball2.jpg

mysteryball1.jpg

I started to, but that is a difficult task when you dont have a starting point and finishing point to focus on. The only way I figured I could do the count is if I used a marker and dotted every single dimple.
That is what I did with a sharpie. You'll never have a problem identifying your ball afterwards. :D

Oh I am so cutting one open, but not until later in the test. Basically once I have a ball that's been beat up I'm clamping this thing in a vice and ripping it up.
Not sure why this was interpreted by some, I read it as him wanting to do it after the test.

Sorry JB couldn't help myself. I had to cut open the ball and I was shocked what I saw!!!!

mysteryball3.jpg

OK no more joking I promise. There's not a chance I'm going to spoil the testing and try and find what ball it is. Im very stoked to have the chance to test these. After I feed the kid will get some initial numbers.

That is what I did with a sharpie. You'll never have a problem identifying your ball afterwards. :D

Not sure why this was interpreted by some, I read it as him wanting to do it after the test.

Because it said "later in the test" not after the test.

Sorry JB couldn't help myself. I had to cut open the ball and I was shocked what I saw!!!!

mysteryball3.jpg

OK no more joking I promise. There's not a chance I'm going to spoil the testing and try and find what ball it is. Im very stoked to have the chance to test these. After I feed the kid will get some initial numbers.

Wow, that ball must get a lot of tail.

Because it said "later in the test" not after the test.

I think it's been clarified. I will not under any circumstances cut one up until after it's revealed *and* the ball is roughed up past playable. Again, sorry to get everyone worked up, it was not my intent.

Mystery balls arrived at the NE office of THP....initial thoughts are that the cover doesn't appear overly 'soft' and doesn't let you get your nail into it like some balls....and the dimple pattern is really unique. Echoing what Spank said, the size, location, and position of some of the dimples is really interesting. Can't wait to hit the practice area with them this weekend!! Thanks again to THP and 'Company X' for this testing opportunity!

26ab05a2.jpg

1257eb16.jpg

Feed back #1

OK so I just hit about 60 balls into the net with driver. I use a Zelocity Pure Contact monitor. I don't consider this a 100% accurate monitor, but it's close. And it's consistent so it's good for comparisons. I typically see the ball go further on the course but part of that might be I know I hold myself back a little bit hitting into the net. Missing the net would not be good!!!

The three balls I hit were Srixon Soft-Feels, E6's, and the Ball-X.

The furthest carry I had all night was 238 and that was ball-x. The ball speed was measured at 140 mph. Ball-X had 228-238 carries ignoring misshits (I spray the clubhead to see where I hit the ball on the face).

E6's were next 228-234 carries. The Soft-feel were 224-230 carries. I did not hit enough to really put a stock in these numbers and only kept track of high and low. And I play the E6's and Soft-feel as much to eliminate side-spin as anything else, I'd glady give up 10 yards to keep the ball straight so I'll have to see on the course.

After that the gnats and heat got to me so that's it for tonight.

Feed back #1

OK so I just hit about 60 balls into the net with driver. I use a Zelocity Pure Contact monitor. I don't consider this a 100% accurate monitor, but it's close. And it's consistent so it's good for comparisons. I typically see the ball go further on the course but part of that might be I know I hold myself back a little bit hitting into the net. Missing the net would not be good!!!

The furthest carry I had all night was 238 and that was ball-x. The ball speed was measured at 140 mph. Ball-X had 228-238 carries ignoring misshits (I spray the clubhead to see where I hit the ball on the face).

E6's were next 228-234 carries. The Soft-feel were 224-230 carries. I did not hit enough to really put a stock in these numbers and only kept track of high and low. And I play the E6's and Soft-feel as much to eliminate side-spin as anything else, I'd glady give up 10 yards to keep the ball straight so I'll have to see on the course.

How was the sidespin with these balls (if your monitor shows it)? Also, is the cover made of tour urethane or a lower quality cover?

Good info LR.

LR i am curious why you want to cut the ball open? What will you learn? Just asking not judging!

I think it's been clarified. I will not under any circumstances cut one up until after it's revealed *and* the ball is roughed up past playable. Again, sorry to get everyone worked up, it was not my intent.

Nice review and stats...keep it coming

Feed back #1

Nice write up LR! I wish I had access to a monitor besides taking my "X" balls to Golf Galaxy or Dick's. I will definitely try to get these out to the chipping/putting green once they arrive. I'm not sure if mine were delivered today or not cuz I work a half day to day 8-8, 12 hours half day... LOL I will check when I get home. And get this started!

How was the sidespin with these balls (if your monitor shows it)? Also, is the cover made of tour urethane or a lower quality cover?

My monitor does not do side spin. It's really is just ball speed and an extrapolated carry based on 6 yards of tracking and the ball speed. It's better then nothing but not a pro monitor or anything.

LR i am curious why you want to cut the ball open? What will you learn? Just asking not judging!

To look at the layers that make up the ball. See how hard or soft they are, how big each of the layers are. And I just like breaking stuff open and using power tools :)

Feed back #1

Nice work! I had planned on getting out for some short game, but thanks to the lovely afternoon Florida showers that idea got rained out. Will be on the course tomorrow, so all is well.

Great write ups!

Enjoyed the stats, LR! Did you notice any difference in feel or sound off the driver?

Great paint job, w.e!

Back