Blind Ball Testing Review Thread

I figured it was a B330rx, or some variant. The B330rx is a great ball, played it plenty of times, I was hoping it was new though.

So even though I got a great deal on Pentas yesterday, I ran out tonight and grabbed a couple dozen B330-RX, one box white and one yellow!

I will be putting them into play as my new ball at 7am tomorrow!!

I haven't played a yellow ball in years, can't wait to try it out,

I am totally going to go pick up some of these to try out. Great reviews and cool to see they are a currently available ball!

And the moment you all have been waiting for. When we started this, it was our goal to see how marketing played a role in the golf ball one plays and how distance and spin could be perceived differently by different people. We contacted Bridgestone to see about a chance to do a completely blind ball testing with a certain ball. They loved the idea and got some blank balls sent to us. I have to say in all of our forum testing we have done, this has been the most enjoyable. If you go back and read this entire thread, it is filled with fantastic information.

The golf ball you have been using is the Bridgestone B330-RX from their 2011 line.

Well, I was halfway right. When I was gathering balls together for my comparison testing I came across a Bridgestone xFixx that appears to have the exact dimple pattern of the test ball. The 2 xFixx's came from my ball fitting. My son was with me and the rep gave him a 2 pack of the xFixx (E6 was recommended to me). I never hit the xFixx or hit/owned a B330. I thought the ball was the xFixx. I believe someone cut open one of these balls? When I was doing my testing I tried to avoid details like that so I could be objective when I did my test. Well, one piece of good news...yellow!

What an awesome test and I am happy to be part of it. Time to start looking around for some deals on these.

Nice pic buddy, did you get to see a birdie dance?

Yes, I did. She bump-n-run'd one about 15yds that lipped out to the back edge, sat there for a full second, and fell in. Nice little wind assist. It was a tough day in Vidalia; windy as all get out.

can't wait to see what your results are Tim

So even though I got a great deal on Pentas yesterday, I ran out tonight and grabbed a couple dozen B330-RX, one box white and one yellow!

I will be putting them into play as my new ball at 7am tomorrow!!

I haven't played a yellow ball in years, can't wait to try it out,

It's pretty comical really. I've played the B330-RX balls off and on ever since they came out, in fact I'd say I've played them more than any other ball. Yet, in doing this testing I thought the test ball was longer, straighter and had less greenside spin than any of the balls I standardly play. I also thought Ball X had a much different "Deep" feel off the driver, hahaha. It wasn't until someone posted the dimple pattern colored in that I realized these were a Bridgestone and appeared to be similar to the RX balls in look and performance. Even at that point I kept telling myself this could be a NEW ball.

I guess that say's something about the power of marketing and perception. I think everyone was fooled to some degree, many testers talked about crazy amounts of spin they were getting on the green when the RX isn't even a spin monster like the RXS, or is it? Makes me wonder if these should be put on a monitor next to a spinny ball to see what the numbers show.

It's pretty comical really. I've played the B330-RX balls off and on ever since they came out, in fact I'd say I've played them more than any other ball. Yet, in doing this testing I thought the test ball was longer, straighter and had less greenside spin than any of the balls I standardly play. I also thought Ball X had a much different "Deep" feel off the driver, hahaha. It wasn't until someone posted the dimple pattern colored in that I realized these were a Bridgestone and appeared to be similar to the RX balls in look and performance. Even at that point I kept telling myself this could be a NEW ball.

I guess that say's something about the power of marketing and perception. I think everyone was fooled to some degree, many testers talked about crazy amounts of spin they were getting on the green when the RX isn't even a spin monster like the RXS, or is it? Makes me wonder if these should be put on a monitor next to a spinny ball to see what the numbers show.

I have to say pretty much the same thing except I felt this ball was shorter than normal. Swing change:golf3:

Edit: Didn't catch that last sentence. I find the RX to have plenty of spin on the greens Duey

This is exactly why we loved this test. I think people talk about spin and what does have spin and what doesn't and truth be told technique will be the #1 reason for spin, followed by urethane cover, then you can throw layers in there, etc... Its kind of like wedge spin. So many talk about how X wedge spins more than Y, yet almost every test shows they are identical in terms of spin. Most amateur golfers crave spin because its what we see the guys at the highest level doing with some shots. Yet in reality, it is something that most amateurs cannot create and many times should not want.

High spin balls are the death of me. My driver goes crazy and yet I don't get the benefits on the greens. :cake:

This is exactly why we loved this test. I think people talk about spin and what does have spin and what doesn't and truth be told technique will be the #1 reason for spin, followed by urethane cover, then you can throw layers in there, etc... Its kind of like wedge spin. So many talk about how X wedge spins more than Y, yet almost every test shows they are identical in terms of spin. Most amateur golfers crave spin because its what we see the guys at the highest level doing with some shots. Yet in reality, it is something that most amateurs cannot create and many times should not want.

All good points and during this testing I realized how little I knew about spin. I think the type of grass a person plays has a lot to do with it as well and the greens they are playing to. I concidered myself as being one who puts too much spin on the ball, yet I had trouble getting them to stop at times, but realized it was more the greens and my technique than the ball.

High spin balls are the death of me. My driver goes crazy and yet I don't get the benefits on the greens. :cake:

It seems like the Penta and RXS balls stay pretty straight for me off the driver yet have solid stopping power on the greens, but your right in many other balls. Some days its just my OTT swing, lol.

It seems like the Penta and RXS balls stay pretty straight for me off the driver yet have solid stopping power on the greens, but your right in many other balls. Some days its just my OTT swing, lol.

Couldn't stand the Penta off the tee. Too much spin. Never tried the RXS because the RX was perfect. I need to work on my swing and get the draw back:disapointed:

Couldn't stand the Penta off the tee.

I liked the Penta quite a bit, but off the tee, I struggled to compress it fully and got too much spin as well.

Couldn't stand the Penta off the tee. Too much spin. Never tried the RXS because the RX was perfect. I need to work on my swing and get the draw back:disapointed:

Thats became a huge problem for me ever since switching to the Williams driver. It does everything I could ask for except draw the ball, lol. Its longer off the tee consistantly but ask it to turn left for a dogleg and it refuses. The RXS is what I play right now and just fits me very well.

I liked the Penta quite a bit, but off the tee, I struggled to compress it fully and got too much spin as well.

I quit playing the Penta when our greens got too soft. I know I couldnt be compressing them, but they still had similar distance to other balls I played. They are high flyers for sure.

From 120 and in, I really liked the Penta. It was the lost balls from 500-120 that hurt:D

Okay, I got my buddy Danny.P get me a dozen of the B330 RX! Boy I'm glad he gets a discount for working at Golf Galaxy. And am thankful that he shares it with me on a few things. Maybe it's time for a new putter....

Okay, I got my buddy Danny.P get me a dozen of the B330 RX! Boy I'm glad he gets a discount for working at Golf Galaxy. And am thankful that he shares it with me on a few things. Maybe it's time for a new putter....

Tell him to send send some down this way...lol

...just tap it in...

I had a lot of fun following this thread, and I am already a fan of the B330RX, if only they weren't $40 a dozen. I know the 330RX is a better ball for than a PrOv1x, but I can get good quality used prov's for $15.95 a dozen at several stores locally, even a bucket of 50 for $50. If I could find a deal like that on 330's I'd use them exclusively.

More I think about it the more I am surprised. My perception of tour balls is they spin a ton and I have to swing out of my shoes to get good distance from them. I played yesterday morning with the E6 (left my 2 remaining test balls at home) and I missed the B330 RX a lot. Shorter off the irons, lots of roll, and not a ton of confidence shooting at greens. I need to get to the store and grab a dozen RX's. So much better for my game. I was killing my drives with the E6, but it's not enough any more.

I played a B330S this morning and loved it, it had many of the short game characteristics I loved with the RX but the S was really soft off the driver. I like it alot so far, this ball could be a game changer..

can't wait to see what your results are Tim

Just got back from the course and I played the B330-RX in yellow for the full round, in fact I played 1 ball for the whole round...didn't lose a single ball....which is really good for me.

I have to say, I really liked the yellow...made balls in the rough easy to spot! I don't know if it was the confidence of knowing I had been playing this ball well or what, but I had a great ball striking day!

Hit 10 of 13 fairways and had good control on the greens...shot 42+40=82

This is definitely my new ball! I want to say thanks again to THP & Bridgestone for allowing me to beva part of this test, because without it I don't think I would have tried this ball again and would have really been missing out!

Good stuff TBT, glad you have the right ball for your game now, it can only help your confidence and thus your scores. Nice going buddy.

I really wish my non-existent budget would allow me to game the RX. It's the ball I would play full time. As it is I have to sacrifice some performance (perceived?) and I game the E5. I don't see a ton of difference between the two from tee to 135. However I know for sure I play more aggressively with the RX going after pins. That said, I get even more aggressive with the Z-Star.

Back