Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

I have good news and I have bad news.....

Good news first:
Love this Bocceiri Heavy 3w.
Hit 2 buckets on the range yesterday and have fallen head over heels.
More in depth review to come.

Bad news:
Found a crack in the face of my Nickent 4dX Evolver driver.
Not sure how bad it is but I can see it and can feel it when I run my finger across the face of the club.
It's just above the sweet spot too.
Might be using the Bocceiri as my driver this weekend....

You might not buy another driver after hitting the 3 wood from the tee all weekend lol, for me a 3 wood off the tee is almost a guaranteed fairway unless im swinging horrible of course. I have a 7:00 am tee time for my round in the morning, cant wait to get back out there

OK. Finally got some time to put together my initial review of this club.

About me: I am 6'1", 195 lbs., long arms, right handed, big hands, wear XL glove, 43 years old, been playing for about 5 years seriously, before that was the occasional round for laughs. I've played in an indoor volleyball league for years, am in pretty good shape.

Current 3 wood: Cleveland Launcher '09, 17 degree (more of a 4 wood), reg. flex shaft with mid-size grip. Bought used from dirt_guy here on THP.
Shot shape: fairly straight when I swing smooth, slice when I try to swing hard for extra distance both off the deck and tee. Normally a mid to high trajectory. Have lost some confidence in this club due to mishits from fairwary - slices and push rights mainly.

Initial impression at range:
The Boccieri Heavy 3w definitely has a unique feel to it compared to the Cleveland. In my practice swings it feels more balanced and fluid.
Grip is smaller than the midsize on my Launcher but not by much so that's OK. Length of club appears to be about the same as well.
Head size and face are smaller as well but not enough to cause any discomfort.
Green arrow alignment aid is a definite plus. Like the look at address. Face does not appear to be too open or closed at address.

The Good Stuff:
I hit an entire large bucket with this club and then went and got another one. I was enjoying it that much.
It was also about 95 degrees with a heat index of over 100 and I was drenched after the 1st bucket but I didn't care one bit. I can't remember the last time I hit more than 1 lg. bucket in a session.
Hit a few off the deck with my Launcher first. Hit my normal high fades, push rights with it. This might be due to having a reg. flex shaft in it or possibly a weight shift issue.
I have been working hard on getting my weight through the shot and finishing on the outside of my left foot. When I hang back on the right, the ball definitely has a tendency to slice for me.
The first 2 I hit off the deck with the Boccieri I hit fat. Uh oh I thought, this might be trouble.
I think I was just amped up about the club and swinging way too hard at it. Backed off to a 3/4 swing for a few and the ball just jumped off the club. That's more like it!
For the rest of the bucket I took turns hitting off the deck and off a tee. Ball flight was a bit lower than my usual but I attributed that to this being a 15 degree club compared to my 17 degree Launcher. I actually like the lower trajectory better because I was getting much more roll out than the Launcher.
I would have to say 80% of the balls I hit went straight. That's right, 80 out of 100. I was amazed. I have worked very hard to turn my fade into a draw and have had success with it. My normal ball flight now is about a 10 yd. draw when I swing properly and I could do this as well with the Boccieri. I did have a few fades and push rights but that was due to bad weight shift.
I also realized I was gripping the club way too tight. Loosened up the grip and was banging them straight as an arrow. Landing between the 200 and 250 signs and some rolled past the 250 yd. marker. Loving it!
I tried to "kill it" a few times, on purpose, and that is when I would have trouble. Mostly hooks. Didn't take long to realize that a nice smooth takeaway, transitioning into a fluid, smooth downswing, was the way to go with this club. I hit it farther the easier I would swing it it seemed.
It does have a distinctive "tink" sound to it when struck well. I like the way it sounds but it is different than most.
I felt as though this club made me take a better swing. Felt more "on plane" and fluid. I know that is Boccieri's claim on their website that the Heavy clubs promote a better swingpath but I marked that up to marketing hype. Now I am a believer.
Off the tee it was more of the same. Nice fluid swing belts it out there straight to 230-240 with a good roll out. Swing too hard, hook/slice city.
Noticed that I was hitting the majority right off the center of the clubface. Nice!

The Bad Stuff:
Not much to be honest. Even when I didn't get a good swing on it, the ball wouldn't slice/hook/fade/draw as much as it did with my Launcher.
When I did hit fat the ball still went straight so that's a plus.
My hands hurt when I got done with the 2nd bucket. Could have been due to gripping too hard or even fatigue since I never hit that many usually at the range.

Overall Impression:
Love it. Will be my new 3 wood.
In fact, I went back to my Launcher during the testing and topped 3 in a row. Put it down and never picked it back up. Didn't feel nearly as good any more. Just didn't feel like I could put the same swing into it as I did the Boccieri.
Felt very comfortable in my hands, at address, during swing, and at contact. What more could you ask?
Found a crack in the face of my driver so I will be using the Heavy 3w as my driver for a round this weekend. Will post again with results from then.

Thanks once again to THP and Bocciere for this opportunity. I never would have tried this club out if it weren't for this testing and I feel I really would have missed out on a club that feels excellent to me!

That sounds like a pretty solid first date!

Tdinbr: outstanding initial writeup!!

Tappin' from my iPad!

About me: I am 6'1", 195 lbs., long arms, right handed, big hands, wear XL glove, 43 years old, been playing for about 5 years seriously, before that was the occasional round for laughs. I've played in an indoor volleyball league for years, am in pretty good shape.

Current 3 wood: Cleveland Launcher '09, 17 degree (more of a 4 wood), reg. flex shaft with mid-size grip. Bought used from dirt_guy here on THP.
Shot shape: fairly straight when I swing smooth, slice when I try to swing hard for extra distance both off the deck and tee. Normally a mid to high trajectory. Have lost some confidence in this club due to mishits from fairwary - slices and push rights mainly.

The Boccieri Heavy 3w definitely has a unique feel to it compared to the Cleveland. In my practice swings it feels more balanced and fluid.
Grip is smaller than the midsize on my Launcher but not by much so that's OK. Length of club appears to be about the same as well.
Green arrow alignment aid is a definite plus. Like the look at address. Face does not appear to be too open or closed at address.

The Good Stuff:
I hit an entire large bucket with this club and then went and got another one. I was enjoying it that much.
It was also about 95 degrees with a heat index of over 100 and I was drenched after the 1st bucket but I didn't care one bit. I can't remember the last time I hit more than 1 lg. bucket in a session.
Hit a few off the deck with my Launcher first. Hit my normal high fades, push rights with it. This might be due to having a reg. flex shaft in it or possibly a weight shift issue.
I have been working hard on getting my weight through the shot and finishing on the outside of my left foot. When I hang back on the right, the ball definitely has a tendency to slice for me.
The first 2 I hit off the deck with the Boccieri I hit fat. Uh oh I thought, this might be trouble.
I think I was just amped up about the club and swinging way too hard at it. Backed off to a 3/4 swing for a few and the ball just jumped off the club. That's more like it!
For the rest of the bucket I took turns hitting off the deck and off a tee. Ball flight was a bit lower than my usual but I attributed that to this being a 15 degree club compared to my 17 degree Launcher. I actually like the lower trajectory better because I was getting much more roll out than the Launcher.
I would have to say 80% of the balls I hit went straight. That's right, 80 out of 100. I was amazed. I have worked very hard to turn my fade into a draw and have had success with it. My normal ball flight now is about a 10 yd. draw when I swing properly and I could do this as well with the Boccieri. I did have a few fades and push rights but that was due to bad weight shift.
I also realized I was gripping the club way too tight. Loosened up the grip and was banging them straight as an arrow. Landing between the 200 and 250 signs and some rolled past the 250 yd. marker. Loving it!
I tried to "kill it" a few times, on purpose, and that is when I would have trouble. Mostly hooks. Didn't take long to realize that a nice smooth takeaway, transitioning into a fluid, smooth downswing, was the way to go with this club. I hit it farther the easier I would swing it it seemed.
It does have a distinctive "tink" sound to it when struck well. I like the way it sounds but it is different than most.
I felt as though this club made me take a better swing. Felt more "on plane" and fluid. I know that is Boccieri's claim on their website that the Heavy clubs promote a better swingpath but I marked that up to marketing hype. Now I am a believer.
Off the tee it was more of the same. Nice fluid swing belts it out there straight to 230-240 with a good roll out. Swing too hard, hook/slice city.
Noticed that I was hitting the majority right off the center of the clubface. Nice!

The Bad Stuff:
Not much to be honest. Even when I didn't get a good swing on it, the ball wouldn't slice/hook/fade/draw as much as it did with my Launcher.
My hands hurt when I got done with the 2nd bucket. Could have been due to gripping too hard or even fatigue since I never hit that many usually at the range.

Overall Impression:
In fact, I went back to my Launcher during the testing and topped 3 in a row. Put it down and never picked it back up. Didn't feel nearly as good any more. Just didn't feel like I could put the same swing into it as I did the Boccieri.
Felt very comfortable in my hands, at address, during swing, and at contact. What more could you ask?
Found a crack in the face of my driver so I will be using the Heavy 3w as my driver for a round this weekend. Will post again with results from then.

Thanks once again to THP and Bocciere for this opportunity. I never would have tried this club out if it weren't for this testing and I feel I really would have missed out on a club that feels excellent to me!

Nice write up my friend! I had the same experience when switching back and forth to my current 3W, just didnt feel the same in hand, couldnt get a good swing on it. Decided to go Driver, Heavy Wood on a couple shots to make sure I could be consistent when hitting them back to back.

Great initial writeup TDINBR, glad its working for you as good as it is for me.

good info so far. how are they from different types of rough and lies on the course?

good info so far. how are they from different types of rough and lies on the course?

great so far, for me with it having the smaller and shallower head it really cuts through the rough

Hey everybody I was able to get 9 in before the tourney started today and had a very rough start (3 holes) then switched to my normal ball and played great, anyhow I ended up with a 38. I only got the chance to hit the Heavy Wood twice today and both were off the tee, both shots were good and didn't disappoint. The first shot was on a short par 4 dog leg left and I pulled the Heavy Wood out for my tee shot and put it right past the dogleg and that left me a SW into the green, I hit that to about 20 foot and 2 putted for par. The second shot of the day was on a 200 yard par 3 with a slight breeze in my face, I ended up hitting a high baby DRAW, that is only the second draw I have hit with the Heavy Wood, its either straight or slight fade. I was very happy with the result of this tee shot, it left me 10 feet from the hole and I made the birdie putt!

I am still enjoying the sound/feel of this club, its a solid tink is the only way to describe it. I am getting a great ball flight from the Aldila NVS as well, it's high but still piercing through the wind, that shaft is still a pleasent surprise everytime I hit the Heavy Wood. I know this isnt very long but those were the only two shots that called for the Heavy Wood today, I was kinda sad I didnt need to hit it more.

The Good Stuff:

The Bad Stuff:

Overall Impression:

Great post

Well things have finally calmed down here so I was able to get out on the range and hit my Boccieri 5 Wood.

LOOKS
I really like the looks of this club. The black and green from top to bottom works well for my eye. the graphics on the top of the shaft didn't bother me once I got used to it. I like the simple look of the sole of the club and I didn't see any appreciable marking on the sole after hitting about 40 shots with it today. I also happen to like the head cover with the zipper. I think the green and black looks bold without being over the top.
LENGTH, LOFT, LIE, WEIGHT, AND SIZE
I pulled my old fairway wood out of the garage for some comparisions. The shaft length is shorter by about 1/2 inch it appears. While I know the loft on both says they are 19 degrees, it really looks like the Boccieri has more loft to it than my old 5 wood. I don't know if it is just my eye or what but it seems to really stand out to me. When set on the ground side by side it seems to become more apparent.The club feels distinctly heavier, but then again it is supposed to huh. The weight does feel to be nicely distributed and very well balanced. The size of the head also appears to be smaller than my old fairway wood. I am not knocking any of this, I am just trying to describe how it looks to me.
PERFORMANCE
Like I said earlier I hit about 40 balls with this club and I am looking forward to going out and hitting it even more. I started my session with it by just hitting some half swing shots to get used to the weight, and for some reason they were all off the toe. I will say that those shots that were not way out on the toe still had some good distance. The rest were straight to the right as would be wexpected for extreme toe shots.
Once I started taking full swings I was still hitting them all off the toe. Nothing too extreme but still out further on the toe than I felt they should have been. Once again i was seeing decent sistance with a nice low to mid ball flight. Adjustment time, so I stood a bit closer to the ball and swung a bit easier. This made quite the difference and I actually started to make good contact with the ball. I was still hitting a few out on the toe but nothing like before. Once i felt like I was making good contact with the ball I was still seeing a low to mid ball flight, that I really like. I have to deal with quite a bit of wind out here so I like this type of ball flight.
All the markers were off the range as they had just mowed it so I would have to estimate that my distance was 215 to 225 yards with this club. I am playing mens league tomorrow so there are several tee shots I know I will be taking with this club, so I will have some GPS distances for you all then.
SOUND
I really like the sound of this club! To my ear it is just a nice muted tink that lets you know it was hit well.
FINAL INITIAL THOUGHTS
I am liking the overall looks and feel of this club. It has a spot in my bag, but it might be rather unconventional. I will talk more abut that after tomorrow. I hit all my shots today off a tee so I can't comment on how it performs off the deck or out of the rough, I plan on working on the range tomorrow and hitting balls off the deck with it and will report more back then. One lat comment on this club. I know I hit more than one off the extreme tip of the toe and a couple of sky balls and there is not one mark on this club! I don't know what is different about the paint but it seems to withstand my errant swings very well. I am looking forward to tomorrow and writing some more on this 5 wood.

Great stuff Tdinbr! Glad to get your thoughts on this club.

I find that it works great from the rough with the smaller head, it cuts through very well.

Well things have finally calmed down here so I was able to get out on the range and hit my Boccieri 5 Wood.

LOOKS
I really like the looks of this club. The black and green from top to bottom works well for my eye. the graphics on the top of the shaft didn't bother me once I got used to it. I like the simple look of the sole of the club and I didn't see any appreciable marking on the sole after hitting about 40 shots with it today. I also happen to like the head cover with the zipper. I think the green and black looks bold without being over the top.
I pulled my old fairway wood out of the garage for some comparisions. The shaft length is shorter by about 1/2 inch it appears. While I know the loft on both says they are 19 degrees, it really looks like the Boccieri has more loft to it than my old 5 wood. I don't know if it is just my eye or what but it seems to really stand out to me. When set on the ground side by side it seems to become more apparent.The club feels distinctly heavier, but then again it is supposed to huh. The weight does feel to be nicely distributed and very well balanced. The size of the head also appears to be smaller than my old fairway wood. I am not knocking any of this, I am just trying to describe how it looks to me.
PERFORMANCE
Like I said earlier I hit about 40 balls with this club and I am looking forward to going out and hitting it even more. I started my session with it by just hitting some half swing shots to get used to the weight, and for some reason they were all off the toe. I will say that those shots that were not way out on the toe still had some good distance. The rest were straight to the right as would be wexpected for extreme toe shots.
Once I started taking full swings I was still hitting them all off the toe. Nothing too extreme but still out further on the toe than I felt they should have been. Once again i was seeing decent sistance with a nice low to mid ball flight. Adjustment time, so I stood a bit closer to the ball and swung a bit easier. This made quite the difference and I actually started to make good contact with the ball. I was still hitting a few out on the toe but nothing like before. Once i felt like I was making good contact with the ball I was still seeing a low to mid ball flight, that I really like. I have to deal with quite a bit of wind out here so I like this type of ball flight.
All the markers were off the range as they had just mowed it so I would have to estimate that my distance was 215 to 225 yards with this club. I am playing mens league tomorrow so there are several tee shots I know I will be taking with this club, so I will have some GPS distances for you all then.
SOUND
I really like the sound of this club! To my ear it is just a nice muted tink that lets you know it was hit well.
FINAL INITIAL THOUGHTS
I am liking the overall looks and feel of this club. It has a spot in my bag, but it might be rather unconventional. I will talk more abut that after tomorrow. I hit all my shots today off a tee so I can't comment on how it performs off the deck or out of the rough, I plan on working on the range tomorrow and hitting balls off the deck with it and will report more back then. One lat comment on this club. I know I hit more than one off the extreme tip of the toe and a couple of sky balls and there is not one mark on this club! I don't know what is different about the paint but it seems to withstand my errant swings very well. I am looking forward to tomorrow and writing some more on this 5 wood.

Another great post. Man you guys are killing it in here. Might have to peruse the website. Again.:wilt:

LOOKS
PERFORMANCE
SOUND
FINAL INITIAL THOUGHTS

Good post RW, this club is money off the deck and tee, hopefully it works well for you tomorrow off the deck

LOOKS
PERFORMANCE
SOUND
FINAL INITIAL THOUGHTS

Good stuff RW! My first shots with the heavy 3w were off the toe as well, maybe it's just the shorter shaft?

Good stuff RW! My first shots with the heavy 3w were off the toe as well, maybe it's just the shorter shaft?

At first it was a bit discouraging but once i worked through it I was really happy.

My first full swing with the Heavy Wood; I topped the ball worse than I ever had. don't know if I have an excuse for it or not, but adjusted then started hitting it very well.

My first full swing with the Heavy Wood; I topped the ball worse than I ever had. don't know if I have an excuse for it or not, but adjusted then started hitting it very well.

Sounds like we are all just amped out with our first test swings. Glad I was not the only one!!

I was going to try and get a round in today with the heavy 3w, but I should have known better than to wait till Saturday. On the weekends around here, the tees, fairways, and greens often look more like people are having family reunions, rather than playing golf. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to enjoy the game, however they choose to play it, but I'd rather just go hit some balls on the range than to try and play alone when others are in groups of eight or more. Anyway, that being said, I did have a great range session.

Hitting a straight shot with the Boccieri 3w still eludes me, however, I did manage to hit a few nice draws and one big hook. I really had to exaggerate rolling my right hand over my left to do it though, and I'm not going to keep doing that because I know where that will end up. I will just play for a fade on the course with this club, it is a consistent fade, so why fight it right? I still don't know why it wants to fade so much though, maybe the extra weight in the grip slows down hand action? If so, this club might be the perfect choice for someone fighting a hook. Maybe I'm just getting a little over the top with it? I don't know for sure. One other thing I have noted with the Boccieri 3w is that, if I hit shot after shot with it, no break in between, the fade starts to grow into a slice. Fatigue maybe?

I did get a little video footage of some shots with the heavy 3w. I wonder who on here can tell just from watching the video which one had the best result.

3rd or 4th to last sounded like you killed it. You also took a nice long extra look at it. Love the sound of this beast!! Great video 3B

3rd or 4th to last sounded like you killed it. You also took a nice long extra look at it. Love the sound of this beast!! Great video 3B

haha I do tend to do that at times, sometimes it works, sometimes I'm better off just walking up and hitting it quick. It does have a nice sound though, doesn't it.

It does. The sound alone has me in ponder mode:drool:

it sounds even better in person. Im playing in the morning and im gonna try and get some more videos either on course or on the range. This thing needs to be heard

Chunky, the sounds when you hit this club well is amazing. It's like a reward for striking the ball well.

Back