Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

Great update and vids 10yd!

Nice vid 10yard. That sound was nice. Sounded nice and meaty:snowman:

Sorry for the late update, I meant to post this last night, but I got a little more range time this afternoon, so, here are my thoughts, so far, based on two shortish range sessions.

As a quick background, after a few years of not playing, I'm jumping back in, and spending time at the range whenever I can. My driver and fw swing has completely left me, not that I ever had much of one in the first place. On the positive side, upon return, my 7i moved from a solid 150y club to a 160y club on full (not 100%) swings. 100% swings are always a big giant hook. Giant. And Ugly.

I would like to echo what most everyone else has said about the look of this club: It is a stunner. The Boccieri Golf Heavy Wood is a great looking club that inspires confidence at address.

I was gaming a Callaway X-series 3w at 15 degrees with the stock Fujikara 65g stiff flex. It is also about an inch longer. What I love about my Callaway is the silver chevron I can align with at address ... not that I ever sniffed anything close to consistency or real confidence with it. I suppose I have a serious love-hate relationship with my Callaway. Like a really hot, but psycho girlfriend. But I digress ... The BGHW is also a 3 wood, 15 degrees with a 75g Adila NVS stiff shaft. The little green triangle matches or exceeds how I feel about the chevron for aiming. While I don't care that the shaft graphics are turned up towards me, it doesn't bother me one bit. I am unable to notice any overall weight difference.

At the range, what surprised me was how natural (golf natural, not actually natural) the BGHW felt in my hands and during practice swings. There is a clumsiness to how I wield the Callaway, I never felt that with the BGHW. Almost like the sword made me a better swordsman. I'll make the first reference to the Green Destiny sword in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon here. I still had all my swing faults, but the BGHW muted them and when I did swing well ... woowee! The BGHW made me more confident and bolder than I had a right to be, especially yesterday when I know my swing was off.

On both days, after a brief warm up with my irons, I spent most of my time with the BGHW. Starting out, I was big-drawing or hooking the ball, I did slice once but that was due more to a half-aborted swing. For whatever reason, I was hooding the club through impact. I couldn't figure out why until I felt the tension in my forearms. I have big hands and my tendency with regular-size grips is to swing the club like a chicken I'm trying to asphyxiate! Needless to say I relaxed, let the poultry breathe and started crushing balls down the range with a slight fade or a straight line stripe. I don't want to over or understate this, I get it. I get why people rave about the BGHD and the feedback so far about the BGHW. And then to support my feelings, today, a couple of the range rats I know walked over and whistled at some of my ball flight - penetrating through the 8-10mph wind coming west from the beach. A few I absolutely PURED. And for those of you wo are interested, I like teeing my fw just above the turf.

Each time I got comfortable with the BGHW, I switched off to my Callaway, and each time I marveled at how little I liked swinging it. I might have had two extra elbows because I was finding all kinds of ways to fail with my Callaway. Topping, fat, thin, hook, slice ... uglier than sin done wrong. Then to top it all off, the head felt like it was on the end of a spaghetti string and I never knew exactly where it was. When I did make a great swing with the Callaway, the flight was nice, but not nearly as penetrating or long as the BGHW. Switching back to the BGHW, it took a few swings to find my zone, but I did find that smooth swing, nice pause at the top, then fire through - Yummy! I know I have work to do to really find it, but I feel like the BGHW can get me there, I don't think I ever felt that confident about improving with my Callaway.

This might be the biggest compliment I can give to the BGHW - it makes me believe I can actually improve and learn how to groove a good swing. I have no doubt I can do it. I never really felt that with out false bravado with my Callaway. And that is pretty damn close to drinking the Boccieri Kool-Aid, isn't it?

One last observation, I love the colors of the BGHW head cover, however I'd prefer to have no zipper, maybe a magnet enclosure.

So, more soon as I'll be spending some good range time with this bad boy figuring it and me out! I'll try hitting some off the deck next time as well.

Anyways, here's a quick photo of my Callaway compared to the BGHW:
2011-08-25%25252014.18.41.jpg

Good stuff D! Glad the heavy 3w is boosting your confidence level. I'm going out in few to hit mine again at the range.

Great update D, Call me crazy but im really digging that zipper headcover, its so fast and easy to get on and off. Sometimes with my other headcovers the head will get stuck sideways or in a weird spot and its hard to pull it the rest of the way on but with the Heavy Wood headcover it slides right in and zips right up. Confidence is a HUGE factor in golf IMO, it goes a very long way with me as well, if im not confident in a club i can guarantee i wont hit it good. Glad its working out for you so far, hit em straight

Spent some time this evening back out on the range with the Heavy 3 Wood, was hoping to get a round of 9 in tonight, but again, late afternoon showers kept me from getting out.

Warmed up with my irons as usual, then hit driver a few times, then switched over to the Heavy Wood. Again, I love the feel in hand, and the swing is as smooth as can be. The weighting of the club just feels great, cant say that enough. I started out with the ball tee'd up tonight, rather than off the deck like I did last night, and again the first few balls I hit I went with an easy 3/4 swing to get the feel going. Even with a 3/4 swing off the tee I am getting good distance, right around 200 (unfortunately, no roll out as the range is so soaked, the balls just plug). Started hitting full on shots, with a nice solid swing. Results were just as I saw last night, good distance, carrying past the 200 marker (middle of 200-250 marker), and the ball flight isnt anywhere near being ballooning, but has a nice trajectory that I believe, when it dries out, will have some nice roll out. The club feels great at impact, and I really love the sound you get when you hit one solid. I need to set up a camera to capture that sound, it's perfect.

Decided to "simulate" a hole and go Driver, then 3 wood to see how I adjusted with the swing, rather than just hitting the Heavy Wood over and over. Nice swings with the driver, followed up by some shots with the 3W. I did this for a while, and was hitting some nice shots. Hitting the Heavy Wood off the deck, what I have found is that you can really lay into the ball with this club, a good strong swing, and the results are great. Usually with my current 3W, if I try to swing to hard, the results are unpredictable, leaving me with only being able to swing a bit easier. With the Heavy Wood, i feel that the balance of the club allows me to really get on the swing and swing hard, with out sacrificing form/distance/results, resulting in a very nice shot. When swinging harder, I was seeing a nice fade on the ball, with a very pleasing trajectory. I am not usually one to fade a ball too often with a fairway wood, but this ball flight looked great. Hitting the ball off the deck, good distance, nice fade on the ball...no complaints about that.

Hitting the Boccieri Heavy Wood over my current Superfast, I feel that I have much more control of my swing. I can put a nice, half swing or 3/4 on it, and get a great shot to 175(ish) yards, or really get into it and carry it out to 225 yards. Again, this all out on the range, as I have been rained off my course for two consecutive afternoons. Fortunately for me, I have a round Saturday and a round Sunday, and it looks like I will be able to be on the course, rather than being rained out.

Looking forward to getting this in play during a round, to see how the results I have seen on the range, translate to being on the course. Based on the trajectory I am seeing when I hit the Heavy Wood, I expect to see some nice rollout to give me some very nice distance, let's just hope it dries out some.

war.eagle,

You said it was good off the deck? Have you ever struggled with a 3w off the deck? That tends to be my biggest use of a 3w and I have struggle with that in the past. One other thing, can you test hitting it out of the rough this weekend? Thanks

Spent some time this evening back out on the range with the Heavy 3 Wood, was hoping to get a round of 9 in tonight, but again, late afternoon showers kept me from getting out.

Warmed up with my irons as usual, then hit driver a few times, then switched over to the Heavy Wood. Again, I love the feel in hand, and the swing is as smooth as can be. The weighting of the club just feels great, cant say that enough. I started out with the ball tee'd up tonight, rather than off the deck like I did last night, and again the first few balls I hit I went with an easy 3/4 swing to get the feel going. Even with a 3/4 swing off the tee I am getting good distance, right around 200 (unfortunately, no roll out as the range is so soaked, the balls just plug). Started hitting full on shots, with a nice solid swing. Results were just as I saw last night, good distance, carrying past the 200 marker (middle of 200-250 marker), and the ball flight isnt anywhere near being ballooning, but has a nice trajectory that I believe, when it dries out, will have some nice roll out. The club feels great at impact, and I really love the sound you get when you hit one solid. I need to set up a camera to capture that sound, it's perfect.

Decided to "simulate" a hole and go Driver, then 3 wood to see how I adjusted with the swing, rather than just hitting the Heavy Wood over and over. Nice swings with the driver, followed up by some shots with the 3W. I did this for a while, and was hitting some nice shots. Hitting the Heavy Wood off the deck, what I have found is that you can really lay into the ball with this club, a good strong swing, and the results are great. Usually with my current 3W, if I try to swing to hard, the results are unpredictable, leaving me with only being able to swing a bit easier. With the Heavy Wood, i feel that the balance of the club allows me to really get on the swing and swing hard, with out sacrificing form/distance/results, resulting in a very nice shot. When swinging harder, I was seeing a nice fade on the ball, with a very pleasing trajectory. I am not usually one to fade a ball too often with a fairway wood, but this ball flight looked great. Hitting the ball off the deck, good distance, nice fade on the ball...no complaints about that.

Hitting the Boccieri Heavy Wood over my current Superfast, I feel that I have much more control of my swing. I can put a nice, half swing or 3/4 on it, and get a great shot to 175(ish) yards, or really get into it and carry it out to 225 yards. Again, this all out on the range, as I have been rained off my course for two consecutive afternoons. Fortunately for me, I have a round Saturday and a round Sunday, and it looks like I will be able to be on the course, rather than being rained out.

Looking forward to getting this in play during a round, to see how the results I have seen on the range, translate to being on the course. Based on the trajectory I am seeing when I hit the Heavy Wood, I expect to see some nice rollout to give me some very nice distance, let's just hope it dries out some.

Good job WE, hopefully it carries over to the course for ya, I am seeing almost the exact same distance from the fairway as i am off the tee, i tee it like a iron shot though so maybe thats why.

war.eagle,

You said it was good off the deck? Have you ever struggled with a 3w off the deck? That tends to be my biggest use of a 3w and I have struggle with that in the past. One other thing, can you test hitting it out of the rough this weekend? Thanks

I know im not War.Eagle but i have hit it out of the rough a few times and it has done great, the only time i had trouble was when i had a bad swing one day.

I know im not War.Eagle but i have hit it out of the rough a few times and it has done great, the only time i had trouble was when i had a bad swing one day.

Did it cut through ok or tend to get stuck?

Did it cut through ok or tend to get stuck?

It cut through just fine, i had a problem hitting it fat that one round but thats all but gone now since i changed the ball position to more forward in my stance, i am just grazing the grass now instead of digging in the ground. To be honest it reminds me of my Rescue11 going through the rough

It cut through just fine, i had a problem hitting it fat that one round but thats all but gone now since i changed the ball position to more forward in my stance, i am just grazing the grass now instead of digging in the ground. To be honest it reminds me of my Rescue11 going through the rough

That is nice. I remember hitting these 3w at the outing and seem to like them. That was on the range though. Thanks

war.eagle,

I've said it a few times, but I am not anywhere near consistent with my 3W. Usually with my 3W, i take a pretty good size divot and will "chunk" it pretty good. I currently game the TM Superfast 3W, and the shaft is longer than the Boccieri Heavy Wood, so this could be why I am hitting the Heavy Wood better. The heavy wood is much, much smaller than any 3W I have hit in recent memory, almost has the size of some of the larger hybrids out on the market now. When hitting off the fairway, and getting a good swing on it, it seems effortless and puts a nice strike on the ball.

Biggest difference I have noticed between hitting of the ground, is that I can put a nice, hard swing on it, and have great results. The Heavy Wood doesnt dig in the ground, or "chunk" like I have had other fairway woods do. To be honest, the swing and ball striking has an effortless feel to it

I will give you more feedback on this once I actually get to hit it out on the course. Hope this provided you some sort of answer though.

Well played 9 today shot a 38. Only hit the boccieri once and it was off of the tee, ended up right again, my normal miss with it when I do miss. Will get it back out to the range more extensively and try to get thingss worked out

Well played 9 today shot a 38. Only hit the boccieri once and it was off of the tee, ended up right again, my normal miss with it when I do miss. Will get it back out to the range more extensively and try to get thingss worked out

Nice playing MD

Good job WE, hopefully it carries over to the course for ya, I am seeing almost the exact same distance from the fairway as i am off the tee, i tee it like a iron shot though so maybe thats why.

I seem to get a bit more distance off the tee, not sure why exactly. I will have to get a picture of how I tee it up, so we can compare.

Great updates, testers. Awesome videos and information. I can't say enough how much I think this line up of clubs could help some people find consistency in their game.

Great updates, testers. Awesome videos and information. I can't say enough how much I think this line up of clubs could help some people find consistency in their game.

Thanks Hawk, Im in serious ponder mode right now thinking about what their irons could do for me, i would really like to find a place to hit them

+1 This club works great from the rough, maybe even better then my 3w, with the shallower face and smaller head. I haven't hit one on the course yet, but I have a feeling it's gonna be money if I need a long shot from the rough, unless it's just an impossible lie of course.

You guys have to try the hybrid. Seriously. I've played and tested a ton of hybrids in the last year and it is money. I want this fairway wood now and I absolutely love mine as it is. I just can't help it.

I've said it a few times, but I am not anywhere near consistent with my 3W. Usually with my 3W, i take a pretty good size divot and will "chunk" it pretty good. I currently game the TM Superfast 3W, and the shaft is longer than the Boccieri Heavy Wood, so this could be why I am hitting the Heavy Wood better. The heavy wood is much, much smaller than any 3W I have hit in recent memory, almost has the size of some of the larger hybrids out on the market now. When hitting off the fairway, and getting a good swing on it, it seems effortless and puts a nice strike on the ball.

Biggest difference I have noticed between hitting of the ground, is that I can put a nice, hard swing on it, and have great results. The Heavy Wood doesnt dig in the ground, or "chunk" like I have had other fairway woods do. To be honest, the swing and ball striking has an effortless feel to it

I will give you more feedback on this once I actually get to hit it out on the course. Hope this provided you some sort of answer though.

Nice updates War! Glad to see it's workin for ya! It's interesting how you can really go after it and get good results, but for me it's the opposite, I really have to swing smooth and controlled to get good results. I mean I can hit it a little harder/further when I wan't to, but I have step on the gas a little more smoothly than I have to with some other clubs. If I try to rip one, it can get ugly. Sometimes it seems like the shaft is more like an regular rather than a stiff, maybe the extra head weight makes it feel that way?

Back