Callaway Apex Irons Preview

or get similar clubs to my current & continue to play as I have been :angel:

But if the Apex Pro's had similar lofts to your current clubs, they would launch far too high and it would hinder your game.

Sure. That is always an option, but I have a feeling to find something similar to an x-14 pro you may have to go with a much more players iron than these anyway. I just don't know why people don't want to hit the ball further if they can do it with accuracy. Blows my mind

the Apex Pro or X Hot Pro?

The Apex Pros are almost identical to the X-14 Pros in terms of loft. The XHPs are about 2 degrees difference.

The Apex Pros are almost identical to the X-14 Pros in terms of loft. The XHPs are about 2 degrees difference.
that's what i deduced as well...

Interesting you guys are talking about loft as the Apex irons are a little stronger lofted then my current G20's up to about the 8 or 9 iron which is going to affect the top end of my bag. I am interested in getting these in hand to see if the 5i is going to replace my 4h which is 23°. I don't really mind having to adjust my club selection based on yardages as I think it is a nature of the beast but I have already tested some clubs to fix the top end of my bag incase this "problem" happens. I do believe you should go with what you are comfortable with and if the lofts are off and you are not comfortable with that you most likely aren't going to get comfortable with them but then again going to the range would probably fix all of that.

Even though the apex pros are probably smaller than the x14 pros, and in fact I am sure they are, I bet you find them just as easy, if not easier to hit. The forgiveness they pack into irons now is incredible

The more I think about the Apex Pros, the more I think I want the GW in my bag. Mainly use my current GW on full shots, so it would only make sense

3 or 4 - GW (51 degrees)
Mack Daddy 2 - 56
Mack Daddy 2 - 60

or

3 or 4 - PW (46 degrees)
Mack daddy 50
Mack daddy 54
Mack daddy 58

I want a GW to match my set. I am thinking for me 4-7 Apex 8-GW Apex Pros MD 56, MD 60

I love a set matching GW

What shaft are you getting in them Greg?
XP95 throughout. Matt said that was the shaft for me, even in the pros, so that's what I went with.

XP95 throughout. Matt said that was the shaft for me, even in the pros, so that's what I went with.

Cool, TNT told me on Sunday he was fitted for that same shaft. Supposedly really nice for a lighter weight steel shaft, I will look into these.

Even though the apex pros are probably smaller than the x14 pros, and in fact I am sure they are, I bet you find them just as easy, if not easier to hit. The forgiveness they pack into irons now is incredible

Jhstew@jhSTEW @HashtagChad any idea on the iron head size of an Apex pro vs. an X-14 pro iron? @MattHanelineCG

Matt Haneline@MattHanelineCG @jhSTEW @HashtagChad about the same head size but a thinner top line and more traditional shape

another plus...

Nice. I cannot wait to hit them at the #grandaddy in December. I will be sure to let you know what I think

Cool, TNT told me on Sunday he was fitted for that same shaft. Supposedly really nice for a lighter weight steel shaft, I will look into these.

Do we know if the XP95 shaft offered in the Apex iron is the true "True Temper" XP95 shaft or a "made for" by True Temper for Callaway...reason I ask is the Project X 95 shaft in my XHP is a "made for" as the actual Project X 95 shaft is a tapered shaft and the head on the XHP is parallel...and from emails back and forth with Callaway they told me it was a "made for" shaft but basically based on the actual Project X 95...but if you went to buy a Project X 95 shaft you can only get them in tapered. The XP95 shaft by True Temper is also only a tapered shaft per their website...see attached as I would think the Apex iron head is parallel???

Not that this makes any real difference...if you like the way the combo works for you then it should not matter if it is parallel or tapered...I was just wondering...

XP95.JPG

UH OH!!!

I love a set matching GW

same here, hadnt done it in my last few sets, when I found out it was an option for this, I jumped all over it.

same here, hadnt done it in my last few sets, when I found out it was an option for this, I jumped all over it.

Great choice Deano I think the set GW will work great for you and your distances.

I like the set GW's as it makes gapping a little easier and full swings are easier IMO with them.

i didn't get one as i don't carry one in my current set. kind of wish i had. i think a gw in the pro would be deadly.

i didn't get one as i don't carry one in my current set. kind of wish i had. i think a gw in the pro would be deadly.

I went GW since I have some funky gaps between PW and my 54. Not to mention I didn't want a 3 or 4i. One of the clubs I'm most excited for!

I went with GW also and it is the same degree as my current one. I am real anxious to see how it performs compared to my current one.

Great choice Deano I think the set GW will work great for you and your distances.

I like the set GW's as it makes gapping a little easier and full swings are easier IMO with them.

Yeah I haven't found a stand alone gap wedge I've loved anyhow

Last edited:
I'd love to hit these with the Recoil shafts :blob:

Only a mere 3 weeks til these irons hit stores, Im looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts that get to try these out and will be waiting here with a bunch of "I Told ya so"

One thing Im looking forward to is the long irons. I recently had some success with my 4I which was very surprising as I usually struggle. Any one at the testing have a chance to try out a long iron and have any feedback?

Im with you there, Mike. Having put a 4i back in the bag, the long irons in this set are going to be put to work. I am hoping for some immediate success out of those clubs.

Im with you there, Mike. Having put a 4i back in the bag, the long irons in this set are going to be put to work. I am hoping for some immediate success out of those clubs.

Plus Im a hot mess with hybos, so being able to go after something beyond 175-180 would be a welcome addition again

Back