Callaway HEX Black and Chrome balls

If you dont like them Hart I will send you my address. :act-up:

Bahester - That's exactly what I did last night. I'll summarize and save you a couple of hours:

The consensus appears to be that the ball is long and straight off the tee, with many people seeing the ball help minimize their fades/slices. Many people found Chrome to provide more spin on approach shots but thought the Black was still very good; some thought Black was better into the greens. Callaway seems to be saying the Chrome is for lower SS and Black for higher SS but there were very mixed results on this front among THPrs - some people that should have liked Chrome had better success with Black and vice versa. Virtually nobody thought the ball was inferior to Pv1 or RX. Many people found the ball to have really great durability, perhaps best in class amongst tour balls. Some expressed concerns that the crests of the hexagons showed cracks or signs of wear; some of these people got free replacement balls from Callaway. Most of the Callaway Morgan Cuppers - all except War Eagle? - ended up choosing the Black over the Chrome.

I played 9 with Black recently and ended with a comparison of the ball to the RX. Take a quick look, like one page back.
Verry good synopsis.

Bahester - That's exactly what I did last night. I'll summarize and save you a couple of hours:

The consensus appears to be that the ball is long and straight off the tee, with many people seeing the ball help minimize their fades/slices. Many people found Chrome to provide more spin on approach shots but thought the Black was still very good; some thought Black was better into the greens. Callaway seems to be saying the Chrome is for lower SS and Black for higher SS but there were very mixed results on this front among THPrs - some people that should have liked Chrome had better success with Black and vice versa. Virtually nobody thought the ball was inferior to Pv1 or RX. Many people found the ball to have really great durability, perhaps best in class amongst tour balls. Some expressed concerns that the crests of the hexagons showed cracks or signs of wear; some of these people got free replacement balls from Callaway. Most of the Callaway Morgan Cuppers - all except War Eagle? - ended up choosing the Black over the Chrome.

I played 9 with Black recently and ended with a comparison of the ball to the RX. Take a quick look, like one page back.

thanks so much for the summary

Per my email from Callaway:

"For only 273 hours, Callaway celebrates Ernie's winning score of 273 with offers on the Open Championship and award winning Razr Fit Driver and Hex Black Tour Ball."

Driver $273.00
Hex Black Tour Balls $27.30!!!

This is an awesome deal! Valid from 7/25/12 12:00am PST through 8/5/12 9:00am PST. I'll be picking up a few dozen!

In for 4 dozen myself. And free personalization too! From the reviews in this thread, I think I'll like this ball.

In for 4 dozen myself. And free personalization too! From the reviews in this thread, I think I'll like this ball.

Whoa whoa whoa. Where do we buy them for this price?

Whoa whoa whoa. Where do we buy them for this price?

Anywhere they are sold basically

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

Man I would buy the drive if I had the money right now. That's a great deal IMO.

Ok...I'm only on about page 35 on this thread but in case I don't finish tonight I'm headed to Golf Galaxy tomorrow and have some decisions to make.

So far I haven't seen anyone compare it to the B330 yet. I'm a big fan of the 330 and the 330 RX which are both similar. I have a SS of about 107-108 off the tee and would prefer a ball that spins less off the teebox. Seems like the Hex Black is the way to go out of the two, but does it compare pretty well to the B330?

Think I'm gonna dive in and pick up a couple boxes of the black. That price is hard to beat!!!

Ok...I'm only on about page 35 on this thread but in case I don't finish tonight I'm headed to Golf Galaxy tomorrow and have some decisions to make.

So far I haven't seen anyone compare it to the B330 yet. I'm a big fan of the 330 and the 330 RX which are both similar. I have a SS of about 107-108 off the tee and would prefer a ball that spins less off the teebox. Seems like the Hex Black is the way to go out of the two, but does it compare pretty well to the B330?

See my post one page back and about 5 posts up, should save you a couple of hours of reading.

I have only played 9 w/ Black. I found it to be comparably straight to the RX, longer and better into the greens, but slightly less durable. Clearly a steal at $27.

See my post one page back and about 5 posts up, should save you a couple of hours of reading.

I have only played 9 w/ Black. I found it to be comparably straight to the RX, longer and better into the greens, but slightly less durable. Clearly a steal at $27.

Thanks buddy!!

Just got home from my first round with the Blacks. My current gamer is the 2012 RXS and I have gone through a dozen Chrome. I'm basically piling on the bandwagon of "WOW" off the tee! (Hit a 299 yard par four, gps said carry was 287; made the 40 footer for a deuce! Was 6 ft off the front of a downwind 317 yard par four. But probably most impressive though was 270ish bullet straight into the wind) I'm a 102 -105mph driver guy and i'm usually seeing 255-270 with the occasional 280+ downwind etc.

Definitely seeing extra distance in the mid-irons as well, and I found myself over the back of a few greens. Had a couple of 90-115 wedges and was very impressed with the spin and the durability on these shots. I didn't find too much cover in my wedge grooves. Too early to say for sure, but I think I agree with some previous posters about a little more run-out on chips and pitches. (My short game wasn't the greatest today, so can't be sure yet.)

I played one ball all round and I thought the durability was good. This ball definitely get less of those "cracks" on the dimple ridges than the Chrome does. I liked the Chrome quite a bit, but I didn't feel compelled to run out and buy more. I was already planning on buying a few more dozen of Blacks before I logged on and saw the $27 sale price! Hope you guys have saved some for me!

Well I only managed to get through page 60 before I'm too tired to read anymore but I'm headed to Golf Galaxy after work tomorrow. At that price, I see no reason why the Hex Black wouldn't work for me at all. I'm honestly planning to pick up 3-4 dozen of them. Long and straight off the tee and good greenside spin sounds right up my alley.

I picked up 2 at Golfsmith, and plan to get a couple more at least online to save on taxes. While getting ready to check out on Amazon, I read a review of the Hex Black and thought i'd add it here for amusement purposed only.

Whack! I drove a par 4 green with one of these Callaway golf balls, about 320. I have been using "swoosh" balls, and I tried several rounds with each, alternating balls, and whereas I am no Iron Byron, and my swing varies sometimes from moment to moment, I did prefer the Callaway Hex Black. I have never entirely liked the "hold" of the swoosh balls, and for some reason I only like Titleist when I borrow them from my brother's bag -- those work really well, no matter which brand, actually -- and these had more stick, on the green, less scorch off the green into the rough and the small brook behind.

I did try some other tests. For example, I lost one in a pond, and it looses pretty well, could not find it in the muck. And I hit one out of bounds, and whacked a cow in the butt, which made a pretty strange sound. I also just missed my personal record for trees struck on a hole (7) and so can attest to durability. No cuts after 6 trees struck, the last one a sapling 3/4 of an inch wide, and I hit it square with a 4-iron and the ball bounced behind me, no nicks, no cuts, and I popped it on and down for my 9.

Anyone in Canada find this deal? If so, that's 4doz at that price easy!

I have been playing the Chrome all summer with good results. I have a 90 mph swing speed and understood the Chrome was for the slower swing like mine. After talking to other players it seems like a mixed bag on which one is the best. Many slower swing speed players like the Black better. The problem I have is the difference in price. Now with the special price, I could go out and try a dozen but when the price jumps back up I would have a problem buying them. These companies are like drug dealers. Give a little, get them hooked and then they can't break the habit. :act-up: Wish both were the same price at the lower level.

Someone in the Callaway Sale thread posted that the deal is available in Canada as well.

TapAhoy!

Anyone in Canada find this deal? If so, that's 4doz at that price easy!

Yes it is at golf town son!

Ok, ok it's my funking iPhone with tapatalk.

I have been playing the Chrome all summer with good results. I have a 90 mph swing speed and understood the Chrome was for the slower swing like mine. After talking to other players it seems like a mixed bag on which one is the best. Many slower swing speed players like the Black better. The problem I have is the difference in price. Now with the special price, I could go out and try a dozen but when the price jumps back up I would have a problem buying them. These companies are like drug dealers. Give a little, get them hooked and then they can't break the habit. :act-up: Wish both were the same price at the lower level.
Yeah for real man. This is the ONLY time I have ever paid more than $15 for a dozen balls. I bought 2 and might buy a couple more. The thing to think about is, it seems to me that the Blacks have gotten far more better reviews than the Chromes and to me that speaks volumes. The weird thing about it is that peoples perceptions of the Chromes vs Black is in complete opposition to what Callaway advertised. hmmm....

WE was nice enough to send me a couple sleeves of the Blacks and I really liked them, so I figured why not. I don't have a slower SS, I would say 103-109 Driver SS but they are LONG and not any less prone to slice or hook than the normal balls I use but they are durable and get even better the closer to the greens that you get.

I ended up getting 4dz of the HEX blacks. This is by far my favorite ball I have ever played. Great distance off the irons, less spin(especially side spin) off the driver, great control around the greens, and great feel with the putter.

really glad and surprised so many people are enjoying the blacks i bought a dozen and i really didn't like them at all felt like i was hitting a rock and the durability was horrible. maybe i got a bad batch or something.

really glad and surprised so many people are enjoying the blacks i bought a dozen and i really didn't like them at all felt like i was hitting a rock and the durability was horrible. maybe i got a bad batch or something.

Compared to your Pentas you're prob right dude

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

After my local rep gave me a couple of sleeves to try I have switched from the Pro V1 over to the Hex Chrome and I am extemely happy with the results:

The following info is off of Ping NFlight system with the average info from hitting 50 balls with my driver:

Back spin has been reduced by approx 400rpm
Trajectory has come down almost 2.5 degrees
Decent angle has gone from 45 degrees to 37 degrees
Distance increase of 8 yards
Price decrease per dozen balls of $11.00

I dont know how much better it can get than that!

Back