Chromax Distance - Forum Testing Review Thread

Went by and took some video on chips, green side bunker, short flops, longer wedge shots, CMB PW from 120, and putting on the green with the Chromax and 3 of the Chromax M1's as well. Introduced 14 other OEM balls on the putting green all arranged from most compression down to least and subdivided within each for cover hardness (for feel/sound purposes). Thought my shoulder/neck was ready for some longer stuff, not quite yet.

Will get those up later tonight and get some thoughts together.

Nice, I'm excited to see those man, I had a fun day with my short game practice/testing too.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Chromax Testing Putting

Equipment Used:
Odyssey White ICE Belly Putter, #7-Courtesy of Wonton!
Taylormade ATV 56, xFT 52,Chromax Distance balls, green and yellow, Callaway Hex Black

Conditions: 41*F, low wind,57*, Sunny.

Wedges
Today I went to the practice green to try some short game work. When I arrived I pulled out the Punisher (56 ATV-punish my opponents with my short game) and I hit a few warm up pitch shots, immediately as I hit a full wedge shot into the green with my sand wedge, I felt that the ball was springy through the shot-this is the first time I've felt the compression bit. I noticed that with a full shot, the ball landed on the green with a significant amount of spin, landed and ran out maybe 2 feet, it wasn't too bad. I then hit the same shot with my Callaway Hex Black just as a comparison, and I really felt the soft urethane cover through the swing, and of course that ball landed and stopped as expected. I then moved to the edge of the green, and hit a few 50 yard pitches. When I hit the Hex Black, it stopped nicely about a foot from where it landed. I then proceeded to hit the Chromax, and the ball ran out at least 6 feet from where it landed. The pin was at the edge of the green, so the ball ran off the green to the second cut. Like I've said many times, I expected this, and a simple adjustment could make this ball easily playable.

8268796026_48d9c707f7.jpg

This is from a couple of pitch shots that I hit, note the divot on the green, and how much the ball ran out from a shot that I'm used to just stopping easily.

8268811352_f9aebd0dc3.jpg

I then proceeded to hit some nice chip shots, I hit the callaway first, and then the Chromax. Both balls were pretty much the same, with the chromax running out a bit more than the callaway. Overall I noticed the same trend, the spin I got from the ball was almost non existent on green side shots, but the approach shot spin was reasonable. Regardless of how much the ball ran out, with my new belly putter, I was able to make the ball in pretty easily so it wasn't that big of a deal.

One thing that concerns me though was the way the cover wore. The past three days, I've spent putting and today I chipped, pitched, and hit wedge shots with it, but when I observed the ball, I saw some strange wear in the cover. First of, both my wedges have conforming grooves, but they seem to be biting and shredding the cover somewhat. Maybe it's from the sand bunker? Regardless, the amount I've used these balls shouldn't have allowed it to be this worn.

Note the wear on the cover.

8267740733_39a975776f_c.jpg

8267740855_98a1ae4980_c.jpg

8267739979_32c88461ba_c.jpg

Sand Bunker

I spent a few minutes hitting sand bunker shots with the punisher. The sand I hit from was rather rough and rocky. Not at all what the course itself has. The first shot went much farther than I usually hit that same shot, which could be caused by compressing the ball. I did feel the same thing though, a springy feel off the face. After a few shots and getting used to the ball, I actually hit it right into the green. I noticed that I lost quite a bit of spin, and I had to be careful because the ball ran out quite a bit as in all the other shots I hit overall, the experience was as expected.

Note how much the balls glow in the sun again.
8268798132_aa1be81250_c.jpg

Visibility in the Rough

Just to prove how visible these balls are, I decided to "recreate" several lies that I tend to find in the rough during my fall/winter rounds. I noticed that regardless of how deep the rough was, or how dry, I was able to spot the ball from a few yards away.

8268794184_346f6dd8d6.jpg

8268794432_0939267daa.jpg

8267724843_80d0017be7.jpg

Note the difference in visibility between the three balls together, below I placed the 3 balls together, as well as in the same lie, to show the difference. I noticed that the green seemed to stand out more, especially since the yellow ball tends to blend better with the yellow fall leaves. But, the yellow is still quite visible.

8267742071_aaaf59cd99.jpg

8267742467_74dce0a367.jpg

8267742697_e55d250710.jpg

8267742911_44125c8946.jpg

While hitting out of the sand bunker, I accidentally hit my ball over the fence into a tumble weed, and if it was a white ball, I would have lost it and never noticed it, but I immediately saw the bright ball cover.
8268796732_100f48566b.jpg

8267725249_701d4b3623.jpg

Just more random shots of the green ball and the same "holographic" glow

8267741837_d35ddcf451.jpg

8268797974_9b9aa460ce.jpg

8267725029_48211c1986.jpg

I'm still not convinced by these balls yet, so far they perform closely to a typical distance ball, and besides the increased visibility, I haven't really seen any advantage of using this ball, I hope more work with this ball changes this.

This is one of the biggest downfalls for me. I really don't like the feel of this thing off a putter. The wedges aren't that bad for me, but the putter is.

I know the price point is high on these, but like I said earlier. If you are gaming this ball on a regular basis, I believe you will actually save money in the long run. If you only give half an effort to finding balls that you hit in the woods or in deep rough, you will find these things and therefore you won't have to buy nearly as many balls. I honestly think the only way to lose them is to hit them in the middle of a pond.

I understand what you are saying about the cost savings....and I guess that is true...But it would take along time for them to save you that much money.

Took these out for a round for 18 holes, primarily testing their short game and wedge play. While hitting the longer clubs are important, most of the shots you hit are within 100yds. My goals during this test period are simple: work from the green back to the tee. I feel that'll keep them in play for as long as possible, and make it very simple to test them week to week opposed to just take them out and give feedback. My reviews are going to be as data heavy as I can. Towards the end of the reviews, I plan on hitting these on a monitor to back up what I've seen on the course in terms of launch, spin, and total distance per group of clubs. For all comparisons as best I can, I'll measure out the distances via laser for the base yardage, GPS for the actual distance, tape measure for release, and average them out to give you guys an idea.

Putting: I putted these against the NXT Tour, DT Solo, and Burner TP. I saw no real difference in distance control, other than on mishits on the putter. They had a definite click to them that was very similar to the DT Solo, but they felt completely different than the Solo. As others had mentioned, they felt very heavy off the face. That feel was much worse on off center hits. As far as the roll on the ball, it was visually different than with any of the other balls. It was almost as if I was watching a ball inside of another ball. Every other ball seemed to roll in your typical end over end roll while these just looked like the cover rolled and there was a ball in the center that didn't move.

Around the green: I've definitely had to make adjustments to it vs the other three balls. The test used was a 20ft shot from the fringe. I hit the NXT Tour and the Burner TP 3 times each in order to get a feel for them. From what I saw, it took a shot of about 15ft of carry at a flagstick height to product 5ft of release to get it close. For the DT solo and Chromax, flying it a similar length resulted in 8-10ft of release. it needed to fly 10ft or so and release another 10ft to get close, using the height of the flagstick as the guideline for height. This IMO was one of the toughest to really test so this will be one of the ones I revisit periodically in order to get more data in order to back up my initial results.

50-70yd range: These started to see some interesting results for me. Again, 3 times for each ball. I started to notice the Chromax launching a little lower than the Burner TP and NXT Tour. The Burner TP/NXT Tour I was hitting at a trajectory I'd consider low-mid and it'd hop once, land, and trickle out anywhere from 2-5ft. The DT Solo would launch at the same trajectory and then release about 10ft based on its pitch mark. The Chromax was interesting in that it launched noticeably lower visually than all the rest and was releasing anywhere from 7-10ft based on its pitch mark on average. Sometimes I'd get the weird ball that would check up immediately but I understand you could get that with any ball based on the wedge, slope, luck, etc.

100yd wedge shots: Very noticeable at this point. NXT Tour and Burner TP landed on average within 2ft of each other with a similar height at an avg of 103yds. DT Solo was lower in height but released on avg 5-6ft upon landing at an avg of 101yds. The Chromax however was noticeably lower launching, releasing 5-8ft at an avg distance of 90yds. FWIW, the lowest was 86, longest was 94, and the middle was 90. I had a feeling after the 50-70yds shot that this ball was lower launching than the others but this kinda surprised me. It's as if the ball wasn't able to hit its optimum height. I'm not positive what's making this happen (shallow dimples, amount of dimples, spin, etc) but it was very puzzling. This I feel will also need another visit in order to confirm if I don't see similar results with the PW-8i as well as 7-5i.

Next attempt is going to be the shorter irons PW-8i hopefully this weekend. If you guys have any questions, please feel free to ask. I know testing a ball is a little more difficult but I'll do whatever I can to answer questions and test different scenarios for you!

sounds like you are seeing alot of what I found...balls about 5-10 yards shorter with a lower launch....and I agree with what Hawk said about playing better in the wind...he and I both commented about having good rounds in the wind and I think this may just be a really really good wind ball.

I think the reflection screws with the cameras. I won't be surprised if some LM's are the same.

maybe take one of two and put a light coat of white spray paint on them to cut down the reflection?????? Just a thought.

sounds like you are seeing alot of what I found...balls about 5-10 yards shorter with a lower launch....and I agree with what Hawk said about playing better in the wind...he and I both commented about having good rounds in the wind and I think this may just be a really really good wind ball.

Maybe, but I'm gonna need a little more testing to prove that. Some shots into the wind were yielding the same results, some weren't.

Nicely done Satch, that's one thing these balls do bring is visibility. Noticed that a lot this evening while looking at the videos.

Nicely done Satch, that's one thing these balls do bring is visibility. Noticed that a lot this evening while looking at the videos.

Thanks man, yeah all these pictures don't do it justice, they are so freakin bright, it's pretty funky lol.

Nice reviews by everyone. I am just getting caught up here on this thread. The pictures and write ups have been outstandig and have answered just about every question that I think I might would have.

maybe take one of two and put a light coat of white spray paint on them to cut down the reflection?????? Just a thought.

It actually would work, but the paint would come of the ball and leave me a ghosted club face :D

J4U - excited to hear your thoughts!

Satchmo - again with a fantastic post! I love it buddy. It sounds like you are seeing almost identical results to me when it comes to short game shots. I think having played the e6 for a couple months made the transition pretty seamless to me. If I'd gone straight from the Hex Black or Z-Star to the Chromax I suspect I'd have needed a little more time.

The wear is interesting. Did you say that it showed up after some sand shots? I wonder how the translucent cover affects the way scuffs like that show compared to a white ball. It seems like the scuffs almost turn that area opaque.

It actually would work, but the paint would come of the ball and leave me a ghosted club face :D

J4U - excited to hear your thoughts!

Satchmo - again with a fantastic post! I love it buddy. It sounds like you are seeing almost identical results to me when it comes to short game shots. I think having played the e6 for a couple months made the transition pretty seamless to me. If I'd gone straight from the Hex Black or Z-Star to the Chromax I suspect I'd have needed a little more time.

The wear is interesting. Did you say that it showed up after some sand shots? I wonder how the translucent cover affects the way scuffs like that show compared to a white ball. It seems like the scuffs almost turn that area opaque.

Yeah I noticed it after some sand shots. I'm not sure if it's from the sand itself, or from the wedge grooves, all I know is that all 3 balls have them. I'm going to try and clean it off, maybe it cleans off easily. Yeah it was a bit of a jump going from a multi pics urethane to a 2 piece. Today or tomorrow I'll be hitting the green again and get more wedge work in.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I got a tee time booked for in the morning hopefully to get a chance to do some good sand testing for tomorrow... usually try to stay away from sand but tomorrow I wont be bothered if it lands in the trap....lol

Good luck out there APCo.

I am heading out after lunch to test the Chromax balls again. I am thinking about a comparison between three yellow balls, the Wilson Fifty, the Vision UV:X3 and the B330-RX. Visibility will be great as today is a sunny day with a high expected in the low 60's.

Good plan, DawgDaddy. Have fun out there! That weather makes me jealous.

I am so far behind all, totally my bad. I get about a five minutes with free THP time it feels. :beat-up: Anyhoo, I have about three...maybe 3.5 posts to finish. Going to try to leave work early today, get some more testing time and get some posts up tonight. :act-up: Testing this ball has been fun with the looks it gets, I'm so so on performance, but more later today.

Looking forward to it, d.

Finally got to the range today. Been hard to find the time with issues at home.
I will get something together and get it posted tonight. I will let you know that I had fun with this ball today. I was wanting to go straight onto the course and play using the Chromax balls, but there was a small back up of 4 somes. Thought that the practice green would serve me better today.

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

It sounds like these are just a regular distance ball execpt the colour and the cost. Do you guy's think you will lose less of these balls compared to you regular white ball and that could justify the price?

It sounds like these are just a regular distance ball execpt the colour and the cost. Do you guy's think you will lose less of these balls compared to you regular white ball and that could justify the price?

Not necessarily. When I lose a ball, it's rarely because I can't find it. It's usually because it's in a water hazard or in a forest. Although it is helpful as can be at locating when not in the fairway

I think with the color, I could find them so easily in the rough and other hard to find places, so I'm hoping that I don't lose them as easily as other distance balls. So far I haven't seen performance that stands out to me, it's pretty predictable, but I got to admit that the color is really unique which is an advantage.

Links to my first 2 reviews

Went out to the course to day expecting sunshine and 62* degrees or so. The clouds came out about an hour before I hit the links so there was no sun and the temps were only in the high 50's. For some reason my Flip camera was squirrely and recorded only what it wanted to. I have a partial hole video that I will post, and one pretty cool pic of the balls I was hitting today.

Here is the picture, the balls were in this order,Chromax Green, Chromax Gold, Vision UV:X3, Wilson Staff Fifty & Bridgestone B330-RX. As bright as the other balls look in this photo, they really do not even come close to having the same visibility as the 2 Chromax balls. I agree with what some of the other folks have posted about the green ball, it just seems to be a little easier for me to see at a distance, but both of them just scream "here I am".

Spoiler
BallTest.jpg

I have some head to head comparisons for only one hole each. The course was fairly crowded on the front side so I could not hit more than one ball as people were behind me and I was playing through people all the way to the eight hole, I seperated from the pack on nine and began my tests on ten. First in the head to head was the Chromax vs the B330-RX. The drive with the RX was 21 yards ahead of the Chromax, I really felt that I put a good swing on each. The tenth is a par 5 and I hit both from the same place as the RX drive. On this shot the Chromax was 10 yards further than the RX and both were hit very similarly again. This put me on the fringe so I chipped each, the RX I ran 6 feet past, the Chromax I hit the pin and stopped about 18 inches past the hole so I am not sure if it would have run long or not. Bottom line is I birdied the Chromax and missed the 6 footer with the RX.

The next challenger was the Wilson Staff Fifty, the Chromax was 23 yards longer on the drive and 6 yards longer with the gap wedge. Both putts were fairly long on two putted each, par with both balls. The next up was the Vision UV:X3 it performed very well. 15 yards ahead of the Chromax on the drive and 6 yards longer with the 9 iron approach shot. I actually missed the green short with the Chromax so I pitched from that position, I was about 20 yards from the pin, I hit the Chromax and it flew about 17 yards and released for about 6 feet, easy par. The Vision was not hit as well and even though it too released a couple of yards I was still 15 feet short, missed the first putt so I bogeyed with the Vision.

I also did a short vid on a par three where I hit one of each of the brands. The Flip camera did not get the tee shots but I have where the shots were and then hit a putt with each ball. I really tried to capture the sound of each ball. The vid has been acting up when I try to view it, I may try to redo it and see if I can get it to work it the problem continues.

The Chromax held it's own against the competition today and as always was fun to hit. I was somewhat surprised that in the vid it sounded closer to the B330-RX than the Fifty, I expected it to be just the opposite. As always please don't hesitate to ask questions.

maybe put some impact tape on your driver to keep the paint from transferring????????????????????

I know that there have been at least 3 times where I hit a ball into deep rough and the chromax just jumped out at me...there was also one that I pulled into some bushes and itt was there just glowing looking right at me. I probably would have lost at least one of those...maybe 2

I will be heading out in the morning and will be putting the Chromax against the Titleist Velocity.

Not only do they jump out at you compared to a regular white ball, they do the same compared to a yellow ball too.

Some Short Game Thoughts:

12/11/12 52* and Sunny
Just before Sunset between 2:30 and 4:00
Family Sports Center

With the snow finally melting off the ground on Tuesday afternoon, took advantage of some great weather. The previous two days were snow covered and hovering just around freezing. With the melting and doubling of temperatures, the chipping greens were rather soft. The putting greens were not cut, so I focused more on the feel and sound as the sun was going down. With continued treatment, hoping the shoulder/neck heals quickly and can get into some longer club selections and get to some thoughts about the aspect of this ball "Distance".

TOOLS USED:

ATV 56* & 60* (Why not throw another twist and test both a new ball and new wedges on the same day)
Used the 60* on all wedge shots except the green side pitch to see a more lofted landing.
ADAMS CMB PW 48*
Odyssey Protype 2Ball Putter

I opted to just test the Chromax Series (Both M1 and "Distance") around the chipping green:

SAND (ATV60)

I dropped 6 "Distance" balls and 3 "M1" series balls into a green side bunker. This 9 ball combination will also be used on everything except the putting green. The bunker was 6 feet below green level and sand was moist, but not wet as expected from the snow thaw. I couple shots I thinned and went right into some snow that was on the steep side of the bunker, but overall not too bad of conditions. I used the ATV 60* and opened it up to prevent going too deep into the bunker.

There wasn't much difference in feel between the new series vs the M1's from the sand (as expected for the ones that made it to the green anyway). I did not drop down to the 56* this time, but will utilize that club for the next encounter. Sound and feel comparable to the higher compression/harder cover balls that will get more comparison work. The green rolls downhill I would say at about 4* towards the pin you will see. The 60* seems to put enough spin on the ball to just slow down the roll upon impact and then slowly release down the slope. Nothing negative to note in my mind:
Spoiler

50YD Wedge (ATV60)

Here and going forward, I could really feel the higher compression of the "Distance" Chromax balls. The M1 series (at 75) was more of a duller "click" but could tell the cover was still pretty firm.

I liked the trajectory in the wind and really saw no effect of the flight (Cross Wind 7-12mph guess). They landed pretty soft, but did not flop and stop. A little more roll out that what I would want, but expected. Nothing here that would turn me away from this ball right off the bat. Could adjust shots accordingly and allow for the release:
Spoiler

60YD Wedge (ATV60)
As with the 50YD visuals, a little more roll out. I couldn't get my shoulder to relax and try and compress the ball to get more spin. Nothing extreme and could work with what I was seeing. Keep in mind, even though it is winter, the greens were unusually soft and would probably keep on rolling a lot more.
Spoiler
[video=youtube_share;uEJA4s8-X4U]http://youtu.be/uEJA4s8-X4U[/video]

Green Side Chip (ATV56)
Apologize for the video, didn't set the mount far enough in the ground and it started to lean forward. Here is where it was really more of my issue with a new wedge, but was very happy overall. Really clicky here and kind of annoyed me a little bit, could have been the wedge as well. Again, soft greens, but liked what I saw with roll out and could possibly get over the click of the cover:
Spoiler

120YD CMB Wedge
Here is where my shoulder/neck told me I was trying to push myself back out on the course. Not really the best feeling motion, but was able to get a good feel for what the ball could do. Really good flight into the cross wind with little to no movement. Only a couple shots that I felt I put a good swing on it and you can probably tell which ones they were. Here is where I could see that these Chromax balls could be held on the green with a hop and stop on softer greens. I don't see them really being able to be brought back much, but like what I saw here. Had a bad camera angle, but all but one stayed on the green (shoulder gave out and I pushed the last one to the right into the bunker). A couple hit closer to the camera, but still held the green:
Spoiler
[video=youtube_share;EkbTN-xhofw]http://youtu.be/EkbTN-xhofw[/video]

Putting Green

There were no holes cut on the practice green, and it was a lot firmer. Not what you would expect in the winter, but not as soft as the chipping greens. I mainly wanted to hear/feel what the cover of the Chromax would sound like after reading the other reviews. It is quite loud, but similar to higher compression/harder cover balls that I also putted with during this short trial. The distance loss that I've also read was experienced as well. I attempted to put the same putt on all the balls and noticed that the non-Chromax balls did roll a bit longer.

The balls used in order of putt are listed below the video. I need to renumber them and add a couple I forgot I had since I was off in sequence(out of order from higher to lower compression). The idea was to order the balls based off compression (highest to lowest) and within each level of compression, harder to softer cover.
Spoiler

1: Callaway Hex Black Tour
2: Srixon Zstar XV
3. Bidgestone E5
4. Taylormade Penta TP
5. Titleist ProV1
6. Bridgestone B330
7. Titleist NXT Tour
8. Top Flight Gamer V2
9, Taylormade Rockeballz
10. Bridgestone E7 (should have been 3)
11. Srixon QStar (Don't have specs on this yet)
12. Callaway HX Diablo
13. Nike Vapor Black
14. Wilson Fifty

I will utilize the above, along with a couple others I forgot, for comparison going forward on other avenues of the short game as well.

I've come away with a lot of the same perceptions as other testors after my initial testing session.

• Sound off multiple shot types are loud and clicky but not a deal breaker..hey they stand out in the rough, why not in sound
  • The ball does seem to require more adjustment when putting.
  • There is added roll out possibility, but nothing that couldn't be adjusted for.
  • Price point for the performance aspects seems at least one level high (Could compensate for lost balls where normally you shouldn't but water is water).
  • These are an absolute eye catcher, especially in low light conditions. Uriel has captured both low and sunny shots..they speak for themselves (great pics Uriel).
Please feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Today was my first day at the course to do some testing. I was going to head out onto the course and paly a few holes, but there were to many people out enjoying the day. Since that was not an option for the time available to me, I went to the practice green to finally put a club to these Chromax balls. I had stopped this past weekend and grabbed some balls to use for comparison, but did not find all the ones I wanted to use. So today I used two that I just did geet,Titleist NXT Tour S and Callaway Hex Chrome Yellow, along with a new TM Penta TP5 and an old Callaway HX Hot Plus.These are what I was using for comparisons today.
bth_20121213_155434.jpg

As you can see I had 3 white and the one yellow that I will use for the first couple days here. I really was just trying to get a feel for the Chromax balls today and see if I noticed anything out of the ordinary while striking these balls. Many of the testers have already discussed the color and brightness of these balls and they were not joking. They stand out like a neon light.

bth_20121213_155550.jpg

On the far left is the gold chromax and the middle green is chromax.( Sorry about the picts. I was not sure how the samsung picts would turn out.) And when the sun is on them I believe it would be hard to loose these. I did chip a few out into a grassy area off to the side, not looking where I was intending the ball to go, just to see how easy it would be to find in the late afternoon sun. I was not watching where they landed or rolled to. Curious as to how hard they would be to see from a distance. Honestly I was thinking to myself that it would suck loosing one of these balls while at the practice green. How bad would that be? I finished chipping the other 5 balls up onto the green and then went off looking for lost green chromax. I can tell you that when I came around the bush that was between me and the area that I chipped this ball to, it was very surprising how well that ball stood out in that grass. I can say that the white ball would have taken some time to find in that thick dormant bermuda.
I played around with all 6 balls for some time trying to get a feel for the distance of carry and roll for each of these. I did see 2 chips that just continued to roll out, but the rest were all generally the same. The TP5 was def stopping shorter that the rest, but I was fine with all and no one in particular was going crazy long. I tried some bump and runs with my 56* with some pretty good luck. Toward the end of my time chipping, I went and got my 58* to see if I could get these balls to stop where they landed. No way I could do that. Now I am not the best at this, but I tried it from tight lies, fluffy lies, and fairway lies. No good from me. I did get into some thick rough and popped some out with the 58*. Nice high flighted balls, maybe 25/30 yards out. The chromax came off the club rather softly and landing good. It felt good coming off the face, not like a rock, but a nice playable shot.

Sorry, but I ran out of time tonight to address putting. I did get some time in with these, but I will have to get to that tomorrow. Time to get the kids to bed.

I had a good time playing around with these tonight. This was def not what I was expecting for my first experience with these balls. I will be getting these onto the course at the beginning of next week. Try to get in a few rounds before the holiday.

Good stuff J4U, those vids must have taken a long time to upload. I appreciate your hard work buddy.

Back