Chromax Distance - Forum Testing Review Thread

J4U thanks for the hard work that 120 yard shot was eye opening. The performance looked really good.

Did not see afw's review last night, good stuff buddy, those balls really are just that easy to find in the thick stuff.

Thanks for the great summaries, DawgDaddy, J4U and afw. I really enjoyed them!

Thanks, GG! It's been a fun product to test for me so far.

Hopefully the company is following and enjoying. Will have these out on Sunday!

I just got back from a round in some howling winds again...played the full 18 holes with the Chromax balls today and lost my first one....it drowned in a water hazard...although as much as they glow some fish might have eaten it....LOL.

I will have a full write up later this afternoon.

It's been a really fun and interesting product to test so far, clubs are easy haha, it's smaller things like balls that are harder to test, but can be the most
Important thing in the bag. It's really been a fun week with them.

Either today I tomorrow I'll be going back to the range for more wedge work, But this time I'll be doing more specialty/ full shots I think, maybe even some bump and run with other clubs (hybrid etc) I basically want to see how this ball responds and reacts to my normal techniques that I use in game play, I must admit that the color still intrigues me and I find the visibility fascinating

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

Sorry for the delay, but here we go.
Back to yesterdays testing. The Chromax testing was very productive. I learned the the balls roll ok with an insert putter. I was having some good results with it. I did have to adjust a bit coming from the TP ball, but it was not a problem. It is def not soft , but the Chromax were consistant with the HX and the NXT when it came to the feel off the putter face. I was finding the pace of the green quite well with these. I would really like to try a milled face putter and see the difference in the feel. I will try and get the one I gave my brother a while back and get it to the course Monday.
To start the puttinng testing, I was rolling about a 10' putt and again started with the HX ball and then went with the NXT for feel of the distance. I would use the chromax next and finally the chrome and the TP5 last. The only ball that was an issue was the TP5, I believe due to the thimking that I would need to hit it harder to get it there. The chromax rolled impressively and smooth, but no worse or better than the others. I continued putting for about an hour mixing up the lengths and the breaks of the putts until the end when I attempted some 40/50' putts. Now this is where I did see the chromax having an issue. I ran all the balls up to within 18" except the chromax. They came up short on a couple of occassions. Not sure if it was the ball or the strike with the putt. I will try again next week while on tthe course and see what happens.
I had some fun with this testing yesterday. I really do like trying different equipment and playing around with it. I am l forward to getting these out and throwing some real swings on these balls.

I did chip a few out into a grassy area off to the side, not looking where I was intending the ball to go, just to see how easy it would be to find in the late afternoon sun. I was not watching where they landed or rolled to.
I would be afraid of losing them and having to come up with good story :confused2::bashful:

Good stuff J4U, those vids must have taken a long time to upload. I appreciate your hard work buddy.
A lot longer than I thought it would that's for sure! Thanks DD

J4U thanks for the hard work that 120 yard shot was eye opening. The performance looked really good.
I was quite surprised reading about roll out, they behaved pretty well. For someone that can really control the ball, I bet these could be pulled back, just don't think I could.

Thanks for the great summaries, DawgDaddy, J4U and afw. I really enjoyed them!
Thanks Hawk

I just want to say that you guys are doing an absolutely phenomenal job with this testing! I am really impressed!!
Thanks GG, am amazed at how much work goes into these things and it's only a single golf ball!

I just got back from a round in some howling winds again...played the full 18 holes with the Chromax balls today and lost my first one....it drowned in a water hazard...although as much as they glow some fish might have eaten it....LOL.

I will have a full write up later this afternoon.

:angel: You know they were looking at ball sinking and went for closer inspection!

Seriously though, I know I've read where people have talked about testing. The time and energy that it takes to complete one, I had no idea and I'm just beginning with a simple golf ball! Big eye opener for me and truly have a better appreciation for all those threads I've read!

I continued putting for about an hour mixing up the lengths and the breaks of the putts until the end when I attempted some 40/50' putts. Now this is where I did see the chromax having an issue. I ran all the balls up to within 18" except the chromax. They came up short on a couple of occassions.

Great thoughts there AFW. Although I didn't spend any time actually putting, I did see a bit of difference in the amount of roll between the Chromax and other OEM's with just a simple stroke. Plan on making a trip to another course with a better putting green soon.

I know these are "Distance" balls, but I agree with Satch in that the short game is what grabs my attention. I'm looking forward to seeing what these will do off the big sticks for sure, just hope the weather here doesn't pose to much of an issue with compression.

i love everything about this ball
if only it was cheaper and could swim

i love everything about this ball
if only it was cheaper and could swim

Yeah the balls are still pretty cool, great to look at, just a bit pricey for what they are if you ask me, if they were the right price, I wouldn't mind them as a winter ball so far

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

Yeah the balls are still pretty cool, great to look at, just a bit pricey for what they are if you ask me, if they were the right price, I wouldn't mind them as a winter ball so far

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

I think at a lower price they could be a great ball for the "hard to find your ball in the fairway seasons". A bit too high compression for Colorado winter golf I think, but will find out soon. The cover is a bit harsh for my liking, but pretty impressed with what I've seen so far.

LtEvO TaPpEd In

I think at a lower price they could be a great ball for the "hard to find your ball in the fairway seasons". A bit too high compression for Colorado winter golf I think, but will find out soon. The cover is a bit harsh for my liking, but pretty impressed with what I've seen so far.

LtEvO TaPpEd In

yeah the cover is a bit harsh for me too, maybe for you, the 85 would be better for your real winter haha, 90 is fine down here.

I played nine holes today and also did a little comparing golf balls along the way.

Actually had another good round with these in the bag, which I always find interesting. Preferences don't always lead to lower scores I guess. We had some light rain yesterday. Not enough to leave things soaked, but enough to soften up everything. This led to some faster stopping action on the greens, which was both good and bad. Most noticeably bad on chip shots because I wasn't getting the roll out I expected, which left me farther from the hole than I was hoping at times.

Here's a comparison shot using two photos - one with the Chromax and the other with a Srixon Z-Star. This was a 90 yard shot - a 9:00 swing with my 49° wedge. Normally I see some pretty quick stopping action with this shot. Obviously more with a urethane ball, but still can get decent results with surlyn due to spin and trajectory.

First picture is the Chromax. As you can see, hop and stop. This shot actually resulted in a birdie, which is always a treat.
20121216_120702-L.jpg

Next picture is the Z-Star. This one spun back about 2 feet or so.

20121216_130714-L.jpg

Not anything here that surprised me, but it's always nice to see performance in pictures.

Distance and Wind

I think winds were 10-15mph today. Nothing huge, but enough that it had an effect on the ball. A few times off the tee I hit an e6 after I hit the Chromax. When the wind wasn't hurting me, I saw very similar results both off the driver and with hybrids/fairway wood. When playing into the wind, the Chromax was longer for me pretty much across the board. Oddly, the trajectory didn't seem that different.

Here's a look at a hybrid from the tee on a short par 4. This shot was directly into the wind. The difference in distance was actually ten yards here. I know that ball vs ball is sort of dependent on the swing, but I felt like I put a similar swing on both balls. Both were high-ish draws than came back to center. Not much roll that I saw due to the wet conditions.

20121216_131040-L.jpg

After seeing this and my past results, I do think I might look at these balls a little closer for windy days. I've had some success using them in wind three times now and I can't help but think that's not a coincidence.

Durability

Well, cart paths don't go well with Chromax :)

20121216_120400-L.jpg

There was something I noticed after a pretty good wedge shot today. A tear of some sort in the metallic layer. Oddly, the cover didn't look damaged. No clue what it is, or if it's even an issue.

20121216_120926-L.jpg

Anyway, fun as always. I was able to spot the ball well, it was good into the wind, and feel wasn't terrible considering it was in the high 30's.

Great review. I'm surprised to hear it does well in the wind!

Nice writeup Hawk. Now get back to the Bladez forum. Just kidding. The photos were great - sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. I find it interesting that the ball out performs the e6 in wind. I've had pretty good luck with the e6 in the wind. That plus the extra distance makes this an interesting option (though I'm not in love with the price point).

Great review. I'm surprised to hear it does well in the wind!

Thanks, bmik! I'm wondering if it's spinning less for me and that's helping it cut through the wind better. So tough to say.

Nice writeup Hawk. Now get back to the Bladez forum. Just kidding. The photos were great - sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. I find it interesting that the ball out performs the e6 in wind. I've had pretty good luck with the e6 in the wind. That plus the extra distance makes this an interesting option (though I'm not in love with the price point).

I do need to make my way over there! I always save that one for when I have some time and my kids about to wake up.

I'll say that both were almost identical without the wind. The e6 feels so much better on full shots to me. Just a very soft ball off the club face compared to the Chromax.

I just want to say that you guys are doing an absolutely phenomenal job with this testing! I am really impressed!!

Thanks, GG! It's been a fun product to test for me so far.

Thanks GG, I agree with Hawk, this is a fun product to test. It never fails to get comments from other golfers anytime I tee it up.
I spent a couple of days in Tally and did not see this thread until now so that is why I have not commented lately.

Great stuff Hawk! Was seeing very similar hop/stop in fuller shots, but wasn't comparing balls when I did mine to see comparison. Great pictures to show that the Chromax can hold it's own on the green.

Very similar with wind interaction as well with the Chromax, didn't seem to have much affect.

LtEvO TaPpEd In

Nice review Ryan, I think I will be trying the Chromax out again either Tuesday or Wednesday next, it is supposed to rain here tomorrow. I haven't hit a cartpath as yet and was wondering how bad the scuff would look on one of these balls, all I can say is ouch. :beat-up:

Nice write up Hawk. While looking at your pics I saw something that looked familar:

There was something I noticed after a pretty good wedge shot today. A tear of some sort in the metallic layer. Oddly, the cover didn't look damaged. No clue what it is, or if it's even an issue.

20121216_120926-L.jpg

One of my chromax green has the exact same cut look under the outer layer. I was thinking it was something from the manufacturing process. Maybe when you compress this ball it can tear the inner foil or whatever that layer is. What is funny though, I have only chipped and putted with these balls so far. I have not put a full swing on these yet. I am hoping to get them on the course tomorrow for a few holes and some comparison to some other balls.

Home after a day of travel and 18 using these, will have a write up tomorrow. Some interesting results in a bit of wind and on firm greens.

Home after a day of travel and 18 using these, will have a write up tomorrow. Some interesting results in a bit of wind and on firm greens.

Interesting little tease there, looking forward to your write up!

Back