Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Sounds like you just convinced yourself to go buy them then.

You're like a psych therapist!

What do I owe you?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

You're like a psych therapist!

What do I owe you?

Lol, nothing dude, all you needed was a push in the right OEMing direction.
War Eagle just dropping sense around like he owns the place!!
It's what I do.

I Finally had a chance to see these. Actually a combo set. I was a bit taken aback at how thin the soles were. Just not used to seeing that. Pretty dazzling otherwise!

I Finally had a chance to see these. Actually a combo set. I was a bit taken aback at how thin the soles were. Just not used to seeing that. Pretty dazzling otherwise!

Maximum playaworkability forged into every sole!

Man! Screw Tapatalk!!!

The 588's play just like the i20's to me. They feel completely different but play almost identically. If I can have the 588's because I LOVE the way the look, sound, feel and not have to change my game from iron to iron then why not? I wanna hoard some clubs that are gonna be considered some of the all time greats here in some years and I feel like both of these fit that bill.

I'm inclined to agree with you but I will take it a step further. I actually think these are easier to hit. I actually think these are better at cutting through the turf. I actually think these are more addictive to hit due to the feedback you get via sound at impact and the feel of the leading edge ripping through turf.

The only thing that I don't like about these is the glare you can catch off the top line. I prefer a satin finish over a chrome one for sure.

The soles are extremely thin on both. I expected it from the MB but not so much from the CB.

I mean it's amazing how identical they are down there as two completely different irons!
View attachment 4926

The soles are extremely thin on both. I expected it from the MB but not so much from the CB.

I mean it's amazing how identical they are down there as two completely different irons!
View attachment 4926

CB on the right?

Hit the CB's extremely well today! Shot 76 (4 over), and was absolutely dialed in with my irons. Only hit a couple tight to the pin, but fairways and middle of greens all day.

CB on the right?

Yeah, it's on the right. You really have to look though, don't you.

No sense in this thread being so far down the list. After 36 holes yesterday I feel I've gotten a much better understanding of these irons and honestly I'm tickled with them. I'm finding that I really like looking down at the smaller profile at address yet it also gives me a little boost of confidence. Perhaps that's because experience has shown me I hit these as well if not better than I was my previous irons here recently.

A few shots stuck with me from yesterday that illustrate what I enjoy about these irons. First round on #3 which s a par 5 I had 160 in from the right rough after I sent a fairway wood off into the trash. I pulled 7 iron instead of 8 because I didn't want to risk coming up short in a bunker if I missed. Well I caught it perfect and went a touch long and it drew on me so I was in the fringe on the left of the green. My old irons were consistent faders so I haven't quite mentally adjusted to the straight to small draw I get with these, that's not to say these don't fade I'll discuss that in a few.

#4 is a shorter par and after a good drive I had 120 to front pin, long is dead here so I put a pitching wedge to 10 feet. Nice and high and landed softly, the club felt great as it blew through the bermuda fairway, gave a smooth thwack feel at impact.

I can't remember the hole number, maybe number 9 but I had a shot from some sick wet rough, a very tough shot and though I caught it well the rough grabbed the hosel and spun the club in my hands. Ball landed a little short of the green and left, no harm done got up and down.

Second round I had 135 into an elevated green that was playing back into the wind so I wanted to flight the ball low and let it run up. Played a 9 iron back a little and hit it perfectly how I wanted, low piercing fade that released to pin high about 20' left of the hole.

On a par 3 I took 7 iron and wanted to fade it into the green as left is pretty dead and even if I missed I would avoid some serious bunkers. Well I didn't take into account how dead the air was and even though I made great contact the ball went nowhere, I was a solid 10 yards short and in the bunker.

Thanks for reading that, sorry if I was a little scattered I should've posted last night while my thoughts were fresh. So far I've been nothing but impressed with this offering from Cleveland and I don't think there has been a single instance where these have cost me a shot on the course. Truly an impressive iron in every way.

No sense in this thread being so far down the list. After 36 holes yesterday I feel I've gotten a much better understanding of these irons and honestly I'm tickled with them. I'm finding that I really like looking down at the smaller profile at address yet it also gives me a little boost of confidence. Perhaps that's because experience has shown me I hit these as well if not better than I was my previous irons here recently.

A few shots stuck with me from yesterday that illustrate what I enjoy about these irons. First round on #3 which s a par 5 I had 160 in from the right rough after I sent a fairway wood off into the trash. I pulled 7 iron instead of 8 because I didn't want to risk coming up short in a bunker if I missed. Well I caught it perfect and went a touch long and it drew on me so I was in the fringe on the left of the green. My old irons were consistent faders so I haven't quite mentally adjusted to the straight to small draw I get with these, that's not to say these don't fade I'll discuss that in a few.

#4 is a shorter par and after a good drive I had 120 to front pin, long is dead here so I put a pitching wedge to 10 feet. Nice and high and landed softly, the club felt great as it blew through the bermuda fairway, gave a smooth thwack feel at impact.

I can't remember the hole number, maybe number 9 but I had a shot from some sick wet rough, a very tough shot and though I caught it well the rough grabbed the hosel and spun the club in my hands. Ball landed a little short of the green and left, no harm done got up and down.

Second round I had 135 into an elevated green that was playing back into the wind so I wanted to flight the ball low and let it run up. Played a 9 iron back a little and hit it perfectly how I wanted, low piercing fade that released to pin high about 20' left of the hole.

On a par 3 I took 7 iron and wanted to fade it into the green as left is pretty dead and even if I missed I would avoid some serious bunkers. Well I didn't take into account how dead the air was and even though I made great contact the ball went nowhere, I was a solid 10 yards short and in the bunker.

Thanks for reading that, sorry if I was a little scattered I should've posted last night while my thoughts were fresh. So far I've been nothing but impressed with this offering from Cleveland and I don't think there has been a single instance where these have cost me a shot on the course. Truly an impressive iron in every way.
You hit some really good shots in some really terrible conditions yesterday. The shot you had on that Par 5 sticks in my mind, and buddy, that was a heck of a golf shot out of the rough. Nice trajectory, and landed and stuck the green leaving you with an easy putt. It's good to see you have such a good transition from the 2.0s to these. Those things sure do look nice sitting with the rest of the Cleveland gear you have sitting in that bag.

Thanks dude, and thanks for being my sounding board during the round. I needed to flesh some thoughts out and you were a great help. Might be up that way later this week, I'll be in touch.

--
Tapatalk2

Thanks dude, and thanks for being my sounding board during the round. I needed to flesh some thoughts out and you were a great help. Might be up that way later this week, I'll be in touch.

--
Tapatalk2

Just let me know, I'm always up for a round. Sarasota National down in Venice has some awesome deals right now.

Danny,like War said you hit some quality shots yesterday in some damp conditions. From where I was sitting, if you cleared the left hip better you would have hit a lot more on your intended lines. You swing looks good but for some reason your left hip is not clearing the zone so you were leaving some of your shots outside of the line you wanted or flipping the hands to force it on the line.
When you did clear I saw some really well struck shots with great trajectory. Work on clearing that hip and that soft draw you like with be more consistent. On a side note, you played the wedges like your created them. Your play around the green really stood out to me.

--
Tapatalk2

Danny,like War said you hit some quality shots yesterday in some damp conditions. From where I was sitting, if you cleared the left hip better you would have hit a lot more on your intended lines. You swing looks good but for some reason your left hip is not clearing the zone so you were leaving some of your shots outside of the line you wanted or flipping the hands to force it on the line.
When you did clear I saw some really well struck shots with great trajectory. Work on clearing that hip and that soft draw you like with be more consistent. On a side note, you played the wedges like your created them. Your play around the green really stood out to me.

Thank you so much Freddie, that means a lot coming from you. Clearing my hips is exactly what I'm working on with Golftec, it's a long hard road but the results are worth it, like you said.

Safe travels this week.

--
Tapatalk2

One thing I'm really enjoying about the 588's is that the distances are very consistent. Even on directional misses, I'm seeing myself right in line with the distance I hoped.

I'm finding some nice success in taking off a little and putting the ball where I want it with the scoring irons. I had two 1/2 swings yesterday with the PW that landed and stopped at the exact distance I wanted them too - on of which was inside 8 feet. The other was about 15 feet off. Part of my plan with the 588's was utilizing the scoring irons in that way and I've been really happy with the results.

TC, How do you think the PXi shafts compare to the older PX graphite shafts? I'm currently using the latter, and while I like them I think I am hitting my current irons too high. I am working on my swing to lower the ball flight, but that's another issue....I would rather not get another high launching shaft.

The shaft optimizer and online guides are all picking the PXi shafts for me. I really want the KBS Tour 90s, but those are not an OEM option. Maybe I'm stressing over my shaft selection too much....

Rusty - did you get the Pxi recommendation from the True Temper shaftfit website? If so, I could hardly not get that recommendation, regardless of what I put in there. It's not advice that I ever listen to, but can you try and get set up on the Mizuno shaft optimizer?

One thing I'm really enjoying about the 588's is that the distances are very consistent. Even on directional misses, I'm seeing myself right in line with the distance I hoped.

I'm finding some nice success in taking off a little and putting the ball where I want it with the scoring irons. I had two 1/2 swings yesterday with the PW that landed and stopped at the exact distance I wanted them too - on of which was inside 8 feet. The other was about 15 feet off. Part of my plan with the 588's was utilizing the scoring irons in that way and I've been really happy with the results.

The interesting thing that I found on the range last night was that the distances were fairly consistent and the side-to-side dispersion is better. I'm not getting as many big hooks with these clubs as compared to my last set of irons. I was hitting my 7 iron at a 160 flag that I could normally get to with my old irons, and I was 5-10 yards short with these clubs. So I'm hitting shots a little straighter, but shorter, I think I can deal with that. Part of it may have been hitting range balls, as I hit a tee shot on a par 3 last week with the 7 iron that I measured at 164 yards carry distance. I expected these irons to be a little shorter than my prior set, but it's still a small adjustment. However, if I can hit more greens, I don't care if I have to hit a 8 iron when I used to hit a 9 iron.

It is an adjustment at first, Ary. I am lucky to have gone through that last year with the V2's, but I found the same thing in that I hit the 7 iron just as well as I did my old 8 iron, so it was really a wash for me. I also see more distance on the course, but they tell me our range balls are built to be shorter. With your distance, I think you'll be just fine, especially if it comes with tighter dispersion.

I will say that my distances appear to be just a little longer with these compared to the V2's, but they are bent stronger. I think I could get more out of them with a different shaft most of the time. I'm not 100% sure I'm happy with my shaft choice. It's reliable in terms of ball flight, but I think I could get more out of them with a different shaft.

It is an adjustment at first, Ary. I am lucky to have gone through that last year with the V2's, but I found the same thing in that I hit the 7 iron just as well as I did my old 8 iron, so it was really a wash for me. I also see more distance on the course, but they tell me our range balls are built to be shorter. With your distance, I think you'll be just fine, especially if it comes with tighter dispersion.

I will say that my distances appear to be just a little longer with these compared to the V2's, but they are bent stronger. I think I could get more out of them with a different shaft most of the time. I'm not 100% sure I'm happy with my shaft choice. It's reliable in terms of ball flight, but I think I could get more out of them with a different shaft.

Are you think 5.0 or something totally different like a KBS 90?

Good question SW. Hawk what shaft are you thinking of that would work better for you?

Back