Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Funny, I was just reading GOLF Magazine's reviews of irons and they seem to put a large gap between these and the i20's in forgiveness. Said there were very noticeable losses in distance on mishits... ???

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

In all fairness, they are different style of irons though and aimed at a different style golfer.

In all fairness, they are different style of irons though and aimed at a different style golfer.

Do you really think so though? Both offer similar lines/offset/grooved real estate. In fact, the 588's might be a hair bigger overall (minus sole thickness). Both offer a full cavity and shouldn't be too forgiving on mishits. What style of golfer would bag 588's and not i20's, and vice versa? I am genuinely curious and would love your thoughts.

Do you really think so though? Both offer similar lines/offset/grooved real estate. In fact, the 588's might be a hair bigger overall (minus sole thickness). Both offer a full cavity and shouldn't be too forgiving on mishits. What style of golfer would bag 588's and not i20's, and vice versa? I am genuinely curious and would love your thoughts.

I agree. I found their "findings" interesting. I find them to be greatly similar. I usually take GOLF mag. more seriously than GD though and this caught my eye.

I agree. I found their "findings" interesting. I find them to be greatly similar. I usually take GOLF mag. more seriously than GD though and this caught my eye.

I think these get labelled as "more demanding" simply because they're forged. Golf publications push marketing stereotypes worse than anyone because that's how thy make money.

I have no hit the 588's myself, so I can't base it on hitting them.

From just looking at the two at address, they just look different to me. Slightly more offset on the i20's and not sure if it's the finish or not, they appear to have a larger top line, though I don't know the exact measurements on that.

I just always thought of the i line as sort of a AP2, JPX Pro fighter, where the CBs are well, CBs. Lighter, little bit more in your face help, with the noticeable weight, etc. in the i20's. The CB's just seem to be more aimed at the guy looking for the "traditional" look.

Understand they have similar specs, etc. Just different market IMO when looking at other clubs in the market.

That makes complete sense. I appreciate the answer my man. I think the worst thing is having S300s as stock options. I hope you get a chance to try these. I think you'll be surprised.

I'm still torn between full CB or combo, but I have decided on KBS Tour S+ in vibrant golf indigo for the color!

Fwiw Colt, I would have combo'd it up in a hot second had I had the chance.

Fwiw Colt, I would have combo'd it up in a hot second had I had the chance.

7-P or 8-P? I'm thinking start at 8. 8 is my "can't hit it wrong" club.

One has to ask themselves, why? Why would you choose a combo set? Are you unable to work the ball with the CB? Even lower ball flight? What is the reason other than to "have blades" does one choose to have the combo set?

7-P or 8-P? I'm thinking start at 8. 8 is my "can't hit it wrong" club.

I would keep my 7iron as the CB personally. I would got 8-PW in the MB's. But that's just me. I like have a little room in my mid irons

One has to ask themselves, why? Why would you choose a combo set? Are you unable to work the ball with the CB? Even lower ball flight? What is the reason other than to "have blades" does one choose to have the combo set?

Personally, I would want them just to try them out. I'm damn confident with scoring irons. I guess I could ask why someone wants Scor wedges when there are other wedges on the market that offer far more forgiveness. To me its simple, versatility.

Personally, I would want them just to try them out. I'm damn confident with scoring irons. I guess I could ask why someone wants Scor wedges when there are other wedges on the market that offer far more forgiveness. To me its simple, versatility.

To try them I understand. Also as a 1 handicap, its a different scenario. Im genuinely curious what one can do with the MBs that they cannot do with the CBs in terms of performance.

To try them I understand. Also as a 1 handicap, its a different scenario. Im genuinely curious what one can do with the MBs that they cannot do with the CBs in terms of performance.

I really have no idea dude. I have never owned a combo set or a set of MB's in my life. The only ones I've ever hit are 6irons (at demo day and stuff). I just know that if I had the option I would've gone that route. I just see it like a slightly larger scale version of the SCOR system, which I believe in. You also know that I don't ever try to work a ball left or right but I do enjoy bringing balls in higher or lower. I can do that quite easily with the CB's for sure.

I think you're asking good questions and I'm sure Colt's asking those to himself.

I'm asking the same things your saying, JB. The 588's are truly just a extraneous purchase that I'm making just because I love the set. I like the way they look, feel, and as I've said in here I feel like the CB's play sooo much like the i20's. Which is why I do question the combo set. Really the reason for the combo set is that since I have my i20's anyway and they aren't going anywhere I'd just like to try the MB's out in the scoring irons and see what my game is like with them. Either I'll be surprised or disappointed. If I am disappointed then it's no biggie. I order three more CB's and stick with the full set.

Work's been nuts. That's fine. But having a bum leg sucks. I couldn't help it, I decided to stop during my lunch break and test it out. Actually, I just wanted to hit these irons again, plus see how my leg stood up to the golf swing. I must say, I'm glad I stopped. I didn't feel any discomfort and better yet, I don't feel any now. I must say that I sure as hell enjoyed hitting these today. There's something about the sound of these at impact that's super infectious. Very different compared to anything I've hit in the past couple of years for sure.

I'm really excited about having these irons in my bag. They are an extension of my swing and my personality on the golf course. I take a lot of pride in my golf game with my iron play and these really reward my hard work. I find that they pack a mean punch into the golf ball and that too is addictive as hell.

All in all, I'm glad I stopped to hit some balls, even if it was just a small bucket. Cleveland sure has a winner on their hands with these irons. I hope more folks get the chance to give them a whirl.

Good to hear TC!

That makes complete sense. I appreciate the answer my man. I think the worst thing is having S300s as stock options. I hope you get a chance to try these. I think you'll be surprised.

No problem at all. I guess my view point is more the marketing as opposed to what the real world usage experience is. Hoping to hit them myself soon. Golf Town didn't have any righties in stock last week when I was there, so we'll see this week.

You guys with the for the MC keep bragging them up, want to give them a hit.

We got the 7 iron on the lie board tonight and it ended up needing to be 1.5° flat. The loft was dead on to what I'd ordered, so that's cool! I left the and the wedges there, all to be checked and adjusted as needed. Very excited about that.

Work's been nuts. That's fine. But having a bum leg sucks. I couldn't help it, I decided to stop during my lunch break and test it out. Actually, I just wanted to hit these irons again, plus see how my leg stood up to the golf swing. I must say, I'm glad I stopped. I didn't feel any discomfort and better yet, I don't feel any now. I must say that I sure as hell enjoyed hitting these today. There's something about the sound of these at impact that's super infectious. Very different compared to anything I've hit in the past couple of years for sure.

I'm really excited about having these irons in my bag. They are an extension of my swing and my personality on the golf course. I take a lot of pride in my golf game with my iron play and these really reward my hard work. I find that they pack a mean punch into the golf ball and that too is addictive as hell.

All in all, I'm glad I stopped to hit some balls, even if it was just a small bucket. Cleveland sure has a winner on their hands with these irons. I hope more folks get the chance to give them a whirl.

Glad to hear you got to crush these bad boys today pain free man! Good news!

Oh, and he thinks I made an ok choice in shafts. Maybe not getting all I can out of them, but he feels they aren't hurting me while I try to regain back the speed that I had.

Oh, and he thinks I made an ok choice in shafts. Maybe not getting all I can out of them, but he feels they aren't hurting me while I try to regain back the speed that I had.

That is always a positive. As long as things aren't working against you, they could help.

Those are some sweet looking clubs! I might have to sale my srixon irons and get a pair of these.

Did he say what shafts would have been better?

Holy crap Hawk 1.5* down huh? That would certainly help take that heel out of play a bit for you. I suspect you'll see a tightening of your shot dispersion as well. I think having the lie angles all adjusted you're going to start seeing a lot more consistent shots in the sweet spot, thus you're going to see those shafts start coming to life for you.

Also, pretty nice to hear that the lofts are spot on.

It was pretty cool to see the mark moving towards the center of the sole. Dude, there is a golf ball size dark spot right on the heel side of my 7iron. It's pretty funny to look at. I've been scared to commit for some reason, but it's been this way since really early in the year. I'm especially excited about the wedges because he thinks I might help the occasional extreme heel shot on those as well.

Back