Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

How would you compare the elevation you get between the FL (17*) vs. the Black (16*) and also the distance ? Thanks.

The trajectory is actually higher consistently (for me) with the CG 16* versus the FL 17*. But it is not a "balloon" high. Generally, easier to hit a baby draw with the CG (easier to hit period). Distance goes to the CG as well but not by a lot -- maybe 5 yards on equal hits for me.

In a way, it does make sense that the Blacks trajectory is higher because the R flex's International Flex Code is the A flex of the "non- Black line" Miyazaki shafts. Thanks

what's that?! can we open it?! what is it?! is it for me?! can i has it?! i better sniff it...

7175917344_59377c0815_z.jpg

Awesome pic! dog is ready to tear open that box.

Yesterday's round was designated to the Black 3wood. I hit it exclusively off the tee, but not the turf, that's the Mashie's territory. I hit it quite well. Hit a slew of FIR's and got quite accustomed to the slight right to left ball flight it produced for me. I just don't think it's much longer, if at all, than the F3. It sounds great, and it looks great, and it's fairly easy to hit. I kind of wish I had gone with the 72S Kusala Black as opposed to the 61S though. I typically like my FW's a little on the heavier side.

I think it's a bit more forgiving than the FL. I don't know why for sure, but things just seemed to be much more minimal with this club. Minimal cut, minimal off line, etc. It was windy yesterday and holes playing into the wind weren't too fun with this club as it tends to get them up there for me.

Mind if I ask how many FIR you hit with the Black? 4/6, 5/8, etc? How does that compare with your previous 3W off the tee?

Yesterday's round was designated to the Black 3wood. I hit it exclusively off the tee, but not the turf, that's the Mashie's territory. I hit it quite well. Hit a slew of FIR's and got quite accustomed to the slight right to left ball flight it produced for me. I just don't think it's much longer, if at all, than the F3. It sounds great, and it looks great, and it's fairly easy to hit. I kind of wish I had gone with the 72S Kusala Black as opposed to the 61S though. I typically like my FW's a little on the heavier side.

I think it's a bit more forgiving than the FL. I don't know why for sure, but things just seemed to be much more minimal with this club. Minimal cut, minimal off line, etc. It was windy yesterday and holes playing into the wind weren't too fun with this club as it tends to get them up there for me.

All that being said, do you start to 2nd guess going with 2 3w's?

Interesting thoughts. So you have the Black 3W and the Mashie 3W both at 15*? Different shafts. Is the Black's shaft longer? And you reckon the Mashie is longer off the tee?

All that being said, do you start to 2nd guess going with 2 3w's?

No, not at all. I mean, I have to have 14 clubs. I don't need more wedges, I don't need more irons than the 5-PW, so it was only logical to get two 3woods. I just assumed that this would be superior in the length department over the F3, and it just isn't for me.

Interesting thoughts. So you have the Black 3W and the Mashie 3W both at 15*? Different shafts. Is the Black's shaft longer? And you reckon the Mashie is longer off the tee?

The F3 is 15.5* and the Black is 16*. The Black is stock at 43.5'', although I ordered mine at 43'', b/c that's the length I like my 3woods.

I think the F3 is longer for me Kmac. It just feels more powerful through the ball.

No, not at all. I mean, I have to have 14 clubs. I don't need more wedges, I don't need more irons than the 5-PW, so it was only logical to get two 3woods. I just assumed that this would be superior in the length department over the F3, and it just isn't for me.

good points my friend.

good points my friend.

Well deano, I've been playing a 12 club bag for what seems like forever. I can get by just fine with that. I'm still excited about the prospect of having two 3woods, I just didn't expect the F3 to be so freaking awesome. I'll continue to get some reps in with the Black though. I love the way it looks, sounds and feels dude. It's addictive hitting it.

Well deano, I've been playing a 12 club bag for what seems like forever. I can get by just fine with that. I'm still excited about the prospect of having two 3woods, I just didn't expect the F3 to be so freaking awesome. I'll continue to get some reps in with the Black though. I love the way it looks, sounds and feels dude. It's addictive hitting it.

Yup, I could easily play a sub 14 club bag with no deal. I think it will work out for you. The black is a badass looking stick. Throw a Kusala Black shaft in it and it's unreal.

Yup, I could easily play a sub 14 club bag with no deal. I think it will work out for you. The black is a badass looking stick. Throw a Kusala Black shaft in it and it's unreal.

I'll let you hit it in Myrtle..........................doh! Stupid lefties.

I'll let you hit it in Myrtle..........................doh! Stupid lefties.

Just throw some tape on it, I'm good haha

TC to be honest you hit that FL about as well as anyone I've ever seen hit a club, so it is not shocking that the Black didn't blow you away. That being said it was your first round out with pretty much correct?

TC to be honest you hit that FL about as well as anyone I've ever seen hit a club, so it is not shocking that the Black didn't blow you away. That being said it was your first round out with pretty much correct?

It was. It was the first time I hit it. Just pulled it out on #1 and whacked it. I wanted to designate some time to the Mashie's first.

got the chance to use this off the tee twice yesterday and loved it for both shots. hit nice high fades that both went exactly where i needed them to go.
i love the look and feel of the club and it makes a few nice, high pitched, and quick *thwack* when you make good contact with the ball.

It's hard to tops the look of this fairway wood.

Sounds like a little more backspin with this club than the Mashie, TC? That can be a killer in the wind.

only had the opportunity to pull this out once last night and i did not capitalize. had a chance to probably almost reach the green in two on a nice par 5, but my swing did not cooperate and i hit a skimmer off to the left. saved par though :p
we just need more time together, that's all...

only had the opportunity to pull this out once last night and i did not capitalize. had a chance to probably almost reach the green in two on a nice par 5, but my swing did not cooperate and i hit a skimmer off to the left. saved par though :p
we just need more time together, that's all...
Spend time with and it will reward you :D

Spend time with and it will reward you :D

absolutely biggsy...
last nights' round went well, only using the CG Black 3w from the tee (see post in MC2 Prep thread, too lazy to link).
but per my last post, i did have just 1 chance to hit this "off-the-deck", which was really a good lie in fresh cut rough....and i DID capitalize on the opportunity.
we're getting there. the more i hit it, the more i like it.

played less than stellar yesterday at some dirt-track, but i did have the chance to hit my 3w at least 4 or 5 times.
i was very pleased with how i hit it each time. an effortless swing resulted in a dead straight to a slight fade ball flight. distance was good and i even threw one up on the green from around 220.
going out soon to put in more work today.

Spent some quality time with my Black 3wood yesterday on the range. I still haven't tried hitting it from the deck. I don't really need to. I'm getting more and more comfortable with it and it's getting more and more predictable. I find myself looking for excuses to hit it off the tee lately. I feel as though it's a little more forgiving than the FL, as in my ball flight is much straighter and my dispersion seems to be much tighter. I am enjoying the Kusala Black I opted to go with but wonder if I may have been better going with the 72 series as opposed to the 61. Although I like that I can just "Luke Donald" it. That's my term for putting that smooth swing on the ball. I think it sounds similar to the FL so if you liked the way it sounds at impact, this would be a great progression.

Spent some quality time with my Black 3wood yesterday on the range. I still haven't tried hitting it from the deck. I don't really need to. I'm getting more and more comfortable with it and it's getting more and more predictable. I find myself looking for excuses to hit it off the tee lately. I feel as though it's a little more forgiving than the FL, as in my ball flight is much straighter and my dispersion seems to be much tighter. I am enjoying the Kusala Black I opted to go with but wonder if I may have been better going with the 72 series as opposed to the 61. Although I like that I can just "Luke Donald" it. That's my term for putting that smooth swing on the ball. I think it sounds similar to the FL so if you liked the way it sounds at impact, this would be a great progression.

It's definitely got some forgiveness. Do you love the way that thing looks or what? The black on black has to be great in person. Chewie hits the hell out of his. He's awesome with his CG Black woods. You two make me want one of the three woods with something like the 43S shaft.

Back