Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

Screw the rocketballz, I'm getting this instead haha

once off the tee and once off the deck last night and the CG Black 3W did not disappoint.
it was probably against my better judgement, but i went ahead and trusted this club anyway and hit it off the deck on a slightly downhill lie.
went fairway to fairway, which put me about 30 out and my approach hit the pin for a nice tap in birdie.

So the Black fairway made a fibber out of me today, in a good way. Initially I had planned on using it only from the tee. Well today I put myself in jail off the tee and had a great lie from the left rough, ball was sitting up almost as if it was on a tee. Now I had tinkered with hitting the Black off the deck at the outing but those were just for kicks and not when it mattered, today was different.

I had 237 to a back pin, unleashed the fury of this fairway wood paired with the Kusala Blue shaft and nailed the green just like I planned. Later in the round I had a similar distance so I tried it again, same result. Rather excited that I've got that in my bag now.

Used it twice off the tee on some tight par 4's where driver isn't the smartest option since the fairway bottlenecks. Both times were gentle fades and exactly where I needed to be. To say I am happy with this club would be an understatement. For me to have a 3 wood in my bag that I can put out there a good distance off the tee and hit consistently from the fairway or light rough is a revolution in my game.

Just catching up on the thread, nice going Danny, sounds like you have a formidable new weapon in the bag. Congrats on the new use of an old friend.

this club/shaft combo is amazing! i can do whatever i want with this club, whenever i want, and it is very rewarding. this thing is so easy to hit it's ridiculous.
i dropped my hybrid just so that i could carry the CG Black 3W along side my RBZ 3W and someone asked me why tonight....i wasn't hitting the hybrid all that well and not all that much. i've been striping my 4 iron a good 190-200 and the CG Black will go 200-220, so i don't leave a gap. i rip the RBZ, maybe 5-10 yards less than my driver, so i like to keep it in the bag as a driver backup and it works well on a few holes at my home course. the CG Black, as i eluded to earlier, is so workable it's stupid and has been great for me off the deck.
so happy with this club/shaft setup. can't wait to get that Classic driver in and find out that it's just as good...if not better.

Yesterday was an interesting day when I had my driver in hand so at each tee I took the chance to swing the Black 3 wood as well for some on course practice. This was the specific reason I selected the Black for my 3 wood, to use off the tee. Surprisingly I have had incredible results with it off the deck, especially out of the light bermuda rough. Off the tee is no different, rewarding choice that judging from yesterday is not costing me much distance and is very consistent.

I like to fade the ball as I'm comfortable with that swing but I tried to hit a few draws yesterday with some success. I had two get away from me to the left but nothing major to worry about as I was trying out things I don't normally do. Distance wise I can only offer the GPS readings on the cart but I don't trust those, averaged 236 according to that. I think that's a little longer than reality since I'm kinda banged up at the moment. I'm hoping to get on the launch monitor maybe tomorrow to get some better numbers.

Loving how the ball jumps off the face, such a great feel and a nice crisp sound. I'm seeing a perfect mid flight with the Miyazaki Blue shaft, gets the ball up quickly without going sky high. The shaft feels very stable and I feel like I can swing strong without overloading it to a detrimental effect.

Is this basically a little more forgiving than the FL while the FL is a bit longer?

Is this basically a little more forgiving than the FL while the FL is a bit longer?

I think it is more forgiving than the FL and I think it is as long and perhaps longer for me.

I think it is more forgiving than the FL and I think it is as long and perhaps longer for me.

Longest fairway wood I have ever hit, easily. More forgiving than the FL, I don't seem to get the high and rights with the black like I do with the FL. Unfortunately, for the life of me I can not hit it off the deck, tee only for this one for me.

Longest fairway wood I have ever hit, easily. More forgiving than the FL, I don't seem to get the high and rights with the black like I do with the FL. Unfortunately, for the life of me I can not hit it off the deck, tee only for this one for me.

That is my thoughts exactly. I wouldn't even try to hit this thing off the deck. Just no idea where it would go. Off the tee though, this thing is a beast!

Seems to be little than the FL for me, I found the FL to be plenty forgiving. The Black to me is a nice evolution of the FL.

--
Tapatalk2

Seems to be little than the FL for me, I found the FL to be plenty forgiving. The Black to me is a nice evolution of the FL.

--
Tapatalk2
Agreed, it has evolved nicely. Almost makes me want to throw my 17* FL in the bag again.

Agreed, it has evolved nicely. Almost makes me want to throw my 17* FL in the bag again.

Loved that club, its the one that made me realize that a 17* club can be way better for me than the standard 15*.

--
Tapatalk2

Loved that club, its the one that made me realize that a 17* club can be way better for me than the standard 15*.

--
Tapatalk2
Same here, and I still hit it so well. May drop the RBZ 3h for it here in a few minutes...it's nice having options in the garage!

I had never gamed a 17* FW before the FL, and it instantly became a favorite of mine.

Same here, and I still hit it so well. May drop the RBZ 3h for it here in a few minutes...it's nice having options in the garage!

I had never gamed a 17* FW before the FL, and it instantly became a favorite of mine.

Lol, I miss having a garage to keep options in.

I had a white 4 wood that I thought was the greatest thing ever, then the black came and I dropped it like a bad habit.

If my knee is not killing me in the morning I may go play and just use it off the tee.

--
Tapatalk2

well i finally topped this club from the fairway on saturday. :doh:
tried to smash it and lifted right up out of my swing. other than that though, this club has been great from the fairway.

then on sunday, i sliced it all three times i hit it (once from the tee and twice off the short grass). didn't hurt me at all, but i was very surprised as that is the first time i've done that since the club went in the bag. it was very odd. just get them hands to turn is all...

The Black 3 wood continues to be a stellar performer for me both off the tee and off the deck. Form the tee I found it to be incredibly straight and longer than any other 3 wood I've ever swung. With the added weight lowering the CoG and creating a little draw bias in the head I'm seeing a piercing yet high ball flight which produces some mean carry over my previous fairway wood. What has shocked me the most if how effective I am with it from the deck and out of the rough. This is a shot I didn't plan on using this club for initially but I've got to go with results on this. From the fairway it gives me a little lower ball flight that does not have much lateral movement, now I'll be honest I can slice one off the planet with any club but I find that to happen less and less since I put the Black in the bag. Out of the rough this club is a rocket launcher, anytime I walk up to a ball and see it's sitting up just a little bit I do not hesitate to pull this club. I like having that option.

Paired with the Miyazaki Blue shaft I get a nice firm feeling shaft that I can feel working through the swing. Something that is especially nice about the feel of the Blue is you can feel it unloading the stored power into the ball at impact, I'm sure there is a technical word for that but I don't know, whatever it is I like that feeling.

Quick video below I made yesterday, second shot on a par 5. Tee shot drifted a little right in the wind and set me up perfectly to use the Black, 230-240 ish from memory to an uphill green. Blistered the ball a little to much :)

Great shot SW! I agree with you about this club dude, it's winning me over in a big way. I still haven't hit it off the deck. Perhaps I should. It's my go-to off the tee though, especially if I need a ball in the fairway or if it's not a long hole.

I need to start using it more often off the tee in more situations but I'm just stuck in this hit driver mode for whatever reason. On shorter par 4's it's a lethal weapon.

Great stuff, SW! Nice swing too. Are you using the stock shaft in your 3W? I'm awaiting my CG Black Driver delivery (got fitted and ordered it and CG16 Black Pearl Irons on Thursday), and I'm seriously pondering the 3W (or maybe 5W). I've been having problems hitting 3 and 5Ws off the deck for 3-4 years, the RBZ 3H has been helpful in giving me the distance I got from the rare good 5W shot off the deck.

Great stuff, SW! Nice swing too. Are you using the stock shaft in your 3W? I'm awaiting my CG Black Driver delivery (got fitted and ordered it and CG16 Black Pearl Irons on Thursday), and I'm seriously pondering the 3W (or maybe 5W). I've been having problems hitting 3 and 5Ws off the deck for 3-4 years, the RBZ 3H has been helpful in giving me the distance I got from the rare good 5W shot off the deck.

He has the Kusala Blue series shaft in his 3wood.

It occurred to me this morning as I was looking over my notes from yesterdays round that I don't use this club enough off the tee on shorter par 4's. From the tee's I was playing yesterday there were 3 par 4's right around sub 350 yards and I only used the Black 3W once off the tee. A little bit of that is my confidence in hitting driver from the tee and some is poor choices in terms of how to play a hole. Those thoughts are for another thread though.

What I'm liking about this fairway wood is how similar it plays to my driver, ample forgiveness and a clean look. Caught one out towards the toe yesterday and while it was a little shorter than I would've liked I was impressed how straight the ball went, normally I would have expected it to leak off to the right and flirt with some bunkers or the water hazard, thankfully that wasn't the case. Courses down here aren't the tightest in the world due to geography but when you miss a fairway the bermuda rough can gobble a ball right up, this is where the design of the Black comes in very handy. The draw bias keeps me in play more often than most other fairway woods I've used in the past.

Yeah, you might want to be considering it a bit more off of those par 4's, but you mentioned in another thread that that simply isn't your style. Which if fine buddy. I think there's a whole lot of right with this 3wood. It's definitely becomming one of my favorite 3metals of all time. It's got sex appeal, it's easy to hit, it sounds good and it can provide some ridiculously long shots. I can still put a little right to left movement on mine, even with the draw biased to it, but it's very controlled, which is sweet. I find myself hitting it more and more to be honest with you.

The only think I would change about the club is some sort of alignment aid. I just prefer them.

Back