Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

Sounds like you need to off that RBZ and get it out of your mind Tyler. The Black is a beast and plays at a true 16* of loft, LOL. Those RBZ's are jacked up cheater sticks.

lol. i need about 1 or 2 more battles with it to put me at ease about the decision, but i think my mind is already made up.
one thing for sure though, baby on the way....one of them has got to go!

lol. i need about 1 or 2 more battles with it to put me at ease about the decision, but i think my mind is already made up.
one thing for sure though, baby on the way....one of them has got to go!

Yeah! Good thinking. Or you could shelf one for the baby when it grows up. Do you hit your Black 3wood off the deck a lot?

I was all over the toe for some reason and it was low ugliness. To be fair, I suck.

That's hogwash dude. You could hit this club, and love it if you gave it a few more swings. That light weight design would get you some extra yardage too...maybe.

This 3wood is in my bag, the F3 is not. Nuff said! LOL

I hit the piss out of this thing yesterday. I still haven't hit it off the deck. I have an F5 for that I reckon. But off the tee, I just love it. I know it's going to cut, but barely. I know I won't hit it right, ever.

I wish you would try and pund this off the deck just once. Even at the range. Heck, I'll let you do it with mine at the NC Tour Van Stop. I have hit mine right one time. It was a dead pull that went for days and wound up in another fairway, but, it was still a rocket.

Thanks Yorkem, but I don't need to hit it off the deck dude. I just don't ever really go for Par 5's like that and the only time I will is if I'm within F5 range.

Thanks Yorkem, but I don't need to hit it off the deck dude. I just don't ever really go for Par 5's like that and the only time I will is if I'm within F5 range.

I'd just like to see you do it. Nice long bubba cut.

I'd just like to see you do it. Nice long bubba cut.

I'd be willing to bet you ****** that that's what you'd see too, ha!

agree with this too...and why no CG Black hybrids? with a line catered to seniors, and in this hybrid day-in-age, that seemed odd to me.
not to say i don't like the Mashies, and their success is probably the answer to my question, but i dunno...just thought it would have been nice to see a hybrid from this line since i enjoy the 3W so much.

That's an interesting question. I reckon the mashie hybrids just work so well with a wide range of golfers it didn't make fiscal sense to have two lines. I don't know though, maybe JB can track down an answer for us.

Man, my local shop here sells the crap out of the Black stuff. But you know the golfers around here, it's like Ole Gray's everywhere.

Did you own or hit the FL previous to this club?

Lmao at Ole Gray golfers :cobra: j/k Gray!

I didn't own the FL but I had one for an extended demo. I thought it was one of the best fairways I ever swung, but yeah the black waves at it as it goes by. The first time I hit a Black fairway I thought "wow, they took everything I liked about the FL and amped it up a bit." Little more forgiveness across the face, easier to turn over without hooking, and in my eyes a little better looking at address.

Yeah! Good thinking. Or you could shelf one for the baby when it grows up. Do you hit your Black 3wood off the deck a lot?

missed this earlier...
to answer your question - when there's room i do. and if i have a decent lie out of the rough, i'll go after it.
like one of Par 5's on my home course...no reason not to hit it, ever.
the good thing is, that it will go straight or with a slight draw, so i can always rely on it.
but...like you, the Mashies are all i really need for 2nd shots on Par 5's. they are consistent enough to put me under or around 100, no matter what, and i can score from there...so that's just smarter golf.

Thanks Tyler. I guess what I'm trying to get at is this: even though you don't hit the Black out of the fairway much, you can and you know what it's going to do. Can you say the same for the white headed cheater stick?

Thanks Tyler. I guess what I'm trying to get at is this: even though you don't hit the Black out of the fairway much, you can and you know what it's going to do. Can you say the same for the white headed cheater stick?

and there's where the decision becomes easier...because no, i can't.
all i know with the RBZ is that when i do catch it clean, it's murdered.

2 other factors in my decision....
1. the CG has a sleeker, smaller face...which i like in the 3wood off the deck. the RBZ has a larger face and sometimes can feel too big for a 3wood off the deck.
2. Miyazaki Kusala Blue 72 - need i say any more?

So I think I had my first real "good" day with this club. I just fell in love all over again. Was getting 250 off the tee which is farther than I have hit a 3 wood before let alone being dead straight all day.

So I think I had my first real "good" day with this club. I just fell in love all over again. Was getting 250 off the tee which is farther than I have hit a 3 wood before let alone being dead straight all day.

It's a long 3wood for sure dude. Glad you had some new found success with it. Are you rocking the stock shaft?

TC, interesting that you are cranking this that much better than the F3. With the flash sale at budget golf, I'm in ponder mode, though I imagine I'll need a shaft upgrade. Can never have too many 3 woods! :blob:

TC, interesting that you are cranking this that much better than the F3. With the flash sale at budget golf, I'm in ponder mode, though I imagine I'll need a shaft upgrade. Can never have too many 3 woods! :blob:

I like this one so much more that I sent my F3 to Canada, LOL

TC, which shaft do you have in yours?

Lol. You have a kusala black in yours right?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

TC, which shaft do you have in yours?

Lol. You have a kusala black in yours right?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I have the Kusala Black in mine. The 61S. I love it. Paired with the 16* head, it's a thing of beauty.

Yeah, I have the Kusala Black in mine. The 61S. I love it. Paired with the 16* head, it's a thing of beauty.

The urge to OEM this one is strong. Think I should give the F3 more time though.

That speaks volumes. Hit it well today.

The urge to OEM this one is strong. Think I should give the F3 more time though.

I think that is smart. To me, they are pretty different clubs. It almost annoyed me how much success I have with the F5, yet didn't with the F3. The Black is a more traditional 3wood. A little larger clubhead and a little more club face from heel to toe. I imagine the F3 is superior off the turf but then again, I haven't hit the Black off the turf yet either. I just saw inconsistency off the tee with the F3. I was either perfect, or I pulled the ball. With the Black I know it's going to be a soft, buttery cut. Every time. It's more dependable for me.

That speaks volumes. Hit it well today.

Tomorrow buddy! And I plan on it. I cannot wait to play the course I'm playing tomorrow. It's a hidden gem and a great RTJ layout nestled in the nothingness of East Tenn.

May I swing it on the range (off a tee) next weekend. Just want to see the difference in shaft feel from the stock. Maybe I will have to make a switch.

Nice. Yeah. Love the F5. Been a rocky start with the F3 but I honestly haven't given it enough time as I default to the F5 as a general rule. That's awesome that you've found something that consistent for you.

Tomorrow buddy! And I plan on it. I cannot wait to play the course I'm playing tomorrow. It's a hidden gem and a great RTJ layout nestled in the nothingness of East Tenn.

Jealousy is not strong enough to convey my emotional state right now. Tomorrow I am playing a tight little track nestled amongst old pines and giant gators, don't reckon I'll be using driver much lol.

I think that is smart. To me, they are pretty different clubs. It almost annoyed me how much success I have with the F5, yet didn't with the F3. The Black is a more traditional 3wood. A little larger clubhead and a little more club face from heel to toe. I imagine the F3 is superior off the turf but then again, I haven't hit the Black off the turf yet either. I just saw inconsistency off the tee with the F3. I was either perfect, or I pulled the ball. With the Black I know it's going to be a soft, buttery cut. Every time. It's more dependable for me.
I am putting the FL in the bag for Sunday, I have been having some misses with the F3 the past few rounds and have actually been going with the F5 off the tee rather than the F3 when called for because I know that I am not going to miss with the F5 as I would with the F3.

Plus, I miss the FL, such a good 3w. I need the Black.

Back