Cleveland CG Black Fairway Wood - THP Review

Lol at top city, trust me I can top a ball like nobody you've ever seen, just ask around for stories. Like you I have a hard time taking less than driver off the tee but as I've started looking at my game closer the past few months I see places where it would behoove me to be 100-115 yards out vs being 60-80. Now once I get that thought through my thick skull and stop hitting driver on everything but a par 3 I think my scores will drop as a result. Biggsy gave me some good advice in that regard on Saturday, hopefully it sticks!

there is a lot of truth to that. But those swings are out of your system now

Lol at top city, trust me I can top a ball like nobody you've ever seen, just ask around for stories. Like you I have a hard time taking less than driver off the tee but as I've started looking at my game closer the past few months I see places where it would behoove me to be 100-115 yards out vs being 60-80. Now once I get that thought through my thick skull and stop hitting driver on everything but a par 3 I think my scores will drop as a result. Biggsy gave me some good advice in that regard on Saturday, hopefully it sticks!

haha. i actually do the opposite so that i can work harder on my game from 75 and in...even though i'm money from 100 out.
but i think my home course has a good mix of holes to let me practice all that stuff. plenty leave me with less than 75, some with 100 on the dot, and 2 holes that require 3 wood to possibly hybrid off the tee, no question.

This club was a giant difference maker in my bag today, I already knew that I enjoyed swinging but it was special today. I was able to use it several times off the, which is a little different for me than normal. Typically I may hit 3 wood off the 1-3 times a round max, I think I hit this one 6 times off the tee today. The rough was silly penal today so positioning yourself was paramount, adding to that the designer placed hazards and tightened the fairways in the areas your driver would reach.

I was able to pretty much move the ball today with the black where I wanted but my stock shot was an easy fade. I did miss it twice, hence why my handicap is what it is. They weren't bad misses, just in places I didn't want to be, one was a fade when I wanted it to be straight to give me a good look into the green. A high fade put me in the fairway but behind a mound so I couldn't see the green. On a short par 4, 350 if I remember correct I got a terrible kick off the fairway and that put me in the right rough, not killer but not what I needed.

What I do find enjoyable about the black vs other 3 woods I've played is how it doesn't kill me too bad on misses. My miss with a fairway wood is a little out on the toe, even those I can't count on being pretty close to my intended yardage. I used to hate 3 woods off the tee, but now I find myself using it more often and with more confidence in the result. Never before would I have taken 3 wood off the tee on a par 5, today I did it twice, both times I found the middle of the fairway and exactly on my intended line.

This club was a giant difference maker in my bag today, I already knew that I enjoyed swinging but it was special today. I was able to use it several times off the, which is a little different for me than normal. Typically I may hit 3 wood off the 1-3 times a round max, I think I hit this one 6 times off the tee today. The rough was silly penal today so positioning yourself was paramount, adding to that the designer placed hazards and tightened the fairways in the areas your driver would reach.

I was able to pretty much move the ball today with the black where I wanted but my stock shot was an easy fade. I did miss it twice, hence why my handicap is what it is. They weren't bad misses, just in places I didn't want to be, one was a fade when I wanted it to be straight to give me a good look into the green. A high fade put me in the fairway but behind a mound so I couldn't see the green. On a short par 4, 350 if I remember correct I got a terrible kick off the fairway and that put me in the right rough, not killer but not what I needed.

What I do find enjoyable about the black vs other 3 woods I've played is how it doesn't kill me too bad on misses. My miss with a fairway wood is a little out on the toe, even those I can't count on being pretty close to my intended yardage. I used to hate 3 woods off the tee, but now I find myself using it more often and with more confidence in the result. Never before would I have taken 3 wood off the tee on a par 5, today I did it twice, both times I found the middle of the fairway and exactly on my intended line.

great to read this Danny. I love this club. There is no doubt I will be putting a g-15 3w up for sale soon and it is simply because of how awesome this club is

Thought I would bring this thread back to the top after it convinced me I should seriously start looking at 3 wood off the tee as more a viable option. For whatever reason I can't rationalize it to myself that I don't need to hit driver on every par 4 that's somewhat straightish or every par 5 for that matter. I was just watching a hole of the day video that we shot during the afternoon round and it hit me like a ton of bricks that I hit the Black 3W so well off the tee I was stupid to not use it on that hole as well. I used it several times over the 36 holes we played and thee wasn't one time it put me in trouble or out of the fairway for that matter. Heck I used it on the first hole and without any time on the range before the round and it being my first time playing in 3 weeks I put a good swing together and hit a nice little piercing draw right down the center leaving me a easy shot into the green. This repeated itself over and over again through both rounds, I was struggling with making solid contact with driver, hitting everything in on the heel. However I was always striking the 3 wood great, that is a little confusing but I digress. I also had a few goes some par 5's by hitting this one off the deck and out of the light rough when the ball wasn't buried in bermuda. Time and time again it just performs so well for me, better than any 3 wood I've ever tried period. I wonder sometimes about the Kusala Blue shaft and if I might pick up a little bit with a higher launching shaft but honestly I have zero complaints about the results I see.

I love this club too and while there is a lot of F3 love going on right now, I find this 3W easier to hit and just as long if not longer.

I love this club too and while there is a lot of F3 love going on right now, I find this 3W easier to hit and just as long if not longer.

I agree yorkem. While I love the F5 and F7 in my bag there is just no comparison between the Black and F3 for my game.

You both should love this club. You hit it extremely well. I tried out Tyno's Black/Blue combo but couldn't get it working for me for some reason.

You both should love this club. You hit it extremely well. I tried out Tyno's Black/Blue combo but couldn't get it working for me for some reason.

Thats a bummer. Low bullets?

Thats a bummer. Low bullets?

i don't remember what he did with it, but i know it wasn't good...like 2 swings and he said NOPE. lol

i honestly had ruled this club out of the bag early, for post MC2 play. it's going up against a TM RBZ 3 wood....but honestly, the battle rages on and i underestimated the CG Blacks' chances.

I sit here at work and ask myself why I never grabbed the Black 3W? Hmm...

i don't remember what he did with it, but i know it wasn't good...like 2 swings and he said NOPE. lol

i honestly had ruled this club out of the bag early, for post MC2 play. it's going up against a TM RBZ 3 wood....but honestly, the battle rages on and i underestimated the CG Blacks' chances.

You know good guys wear black right? Haha, what's the toss up between the two for you?

War you can try mine out some more if our schedules ever link up.

I was all over the toe for some reason and it was low ugliness. To be fair, I suck.

I was all over the toe for some reason and it was low ugliness. To be fair, I suck.

Oh hogwash, chunky might suck, (hi chunky!) but you sir do not. This is the one 3 wood I've had no issues finding the center with, that gives me good vibes walking to the tee.

Honestly, I just swung it at a time during media day when I wasn't hitting anything well. It comes and goes.

I sit here at work and ask myself why I never grabbed the Black 3W? Hmm...

i kick myself every day for not hitting more of the other clubs at the MC2....and i have no excuse. dumb!

You know good guys wear black right? Haha, what's the toss up between the two for you?

but white is the new black...hehe
RBZ is 15*, CG is 16*
RBZ is driver long off the tee and very consistent
CG is consistent off the tee, Kusala Blue shaft very hard to slice, easy to hit nice draw
CG is better off fairway and from a good lie in rough
RBZ okay from fairway, not recommended from rough lie

before i got my hybrids, i actually carried both...and it wasn't too bad.

i kick myself every day for not hitting more of the other clubs at the MC2....and i have no excuse. dumb!

but white is the new black...hehe
RBZ is 15*, CG is 16*
RBZ is driver long off the tee and very consistent
CG is consistent off the tee, Kusala Blue shaft very hard to slice, easy to hit nice draw
CG is better off fairway and from a good lie in rough
RBZ okay from fairway, not recommended from rough lie

before i got my hybrids, i actually carried both...and it wasn't too bad.

That is a dilemma dude, honestly I don't have a lot of time with RBZ but I know there are a lot of people that love it for the length it offers. I just can't hit it reliably for squat.

This 3wood is in my bag, the F3 is not. Nuff said! LOL

I hit the piss out of this thing yesterday. I still haven't hit it off the deck. I have an F5 for that I reckon. But off the tee, I just love it. I know it's going to cut, but barely. I know I won't hit it right, ever.

This 3wood is in my bag, the F3 is not. Nuff said! LOL

I hit the piss out of this thing yesterday. I still haven't hit it off the deck. I have an F5 for that I reckon. But off the tee, I just love it. I know it's going to cut, but barely. I know I won't hit it right, ever.

That's truth. I don't fear the snap hook with the danged thing unlike a white club I once had. I might play up a tee Saturday and just hit 3 woods all day.

That's truth. I don't fear the snap hook with the danged thing unlike a white club I once had. I might play up a tee Saturday and just hit 3 woods all day.

I'm going to play from my regular tees and hit it anyway! I wish more people could experience this tree wood without the senior shafts in it. It's really good. I think it's much better than the FL.

I'm going to play from my regular tees and hit it anyway! I wish more people could experience this tree wood without the senior shafts in it. It's really good. I think it's much better than the FL.

Lol, I'm not a beast like you. Agreed about the shafts though, there was a ton of awesome in the black line that went to shat because of the shaft options. I get the marketing, but dang!

that's one thing i knew after a demo day with it vs. the Mashie F3.
this club could really do some damage with a heavy, stiff shaft in it...instead of the 39g i hit at the demo day! lol
looks to kill too!

also, didn't notice this until attempting to go back to the RBZ, but the grip/shaft feels a lot thicker than the CG Black and i do not like that feeling. i like a standard, thin grip. it's weird...the RBZ didn't feel that way before...but now it does.

Lol, I'm not a beast like you. Agreed about the shafts though, there was a ton of awesome in the black line that went to shat because of the shaft options. I get the marketing, but dang!

Man, my local shop here sells the crap out of the Black stuff. But you know the golfers around here, it's like Ole Gray's everywhere.

Did you own or hit the FL previous to this club?

that's one thing i knew after a demo day with it vs. the Mashie F3.
this club could really do some damage with a heavy, stiff shaft in it...instead of the 39g i hit at the demo day! lol
looks to kill too!

also, didn't notice this until attempting to go back to the RBZ, but the grip/shaft feels a lot thicker than the CG Black and i do not like that feeling. i like a standard, thin grip. it's weird...the RBZ didn't feel that way before...but now it does.

Sounds like you need to off that RBZ and get it out of your mind Tyler. The Black is a beast and plays at a true 16* of loft, LOL. Those RBZ's are jacked up cheater sticks.

agree with this too...and why no CG Black hybrids? with a line catered to seniors, and in this hybrid day-in-age, that seemed odd to me.
not to say i don't like the Mashies, and their success is probably the answer to my question, but i dunno...just thought it would have been nice to see a hybrid from this line since i enjoy the 3W so much.

Back