Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

My Cleveland Classic XL Custom with JDL5s is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I am hoping to be able to try it out tomorrow evening, but it will more than likely be Friday afternoon before I can test it out. I am really looking forward to it.

That's awesome Jamie.. Aren't you selling that driver in the marketplace though?

That's awesome Jamie.. Aren't you selling that driver in the marketplace though?

I thought the same thing, but didnt know if he just ordered another loft or something.

Super, super windy day in Ohio yesterday.. Maybe not windier than some places, but high end wind for what I am used to playing in. Surprisingly, the 9 I play doesn't really have a hole where you drive directly into the wind when it is coming from the direction I experienced yesterday, but it equated to two drives with it moving left to right, one drive with it at my back and to the left, and then one drive with it fully at my back.

I ended up hitting five drives. Both holes where the wind was blowing left to right, I managed to put a similarly good swing on the ball, notably just a shade on the toe side of the sweet spot, but stayed in the swing well and the ball took off with the wind fighting to remove any possible draw. Great drives down the pipe, with the one being measured at 291 (with roll).

The worst drive came on a shot well on the toe, this time with the wind at my back and right to left. With the ball in the jetstream, it turned into a MEAN hook, heading hard into the trees and nearly OB. Having to re-tee a provisional, this one turned out much better, a high hanging baby draw that the wind pulled forward and definitely left. No real issue there.

Finally, a crazy drive on the 9th, with the wind mostly at my back but slightly right to left. I'm kind of mad at myself for not taking a photo to better represent what I am talking about, so I'll have to use an overheard visual to give you an idea of how i hit the ball (thank you google maps).

9thHoleCrazyCarry.png

The blue dot represents where you tee off from the tees I play. The safest play is out to the left, covering as much trap as possible, leaving anywhere from 250-205 yards into the green. Another viable shot is to take a fade over the left side of the trap, which if carried, can offer a bit of a hilly 200 or so into the green.

But at my course, there are a number of long hitters that like to take it a step further and take a HUGE chunk of the hole away. Generally speaking, I don't bother with it because the range is in between the tee ball and the landing zone, leaving any short miss OB and a re-tee. Also, you need a good 15* or more of launch angle to get it over the trees, or again, you're re-teeing.

Anyways, last night I was feeling relatively confident that I'd put a small draw on the driver, and took a pretty good swing. Much of what I had been seeing previous to this hole, the ball took off high and starting working back to the left.

Long story short, I got a quality bounce on my landing (it slopes downwards from the tee on that line) and the ball rolled through the fairway, landing at a GPSed 311 from the tee. Really, really good stuff. Wind assisted confidence, and I like that!

So that was my first MAJOR wind experience. 4/5 fairways (at least that's what I'm calling it.. hitting THROUGH fairways is good too), and feeling more confident about my actual line on the ball. We'll see what the next few days bring!

Good info there. Glad it is working for you.

You're a manimal. Danimal....

Danimal. Haha, that's incredible.

I would be hoping to just reach the fairway.

you're such a beast.
but i think i can hit it higher than you now....
let's play golf together some day.

Good info there. Glad it is working for you.

When dialed in, there is no question this driver is a monster. I still think the visual improvements they made from the original Classic are outstanding.

You're a manimal. Danimal....

You are manimal.

Danimal. Haha, that's incredible.

I would be hoping to just reach the fairway.

That hole sets up gloriously for your tee game. Second hand knowledge anyways..

you're such a beast.
but i think i can hit it higher than you now....
let's play golf together some day.

I'm in!! We'll have a high ball contest!

In all seriousness, that's a hell of a shot. I couldn't do it..............yet..........

Finally hit one of these yesterday with a Matrix Ozik 6M3 stiff shaft @ 9* of loft... WOW! This thing cut through the wind. Into a 25 mph wind I was still able to get the driver out past the 260 mark.

I love the classic shape of the 460 cc head; the high gloss finish is also beautiful. All in all I'd give this club an easy 10 out of 10.

Finally got the Classic XL out on the course last night, pretty windy night but overall I feel like I hit it well.
1st hole I just crushed straight off the tee, unfortunately I was aimed right expecting my usual draw there are a line of trees guarding the left and right side of the fairway about 240 out and I hit one of those trees on the fly and the ball bounced straight backwards.

2nd hole was not a good swing at all, caught the ball on the heel, low flyer came out left and stayed left into a fairway bunker but distance was much more then I thought I would get.

3rd hole caught it off the toe was a pretty pronounced draw but ended up middle of the fairway since I was still playing the draw.

4th hole is a sharp dog leg right with OOB lining the left side of the fairway when I had my slice this hole setup perfectly for me but now that I'm hitting a draw off the tee it's awful, I decided to try to hit a fade on purpose ended up hitting the ball straight through the dogleg but luckily the long rough kept it from going OOB.

5th hole was my worst drive of the day, dogleg left, sets up pretty well for me just have to aim down the right side and the ball will draw back into the fairway right around the turn. Instead I hit a line drive hook that settled in the left rough just before the turn. Funny enough this was my only Par on the round.

6th hole was one of the best drives of the day, small dog leg left par 5 water in front of the green so you can't really go for it in two. Hit a beautiful towering draw into the middle of the fairway.

7th was almost an exact replay of the 1st hole, aimed right hit it dead straight flew really well but ended up on top of a mound in the right rough.

Friend and I turned the corner but were running out of daylight fast (course was PACKED) so we played 4 more holes on the back 9, only one I'll comment on was my best drive of the day, long par 4 420 about 75 yards from the tee box are a line of trees on the left and right side of the fairway, for some reason those trees get in my head and I almost always hit one side. Not last night, I stepped up and hit the longest drive I've ever hit on that hole, beautiful tower draw that I started just a bit too far right it moved back left but stayed in the right rough about 165 yards to the center of the green. Overall I was pleased with how the Classic XL performed, even my mishits I was getting a good bit of distance out of, I didn't hit any pull hooks and hit some very nice drives. Can't wait to continue working with this driver this year.

Finally got the Classic XL out on the course last night, pretty windy night but overall I feel like I hit it well.
1st hole I just crushed straight off the tee, unfortunately I was aimed right expecting my usual draw there are a line of trees guarding the left and right side of the fairway about 240 out and I hit one of those trees on the fly and the ball bounced straight backwards.

2nd hole was not a good swing at all, caught the ball on the heel, low flyer came out left and stayed left into a fairway bunker but distance was much more then I thought I would get.

3rd hole caught it off the toe was a pretty pronounced draw but ended up middle of the fairway since I was still playing the draw.

4th hole is a sharp dog leg right with OOB lining the left side of the fairway when I had my slice this hole setup perfectly for me but now that I'm hitting a draw off the tee it's awful, I decided to try to hit a fade on purpose ended up hitting the ball straight through the dogleg but luckily the long rough kept it from going OOB.

5th hole was my worst drive of the day, dogleg left, sets up pretty well for me just have to aim down the right side and the ball will draw back into the fairway right around the turn. Instead I hit a line drive hook that settled in the left rough just before the turn. Funny enough this was my only Par on the round.

6th hole was one of the best drives of the day, small dog leg left par 5 water in front of the green so you can't really go for it in two. Hit a beautiful towering draw into the middle of the fairway.

7th was almost an exact replay of the 1st hole, aimed right hit it dead straight flew really well but ended up on top of a mound in the right rough.

Friend and I turned the corner but were running out of daylight fast (course was PACKED) so we played 4 more holes on the back 9, only one I'll comment on was my best drive of the day, long par 4 420 about 75 yards from the tee box are a line of trees on the left and right side of the fairway, for some reason those trees get in my head and I almost always hit one side. Not last night, I stepped up and hit the longest drive I've ever hit on that hole, beautiful tower draw that I started just a bit too far right it moved back left but stayed in the right rough about 165 yards to the center of the green. Overall I was pleased with how the Classic XL performed, even my mishits I was getting a good bit of distance out of, I didn't hit any pull hooks and hit some very nice drives. Can't wait to continue working with this driver this year.

Great thoughts!! Sounds like a bit of time to get this bad boy dialed and you'll be in heaven!

Seriously looking at the Cleveland driver as my first adjustable driver. Besides getting professionally fit, how much does the adjustability help and how often do you tweak the settings? As someone who has never hit an adjustable driver I am curious.

Seriously looking at the Cleveland driver as my first adjustable driver. Besides getting professionally fit, how much does the adjustability help and how often do you tweak the settings? As someone who has never hit an adjustable driver I am curious.

I think it's all about finding a setting that works for your game and then sticking with it.. I have not had more than a couple range sessions with my Classic long enough to make adjustments, but I plan to.

Some folks love to tinker, but I'm the kind of guy who sticks with one setting. If you're a big tinkerer, really take a hard look at the Miyazaki JDL offering, as it has a spineless technology that will guarantee adjustments only change the flight, not the stiffness of the shaft.

I'm not going to lie, last time out it was a struggle with the XL.

I only hit 1 fairway when I hit it (which was I think 9 in total). My miss was a pronounced hook that started center of the fairway and just drawed really hard into the left rough. I dont know if it's the indian or the arrow, but sometimes I do feel like this club has a draw bias to it unlike the original Classic. Just the way it sets up at address. I will get some range time in today to see if sometimes up with my swing.

I'm not going to lie, last time out it was a struggle with the XL.

I only hit 1 fairway when I hit it (which was I think 9 in total). My miss was a pronounced hook that started center of the fairway and just drawed really hard into the left rough. I dont know if it's the indian or the arrow, but sometimes I do feel like this club has a draw bias to it unlike the original Classic. Just the way it sets up at address. I will get some range time in today to see if sometimes up with my swing.

You planning to make a head adjustment dude? Open that baby up!

You planning to make a head adjustment dude? Open that baby up!

It's open to +1.5 and was working really well over the weekend when I played with THPers, but it was a controllable power draw. Monday at the tournament, it was just out of control. It confused me because I hit my irons so well, so I don't know what's up.

Back