Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

There isn't really a typical miss with any wrong stiffness.

I fade a weak shaft and hook a stiff one. It depends on the swing really.

I remember trying to play a PX 6.5 at my first outing and everything was pretty much a dead pull. Dropped down a flex and things just worked.

I've played a 72 X for a year now with no issues. It can't be that.

I'm sure you'll get it worked out JT#

There's no doubt about one thing, that Black Tie X is stupid stiff (and awesome).

I do like that with the adjustability also comes the ability to try different things, pending they make the adapters available.

I'm just going to assume I was getting the club face turned over too quickly. I'll get it worked out on the range today.

Sorry to hear that JT. I have struggled with a hook as well. I definitely think it sets up closed, or at least it looks like it to me. I'm hoping to get to the range today and I'm going to set it at +2.25 so it is 1.5* lower and the face is open a good bit.

Well I went to get fitted for a driver last weekend. Went there with an open mind. Obviously I had my favoured options which were the Covert and the R1, but I wanted a driver that was going to go straight. I was therefore prepared to give every club a chance.

My drive shape is a predictable fade which is sometimes a slice... Lol. I've been using a Ping G20 with a regular flex shaft. When getting fitted for my irons I was fitted with a stiff shaft and have always thought that the regular flex was at least a contributor towards the shot shape. With my irons I tend to hit it mostly dead straight and more recently with a bit of draw.

As you will have guessed with me posting in this thread, the best option for me was the Cleveland Classic XL Custom having tried all of the newest releases. The fitter closed the face as much as possible and I believe the shaft I have been fitted for is the Matrix Ozik 6M3 Black Tie Stiff. The benefit of this shaft I was advised was the reduced torque that with my swing and other shafts was leaving the face a little open. The club is at 9 degrees.

I was hitting some great shots very consistently, both straight and with a bit of draw. Only one went wayward to the right and that one was completely me ha! Called it as soon as I hit it..

I loved the look of the club at address too and felt pretty confident looking down at it.

So now I have to be patient for another 8 days or so until it is delivered. Can't wait to get the added yards that were disappearing as a result of my previous shot shape.

Once I've had the chance to play a few rounds I'll report back with more feedback :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

So it's the Indian, not the arrow. While I still see a little too much draw bias, I was doing something really stupid in my takeaway. Got it straightened out and I'm good to go again.

Whats your normal driver shot shape JT? Did you keep it at the standard setting?

Amazing what taking .5 in off the butt end of the shaft does. Could not get a handle on this thing at 45" in. A lot of big push/push fades. Im just not comfortable with anything much over 44.75 in. Took .5 off, so it plays 44.5, which also got the SW down to my comfort range d3ish, and starting hitting dead straight bombs. Only got it on 3 holes, but went 282, 293, and 298, all gps'd and in the middle of the fairway. Now it is ready to battle the Anser for a spot in the bag...

Man, fantastic!!! Really glad to see that a simple length change was all that was needed?

Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, why are you more comfortable at that length? Are you average height?

I'm interested to hear some feedback on the XL during the live Demo Day today. All the focus has been on the Custom lately with so many people adding it, but wonder how the XL will treat people.

Whats your normal driver shot shape JT? Did you keep it at the standard setting?

Typically a baby draw. Bu I'm overdoing it a little bit. It's better now.

got about 5 rounds in now with my CCCXL. i play a 9* with the 6M3 X, set at +1.50. this thing is just a monster, i'm hitting flat, piercing bombs with it. even my less than stellar swings with it have come out with some impressive distance results, and its pretty forgiving (coming from a VR Tour 420cc PX6.5 before). love this driver, really underrated, and at a great price point.

Sitting at the turn waiting for lightning to pass through, but having an awesome day with the classic. Hit it four times, and each time did exactly what I want to with it.

Long ball measured 296 on the GPS after w quality bounce.

I regripped my driver today and took it to the range before the rain rolled in. I am hitting it pretty good right now, hope it keeps up and translates into lots of FIR this weekend

Round over. Yep, bombed.

I've got this thing dialed right now and its awesome. Got a longer back swing and more aggressive on attack and I'm now getting towering high draws if not straight drives.

Bombed.

I regripped my driver today and took it to the range before the rain rolled in. I am hitting it pretty good right now, hope it keeps up and translates into lots of FIR this weekend

Round over. Yep, bombed.

I've got this thing dialed right now and its awesome. Got a longer back swing and more aggressive on attack and I'm now getting towering high draws if not straight drives.

Bombed.

I'm hoping the success you guys saw today will carry over into my round tomorrow!

Regripped it with a Tour Velvet 360 + 2 wraps, they didnt have a midsize 360 so I just built it up a bit with tape.

One-T now has the JDL 6s in his and oh my....high straight and pretty long bombs all day yesterday.

I'm sure he will have much more to say after the weekend but he is hitting this very well right now.

Bump for Jeff, are you gaming a different shaft in yours today?

Still loving this club. Good day with it. Started really getting it dialed in on the range after my round today.

Back