Cleveland Launcher Ultralite FW Wood Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Good job Hawk. I certainly enjoyed reading that this morning. I think in an age of adjustability, and flight control, and "paint" jobs, CLeveland Golf just put 100% fantastic ingredients in their products, and it sounds as though it was a great decision.

Does having this fwy wood make you want to ponder a Cleveland Driver?

Good job Hawk. I certainly enjoyed reading that this morning. I think in an age of adjustability, and flight control, and "paint" jobs, CLeveland Golf just put 100% fantastic ingredients in their products, and it sounds as though it was a great decision.

Does having this fwy wood make you want to ponder a Cleveland Driver?

I'd really like to try out the drivers again and it sort of ironic that you mentioned what you did in bold. I've had myself convinced that I needed an adjustable driver and shied away from the others. I'm going to go into my next driver search without that preconceived notion.

I'd really like to try out the drivers again and it sort of ironic that you mentioned what you did in bold. I've had myself convinced that I needed an adjustable driver and shied away from the others. I'm going to go into my next driver search without that preconceived notion.

I think that would be a good idea. There's so much good stuff out right now that's not adjustable, it would be worth your attention for sure.

Anyway, great review. Is this fwy wood going to find a way in your bag or are you sticking with your hybrids?

That was a really enjoyable read. Nice to read a review like that on the eve of my purchase of a Cleveland FL fairway wood. Thanks Hawk.

Good question. I want to get out for a couple practice rounds with it before deciding that for sure. I'm better with hybrids in general, at least that's what I tell myself. I'm loving the distance, but I want to see how it fits my swing on the course.

I think that would be a good idea. There's so much good stuff out right now that's not adjustable, it would be worth your attention for sure.

Anyway, great review. Is this fwy wood going to find a way in your bag or are you sticking with your hybrids?

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Good question. I want to get out for a couple practice rounds with it before deciding that for sure. I'm better with hybrids in general, at least that's what I tell myself. I'm loving the distance, but I want to see how it fits my swing on the course.
Tapatalk keeps me sane.

I understand that. Now that you can start getting out on the course, perhaps you'll have your answer sooner than you think.

Great review Hawk! I'd be surprised if this didn't make its way into your bag

Great review. I like that you focused on the 5W. That and the 7W are usually what I pair in the bag and my XLS woods are looking very worn these days. Could be a nice present to myself before we move.

Really curious to see how you make out off the deck with it during a round.

Appreciate the insightful review Hawk. I just replaced my 3w with a M1 and now I'm pondering a Cleveland FW. Love me some Miyazaki shafts!

Great review. The shaft is a big selling point to me.

Nice write up, I'll definitely be giving this club a shot when I go shopping for a 3W next week.

Great write up Hawk! This club ina 4 wood loft is one of the ones I will be hitting on a moniter this weekend and i am really looking forward to seeing the numbers that this one puts up for me.

My wife KellyBo has one of these on the way and I might have to give it a swing. I believe hers is the 17 degree 3 - wood. I am a hybrid man myself so if a FW wins me over, it would have to be pretty special.

Great write up Hawk! This club ina 4 wood loft is one of the ones I will be hitting on a moniter this weekend and i am really looking forward to seeing the numbers that this one puts up for me.

I think you'll love it Wulff. For me it was as long as a true 3w and easier to hit.

Great review!!!! I've been waiting on this one a while and it didn't disappoint, good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great review Hawk! I'm looking to get the 17 degree 3 wood for myself, at least that is the leader in the clubhouse right now. I will probably wait till after the outing so I can test it against some of the other 4 woods.

Nice work on the review! The fairway wood spot in my bag has always been filled but rarely been utilized. These Clevelands (like most of their releases this year) seem like they are very much worth trying out. Even with all the "technology" out there, I keep getting pulled back to the Miyazaki shafts at this price point.

Great review. I bought the 17 degree 3W last week and have played one round with it. It is about an inch longer than my G15 4W which is taking some getting used to. I hit it 4 times. Generally, the ball flight was as high as the Ping 4W. It was very easy to hit and get into the air. I had a tendency to hit it right, although not really a slice. First impressions are very positive for me.

A great review Hawk! I spent some time (not much) late last week with the 15* 3W and came away very impressed. Didn't take enough swings with it to fully know if it was "the one" or not, but it definitely made me want to spend some more time with. And I will at the Outing!

Excellent review! I am extremely impressed that you were seeing 3w distance from this 5w. This year's entire Cleveland line is amazing. I already bought 2 mashies, and may yet add one of their FW to my bag. I want a SL290 driver in the worst way, but my wallet at present says no!

I took this out for a round on the course today and came away really confused. I had myself sort of convinced that I was better served to hit a hybrid due to my swing tendencies. To start the day off, I had a couple straight pushes with it off the tee that weren't actually that bad. I just didn't get the face closed up. I then thought about my set up (it's always the set up it seems) and made a couple adjustments. Boooom. A straight-as-an-arrow tee shot that was bombed. Only problem is that it got caught up in pretty giant gust of wind, which sort of killed the distance. Still, it looked, felt, and sounded awesome. It's defintely longer than my longest hybrid and I could really see it becoming an important club in my bag on shorter or tighter par 4's off the tee. I don't really have a club that is great for that job right now. I still think I like the hybrids better off the grass, but this really has me thinking.

Not sure if confused is the best word. Maybe ponder-ific is a better description.

Played 18 with my new Cleveland Ultralite 17° 3 wood today. I've never been any good at hitting a 3 wood until I found this one. Today I decided to back up to the gold tees at our course to see how I would do now that I have a little longer FW. I am happy to report I made par on 3 out of 4 par 5's with a bogey on 1 because of poor chipping. I absolutely love this club! It is just so easy to hit. It's a lot like the Mashies as far as smooth tempo. Don't try to overswing this club. It's just not necessary. Let the club do the work. I used it 4 times on all par 5's and was 100% happy with each shot. I used it on a tee shot once and pulled it into a FW bunker. Will need to practice that shot on the range. I was obviously trying to kill it on that shot.

Great to hear Kelly! You too Hawk! I can't wait to hit these in May!

The more I use this on the course (as opposed to the range), the more I love it. I've never hit a fairway wood this well in my life. Granted, it's a bit higher lofted than many I've tried, but I find it the easiest fairway I've ever used to get up in the air. I had some reservations about the shaft length at one point, but that is history. One other thing that I particulary like as of late is the accuracy I'm seeing. I hit three shots off the tee with this on a hole that has a tree hanging over 2/3 of the fairway about 50 yards from the tee. You have to basically aim for a little chute or risk some tree action. All three shots went on almost the same line and ended up horizontally within a 10 yard circle right where I was aiming.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. If you are looking at new fairways this year, do yourself a favor and at least give this one a try. One thing I've noticed is that I like it a lot more on the grass than I did mats, so keep that in mind if you do get to try it.

I agree Hawk! I have played several rounds with mine now and I have NEVER had so much confidence with a FW. The 17* 3 wood is perfect for me.

Back