Cleveland Launcher Ultralite FW Wood Review

I feel the need to chime in on the separate fairway wood thread, since I'm in love with my Ultralite 15º 3-wood. It took some getting used to at first, but once you convince yourself to ease up on the swing, the club does all the work! I went out for a quick 9 yesterday, and I hit 3-wood tee shots of 265, 245 and 220. Granted, I was getting good roll on dry fairway, but This club is making me contemplate putting the driver on the shelf for a little while. Actually, it's also making me want to consider the new Cleveland drivers - especially at $300 or so.

I mentioned tee shots up there, but I also want to say this thing is magical from the fairway as well. I flubbed a tee shot and had to use the 3-wood from the fairway on my second shot. When you get good, clean contact, the ball just zooms off and goes far. I just can't say enough about this shaft and head combo. I hope others give these clubs a try.

I feel the need to chime in on the separate fairway wood thread, since I'm in love with my Ultralite 15º 3-wood. It took some getting used to at first, but once you convince yourself to ease up on the swing, the club does all the work! I went out for a quick 9 yesterday, and I hit 3-wood tee shots of 265, 245 and 220. Granted, I was getting good roll on dry fairway, but This club is making me contemplate putting the driver on the shelf for a little while. Actually, it's also making me want to consider the new Cleveland drivers - especially at $300 or so.

I mentioned tee shots up there, but I also want to say this thing is magical from the fairway as well. I flubbed a tee shot and had to use the 3-wood from the fairway on my second shot. When you get good, clean contact, the ball just zooms off and goes far. I just can't say enough about this shaft and head combo. I hope others give these clubs a try.

Glad to hear that you are liking it! I am quickly becoming a big fan of it as well. I would agree that you have to let the club do the work as the shaft/head combo are made for distance and don't need any help. I love the sound when you hit it clean. There is no mistaking a good shot with this club.

I'm looking into replacing my 3w and have been on a testing binge this week-end. I did 2 in store testing, one with Adams F11 and the Cleveland FL and another with Cleveland FL, F11, Ping G15, Callaway Octane and my Burner as a reference. After the first test (with a vector launch monitor), there was no doubt it was the Adams. It was much longer (10-15yds) and felt better. However, the launch monitor wouldnt pick shots of the mat so I had to tee it up a little (which I never do while playing) and this left me wondering how much this would influence the numbers. Now the second test got me a bit confused (this one was done on Trackman off the mat). First, the G15 was quickly out, to short, next to go was the F11 which ended up to be about even with my burner and shorter than the 2 finalists: the Octane and the Cleveland FL. The octane felt great with a very hot face. The Cleveland face had a more muted sound and even on well struck hits, I didn't have this feeling (like the Octane) that I was crushing the ball. Now, when the numbers were compared the results were hard to argue with, the cleveland is the longest FW not by a smidge but by 10yds! (Octane=238yds vs Cleveland=248yd) so obviously, the shaft/head combo does perform. I'm getting a Cleveland FL to demo on the course this week and will see how it performs in on course conditions. I looked up the specs and the Cleveland is 1/2 in longer than the Octane (43.5 vs 43 in) so that may account for some of the extra distance. I which I had pay more attention to the LM#, it would have certainly helped to understand what was going on. Did anyone experienced that same lack of performance feeling for the FL head ?

Last edited:
The more I use this on the course (as opposed to the range), the more I love it. I've never hit a fairway wood this well in my life. Granted, it's a bit higher lofted than many I've tried, but I find it the easiest fairway I've ever used to get up in the air. I had some reservations about the shaft length at one point, but that is history. One other thing that I particulary like as of late is the accuracy I'm seeing. I hit three shots off the tee with this on a hole that has a tree hanging over 2/3 of the fairway about 50 yards from the tee. You have to basically aim for a little chute or risk some tree action. All three shots went on almost the same line and ended up horizontally within a 10 yard circle right where I was aiming.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. If you are looking at new fairways this year, do yourself a favor and at least give this one a try. One thing I've noticed is that I like it a lot more on the grass than I did mats, so keep that in mind if you do get to try it.

Awesome, Hawk. I have been a 4 wood (versus 3 & 5 wood) fan for some time. I don't hit the M2 nearly as well as the M3 or M4 so am thinking of trying the FL (still a bit early on the M2 but I have historically not hit very low lofted hybrids very well). Given the longer shaft lengths these days, I can see the 5 wood become the new 4 or 3 wood. I recall an article a couple months ago in one of the golf magazines that conducted a study that showed amateurs actually hit 4 woods longer than 3 woods, so not totally surprised with your results.

As I figure out the right gaps, was wondering what gap you are seeing between the FL 19 and Mashie M4 and whether you are happy with that (have you tried the M3 to see that gap with the FL 19)?? Thanks.

I took this out for a round on the course today and came away really confused. I had myself sort of convinced that I was better served to hit a hybrid due to my swing tendencies. To start the day off, I had a couple straight pushes with it off the tee that weren't actually that bad. I just didn't get the face closed up. I then thought about my set up (it's always the set up it seems) and made a couple adjustments. Boooom. A straight-as-an-arrow tee shot that was bombed. Only problem is that it got caught up in pretty giant gust of wind, which sort of killed the distance. Still, it looked, felt, and sounded awesome. It's defintely longer than my longest hybrid and I could really see it becoming an important club in my bag on shorter or tighter par 4's off the tee. I don't really have a club that is great for that job right now. I still think I like the hybrids better off the grass, but this really has me thinking.

Not sure if confused is the best word. Maybe ponder-ific is a better description.

I know this ones an older post by you Hawk but catching up on my reading it caught me. This is EXACTLY why I put the 17* in my bag even with my M2 there. This is my go to tee shot club as it has performed like a cannon for me thus far. Off the turf I'm still M2 90% of the time but I can afford to give this spot in the bag to the FW for necessary situations. I myself am in love with it still.

Last edited:
I'm looking into replacing my 3w and have been on a testing binge this week-end. I did 2 in store testing, one with Adams F11 and the Cleveland FL and another with Cleveland FL, F11, Ping G15, Callaway Octane and my Burner as a reference. After the first test (with a vector launch monitor), there was no doubt it was the Adams. It was much longer (10-15yds) and felt better. However, the launch monitor wouldnt pick shots of the mat so I had to tee it up a little (which I never do while playing) and this left me wondering how much this would influence the numbers. Now the second test got me a bit confused (this one was done on Trackman off the mat). First, the G15 was quickly out, to short, next to go was the F11 which ended up to be about even with my burner and shorter than the 2 finalists: the Octane and the Cleveland FL. The octane felt great with a very hot face. The Cleveland face had a more muted sound and even on well struck it, I didn't have this feeling (like the Octane) that I was crushing the ball. Now, when the numbers were compared the results were hard to argue with, the cleveland is the longest FW not by a smidge but by 10yds! (Octane=238yds vs Cleveland=248yd) so obviously, the shaft/head combo does perform. I'm getting a Cleveland FL to demo on the course this week and will see how it performs in on course conditions. I looked up the specs and the Cleveland is 1/2 in longer than the Octane (43.5 vs 43 in) so that may account for some of the extra distance. I which I had pay more attention to the LM#, it would have certainly helped to understand what was going on. Did anyone experienced that same lack of performance feeling for the FL head ?

First of all, I apologize for the delay in responding. I thought I had this thread in my subscriptions, but apparently I didn't. I love the numbers that you posted. Great info. The feel of the club is definitely different than others I've tried, but I can definitely tell when I hit it well. Not sure I'd call it lack of feeling as opposed to a different feel.

Awesome, Hawk. I have been a 4 wood (versus 3 & 5 wood) fan for some time. I don't hit the M2 nearly as well as the M3 or M4 so am thinking of trying the FL (still a bit early on the M2 but I have historically not hit very low lofted hybrids very well). Given the longer shaft lengths these days, I can see the 5 wood become the new 4 or 3 wood. I recall an article a couple months ago in one of the golf magazines that conducted a study that showed amateurs actually hit 4 woods longer than 3 woods, so not totally surprised with your results.

As I figure out the right gaps, was wondering what gap you are seeing between the FL 19 and Mashie M4 and whether you are happy with that (have you tried the M3 to see that gap with the FL 19)?? Thanks.

I'm toying around with that portion of my bag, but I also will carry a hybrid in the 20° range at times. What I've found is from M4 to the the 5W is about 15-20 yards in difference, but keep in mind that I've been playing in wet, cold conditions on fairways that needs mowed and they aren't really optimal to give you the best information. I'm not getting much run out at all right now. For me, this is a fairway wood that I can hit farther than my hybrids at the same time as actually hitting it well, which is the most attractive thing to me. I could probably hit a 3W farther, but the chances of hitting a good shot are much less it seems.

I know this ones an older post by you Hawk but catching up on my reading it caught me. This is EXACTLY why I put the 17* in my bag even with my M2 there. This is my go to tee shot club as it has performed like a cannon for me thus far. Off the turf I'm still M2 90% of the time but I can afford to give this spot in the bag to the FW for necessary situations. I myself am in love with it still.

I used it off the turf last week and actually hit a bomb that was 15 yards longer than my 20° hybrid. Not typical, but it was fun to see. It was a bit off line though. I love this off the tee, though my last trip out I wasn't very accurate with it. That happens though and I saw the same issues with my driver that day as well.

"The feel of the club is definitely different than others I've tried, but I can definitely tell when I hit it well. Not sure I'd call it lack of feeling as opposed to a different feel." (Hawk)

You are right Hawk. It is a different feeling, not bad, just different. The shaft also shines in this club and I liked the ball flight. From the LM, unlike my TM burner, it rises more slowly to peak further down range which makes me hope for more roll once the fairways dry up. THP was the first place where I heard of Miyazaki and after trying the C. Kua in the FW and the mashie, it is amazing how well the shafts work with the club heads to deliver outstanding clubs. I need a bit more time with FW but it looks like it may well find it's way into my bag.

Agreed on the trajectory as well. I think that I could gain some good yardage once courses are in better conditions. Thanks for sharing your experiences and I look forward to seeing what you end up with.

"The feel of the club is definitely different than others I've tried, but I can definitely tell when I hit it well. Not sure I'd call it lack of feeling as opposed to a different feel." (Hawk)

You are right Hawk. It is a different feeling, not bad, just different. The shaft also shines in this club and I liked the ball flight. From the LM, unlike my TM burner, it rises more slowly to peak further down range which makes me hope for more roll once the fairways dry up. THP was the first place where I heard of Miyazaki and after trying the C. Kua in the FW and the mashie, it is amazing how well the shafts work with the club heads to deliver outstanding clubs. I need a bit more time with FW but it looks like it may well find it's way into my bag.

The Cleveland line has a 4 wood that they call a 3w hight trajectory (HT) it is 17*. I find mine very easy to hit off the fairway (easier than a 15*) and it is the perfect club for those tricky par 4s that need a little bit more than a 5 wood but a little bit less than a 3w. I have both the 15* and 19* FL and I replaced them both with this club. Hope this helps.

I've played about 6 or 7 rounds with the Cleveland FL 17° fairway wood now and I'm in love with this club. I am really thinking about buying the 7 wood too instead of using the Mashie 3 because I just feel more comfortable with a wood on the long shots.

I am hitting the best long shots I have ever hit now. I hope it's not a honeymoon period because I'm really enjoying the distance and accuracy I am getting. Last year I took the 3 wood out of my bag because I was just so inconsistent with it. My longest club off the deck was a 5 wood and I hit it pretty good but was a bit inconsistent at times. The new Cleveland 5 wood is just awesome and I was tempted to just replace it instead of going for a 3 wood again. After testing the 17° 3 wood though, I felt pretty confident that it would work out although I was still a bit hesitant. Let me just say, I made the right decision!

I played in a 2 person ladies scramble this past Monday and I was just so proud of my 2nd shots. I've NEVER shined on those shots like I did that day. I had no misses and every time I used it I got great ball flight and accuracy. I even hit a green to 10 feet from the flag with this thing. I was giddy with excitement. My partner was too.

I will add that I find I play WAY better with this club when I have a smooth tempo and do not try to overswing. This shaft is so light that it makes swinging seem effortless. My partner commented that I was swinging so easy that she didn't see how I was getting such distance.

Good info, Kelly and ranger!

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Yes, both very helpful - this is the type of feedback I really enjoy at THP to help narrow the choices a bit then try on my own. Thanks!

Now if I can just get away from a brutal schedule at work to go hit a few...

Glad the review helped. Let me add that when I was fitted to the 17° wood, I hit it 10 yards farther than the 15°. Ole Gray ended up getting one of these too and he ended up with better numbers with the 17° than the 15° too.

Agreed on the trajectory as well. I think that I could gain some good yardage once courses are in better conditions. Thanks for sharing your experiences and I look forward to seeing what you end up with.

Well, with the drier conditions already here in San Diego, I can definitely attest to good rollout with the 15º 3 wood. I think I've said it before, but this club is really making me think twice about carrying my driver. If I can hit 250 tee shots (heck even 240) in the middle of the fairway everytime, I'd be a happy camper to say the least!

I haven't tried the 3W, but I'd like to at some point. The 5W definitely doesn't compete with my driver, but it's very useful for the shorter/tighter par 4's that I play.

I must still be in the honeymoon period with this club but I just had to come back and say again how much I love my 17° 3 wood. I have played with it for several weeks now and I play A LOT of golf. It is just the easiest club in the world to hit and is so long and accurate. I had an eagle using it today on a par 5. I knocked my 2nd shot to within 3 feet of the flag! Needless to say the par 5 is a short one for ladies but I have only eagled that hole once in all the years I have played the course. Last week I played in a scramble and hit my 2nd shot to within 8 feet of the flag using this club. I feel more confident with this club than most in my bag and almost always hit it very well. Wish I could say that for the other clubs in my bag. I struggled so much with my old 3 wood but the 17° loft and Miyazaki shaft make a big difference for me. If you're in the market for a fairway wood, I say give this one a try for sure.

Nice EAGLE, KB :)

I'm really glad to hear that you found a fairway that you like so much. It's hard to find one that fits your swing and I suggest you hang on to that thing for a looooong time!

Once again, I'm going to come into this thread and say that this is one incredible fairway wood. KB and I might sound like broken records, but give it a shot if you are in the market. I used it off the tee very successfully today and actually hit it very well off of the fairway, which has never been a strength of mine. I love this club and I'd fight somebody for it if they tried to steal it.

Once again, I'm going to come into this thread and say that this is one incredible fairway wood. KB and I might sound like broken records, but give it a shot if you are in the market. I used it off the tee very successfully today and actually hit it very well off of the fairway, which has never been a strength of mine. I love this club and I'd fight somebody for it if they tried to steal it.

We'll see what you say after you spend time with the Srixon this weekend. I think a lot of your opinions are about to change.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

We'll see what you say after you spend time with the Srixon this weekend. I think a lot of your opinions are about to change.

That's very possible and you know that I can turn on a dime. However, my point really is that it's becoming a very dependable club for me when I needed to hit the ball 200+ with some confidence that it will be straight. I'm looking forward to seeing the competition.

That's very possible and you know that I can turn on a dime. However, my point really is that it's becoming a very dependable club for me when I needed to hit the ball 200+ with some confidence that it will be straight. I'm looking forward to seeing the competition.

I bet you are dude. Seems like this club should be safe based on your experiences so far.

I must say the 17 degree 3 - wood is going back in my bag this week. I have to give it more bag time as KellyBo is doing so well with hers :thumb:

Well there goes the last snake....An era has ended...hehe

I was not having as much success with the Mashie 3 hybrid as I wanted so I decided to go with the Cleveland 7 wood (22°) instead. I love my 17° so much that I thought it would be better for me to get a 7 wood too. I got the 7 wood in today and went out and hit 8 balls. Everyone of them were straight, high, and the perfect distance to fill my gap. I'm sure I made the right choice on this switch. I still love my Mashie 4 & 5 though!!!

The 17* is a bad, bad, bad club. 10 yards further for me than my buddy's 15*. Love, love, love this club.

Back