Cleveland Launcher Ultralite FW Wood Review

I'm going to be giving the 17° a try on the course on Friday. I'm looking forward to seeing how easy it is to use vs the 19° and what sort of distance increase I see.

I'm going to be giving the 17° a try on the course on Friday. I'm looking forward to seeing how easy it is to use vs the 19° and what sort of distance increase I see.
Go get em buddy, you'll love it!

Go get em buddy, you'll love it!

I love that there is a loft for just about everybody in this line. 13, 15, 17, and 19 give plenty of options for all skill levels and swing types.

17 degree 3Wood is the best fairway wood I have ever had!

I would be very interested in the difference in yardage because I hit that 19° a lot further than my old one. I bet you will hit the 17° well too. It's just so easy.

I would be very interested in the difference in yardage because I hit that 19° a lot further than my old one. I bet you will hit the 17° well too. It's just so easy.

I'm expecting it to be pretty easy to work with. I was amazed how well the 19° was working for me off the fairway last weekend. I've never had luck with a fairway wood off the turf, but I was putting the ball up in the air and getting good distance. The loft certainly helps and I also choked up a bit.

I've always played a 5 wood and skipped the 3 wood based on the fact that I couldn't hit them years ago. But now I'm really leaning toward a 17* as a compromise. I pick up distance and don't have to make room in the bag for another club as I'd drop the 5. Of course this means I need a better 3 hybrid as well as my current one just doesn't get out there like it should.

Hmmmm.... More equipment decisions to make... Paging OEMKevin! Paging OEMKevin!

I've always played a 5 wood and skipped the 3 wood based on the fact that I couldn't hit them years ago. But now I'm really leaning toward a 17* as a compromise. I pick up distance and don't have to make room in the bag for another club as I'd drop the 5. Of course this means I need a better 3 hybrid as well as my current one just doesn't get out there like it should.

Hmmmm.... More equipment decisions to make... Paging OEMKevin! Paging OEMKevin!

Someone call? lol

I'm expecting it to be pretty easy to work with. I was amazed how well the 19° was working for me off the fairway last weekend. I've never had luck with a fairway wood off the turf, but I was putting the ball up in the air and getting good distance. The loft certainly helps and I also choked up a bit.

Do they have the option of a 7 Wood type degree?

I think I want to hit one of these before I pull the trigger on a Mashie. I need something between my 3w (15) and my 21 hybrid. Plus I've been aching to swing the gold C Kua! :D

Do they have the option of a 7 Wood type degree?

KellyBo just got hers yesterday and is loving it! She will comment further but I can tell you she was pure with it.

KellyBo just got hers yesterday and is loving it! She will comment further but I can tell you she was pure with it.

Yep, I love it! It is longer than I expected. I played the men's tees yesterday and had a long (for me) par 3 that I thought it would be perfect for. The shot was actually long so I'm going to have to shorten my swing on that hole a little. I had been taking a short smooth swing with a 5 wood before. I went after the 7 wood and was long.

I'm so glad I got that 7 wood. I played yesterday at Jekyll and had a dogleg to the right with a big tree on the corner of the dogwood. I had to play something shorter than the driver and this club was perfect. I flew over the tree and landed right in the middle of the fairway. I had one other shot with the 7 wood that landed nicely on the green.

My 3 wood (17*) continues to amaze me. It's in a dogfight with my Mashie 5 for the favorite club in my bag.

I'm so glad I got that 7 wood. I played yesterday at Jekyll and had a dogleg to the right with a big tree on the corner of the dogwood. I had to play something shorter than the driver and this club was perfect. I flew over the tree and landed right in the middle of the fairway. I had one other shot with the 7 wood that landed nicely on the green.

My 3 wood (17*) continues to amaze me. It's in a dogfight with my Mashie 5 for the favorite club in my bag.

That's my girl KellyBo!!!!

I played my new 15* FL 3wd over the weekend. Great club! Seems to be 10-15 yards longer than my old Cleveland launcher 3wd and more forgiving. I think the shaft fits me well and an extra 1 inch in length at 43.5 inches gives it more "pop". Just like my SL290 driver, a nice tempo swing works best. I do not get good results trying to muscle it. Only problem is now I have a big distance gap between the 15* FL and my old 2 19* Halo hybrid. Looks like I'll be testing the 19* FL and the Mashies.

I played my new 15* FL 3wd over the weekend. Great club! Seems to be 10-15 yards longer than my old Cleveland launcher 3wd and more forgiving. I think the shaft fits me well and an extra 1 inch in length at 43.5 inches gives it more "pop". Just like my SL290 driver, a nice tempo swing works best. I do not get good results trying to muscle it. Only problem is now I have a big distance gap between the 15* FL and my old 2 19* Halo hybrid. Looks like I'll be testing the 19* FL and the Mashies.

+1 on the new Cleveland line with Miyazaki shafts. I have the XL270, 17 degree 3 Wood and 18 and 23 degree Mashies. They are all easy to hit and longer than the TM equipment they replaced.

I eventually succombed and got a 15* launcher ultralite. So far, I'm in the adaption to the new club period but I must say that I love the ball flight and the dispersion. The head is not quite as forgiving as that of my previous burner 3W but the shaft is just wonderfull. Overall I'm happy with it and when the fairways will dry, I expect to see some distance increase.

So, I've been really thinking about picking up a 17° version of this club and bagging it instead of the 19°. It was almost as easy to hit and gets me a bit more distance. Now that I'm more comfortable with fairway woods in general I thought this might be a good way to get a few more yards off of the tee.

So, I've been really thinking about picking up a 17° version of this club and bagging it instead of the 19°. It was almost as easy to hit and gets me a bit more distance. Now that I'm more comfortable with fairway woods in general I thought this might be a good way to get a few more yards off of the tee.

That's pretty much what I did and I really like the 17°. It's the easiest 3 wood i've ever hit and is really long. Sometimes I wish I had the 19° too though depending on where I'm playing because it is even easier to hit. Let us know how it works out if you do switch.

We have officially finished some very interesting launch monitor testing with this fairway wood. Stats and numbers were crunched and an article is going up on the home page soon.

That's pretty much what I did and I really like the 17°. It's the easiest 3 wood i've ever hit and is really long. Sometimes I wish I had the 19° too though depending on where I'm playing because it is even easier to hit. Let us know how it works out if you do switch.

I find that I'm using the 19° quite often off the tee and since the 17° is easy to hit I might as well get a few extra yards. I will use the 19° off the fairway every couple rounds, but normally stick to my hybrid in those situations.

I finally got to take this out to the range again for a much-needed reuniting session yesterday. I haven't had it in the bag for quite awhile now due to a review and I forgot just how much I missed it. The club just feels nice through the swing. No other way to put it. And the sound/feel at impact is probably my favorite from all the fairways I've hit.

I've been working on swing changes and noticed a difference in my ball flight. What used to be a pretty pronounced fade has become a straight to slightly drawing ball. I was a bit concerned that it would want to hook for some reason. Glad to see that my fears didn't come true. Taking this out for a round this weekend and I'm pretty pumped.

Anybody that is interested in golf club technology in general and more specifically this club, will not want to miss a THP Radio show we have coming up next week.

Back