Cleveland Launcher Ultralite FW Wood Review

Maybe it was those boots you were wearing. Don't you keep golf shoes in the car?

They weren't boots they're Timberlands lol and yes I have golf shoes in the car but I dont wear them standing on mats.

Which way were you hitting it, OEM?

Right. Big ugly slice kind of right. And it was the only club doing that to me. wtc?

I hit my 17* nicely except for the occasional chunk. It's almost as if there is a built in self-correction feature that keeps me on the fairway with a predictable fade. I hit it pretty high and it makes me wonder if I might be better off with the 15* FL even though I have a 82 mph swing speed. Funny thing is that I cannot hit the FL 7 wood as consistently as the 17*. Does anyone else have these situations ?

I've not hit the 7W, so I can't really comment on that for you. I hit the 17° pretty high as well, but I think I like it most of the time. It probably eats up some yards for some people, but I think it helps with sidespin.

I hit my 17* nicely except for the occasional chunk. It's almost as if there is a built in self-correction feature that keeps me on the fairway with a predictable fade. I hit it pretty high and it makes me wonder if I might be better off with the 15* FL even though I have a 82 mph swing speed. Funny thing is that I cannot hit the FL 7 wood as consistently as the 17*. Does anyone else have these situations ?

Love my Cleveland FL 7 wood! I rarely miss with it.

Glad to hear you're bombing this thing TC! There was a time when I was hitting mine farther than my driver. Not so much any more. Gotta work out my swing so I can start creaming mine again. Love the ball flight and distance so pured shots.

I'm really going to miss mine while I'm testing the G20. It's really the standard that I hold other fairway wood to.

Love my Cleveland FL 7 wood! I rarely miss with it.

Kelly and others,
I was wondering if your 17* and your 7 wood have the same flight characteristics ? For whatever reason, the 17* gives me a slight fade which I prefer, but the the 7 wood gives me a moderate fade and so is not as straight as my Sumo2 ( squared fairways), so that's why the FL 7 wood is out of the bag. My guess is that the factory assembly of the 7 wood is not quite suitable for me. Maybe it's spine is off for my swing, whereas the 17* is pretty much right on. What do you think ?

Kelly and others,
I was wondering if your 17* and your 7 wood have the same flight characteristics ? For whatever reason, the 17* gives me a slight fade which I prefer, but the the 7 wood gives me a moderate fade and so is not as straight as my Sumo2 ( squared fairways), so that's why the FL 7 wood is out of the bag. My guess is that the factory assembly of the 7 wood is not quite suitable for me. Maybe it's spine is off for my swing, whereas the 17* is pretty much right on. What do you think ?

For me they play very similar if not the same. I haven't had the need to play my 7 wood for a few weeks now, but I was seeing a very similar ball flight to my 17*. Maybe you got a bad 7 wood?

Planning on playing this club this weekend for the first time in a while. I always miss it when it's out of the bag.

Kelly and others,

I hit my 7 wood straight or have a slight draw. My 3 wood is most often straight but draw it off the tee sometimes. I played in a tournament yesterday and was just SO excited with the performance of both. I hit two really good shots onto the green with the 7 wood. The 3 wood was huge on the par 5 fairways. I cannot say enough about the clubs. I've had them since they were first released and I still love them.

I'm really hoping to get the 3 woods on a launch monitor. I demoed a 15* and really enjoyed the ball flight, from reading this thread and the reviews it seems that many folks are getting better distance with the 17*. For folks that went through the process of determining which 3w was the one for you, was it simply better distance? Is it safe to assume that the 17* is easier to pick from the fairway as well?

I had a great time off the tee with this club and hope to get more time with it soon.

I thought I was getting better distance out of the 17*, but when I got on the monitor, the 15* was giving me 5 yards more. I had no trouble in the FW with either model to be fair.

I was fitted to the 17* by the Cleveland rep. He had me on a launch monitor. He said I was getting 10 yards more out of the 17* than I was the 15* because I could launch it better. It is much easier to hit in the fairway than a lower lofted FW to me.

I'm really hoping to get the 3 woods on a launch monitor. I demoed a 15* and really enjoyed the ball flight, from reading this thread and the reviews it seems that many folks are getting better distance with the 17*. For folks that went through the process of determining which 3w was the one for you, was it simply better distance? Is it safe to assume that the 17* is easier to pick from the fairway as well?

I had a great time off the tee with this club and hope to get more time with it soon.

I think there's a possibility I'd hit the 15° farther at times, but one thing I really like about the 17° is that it's easy to get in the air, which translates to a little more forgiveness for me.

Hadn't had this in the bag for about a month due to reviews, but was able to bag it this weekend. I missed it and was happy to have it back. It's just so easy to get up in the air off the fairway. The only problem I have with it is that I like hitting it too much and tend to take stupid shots with it at times. That helped me and hurt me depending on the situation.

Hadn't had this in the bag for about a month due to reviews, but was able to bag it this weekend. I missed it and was happy to have it back. It's just so easy to get up in the air off the fairway. The only problem I have with it is that I like hitting it too much and tend to take stupid shots with it at times. That helped me and hurt me depending on the situation.

Which FL do you have again?

17° with the 43R shaft. I almost forgot how great it sounds when you hit it clean.

17° with the 43R shaft. I almost forgot how great it sounds when you hit it clean.

Hey buddy, glad it's back in the bag. Can you describe a bit more what you like about the sound? Compared to the 3woods I had in the bag previously, this one offers almost a lack of sound for me. It's much deeper and more muted. Is that what you're getting too?

To me, it's almost like a deep, tinny sound. I thought the G20 had a muted, high pitched ting to it, which was quite different after having this in the bag for so long. I actually like the sound from both, but I think I prefer the FL.

Hey buddy, glad it's back in the bag. Can you describe a bit more what you like about the sound? Compared to the 3woods I had in the bag previously, this one offers almost a lack of sound for me. It's much deeper and more muted. Is that what you're getting too?

I think it makes a nice crack when struck well. Ive always thought it made a nice sound. Maybe you dont hit it hard enough?

I think it makes a nice crack when struck well. Ive always thought it made a nice sound. Maybe you dont hit it hard enough?

Lol, maybe that's what it is. Coming from the Superfast 3wood, which was tingy as hell, I find this one to be more quiet but I do like it.

Lol, maybe that's what it is. Coming from the Superfast 3wood, which was tingy as hell, I find this one to be more quiet but I do like it.

Ok compared to the SF 3W I think it would be a bit more muted. Performance over sound.

Yea, I heard Duey hit his 2.0 3W and it's definitely a louder one.

I am still getting outstanding results from my 5W. It really gives me a ton of confidence either off the tee or the fairway. I have found it to be much more forgiving so far than the Superfast I was using, but that was a 3W so it could have something to do with it.

I think I do this every Monday, but I just can't help it. I love this fairway wood. Something about hitting it clean just makes me smile.

Had my shot of the weekend with it on a 550 yard (into the wind) par 5. Hit a pushed drive to the right rough that was shortened due to some hills. Hit a punch hybrid off the slope to 220 with a pretty wide open shot at the green.

I had the ball a bit above my feet, so I choked up on the FL and just hit a hell of a mid-trajectory draw that ended up right in line with the pin, about 30 feet below the it. Barely missed the birdie putt, but parred a hole that I was not expecting to.
Never had a faiway wood that is so easy to hit.

Back