Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

Hawk,

Getting back to the Mashie Fairway. If you could only carry one in your bag, would you choose the Mashie fairway over both the FL fairway and the Black fairway ? Let's say that you are concerned with consistency first, and distance second.

Yes. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing now and in the Morgan Cup.

I don't want to discount the other two, because they both have some great qualities. The 17° FL was the easiest and most consistent 3W I'd hit up to that point. The Mashie is just more consistent for me, especially from the turf. I think it's built to be forgiving starting with the length of the shaft down to the head design.

The thing is, it's not really much shorter for me either. I bet if I hit 10 shots with each and averaged them, they'd be almost identical due to the forgiveness on mis-hits. Add to that the fact I can hit the Mashie from just about anywhere I want and it ended up being an easy choice.

I think it could be different if I was a better ball striker with fairway woods.

I recently purchased the Mashie FW3 and I notoriously have a hard time hitting 3W off the deck but this gave me no problems at all. I was even able to hit it from the primary rough without issue.

Dev,

Were you able to ponder why this Mashie fairway has worked so well for you ? Was it the shaft, the loft,the weight of the shaft ,the head design or just everything together that helped you to hit it so consistently now ? Have you played with the same Miyazaki shaft in another club before ?

Dev,

Were you able to ponder why this Mashie fairway has worked so well for you ? Was it the shaft, the loft,the weight of the shaft ,the head design or just everything together that helped you to hit it so consistently now ? Have you played with the same Miyazaki shaft in another club before ?

I have a Mashie M4 that I love which is why I went to the Mashie FW3. I think it has some to do with the shaft but more so the head design with the glide rails. It really helps out of tough lies especially secondary cuts of rough.

Yes. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing now and in the Morgan Cup.

I don't want to discount the other two, because they both have some great qualities. The 17° FL was the easiest and most consistent 3W I'd hit up to that point. The Mashie is just more consistent for me, especially from the turf. I think it's built to be forgiving starting with the length of the shaft down to the head design.

The thing is, it's not really much shorter for me either. I bet if I hit 10 shots with each and averaged them, they'd be almost identical due to the forgiveness on mis-hits. Add to that the fact I can hit the Mashie from just about anywhere I want and it ended up being an easy choice.

I think it could be different if I was a better ball striker with fairway woods.

Hawk,

In my opinion, the shaft length for fairway woods have gotten a bit longer than what most golfers can handle consistently. It was not that many years ago that the length for most pros drivers were at 43.5. Therefore, how can most duffers hit a 3 wood with a 43" shaft off the deck ? A couple months ago, it was reccomended by a major golf magazine that golfers should grip down one inch to get better results, and I tend to agree. However, I would prefer that the shaft length just came stock at a shorter length. The other day I was comparing the length side by side with a 2 hybrid and 17* 3 wood and was mildly shocked that the wood shaft looked like it was a good three inches longer.
No wonder some golfers are gravitating more towards hybrids than woods.

Hawk,

In my opinion, the shaft length for fairway woods have gotten a bit longer than what most golfers can handle consistently. It was not that many years ago that the length for most pros drivers were at 43.5. Therefore, how can most duffers hit a 3 wood with a 43" shaft off the deck ? A couple months ago, it was reccomended that golfers should grip down one inch to get better results, and I tend to agree. However, I would prefer that the shaft length just came stock at a shorter length. The other day I was comparing the length side by side with a 2 hybrid and 17* 3 wood and was mildly shocked that the wood shaft looked like it was a good three inches longer.
No wonder some golfers are gravitating more towards hybrids than woods.

I can't disagree with that at all. Some people don't have issues swinging longer clubs, but even at 3/4 inches less length, I'm finding the Mashie easier to swing and control.

Yes, I think that 3/4 of an inch shorter shaft can make a fairly high payoff in the consistency department. When my swing is on, I can hit the 3 wood consistently well. If my swing is a bit off, I am much better to choose a club with a shorter shaft.

Stop interrupting. He was talking to Hawk...

You know what Dev I hope you were joking because you have no place telling me anything unless I ask you. And if you weren't joking then you can eff off.

Beast mode from tapatalk

You know what Dev I hope you were joking because you have no place telling me anything unless I ask you. And if you weren't joking then you can eff off.

Beast mode from tapatalk

Seriously dude? I was just kidding around but I will certainly not attempt humor with you anymore. Wow

Seriously dude? I was just kidding around but I will certainly not attempt humor with you anymore. Wow

Sorry man my bad. I didn't take it the right way. I'm on my period right now and a little short so my apologies.

I know when the Mashie hybrids came out there was big discussion about re-gripping them. It was a pain in the butt and it could affect the performance of the club. Any of these issues with the fairway woods? Has anyone re-gripped theirs yet?

Took a trip down to our new Golfsmith, hit several different FWs and walked out with a 15.5 deg Stiff Mashie. For me, the Mashie was longer than the Nike VR_S and the RBZ, and just felt so much better (probably due to the shorter length).

Took a trip down to our new Golfsmith, hit several different FWs and walked out with a 15.5 deg Stiff Mashie. For me, the Mashie was longer than the Nike VR_S and the RBZ, and just felt so much better (probably due to the shorter length).

Did you happen to hit the 14* and if so what did you think?

Did you happen to hit the 14* and if so what did you think?

I didn't hit it. I wanted the extra loft. When I got fitted last year, the fitter recommended I stay at 15.5 or higher given my swing speed and ball flight.

I will certainly hit the 14 at Demo Day to compare though. Now that you mention it, I kind of hate that I forgot to look and ask to hit it, but I went in thinking 15.5.

You are so bad... As bad as.... me!!! LOL Congrats on the purchase!!

You are so bad... As bad as.... me!!! LOL Congrats on the purchase!!

I know it, and I felt guilty...for a couple minutes. I figured it was my way to support a great company that's being so great to THP...yeah, that's why I did it. :alien:

Im torn between the G20 4 wood that I hit so great and the 15.5 degree mashie that I hit just as well and a little further, but I like the way the g20 looks more for some reason even though the mashie looks nice too.

I know when the Mashie hybrids came out there was big discussion about re-gripping them. It was a pain in the butt and it could affect the performance of the club. Any of these issues with the fairway woods? Has anyone re-gripped theirs yet?

The fairways have the same shaft dimensions I believe. I've never been inclined to re-grip them.

I have the rbz 17* 3wood and while its ok off the tee its still hard to hit off the deck unless its sitting up a bit, so i have ordered a 15.5* mashie 3w to see how it does off the deck. When hitting my rbz off the deck i do tend to hit it fat alot so i hope the mashie will do better due to its sole design

I have the rbz 17* 3wood and while its ok off the tee its still hard to hit off the deck unless its sitting up a bit, so i have ordered a 15.5* mashie 3w to see how it does off the deck. When hitting my rbz off the deck i do tend to hit it fat alot so i hope the mashie will do better due to its sole design

It should help with that. Not so much on the big misses, but on the smaller ones you should see some better performance.

It should help with that. Not so much on the big misses, but on the smaller ones you should see some better performance.

i hope so, there a few holes on my course where the turf is very soft and the 3 wood does seem to dig a bit and i would normaly go to a hybrid there, so i hope the mashie will be my goto club here.

Just in case anybody is wondering this was a very simple regrip today, swapped out the stock grip for a NDMC. I play midsize but since the butt end of this shaft is bigger we used a normal size grip with 2 wraps of tape and it feels about perfect. So I would not worry about re gripping if you are.

Just got back from my first round with the Mashie 3w...in a word "incredible". Hadn't hit a ball with it prior to the round, and used it on three tee shots (all of which were Fairways - two of them perfect), and probably four fairway shots. So versatile, and for a fairway wood in my hands, so freaking straight.

Just got back from my first round with the Mashie 3w...in a word "incredible". Hadn't hit a ball with it prior to the round, and used it on three tee shots (all of which were Fairways - two of them perfect), and probably four fairway shots. So versatile, and for a fairway wood in my hands, so freaking straight.

Glad to hear it Donne. I just see it differently than any other fairway I've had. I don't think twice about grabbing it when I'm in the rough.

Back