Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

Just got back from my first round with the Mashie 3w...in a word "incredible". Hadn't hit a ball with it prior to the round, and used it on three tee shots (all of which were Fairways - two of them perfect), and probably four fairway shots. So versatile, and for a fairway wood in my hands, so freaking straight.

Glad to hear it Donne. I just see it differently than any other fairway I've had. I don't think twice about grabbing it when I'm in the rough.

That is pretty awesome to read. Ive got a brand new Mashie FW I cant wait to finally hit and reading stuff like this makes me almost tinkle my pants with joy.

Just got back from my first round with the Mashie 3w...in a word "incredible". Hadn't hit a ball with it prior to the round, and used it on three tee shots (all of which were Fairways - two of them perfect), and probably four fairway shots. So versatile, and for a fairway wood in my hands, so freaking straight.

Very nice. Very intrigued by the Mashie fairway, especially with the versatility of it from the fairway, tee, and rough.

That is pretty awesome to read. Ive got a brand new Mashie FW I cant wait to finally hit and reading stuff like this makes me almost tinkle my pants with joy.

I missed my first par 5 in two today by clipping a branch. I hit a good drive to get there, but no way do I feel ready to take that shot in the past. I think that the trajectory you get from the 14 will be just what you're looking for since you want something a little lower.

I missed my first par 5 in two today by clipping a branch. I hit a good drive to get there, but no way do I feel ready to take that shot in the past. I think that the trajectory you get from the 14 will be just what you're looking for since you want something a little lower.

I think so too. Im about as anxious to hit the Mashie as anything else in my almost entirely new bag LOL

I think so too. Im about as anxious to hit the Mashie as anything else in my almost entirely new bag LOL

How much longer? I thought I hurt my back the other day and I was all depressed just thinking about missing some golf. You have to be going crazy.

How much longer? I thought I hurt my back the other day and I was all depressed just thinking about missing some golf. You have to be going crazy.

Hard to say but its getting closer. Ive been taking swings inside just not 100% yet and still havent hit a ball. The problem is the grip puts pressure right on the spot I had surgery on. Still hurts a little but its no where near as bad as just a week or so ago. I might buy a small bucket one of the next three days I have off and do some testing.

I imagine it's going to hurt for a while, even if it's fully healed.

I'm uploading a video that has that Mashie shot on it for the HOTD thread. If you go full screen and HD you can see the ball flight. It was maybe a hair lower than normal b/c I was on a slight downhill lie, but not that much different.

I imagine it's going to hurt for a while, even if it's fully healed.

I'm uploading a video that has that Mashie shot on it for the HOTD thread. If you go full screen and HD you can see the ball flight. It was maybe a hair lower than normal b/c I was on a slight downhill lie, but not that much different.

Yup, probably will still be a little sore for a few weeks more. Look forward to it brobeans.

Hey guys I just got back from my first real range session of the year, 3 large buckets and 70*, to say I was having a blast would be a understatement! It was the first real test for the 14* Mashie FW and it did not disappoint at all, first couple shots were very low stingers but after a ball position adjustment I was hitting mid to mid/high bombs with this. I did chunk a couple which is normal for me with a FW of a tight lie but for the most part I didnt have a problem hitting them off the tight stuff. I love the sound/feel of this FW, such a solid feel and sound. I could really feel the shaft load and unload which I loved, very smooth feeling shaft.

My typical shot shape is a draw but with this I was pretty much hitting them either dead straight or with a slight fade, only hit a couple draws with it today. This could just be do to my early season swing since its the first time out with the longer clubs. Very pleased with this so far. It gets through the ground with ease, the rails really do help.

i played with my new mashie 3wood and i am loving it so far, even though its only 15.5* its easier to hit off the deck than my RBZ 17* fairway.

i played with my new mashie 3wood and i am loving it so far, even though its only 15.5* its easier to hit off the deck than my RBZ 17* fairway.

Where abouts in Glasgow did you pick one up ? How much as well if you dont mind me asking ?

Thanks for the update Donne and 10. Me thinks I need to spend some more time with this one soon.

--
tapatalk

Danny, what are you thinking for the long clubs in your MC bag?

Danny, what are you thinking for the long clubs in your MC bag?

It changes daily man. I kinda think strong 3, 17*, then something in the 22* range whether that's a hybrid or wood not sure yet.

--
tapatalk

I've thought about the 14 and the 18 for a combo at times. Then I think that I'm happy with the 15.5 and could go with two hybrids as well. I'm not completely set either.

It changes daily man. I kinda think strong 3, 17*, then something in the 22* range whether that's a hybrid or wood not sure yet.

--
tapatalk

I like that set up. But isn't the Mashie hybrid 21*?

Carrying 2 three woods is about the only way I can make 14 clubs and not feel like I have a wasted club. Heck I've been carrying 2 drivers lately, a 17* 4 wood and straight to 22* hybo without a gapping issue.

I'm stuck between mashie and black though.

--
tapatalk

Mashie Hybrid lofts are 15.5, 18, 20.5, 23, 26

I took the new fairway wood out for the first time on the course and was very impressed. IT fit in perfectly to the top end of my bag based on the distances I was getting. I did notice as the day went on a bit of a slice as I would try to over hit the club, the same thing I have experienced with the Mashie. Off the tee or off the deck it worked great!! Overall I am quite happy with the club and look for my new time out on the course

Sorry kmac I missed that question. May go with the 20.5*/23* depending on irons and where the fairways fall.

--
tapatalk

Where abouts in Glasgow did you pick one up ? How much as well if you dont mind me asking ?

i bought it online from golf bidder, it was brand new and cost £119.99+£6.99 next day shipping they still have a few on there now

So the Mashie 14 degree 3 wood was about the only bright spot during my round yesterday. This club is LEGIT! Just a rundown of the 9 shots I used it for. - sorry about the length of the post!

#1 - 561 yard par 5. Second shot from the fairway with the 3W, and it wasn't pretty. Caught it pretty decently into a stiff wind, but hit about a 20-30 yard slice. Again - not pretty - but still hit it well over 200 yards.

#7 - 501 yard par 5 - very big uphill approach after a flat driving area. Was left with about 250 in after a not so great drive. In the light rough - I was able to advance it about 220 straight down the middle. Came out low but hit very well. Would have carried farther but again way uphill. Very happy with this result.

#10 - 373 yard par 4 - decided to give the 3W a chance here as the hole typically gets a little tight around 250 with bunkers on left and right. Right down the middle with very straight, piercing ball flight. It was one of those where you could hear the ball flying through the air half way down the fairway - absolutely smoked. Left with just under 130 in - so easily 240.

#11 - 385 dog leg left par 4 - we won't talk to much about this shot. Was attempting to turn it over and draw around the corner - pull-hooked it into the trees about 175 yards off the tee. Not good.

#13 - very short 303 yard par 4 - typically I take a hack with the driver and end up in one of a series of bunkers between 40 yards and the green. Decided to lay up with the 3W. Actually took a nice 3/4 swing with an abbreviated follow thru, and hit a very nice low 'stinger' of sorts. Settled middle of the fairway, about 85 yards out or so. Very pleased with this shot. Was able to take some distance off and not sacrifice accuracy.

#14 - 506 yard par 5 - second shot in from 240 and absolutely chunked the 3W, ended up straight down the fairway about 150 yards or so... Not a terrible layup, haha. But a bad swing. Tried to crush it and got a little steep I think.

#15 - 394 yard par 4 - at this point my round is not going well, and I am just trying to get a lot of 3W work in. This hole is a slight dog-leg left with water all down the left side. I just take the 3W, and played right down the middle figuring I couldn't run out of fairway at the angle I was taking - well I was wrong. I only ran thru into the first cut, but hit an absolute bullet - again awesome penetrating ball flight. Landed past the 150 stake in the middle and kept running. I ended up having a wedge in from 125 on my next shot - so easily hit it 260+. Crazy.

#16 - another uphill par 5 at 527 yards very similar to #7 (they actually run parallel to eachother). Had about 280 in, and hit another great 3W right down the middle leaving myself with about 70 in or so. Ball was hit low and didn't get much run up the hill, but very happy with the result - even if it was far shorter than some of the last 3Ws.

#18 - the finishing hole is a 90 degree dogleg right par 4 measuring 407. This was potentially the best 3W of the day. I played it right at the corner of the dog leg and attempted to hit a cut. I just concentrated on a high finish and opened the face a touch, as I really wanted to hit a high cut just over the trees at the corner of the dog leg which is about 200 out. Well I pulled it off perfectly, right over the corner with a little cut, and was left with 150 in sitting next to the stake in the middle of the fairway. Easily the best drive I have ever had on this hole. It's a great feeling when you can pull something off just like you imagined.

This club is incredible. Off the tee its a beast - and I was able to still get it up and hit it a long ways from the fairway/rough. Very versitile, confidence inspiring, and easy to hit. I haven't been too great with 3-woods in the past - but I can see that all changing with this beauty. It will be staying around for a while - for sure!

Nice info, berty. You are making me want that 14 now.

I have got to get me a 14* Mashie. This is the most intrigued I have ever been over a damn fairway wood. The more I read, the more I want it.

I was able to finally hit the 14* Mashie 3W today at the range and off grass. Good bye RBZ 3W! The Mashie was just stupid easy to hit. This was my first range visit in well over a month so the rust was thick. I started off hitting wedges which I hit about 50/50 good, fat or shanks. lol. Eventually I made it to the Mashie. Fist shot I propped up on some grass and just smoked it. The back of the range was 235 and with my hand still not 100% I cant really smoke anything yet but it was as smoked as I could smoke anything today. Awesome ball flight and more then anything great turf interaction. Looked to be about 220 ish and straight. I think if I could take a good 100% swing I could easily hit into the back net. I dont doubt that hte RBZ 3W might be as long if not longer but where I am right now the Mashie was just so much easier to hit. I struggled a bit but the Mashie really made it an enjoyable range visit.

I was able to finally hit the 14* Mashie 3W today at the range and off grass. Good bye RBZ 3W! The Mashie was just stupid easy to hit. This was my first range visit in well over a month so the rust was thick. I started off hitting wedges which I hit about 50/50 good, fat or shanks. lol. Eventually I made it to the Mashie. Fist shot I propped up on some grass and just smoked it. The back of the range was 235 and with my hand still not 100% I cant really smoke anything yet but it was as smoked as I could smoke anything today. Awesome ball flight and more then anything great turf interaction. Looked to be about 220 ish and straight. I think if I could take a good 100% swing I could easily hit into the back net. I dont doubt that hte RBZ 3W might be as long if not longer but where I am right now the Mashie was just so much easier to hit. I struggled a bit but the Mashie really made it an enjoyable range visit.

That is awesome Kmac! I can't wait to get the opportunity to hit this. Hopefully they will get some in, and in LH, here in Raleighwood soon.

Back