Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

Just caught up on this thread. A ton of good information. The original mashie & I did not agree. Snap hook city. I'm still curious about the FWs though, even though I had a so so initial try out with the 3W (pre swing change). I'm still working with my hybrid, but if I don't get it where I want it, I could easily see swapping it out for a 5W. I'll have to check it out again at GS or something. You guys sure do sound like it's ridiculous.

'Game changer' is a strong descriptor, but coming from JB, I have to at least give it another look.

Anyone hit the 7W yet? Or am I the only one who still bags one of those? :D

Jon, I've considered it, but haven't seen one to try. I was pretty happy with the new hybrid when I had a chance to demo it, so I sort of just let that thought go away.

The new Mashie is less offset than last year's correct?

The new Mashie is less offset than last year's correct?

I do not know that for a fact (as in, I don't have any specs). It did appear that way to my eyes.

Gotcha. I guess I'll just have to add both of these to the list of must tries.

I hope to get some more time with the new hybrid before decision time. I only hit it 10 times or so, but I was impressed. In a perfect world I'd get a crack at that 7W too, but I don't know if that's going to happen. I don't see them being readily available like hybrids. Not a huge market for the 7w's these days :)

That is a solid ponder and one that I don't ever look at. I look at 3W for tight driving holes and that is it. I will then get hybrids to gap to my irons. If it were me, 3W/2H/4H. Love my M2.

I used to be the same way. That is until I found this FW wood line. It changed everything for me.

This is why I may go 3W/5W/4H. Crazy pondering right now.

I guess my question is - will I really use a 5W as a gapping club? I've never really done that.

I used to carry a 5 wood, and honestly, I was really accurate with it. I traded it out for the Mashie 3H last year, but there are days that I miss my 5W, and this may get me the best of both worlds.

I am going for gapping. As of now I have a Mashie 2,3 and 4 Hybo. In a few weeks I am doing a driver fitting, from there I am almost positive I will by the Mashie 3W just not sure of the degree. I may end up taking out the M2 Hybo but the fitting will tell me what I need. For me its all about gaps and from 225 out I am always laying up.

Hey guys I just got back from the course and hit my 14* mashie FW once off the tee on a shorter par 4 dogleg left and guys no joke this thing is long. I hit a mid piercing ball flight that cut right through the wind and actually went through the fairway by about 5 yards which is around 230 carry, I was not expecting that at all. This ball looked like it was on a rope, it could not of been any straighter. So far so good with this one.

As much as I love the FW and the Hybrid performance, that Miyazaki shaft is still tough for me to replace the grip on. Finally got a couple of standard Winn DryTacs on there, but really tough to get started (granted, I do it without having the all the proper tools/setup). There is no way that Cleveland's website is right about those being a 0.600" butt diameter.

As much as I love the FW and the Hybrid performance, that Miyazaki shaft is still tough for me to replace the grip on. Finally got a couple of standard Winn DryTacs on there, but really tough to get started (granted, I do it without having the all the proper tools/setup). There is no way that Cleveland's website is right about those being a 0.600" butt diameter.

Man mine was so easy to regrip, just like any other club but it was done in store clamped in a vice etc.

Man mine was so easy to regrip, just like any other club but it was done in store clamped in a vice etc.

Yeah, I just do a few each year at home, and I don't have a vice setup. Getting it started one handed was a bit of a challenge.

I had the same problem with the 2011 Mashies, and actually had to throw away two grips that I broke trying to get them on.

Yeah, I just do a few each year at home, and I don't have a vice setup. Getting it started one handed was a bit of a challenge.

I had the same problem with the 2011 Mashies, and actually had to throw away two grips that I broke trying to get them on.

AD,
If you cant get it done, I will do it for you at the outing. The THP Tour Van has a compressor built into it, so it will be a snap.

AD,
If you cant get it done, I will do it for you at the outing. The THP Tour Van has a compressor built into it, so it will be a snap.

I appreciate the offer JB, but I got them on this time.

Is anyone gaming the 14* with the C.Kua 59 in X-flex? I'm between stiff and x and can't decide.

I hit this along with the Black last week. Not bad. Can tell the Black is an absolute canon. Mashie seems like a reliable option, hmm.

I hit this along with the Black last week. Not bad. Can tell the Black is an absolute canon. Mashie seems like a reliable option, hmm.

That's what I like about it. Reliable and much easier to hit for a guy that isn't great with fairway woods to begin with. Versatile too. Hell, I used it to punch out of some native grass/sticks the other day.

That's what I like about it. Reliable and much easier to hit for a guy that isn't great with fairway woods to begin with. Versatile too. Hell, I used it to punch out of some native grass/sticks the other day.

I was getting that feeling too. F5 + M3 would be an interesting setup.

Crap, I may have talked myself into something.

Would have 2 new 3H, but so what.

Im gaming both the F5 and M3 and like the set up so far. I like having the flexibility of both options depending on the situation and lie. I also hit the 5 wood longer probably due to the longer shaft and lower loft. It fills the gap nicely between my 3 wood and M3.

I have been struggling with the FW from every lie except the tee and fluffed up rough, no sure why but its starting to annoy me as I hit my FW great usually.

I have been struggling with the FW from every lie except the tee and fluffed up rough, no sure why but its starting to annoy me as I hit my FW great usually.

One thing to think about is that the Mashie 3W is shorter than both the Cleveland Black and Cleveland FL by 3/4-1". Not sure what you were playing before, but maybe it's a shaft length thing since you are hitting better off of an elevated lie. Maybe try getting just a bit closer to the ball stance wise.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice.

One thing to think about is that the Mashie 3W is shorter than both the Cleveland Black and Cleveland FL by 3/4-1". Not sure what you were playing before, but maybe it's a shaft length thing since you are hitting better off of an elevated lie. Maybe try getting just a bit closer to the ball stance wise.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice.
lol no worries dude, advice is always welcome. I played the 910F last season which was a little longer and heavier. I will def give that a shot though, makes sense. With the 910 I always seemed to pick it perfect or just barely disturb the grass, for some reason it feels like I need to take a divot with the mashie almost like a hybrid or iron. Im gonna mess around with ball position and stance on the range next time out and will give a update.

Bought the F3 after falling in love with the M3 hybrid. Definitely the most consistent 3 wood I have ever hit. Fantastic club.

Back