Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

After nine holes today I have to say that I'm really thinking about adding the 14° to the bag for the MC. I think my ball flight is high enough with the 15.5° that I can use the 14° effectively. I've never felt really comfortable with a fairway wood under 17° before putting this in the bag, so that's pretty cool.

Couple highlights from today.

3rd shot on the first hole - Par 5 585 yards. I had to punch out due to a pushed drive. Cranked it straight and long and left myself with a 90 yard wedge.

Tee shot on the 5th hole - Par 4 291 yards. The hole is sort of deceiving to the eyes. I wasn't really sure what to do, but knew I just wanted to hit it straight to keep it in play, so I hit the Mashie and was left with 75 yards to a back pin.

I only took two other shots with it and they were both basically topped balls that couldn't have been saved by anything.

Sounds like you were hitting the Mashie pretty well. If you have no issues getting the ball in the air then you'd probably like the 14* too.

After the good experience this past weekend with the 5w I am pondering the 14 and the 15.5 but not sure I really "need" to add those to my bag. I will certainly look for them at the outing and see what the results are off the deck.

I think the Black is the longest, but it's not nearly as controllable for me. I think I out-swing the shaft at this point. The 17° FL is pretty similar in distance and ball flight, but doesn't have that added forgiveness factor for me. I played the FL for almost the entire season last year and I never felt the confidence I have with the Mashie.

Sounds like you were hitting the Mashie pretty well. If you have no issues getting the ball in the air then you'd probably like the 14* too.

It seems forgiving enough that 14° would be very doable.

Exactly what I was looking hawk, thank you. Mashie time!

--
tapatalk

Upset this didn't work me. Only hit at gg but just didn't hit it well according to their lm

I probably haven't been out or even to the range in over a month and I had no issues with the 14* yesterday. I wouldn't be afraid of it at all if I were you.

It seems forgiving enough that 14° would be very doable.

I have not struggled with the 14* at all. So much so that I am not going to add another fw wood to my Morgan Cup bag. It is extremely versatile for me, both off the tee and the turf. It leaves me with an interesting dilemma on what my 14th club will be, but that is for a different thread. I have pondered going with the 18* though. Im just not sure I would use it enough to warrant it in my bag. However I did get a chance to hit the 18* and it is extremely easy to hit for those that like that loft.

On the flip side, I thought about only having because it is so easy to hit that I could use it in place of the 14* and it would keep me from going for it when I shouldnt due to overconfidence.

JB was the mashie 14* 3-wood you have the same length as advertised now (42.75") or the old advertised length of (41.25)? Just curious if Cleveland changed their length or first ad was typo?

JB was the mashie 14* 3-wood you have the same length as advertised now (42.75") or the old advertised length of (41.25)? Just curious if Cleveland changed their length or first ad was typo?

Mine is 42.75 in length.

I used my 14* off the tee once today and just hit a mid flight bullet that set me up perfect on a short par 4. Wish I could of used it more but didnt get a chance since I was never in the fairway when I would of needed it lol.

I suppose the initial info we got was typo. Tried the 15.5* in simulator over the weekend and wasn't as impressed as I am with the mashie hybrid. I just need to try it outside at demo day. swing might have been off a little as I had been trying Rocketballz and Cleveland Classic drivers and was probably a little tired.

I have not struggled with the 14* at all. So much so that I am not going to add another fw wood to my Morgan Cup bag. It is extremely versatile for me, both off the tee and the turf. It leaves me with an interesting dilemma on what my 14th club will be, but that is for a different thread. I have pondered going with the 18* though. Im just not sure I would use it enough to warrant it in my bag. However I did get a chance to hit the 18* and it is extremely easy to hit for those that like that loft.

On the flip side, I thought about only having because it is so easy to hit that I could use it in place of the 14* and it would keep me from going for it when I shouldnt due to overconfidence.

I'm really torn on how I want to set up this part of my bag. I'm constantly going back and forth between a 14° and 18° set up with one hybrid vs a 15.5° and then two hybrids. I also wonder if I'd really use the 18° very often as opposed to the hybrid.

I'm really torn on how I want to set up this part of my bag. I'm constantly going back and forth between a 14° and 18° set up with one hybrid vs a 15.5° and then two hybrids. I also wonder if I'd really use the 18° very often as opposed to the hybrid.

Now I am back to debating it. Starting to think that maybe just the 18* is the way to go because of the ease of use. THe problem is, I find them all incredibly easy to hit and control, so it becomes more of a gapping thing. Do I want my FW wood for distance, or do I want it to attack greens outside my normal 3 hybrid.

Now I am back to debating it. Starting to think that maybe just the 18* is the way to go because of the ease of use. THe problem is, I find them all incredibly easy to hit and control, so it becomes more of a gapping thing. Do I want my FW wood for distance, or do I want it to attack greens outside my normal 3 hybrid.

I would want it for distance I would think. How many times are you pulling it to reach the green vs. off the tee box? For me it's far more times off the tee

Yes! I am definitely going with the 3 & 5 Fwy woods. I just don't see why not. If they are as good as you guys are saying then it makes sense to have both.

I would want it for distance I would think. How many times are you pulling it to reach the green vs. off the tee box? For me it's far more times off the tee

Its more about a gap for me. Do I want my FW for the sheer number or do I want it to be a little more versatile such as very long par 3s or using it rather than swinging too hard with my hybrid.

Yes! I am definitely going with the 3 & 5 Fwy woods. I just don't see why not. If they are as good as you guys are saying then it makes sense to have both.

I was just thinking the same thing TC, and I may drop down to a 4 hybrid if these are as versatile as JB is saying.

I was just thinking the same thing TC, and I may drop down to a 4 hybrid if these are as versatile as JB is saying.

That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. I'm not sure though. I may get a 4iron and then go with the M3.

Its more about a gap for me. Do I want my FW for the sheer number or do I want it to be a little more versatile such as very long par 3s or using it rather than swinging too hard with my hybrid.

That is a solid ponder and one that I don't ever look at. I look at 3W for tight driving holes and that is it. I will then get hybrids to gap to my irons. If it were me, 3W/2H/4H. Love my M2.

That is a solid ponder and one that I don't ever look at. I look at 3W for tight driving holes and that is it. I will then get hybrids to gap to my irons. If it were me, 3W/2H/4H. Love my M2.

I used to be the same way. That is until I found this FW wood line. It changed everything for me.

I used to be the same way. That is until I found this FW wood line. It changed everything for me.

Dang you and your persuasiveness. I really want this 3W

Here's my thoughts on this. I think I want whatever 3W will go the farthest, but I'm not planning on giving up the accuracy that I get from the 15.5°. I want to use it off the tee, but I have plans on using it for getting to shorter par 5's in two as well. As long as I can hit that 14° as consistently as the 15.5°, I know what I'm doing. I can choke down to drop a few yards if needed.

I'm just not sure whether I go with another mashie fairway and one hybrid or one Mashie fairway and two hybrids.

I guess my question is - will I really use a 5W as a gapping club? I've never really done that.

Back