Cobra Golf Long Tom Driver Preview

The Long Tom 2 Wood might find it's way into my bag some day as a driver replacement and then a 4W for off the deck!

I want to try the driver but I've ballooned the Stiff. The xflex is too expensive on eBay or in stores.. :(

I want to try the driver but I've ballooned the Stiff. The xflex is too expensive on eBay or in stores.. :(

I think the driver and the 2W are completely different animals. After enjoying the LT2W I gave the driver a few swings and still didn't care for it.

I think that whatever you are with the 2wood, you need to up a flex in the driver.
I think the driver and the 2W are completely different animals. After enjoying the LT2W I gave the driver a few swings and still didn't care for it.

I've never found effective use from a fairway wood that is that long. I'd never need it off the deck and off the tee I'd prefer driver if I want that much distance.

Slicing for show and chunking for dough, because I spend too much time Tapatalking from my iPad.

Has anyone tried the Long Tom driver head with there normal shaft length and how did it perform?

I've never found effective use from a fairway wood that is that long. I'd never need it off the deck and off the tee I'd prefer driver if I want that much distance.

Slicing for show and chunking for dough, because I spend too much time Tapatalking from my iPad.

I disagree. The large head and big face make it easier for contact. It goes like a pured 3 wood every single time.

Has anyone tried the Long Tom driver head with there normal shaft length and how did it perform?

Id be interested in that. But if you have the 2 wood, you almost need the driver, although Ive got a pretty good 1-2 piece at the top of my bag right now.

I disagree. The large head and big face make it easier for contact. It goes like a pured 3 wood every single time.

Id be interested in that. But if you have the 2 wood, you almost need the driver, although Ive got a pretty good 1-2 piece at the top of my bag right now.

So are you thinking that the 2 wood would be the same distance as the driver would be if it had a 45 inch shaft?

The LT 2 wood piques my interest. And they make it in LH I believe. I may get one eventually just so I can have a 2 wood.

The LT 2 wood piques my interest. And they make it in LH I believe. I may get one eventually just so I can have a 2 wood.

It is available in LH

The Long Tom 2 Wood might find it's way into my bag some day as a driver replacement and then a 4W for off the deck!

Iceyshanks: I have a LT2W on order. I think the top of my bag is going to look like this -- driver, LT2W, 4w, 7w. I think they'll each serve a purpose and give me nice gaps.

The head is what is intriguing me the most. I'm seemingly smoother with a FW wood off the tee than I am a driver. If I can put that same smooth swing on with the LT2W as I can with a 3w from the tee, then I will be in business.

I'm also pondering shortening the length down to about 43.5. That'd give me driver at 44.5, 2w at 43.5 and 4 wood at 42.5. I think this is going to step off nicely and give me oodles of confidence.

I saw one of these at a pro shop last week, nice looking but 48 inches is just too much for me.

lol na lance wont mind the cobras will be out of the bag come spring when the next long drive season starts and hopefully i dont pull a bicept trying to measure penises in the gym again this year seeing who can bench the most. but i have a feeling cobra will join back in the long drive scene next year.

???? Measure penises ????

ryebread,
Just curious what happened to the mashie FW in your bag?
Harvey Penick said that most amateur golfers should only use a 3-wood off the tee until they get comfortable with it before moving on to the driver. I would also suggest that you keep up with where you are loosing strokes. It may surprise you.
Also look forward to your review of the long tom 2-wood. Do you think you will try it standard length before cutting it off?
You might want to choke up on it when you first get it to see how it is going to work before you have it cut down. Just a thought.

Last edited:
ryebread,
Just curious what happened to the mashie FW in your bag?
Harvey Penick said that most amateur golfers should only use a 3-wood off the tee until they get comfortable with it before moving on to the driver. I would also suggest that you keep up with where you are loosing strokes. It may surprise you.
Also look forward to your review of the long tom 2-wood. Do you think you will try it standard length before cutting it off?
You might want to choke up on it when you first get it to see how it is going to work before you have it cut down. Just a thought.

majBC: Right now I'm holding onto the Mashies. They're going to do a "shoot out" with the TEE FWs.

I'll let the forum know how it goes with the LT2W. I'm going to try it at the standard length before shortening it. Before shortening it, I'll try choking up to see if it helps any. For all I know, I may stick with the stock length.

I do chart a lot of my game. Yesterday and today I played out of my father in law's bag. Yesterday the difference in putter ate me alive. I had it down by the end of the round though and today it was fine. Today we were playing in 40 degree temps and a 20+ MPH wind and high fliers into the green were where I lost the strokes. I just couldn't land one on the green (though it was funny to watch the ball actually go backwards on one hole).

I will be interested to hear how the Trilogy does against the Mashie fairway woods and what the Long Tom 2-wood adds to your bag as well. Some great testing you will be doing this winter.

Difficult weather for golf today for you but at least you were able to get out and play.

Last edited:
Today was the first day out with the Long Tom 2 Wood. I literally took it out of the box, unwrapped it and took it straight to the course. I had no practice swings, practice shots on a range, or literally any time to try to dial it in at all. I just put it in play.

- First hole, tee shot: Tried to kill it and shanked it. Hmm...
- About the 11th hole, tried it off of the deck: screaming low trajectory, but lost it right. Not as much distance as my 4 wood. Not so surprising because I don't have the clubhead speed for a strong 3 wood, but I wanted to try it anyways as the ball was set up so nicely.
- About the 15th hole, tee shot: I was starting to get a little tired (walked) and my driver was getting a little erratic. I decided to go with a nice and easy swing with the 2W, and whammo. The ball went right down the middle, only about 15 yards shorter than I was hitting my driver (GPS measured). That's more like it!
- The rest of the round I hit this as my tee shot because it was getting dark and hitting the fairway was critical. Every single one was in the fairway, though a couple of them leaked to the right hand side (high fade). These would have all been playable though, even at a tighter course.

For the first day, with absolutely zero practice time, I walked away pretty impressed. If I can consistently place this in the middle of the fairway and only about 15 yards short of my driver, then the LT2W will have done exactly what I hoped. If I can do that, then I'd probably hit this 75% of the time on par 4s and 5s.

Also the LT2W is a very, very nice looking golf club. The matte black finish on the head and shaft is a nice balance of subtle and mean. The fake "insert" in darker black in the front is a touch of old school that I like as well.

More updates to come.

I took the LT2W out to a couple of range sessions recently. Tonight I was really hitting the ball well, and the LT2W was no different. I hit about 25 shots off of the tee today with it. All of my shots were long and high and started to the left with a fade to small slice.

More importantly, my ball pattern was very consistent on the club head. Everything was either in the middle trapezoid or was towards the heel (my typical miss). With a nice, easy swing, it's very difficult to miss the sweet spot.

I had some fun with the Long Tom in Myrtle this weekend at the PGA Superstore.. Did everything I could to get my swing speed over 120 and my distance over 300. It took quite a bit of effort, but I finally got it to 121.5, and sweating hahaha!

It's fun to mess around with, but I don't know that I could ever game it.. I am also surprised how much shudder the X has, although at that shaft length I guess it makes sense.

I had some fun with the Long Tom in Myrtle this weekend at the PGA Superstore.. Did everything I could to get my swing speed over 120 and my distance over 300. It took quite a bit of effort, but I finally got it to 121.5, and sweating hahaha!

It's fun to mess around with, but I don't know that I could ever game it.. I am also surprised how much shudder the X has, although at that shaft length I guess it makes sense.

It was entertaining watching you hit it though.

I was 2-3 swings from shouting at the monitor haha - That wore me the heck out dude.

You mean from pulling a Golf4Life? haha

I can still see this club as a driver replacement, but if I keep a driver in the bag, I don't know how it would fit into the mix for me!

I can still see this club as a driver replacement, but if I keep a driver in the bag, I don't know how it would fit into the mix for me!

The LT2W may become my driver replacement. I had another great day on the range with it and my confidence level is sky high now. I'm willing to give up 10-15 yards (and that's really about the average difference) for how much more consistently straight I am hitting this. We'll see how it goes on the course next weekend.

So far the 45 inch shaft really hasn't been an issue. I've also found the head to really have a solid feel.

It is definitely a club to check out if you struggle off the tee with a driver. I've actually had much better results thus far than I have with high launch (13 degree) drivers. I seem to take a more even swing and end up closing the face better.

Back