Cobra Golf Long Tom Driver Preview

Do you really think the difference is 10-15 yards if all shots are averaged as I would think your missed shots with the driver would be more off line and thus shorter. I would not be surprised if you hit 50 balls with each one and averaged them that the Long Tom 2-wood might be 10-15 yards longer. Again this would be on average, all shots not just the "good" ones.

MajBC: You make a very, very good point. That might make a great rainy day, launch monitor comparison. The 10-15 yards is what I feel like the average distance difference is for well struck balls. The percentage of well struck balls, and the deviation offline is seemingly better with the 2W so the overall results might actually be better with the 2W.

I do know that I'm hitting the LT2W much better than I've previously hit HL drivers. I think there's something to the smaller head that causes me to take a more fluid swing.

Last edited:
I hope there are some of these floating around the clearance sections so I can give the 2W a whirl.

I swung this club 2 weeks ago and fell in love right away, I bought one. I usually hit 240, with the club I hit 2x 280± bombs straight. Even my bad swings were going over 260. I'm only 5'7", my swing is perfect for this club. I bought the 9* stiff.

Using HTC EVO LTE

Since my last post I have traded my Long Tom in for my Cobra Amp driver, my tee off swing appreciates me now.

Using HTC EVO LTE

SARSagent6: I'm still gaming my LT2W, but with the way I've been hitting my driver recently, I may not need to. I've gone 3 straight rounds with the driver without missing a fairway. Granted, I put one drive in a pond, but it was dead straight.

I was messing with the 2W on the range last night. I was taking an extended turn with it and the driver to see if I could get a little more distance. With the driver, I was producing the same ball flight but with more distance (and a little wilder). With the LT2w, I ended up with a nasty hook on one and some inconsistent ball flight on others. The duck hook is the type of ball flight that just isn't in my bag. The LT2w really needs to be swung smoothly.

I also think this would be a great club to cut down. The shaft would stiffen up and I think you'd end up with a great fairway finder.

Even if I take it out of the bag short term, I think this club is a keeper. I really think it could have a cult following long term (like some of the Rapture fairways). It's just so unique.

Since my last post I have traded my Long Tom in for my Cobra Amp driver, my tee off swing appreciates me now.

Using HTC EVO LTE

Okay we expect you to now be plenty long and straighter, but I watched a little guy probably 5 foot 8",145 pounds max kill that Long Tom. He is a good player , good swing, good swing speed. Was surprised to see him bagging it since he really does not need a 48 inch long driver, but who does.

Question for some of you that have gamed the driver, my swing speed with a regular length driver is anywhere from 95MPH to 100, with the added length and pressumably swing speed, what shaft flex would I order a Long Tom in, I put a lot of back spin(around 4000rpm) on my drives and is something I am working on cutting down, my launch is also pretty high(on average 17).

Question for some of you that have gamed the driver, my swing speed with a regular length driver is anywhere from 95MPH to 100, with the added length and pressumably swing speed, what shaft flex would I order a Long Tom in, I put a lot of back spin(around 4000rpm) on my drives and is something I am working on cutting down, my launch is also pretty high(on average 17).

Never owned one but hit one quite a few times on a buddy's trip. I hit the stiff shaft version and it stood up well to my swing. I can't tell you precise spin numbers but it did not balloon so I'm thinking pretty low spin.

My driver swing is in the teens. I'd say if you normally play a regular, it will work for you here. If you're normally a stiff guy, go with that.

Never owned one but hit one quite a few times on a buddy's trip. I hit the stiff shaft version and it stood up well to my swing. I can't tell you precise spin numbers but it did not balloon so I'm thinking pretty low spin.

My driver swing is in the teens. I'd say if you normally play a regular, it will work for you here. If you're normally a stiff guy, go with that.

Your SS is about 15 mph moore than mine? and the stiff did well for you? that tells me it's got to be a pretty stout shaft, my concern was that if I picked up more SS because of the extra 2" and because it is 48" long, would it make it more flimsy, but I guess it wouldn't, I am a little worried to order the wrong flex and be stuck with it, but at a $119.00 tag I can live with it.

Thanks

Your SS is about 15 mph moore than mine? and the stiff did well for you? that tells me it's got to be a pretty stout shaft, my concern was that if I picked up more SS because of the extra 2" and because it is 48" long, would it make it more flimsy, but I guess it wouldn't, I am a little worried to order the wrong flex and be stuck with it, but at a $119.00 tag I can live with it.

Thanks

Yep, it certainly wasn't a wet noodle in my hands that's for sure. If I was going to buy one I'd probably go X stiff, but that's what I play in my driver too. The guy I was borrowing it from probably swings about 100 and he had the stiff. It worked fine for him.

Yep, it certainly wasn't a wet noodle in my hands that's for sure. If I was going to buy one I'd probably go X stiff, but that's what I play in my driver too. The guy I was borrowing it from probably swings about 100 and he had the stiff. It worked fine for him.

Thanks for the info.

I found I swung the same speed with this and standard 45" drivers. Even though logic would say that you would swing faster, but I think mentally that I slowed down to make sure I made decent contact. I would say getting comfortable with it, my SS would speed up. The shaft is a high launching shaft. I always wanted to see this driver be popular, but I couldn't handle it.

Hi guys, new poster here. Thought I'd weigh in on this thread, as I play a Long Tom driver.

I know many people, including the guys I play with, are put off by the Long Tom's 48" shaft. My swing speed is 114, I play the 9 degree Long Tom with a stiff shaft and my drives are typically about 280 yards, in the middle of the fairway. The kicker is I'm 5'5". My backswing has always been low and flat and hitting a driver has always been easy for me. Before I bought the Long Tom, I was playing a Taylormade R9 SuperTri (N setting). I gained 15-20 yards by switching to the Long Tom. I've swung several clubs since my Long Tom and haven't found anything that can keep up with it.

As far as controlling the longer shaft, I believe if you struggle controlling a standard length driver, that trouble will be amplified with the longer shaft. If you control a standard length driver well, the additional 3 inches of the Long Tom isn't enough to drastically change that. Personally, I love this driver, but it's not for everyone. If you're reading this, maybe you're considering buying a used Long Tom, and my advice is consider how well you control a standard length driver. If your drives are typically on point, you'll appreciate the added distance. However, if your drives tend to get wide, this driver will probably make that problem worse.

I still kick my self in the butt. I had a chance to buy a Long Tom with a stiff Fuel shaft for $50.00.

Kind of a blast from the past, but I picked up a LT driver to mess with. I loved the LT2w (still own it and probably will never sell it) and really like the style of the head and the shaft. I decided to take a flier on the driver and found one in 10.

I took it to the range and had probably the best session I have ever had driving the golf ball. Just high fade after high fade, with a one way miss (push). The trajectory is high, with lots of distance coming from carry.

On the course, it was the same. I could aim down the left side and go. In round one, I was 5/14 with fairways, but 5 of those were first cut type misses that ran through the fairway. More importantly zero resulted in penalty strokes and only one resulted in a more conservative second shot. I will take that any day. It was a large factor in me putting up my low score for the year thus far.

What is most intriguing is the center of the face contact I get. Most of the balls are clustered right around the center. I think I know I can't really go after it, so I just take a nice, slow, smooth swing which produces pretty repeatable results.

I can hit my current gamer longer if I go after it, but I also introduce the big miss. I have to swing the LT smoothly and with a low take away, so I think my mechanics are actually more consistently better.

It's early, but this will be an interesting experiment.......... It's probably one to keep minimally for scrambles.....

Ryebread - if you want a backup my local shop has a used 10.5 R for $99. ;)

Back