Cobra Golf Long Tom Driver Preview

There's a big difference between 46.25'' and 48''. I look forward to more testing b/c I think this is a complete gimmick. I'm also assuming that testing will prove that.

There's a big difference between 46.25'' and 48''. I look forward to more testing b/c I think this is a complete gimmick. I'm also assuming that testing will prove that.

There is a difference. Just as there is one between 45 and 46.25. Its marketed as the 4 ft shaft as a niche product. I just dont understand what the issue is. You have said you dont understand what the benefit is for amateur golfers. What is the benefit for most amateur golfers in blades? X-Stiff shafts? In the end it comes down to choices and if it works for someone, there could be huge gains in distances based on length. Just as there was when someone was going from 45 to 46.25

Another way to look at it is this. In another thread someone said "they would have to turn their man card in if they didnt hit their driver at least once per round". So obviously score is not the only thing being looked at in the world of golf. Its about distance and if this helps achieve it for a select few, then all the power to them. Will it work for all? Or even many? Not sure, but I have my thoughts. Time will tell I guess.

Well Rock on with the Long Tom then. Fwiw, the difference between 45 and 46.25'' is 1.25''. Whereas the difference between 46.25 and 48'' is 1.75''. IMO, that's a significant difference. You're right though, it has its niche and its market, but I will question it b/c I can, and b/c I think that this is the kind of feedback that companies need to hear. Not everything is going to be well received.

I tell ya, my father-in-law could bomb this. He plays with an extended driver already, has a compact swing (could swing in a phone box), and gets the most out of it. So consistent it makes my eyes bleed.

Is Cobra looking at this as purely a 'niche product' or are they hoping to start a new trend and get some respectable sales numbers out of this?

Is Cobra looking at this as purely a 'niche product' or are they hoping to start a new trend and get some respectable sales numbers out of this?

Yeah, that's something I was wondering too. For some reason i just don't see this being a 'block-buster'.

I dont think they have any idea really. Shot in the dark maybe.

I notice a tremendous difference from 45 to 46.25 it is just much more difficult for me to hit consistent. I wouldn't even try anything over 46. I am sure there are people out there who will hit this a mile but I would think they would have to be taller, leaner, talented golfers. (Like Watson or Johnson). Does PGA have shaft length limits?

I am in the intrigued group. I will not write off anything to be honest and this is one example. If I find this driver to test I will swing it and see what happens.

I notice a tremendous difference from 45 to 46.25 it is just much more difficult for me to hit consistent. I wouldn't even try anything over 46. I am sure there are people out there who will hit this a mile but I would think they would have to be taller, leaner, talented golfers. (Like Watson or Johnson). Does PGA have shaft length limits?

THIS! Ding ding ding.

Im not sure anybody knows the answer to that. I think it is viewed as "niche" based on their other offerings, but at the same time, that may change.
Distance is all people talk about, so lets give them the most blinding distance available based on the rules. Then lets hear the marketing that other companies do as to having the longest driver out there. To me the "blinding distance drivers" are the same as purchasing because its the most used ABC product on tour. Neither will necessarily help the average consumer lower their scores and in the end, could actually hurt them. But when they hit that golf ball pure and it spins back the 1 time out of 67 times, they will recognize it and say "thats why I play ABC ball". The same thing could happen here.

Im not sure anybody knows the answer to that. I think it is viewed as "niche" based on their other offerings, but at the same time, that may change.
Distance is all people talk about, so lets give them the most blinding distance available based on the rules. Then lets hear the marketing that other companies do as to having the longest driver out there. To me the "blinding distance drivers" are the same as purchasing because its the most used ABC product on tour. Neither will necessarily help the average consumer lower their scores and in the end, could actually hurt them. But when they hit that golf ball pure and it spins back the 1 time out of 67 times, they will recognize it and say "thats why I play ABC ball". The same thing could happen here.

In all seriousness this makes complete sense.

that's a great point. that one 300yd drive out of every 40 could justify the driver for some players who may not realize they're doing their game a big wrong

Another issue with this driver could be how would it fit into a travel bag or even in a bag with a rain hood? too long?

that's a great point. that one 300yd drive out of every 40 could justify the driver for some players who may not realize they're doing their game a big wrong

Another issue with this driver could be how would it fit into a travel bag or even in a bag with a rain hood? too long?

I mean lets face it. THPers for the most part are not average consumer golfers. But most of them struggle with a 46.25 driver just like they will a 48. Is it going to be more pronounced? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. But if they kill that one ball, they will be back for more and proclaiming how awesome and long the club is. That is what we as golfers do of course.

It does fit in my travel bag actually and the trunk of my car (angled)

I think the bigger question is (I think I already know the answer to it though) is if this was an invention by say TM, Nike, or Callaway would people be writing it off just as fast or would this be 'innovative?'

I mean lets face it. THPers for the most part are not average consumer golfers. But most of them struggle with a 46.25 driver just like they will a 48. Is it going to be more pronounced? Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell. But if they kill that one ball, they will be back for more and proclaiming how awesome and long the club is. That is what we as golfers do of course.

It does fit in my travel bag actually and the trunk of my car (angled)

I think the bigger question is (I think I already know the answer to it though) is if this was an invention by say TM, Nike, or Callaway would people be writing it off just as fast or would this be 'innovative?'

That is a very interesting question! I think more people would be receptive

There would still be doubt from many, but I definitely think it would be more accepted if it was white.

I think the reality is, people would be a lot less skeptical of it if it was an offering from one of those companies. Ultimately to me anyway, this whole thing sounds like a chance Cobra is taking. They are releasing a small quantity to see demand and feedback from it's use, if it turns out to be a hit I could see them throwing this thing into mass production and possibly even other club makers joining the 48" club.

For me 48" is just too long, I am giving 46" another go with my Razr Hawk and so far the results are much better than they were with my S2 however I partially attribute that to the completely different shafts between the 2. The projectx 6.0 is so much more stable and stiffer(obviously) than the regular flex Fit-On shaft that I had in the S2. What I'm getting at is, I'd pass on this driver regardless of who made it based on what works and what doesn't work for my game on a CONSISTENT basis. I'd rather have 8-12 good driver shots a round, rather than 1 or 2 that is an absolute monster.

Gimmick or not, I still would love to see some actual data about the performance of this club. Do average golfers really see increased distance and, are the distance gains worth any potential decrease in accuracy? Until we have those data, we are all just speculating. Personally, I would really like to hit this thing myself. I'm pretty straight with my driver, but my typical miss is right. I would presume a longer shaft would exaggerate that but, until I try it, there is no way to know. I don't know what kind of tech Cobra has put into the head and/or shaft to compensate for the increased length.

I think the history behind the company and its success speaks for itself and therefor would warrant more consideration. But I still think there would be doubt and concern with the 48" part of it. Plus it would have a better name.

There would still be doubt from many, but I definitely think it would be more accepted if it was white.

Probably actually true strangely enough Hawk.

Yupp if it had TM on it, people would not be ragging so hard on it like they are under the cobra brand name.

I think this question will be asked in 95% of the threads where Cobra tries to bring something different to the table. And 95% of that time we all know the answer.

I think this question will be asked in 95% of the threads where Cobra tries to bring something different to the table. And 95% of that time we all know the answer.

I know this is not for everyone but if I found a club I could hit and lower my score and it was made by Fisher Price, I would hit it. I could care less about name. It's all about game. There is no chance I would be able to hit this club.

Back