I honestly don’t try to do either. I really visualize hitting a ball that goes in the cup and then swing based on the vision in my head.

Die it in.

I tend to be a die it in putter. Working to push that out a little bit.

I’m in the 12-18” past camp, unless it’s a fast down hill putt, then I try to cozy it in.

I’m more of a die it in putter. Our greens for February are freaking fast. What I think is die in speed at times can run by a couple feet.

My preference is to have the ball die as it goes in.

I always try to hit it about a foot past, but I'm more of a die it guy than try to always hit it past

Still getting used to it on different green speeds but I like to die it in the hole.

That explains my misses by inches that happens once or twice a round.

I also find if I’m trying to hit it just past that it tends to go further than I want, the die it in the hole miss is still inches past when it misses. Trying to hit it into the hole misses by feet and coming back those feet are not always enjoyable.

You can’t make it if you don’t get it there. The object for me is to have enough speed to maintain my line and go past the hole no more than 18” to 2’. The only time this changes is if I’m above the hole and going past will have devastating consequences.

A lot of rounds I'm playing by myself and don't pull the pin unless it's a birdie putt. Because of that pin I'm trying to die it in and i keep the same stroke without the pin.

Die it in

Run it past. Can make a putt if it is short. All about pace of course, but try to keep it 12" or shorter when running it past.

After leaving putts short for decades, I am a 'get it past 6-12"' guy now. it doesn't always happen, but that whole bit of 'Never up, never in' is true.

Flat or uphill putts, I try to roll it past a foot or so. Downhill putts, die it at the hole.

"Never up, never in."
"99% of the putts that don't make it to the hole never drop. "
"Bang it through the break."
I guess I am a hit it past kind of guy.
There is absolutely no excuse for not making it to the hole other than a decided lack of testosterone. ;)

what on earth does testosterone have to do with an intellectual decision?

I have seen a lot of die it in the hole guys who are very good putters and seen a monstrous number of three putt machines with the never up never in philosophy because they run it well past the hole and have a 50/50 or worse putt coming back. Blow it 8' past and "at least I gave it a chance".

No...no you didn't. A putt at that speed has a miniscule strike location to drop. It is far more likely to rim out and shoot off several feet in a random direction than drop.

Statistically speaking, studies have shown that the optimal capture speed for the hole is at most 6" past which is much closer to "die it in" than run it past.

Unless you are saying people with testosterone are stupid and it is somehow better to 3-putt than 2-putt with a tap in for the second?

Not going to lie, that "never up never in" is literally the only piece of trash talk that has worked against me in any sport and took me a long time to get to where I ignore the guy who used it. Along with "never leave an eagle putt short" and a host of other equally ignorant "advice".

I like to think the proper speed for any golfer is the one that puts the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes which has zero correlation with testosterone, estrogen or the alignment of the planets in conjunction with the phase of the moon in the second phase on the third Thursday after the first fall harvest after leap year.

I know you are supposed to run it past and I'm trying to get better at it but I have the tendency to die it into the hole or roll it 6ft past

I had a putting lesson years ago and he did mention ideal putt speed will go 12"-18" past the hole. The "perfect" putt on the Putt Out trainer is 15"-18" past the hole I believe.

Personally I like to send it 6 feet past the hole.

I try to die it at the hole. Bad putts with the right speed aren't so bad

I practice on a popular municipal course where the holes aren't moved often enough to make dying at the hole an effective putting strategy.
I'll send it past the hole unless doing that leaves me with a tough downhill putt.

My home course’s greens have a lot of break so rarely it seems that you get a flat, straight putt. For that reason speed and line is very important so I would say as a result I am a “die it in” guy. If I have a flat putt I will be more aggressive and will go by the hole 6-12”.

I am not really sure I try to do either honestly..

Pace, pace, pace. I think a big part of my putting woes is my fear of blowing it past the hole so my preference has always been to die it at the hole. This would obviously change in some different circumstances on the green but in general yes

what on earth does testosterone have to do with an intellectual decision?

I have seen a lot of die it in the hole guys who are very good putters and seen a monstrous number of three putt machines with the never up never in philosophy because they run it well past the hole and have a 50/50 or worse putt coming back. Blow it 8' past and "at least I gave it a chance".

No...no you didn't. A putt at that speed has a miniscule strike location to drop. It is far more likely to rim out and shoot off several feet in a random direction than drop.

Statistically speaking, studies have shown that the optimal capture speed for the hole is at most 6" past which is much closer to "die it in" than run it past.

Unless you are saying people with testosterone are stupid and it is somehow better to 3-putt than 2-putt with a tap in for the second?

Not going to lie, that "never up never in" is literally the only piece of trash talk that has worked against me in any sport and took me a long time to get to where I ignore the guy who used it. Along with "never leave an eagle putt short" and a host of other equally ignorant "advice".

I like to think the proper speed for any golfer is the one that puts the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes which has zero correlation with testosterone, estrogen or the alignment of the planets in conjunction with the phase of the moon in the second phase on the third Thursday after the first fall harvest after leap year.
Aparrently you don't understand the wink....
But I have NEVER seen a putt left short drop. Ever.

Back