I tend to try and die it in. I also miss short a lot.

I try to get it just past the cup. On downhill putts i like to try and dye it at the cup.

I tend to die it at the hole. I’d rather not as nearly all of the very best putters I’ve played with have very assertive strokes. But for myself, when I hit it harder I lose all sense of the subtle breaks in medium putts and short putts with some turn to them.

Flat or uphill I will run it by if I miss, down hill or lots of break, I try to die it in.

I’d prefer it to die in the hole. Not sure if this is sound strategy or not, but I like, if needed, to have my next putt using the same read.

A foot or so past, the odds kinda make that the best answer in my mind.

what on earth does testosterone have to do with an intellectual decision?

I have seen a lot of die it in the hole guys who are very good putters and seen a monstrous number of three putt machines with the never up never in philosophy because they run it well past the hole and have a 50/50 or worse putt coming back. Blow it 8' past and "at least I gave it a chance".

No...no you didn't. A putt at that speed has a miniscule strike location to drop. It is far more likely to rim out and shoot off several feet in a random direction than drop.

Statistically speaking, studies have shown that the optimal capture speed for the hole is at most 6" past which is much closer to "die it in" than run it past.

Unless you are saying people with testosterone are stupid and it is somehow better to 3-putt than 2-putt with a tap in for the second?

Not going to lie, that "never up never in" is literally the only piece of trash talk that has worked against me in any sport and took me a long time to get to where I ignore the guy who used it. Along with "never leave an eagle putt short" and a host of other equally ignorant "advice".

I like to think the proper speed for any golfer is the one that puts the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes which has zero correlation with testosterone, estrogen or the alignment of the planets in conjunction with the phase of the moon in the second phase on the third Thursday after the first fall harvest after leap year.
That reaction seems a bit much.

Food for thought when you are putting. Do you like to "die" your putts into the hole or do you like think you can run it past the 6 inches or foot past the hole.

I believe most consistently good putters lag-die their long putts but inside 15 feet their miss is past the hole.

just right pass the hole. Heck I don't want to be one of those guys that failed to get it to the hole the last 1 - 2". I want to give it at least a chance.

I'm not sure I have a strategy either way. I pick line and speed then hit the putt. I would think that is more of a die in the cup result, especially for longer putts. Mid-range or shorter putts I believe I'm a bit more agressive.

I die it, but there are many times I tell myself that I should have putted it harder, because it would have dropped in. :mad:

Slow death into the hole with possible minimal run by if offline or misread. Long lag putts I intend to snuggle as close as I can, coming up short is better for me than going well past.

what on earth does testosterone have to do with an intellectual decision?

I have seen a lot of die it in the hole guys who are very good putters and seen a monstrous number of three putt machines with the never up never in philosophy because they run it well past the hole and have a 50/50 or worse putt coming back. Blow it 8' past and "at least I gave it a chance".

No...no you didn't. A putt at that speed has a miniscule strike location to drop. It is far more likely to rim out and shoot off several feet in a random direction than drop.

Statistically speaking, studies have shown that the optimal capture speed for the hole is at most 6" past which is much closer to "die it in" than run it past.

Unless you are saying people with testosterone are stupid and it is somehow better to 3-putt than 2-putt with a tap in for the second?

Not going to lie, that "never up never in" is literally the only piece of trash talk that has worked against me in any sport and took me a long time to get to where I ignore the guy who used it. Along with "never leave an eagle putt short" and a host of other equally ignorant "advice".

I like to think the proper speed for any golfer is the one that puts the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes which has zero correlation with testosterone, estrogen or the alignment of the planets in conjunction with the phase of the moon in the second phase on the third Thursday after the first fall harvest after leap year.
Just Relax Chill Out GIF

I’m a run it past guy, but want to be more of a die it in guy.

I'm a die it at the hole guy. Outside of 10 feet the odds of actually making the putt are small so dying it at the hole leaves a kick in putt. Also if the putt catches any part of the hole it is going slow enough to fall in.

For myself I see dying it at the hole does a few beneficial things for my putting game.
  1. Simplifies strategy. I'm not picking and choosing what strategy to use on different putts. Putts dying at the hole catch a piece of the hole and get lucky a lot.
  2. Playing more break and not ramming it through the break. Hitting it through the break makes the hole play really small. The ball is rarely going fast enough to lip out putts or miss the hole entirely and have to watch the ball motoring past to a distance that misses come into play.
  3. Less 3 putts. Once I was good at dying it at the hole I largely eliminated 3 putts. Not leaving 4-6 foot comeback putts makes a big difference over an 18 hole round.

I try and let it die into the cup but sometimes I have a brain explosion and hit it a mile past.

I guess I am die it at the hole but my primary goal is to have the ball breaking to the hole as it dying. Makes me feel that I at least read the break correctly

Depends on the putt I suppose. If it’s shorter with minimal break I might try to hit the break out meaning it’ll obviously roll by if missed, but if it has a lot of break I’ll die it in as it makes the area to roll it in wider in my mind.
This.

Depends on what’s happening beyond the whole. Mostly I’ll go at a pace to get past the whole slightly, reasoning that you miss 100% of the putts you leave short. If the backside is wonky, falling into the hole on the last roll is sublime.

If I miss and I don't get the ball past the hole, I mishit it.

I try to die it at the hole. Bad putts with the right speed aren't so bad
Bad putts with the right speed leave you a lot of tap-ins and stress-free 2 putts.

Back