More times than not on shorter putts I am making it die in the hole but trying to get better at running it past the hole 12-18 inches. Now longer lag putts I struggle not to blow it past the hole.

I always say die in the hole, but for me that means getting it to stop under a foot past when it misses vs going 3 or more feet past.

I typically like to put a Tee 1' past the hole and focus on hitting it to there.

I usually try to run it past the hole a foot or two.

When I am putting my best, it seems I see the line better when the putt is just making it to the hole.

I guess I would be classified as a die it at the hole style putter. (Downhill putts are an entirely different story)

I try to hit it past if I can.

I prefer to die it in when there is break involved, though on straight putts I tend to aim for the back of the cup.

I'm an aggressive putter. I don't mind having 1' -3' foot come back putt on a miss. I practice these short putts a lot.

I found that too many times on trying to die the ball at the hole, just as I thought the ball was going to drop in, it would roll off to one side or the other.

Some workers do not intall the cup correctly. They leave a higher ring around the hole. However, most of the time, the immediate area around hole has had a lot of foot traffic, that can interfere with slower rolling ball's track.

By adding enough speed to roll the ball past the hole, that extra speed takes out any break, or other damage around the hole.

Obviously I do slow roll the ball on down hill putts for obvious reasons.

I would rather be a run it a little past putter but almost always end up dieing it at the hole.

...Some workers do not intall the cup correctly. They leave a higher ring around the hole. However, most of the time, the immediate area around hole has had a lot of foot traffic, that can interfere with slower rolling ball's track....
My previous home course was infamous for the "volcano" cups. We even had a term for it when your ball rolled off to one side or another - the greenskeeper's name was Jake, so we would say "You got Jaked".

One of the guys who played our Saturday money games got tired of it, and he would go on every green and stomp all around the hole to flatten it out. You wanted to be in his group, because putting after he was done was almost like hitting into a funnel - if you got it anywhere near the hole it would drop after he got done 'doctoring' the greens. :ROFLMAO:

I've long been the type of putter to let it fall in the front of the hole.

Seems like this does add a bit of potential at that speed to lose my line, but the lack of stress on the next putt is definitely a lifestyle i love to live.

Food for thought when you are putting. Do you like to "die" your putts into the hole or do you like think you can run it past the 6 inches or foot past the hole.
2 inches beyond the hole

Good topic, I've been working a lot on putting the past few months. As stated a few times, this can be very situational decision. Flat putt 8 feet or less odds are best to run 1 foot past. Longer flat putts say 20ft and over, try to run it past but get within 2 feet. Longer uphill putts, try to "get it there" also, but often end up short because of habit. Downhill putts, let it drop in because running these by could end up Like Rory's 3 putt from 2 feet. :ROFLMAO:

I’m definitely a die it at the hole putter but this year I hope to change that. Collected a lot of data and I miss a majority of my putts short via too short/low (too little pace) versus long/high

Was always a die it in hole putter. Going to try to be more aggressive now, and look for any misses to be 1ft over but it is going to be a mindset shift for me.

Fantastic feedback. Sounds as if this should be a topic on The Putting Couch podcast. Thanks THP family for the input!

Something in my head doesn't grok that a putting cup is 4 inches wide. When I think "die it!", I often end up short, but my speed is pretty good. When I think "put it past the hole! Give it a chance!", I race it 6 feet past the hole and set up a 3-jack.

Food for thought when you are putting. Do you like to "die" your putts into the hole or do you like think you can run it past the 6 inches or foot past the hole.
I am a Dying into the hole guy. My focus is either to make it or leave myself with a short makeable putt.

I'm definitely one to "die" the ball into the hole. The good is that I rarely 3-putt; the bad is that I don't make as many putts as I feel I should.

I think there is a holing speed for putts. It does depend a bit on the type of put. Something with break downhill I am trying to die it in as that opens up the hole a bit. Uphill I can tend to be a bit more aggressive.

I'm definitely in the "die it in" group.

Past - Just can't get the Pelz theories out of me now that they are Ingrained.

Back