Edel Array Fitting

@Wildcat I was looking at specs for these (again) this morning. The 20g weights put you at 380g head weight. Is that normal for you or more than what you're used to?

@Wildcat I was looking at specs for these (again) this morning. The 20g weights put you at 380g head weight. Is that normal for you or more than what you're used to?
My EAS 5.0 had a weight of 360 grams (one 25 gram weight). I like heavier putters I guess. I tried the 15, 20, and 25 gram weights and best rolls and feel came from 20. We even tried a 20 and 15 and a 20 and 25 gram weight combos for fun.

Anyone know the turn around time for the putter delivery if you order it at the time of your fitting?

My EAS 5.0 had a weight of 360 grams (one 25 gram weight). I like heavier putters I guess. I tried the 15, 20, and 25 gram weights and best rolls and feel came from 20. We even tried a 20 and 15 and a 20 and 25 gram weight combos for fun.
I've got back and forth just tinkering but no real science behind it other than feel. I am going to throw myself at the mercy of the process though and let the fitter put me in the best fit with as little bias as possible. One thing I'm really curious about is the round grip. It will definitely be discussed.

Anyone know the turn around time for the putter delivery if you order it at the time of your fitting?
Edel Website says ships within two weeks. Not sure if you go through fitter.

Love reading the fitting process and results posts! I’m excited to get a fitting too! Time to reach out to my local GOLFTEC again

@EdelBlake how popular are the round grips vs the flat? If I got the aim bias sorted out in my fitting with the flat grip, do you think going to the round could/would negatively change the result of my fitting since it all kind of works together or is that generally not a concern?

Intrigued by the round grip and want to test it out with the Array, but also dont want to go in the wrong direction given the fitting was all done with the flat.

@EdelBlake how popular are the round grips vs the flat? If I got the aim bias sorted out in my fitting with the flat grip, do you think going to the round could/would negatively change the result of my fitting since it all kind of works together or is that generally not a concern?

Intrigued by the round grip and want to test it out with the Array, but also dont want to go in the wrong direction given the fitting was all done with the flat.
The round grips are our most popular option. It was developed to improve aim consistency by removing any predetermined placement of your hands. I would not be as concerned going from flat to round as I would be going from round to flat.

Here's a podcast with David where he dove into how grips affect aim: https://edel-golf-podcast.simplecast.com/episodes/the-hidden-influence-of-putter-grips-on-aim

The round grips are our most popular option. It was developed to improve aim consistency by removing any predetermined placement of your hands. I would not be as concerned going from flat to round as I would be going from round to flat.

Here's a podcast with David where he dove into how grips affect aim: https://edel-golf-podcast.simplecast.com/episodes/the-hidden-influence-of-putter-grips-on-aim
It also eliminates the idea of having to get the flat grip absolutely straight on the putter.

Good to know. I’ve been reading up and started watching some of those grip videos with David and just wanted to make sure before I commit to it. Think I’ll give the round grip a go.

It also eliminates the idea of having to get the flat grip absolutely straight on the putter.
I definitely have played with a flat grip or two that were crooked and some that probably were straight but in my head felt like were crooked. Can just get rid of that all together.

Was at Golftec today for my wedges. They had the putters in but not the kit as far as my fitter knew. He was confident they'd have the kit by Thursday though. He offered to let me see the putters but I declined. I want to go in as cold as possible for my fitting.

Alright so had my putter fitting tonight. When I got there the fitter had me putt some to warm up while he got set up. They just got the fitting kits in today so I was the first person they'd fit but the fitter said that they'd been testing all the different combinations earlier in the day. We talked a little bit about my putting, how I got into my current putter, and a bit about the new fitting system. He said that the new system is much more straight forward than the previous system. He also mentioned that they've already had more inquiries about the Array line than he remembered early on with EAS, so hopefully that's a sign that the message is working and people are noticing.

At this point we jumped into the process. We started with the alignment mirror to make sure that my setup was good and my eyes were lined up inside the ball. He didn't hate my setup but said no shorter than 35". We messed with some 36" options to see how they looked, mostly because I asked. I even rolled a 36" version of my gamer a bit but based on the results and my posture decided that 35" was the number.

Now we got into analyzing my stroke. Started with my gamer so he could get a feel for my stroke type and any tendencies I might have. Turns out my stroke type is long linear, which jives with my most recent putter fitting. In Edel's words:

long-liner_4d4c33b8-91e0-4ea0-96f6-64809afe1885.png

Long Linear putters have a longer backstroke and an abbreviated follow-through with increased acceleration. These golfers benefit from a heavier head with little to no internal shaft weight.
Feel like I'm a bit more SBST than the graphic. I've been working a lot on tightening up my follow through and finishing with the face towards the hole.

We then got the tripod laser out and started working with my gamer on rolling putts down the line. I did ok here but had some that would roll off to the left a little early. We started trying out the different Array hosel types and head shapes. We eliminated the B-1 and F-1 pretty quickly. I liked the look of the F-1, I mean I liked the look of all of them, but the results were pretty clear. After a some back and forth between the F-2 and F-3 we settled on the F-3. Based on gaming a similar shape over the years, I thought for sure going in it would be the F-2 based on the pictures online. I gave into the process and the fitter's feedback though, and the F-3 turned out to be the winner. I really liked the look of this shape behind the ball, and the putts I rolled with it reflected that confidence.

To anyone who's ever met me it should be no surprise that I fit best into the single bend hosel. I've dabbled with other options but never been actually fit into anything other than a face balanced single or double bend setup.

There was a hiccup with the laser/mirror setup. It wasn't working so we tested alignment with the tripod laser. I was a little bummed but that's life. Going through all the plates we quickly eliminated a couple. The blank and the 3 dot were quick scratches. From there we kept going until we settled on the one that felt most natural and produced the best roll down the line. I'm a fan of the racing stripe look here lately. I thought the three lines would be the winner walking in, but we ended up on the single line plate. I was more consistently starting my putts on the line with this setup than any other configuration.

The last part of the fitting was the weighting. We went back and forth between the two holes and I rolled a bunch of short to mid range putts while trying the different options. It ended up heavier than I expected here for sure, but the entire time he was just making adjustments and handing it to me without saying what they were so I could get a natural feel for the setup.

By the end I felt like I was draining just about everything put in front of me inside 6-7 feet with the F-3. We made sure to move around a bit so I wasn't just hitting down the same line every time without moving my feet and resetting my stance. We did do some comparison and I was still pretty good with my gamer (that I was fit into a few months ago). The F-3 was point and shoot, where I tended to fidget with my gamer before settling on a line. The make percentage with the F-3 was better from all points and more so the further out we moved.

We did most all of the fitting with the dual layer flat standard grip but after some discussion I've decided to give the round grip a go. I'm already playing a superstoke, which is nearly round right? I've also always been curious about the benefits of the round grip for alignment, but never given it a go. Time to change that.

We covered so much ground during the fitting. The process and the modularity of these putters really lets fitters dial in so much for you. I absolutely cannot wait to get this thing in hand. Waiting for the Quest Cup will be a long couple of months!

Final Config:
Putter Head: F-3
Weight: 390g (25g weights)
Length: 35”
Lie: Standard
Grip: Edel Dual Layer Round Standard
Hosel & Alignment: Single Bend w/ One Line

Last edited:
Alright so had my putter fitting tonight. When I got there the fitter had me putt some to warm up while he got set up. They just got the fitting kits in today so I was the first person they'd fit but the fitter said that they'd been testing all the different combinations earlier in the day. We talked a little bit about my putting, how I got into my current putter, and a bit about the new fitting system. He said that the new system is much more straight forward than the previous system. He also mentioned that they've already had more inquiries about the Array line than he remembered early on with EAS, so hopefully that's a sign that the message is working and people are noticing.

At this point we jumped into the process. We started with the alignment mirror to make sure that my setup was good and my eyes were lined up inside the ball. He didn't hate my setup but said no shorter than 35". We messed with some 36" options to see how they looked, mostly because I asked. I even rolled a 36" version of my gamer a bit but based on the results and my posture decided that 35" was the number.

Now we got into analyzing my stroke. Started with my gamer so he could get a feel for my stroke type and any tendencies I might have. Turns out my stroke type is long linear, which jives with my most recent putter fitting. In Edel's words:

Feel like I'm a bit more SBST than the graphic. I've been working a lot on tightening up my follow through and finishing with the face towards the hole.

We then got the tripod laser out and started working with my gamer on rolling putts down the line. I did ok here but had some that would roll off to the left a little early. We started trying out the different Array hosel types and head shapes. We eliminated the B-1 and F-1 pretty quickly. I liked the look of the F-1, I mean I liked the look of all of them, but the results were pretty clear. After a some back and forth between the F-2 and F-3 we settled on the F-3. Based on gaming a similar shape over the years, I thought for sure going in it would be the F-2 based on the pictures online. I gave into the process and the fitter's feedback though, and the F-3 turned out to be the winner. I really liked the look of this shape behind the ball, and the putts I rolled with it reflected that confidence.

To anyone who's ever met me it should be no surprise that I fit best into the single bend hosel. I've dabbled with other options but never been actually fit into anything other than a face balanced single or double bend setup.

There was a hiccup with the laser/mirror setup. It wasn't working so we tested alignment with the tripod laser. I was a little bummed but that's life. Going through all the plates we quickly eliminated a couple. The blank and the 3 dot were quick scratches. From there we kept going until we settled on the one that felt most natural and produced the best roll down the line. I'm a fan of the racing stripe look here lately. I thought the three lines would be the winner walking in, but we ended up on the single line plate. I was more consistently starting my putts on the line with this setup than any other configuration.

The last part of the fitting was the weighting. We went back and forth between the two holes and I rolled a bunch of short to mid range putts while trying the different options. It ended up heavier than I expected here for sure, but the entire time he was just making adjustments and handing it to me without saying what they were so I could get a natural feel for the setup.

By the end I felt like I was draining just about everything put in front of me inside 6-7 feet with the F-3. We made sure to move around a bit so I wasn't just hitting down the same line every time without moving my feet and resetting my stance. We did do some comparison and I was still pretty good with my gamer (that I was fit into a few months ago). The F-3 was point and shoot, where I tended to fidget with my gamer before settling on a line. The make percentage with the F-3 was better from all points and more so the further out we moved.

We did most all of the fitting with the dual layer flat standard grip but after some discussion I've decided to give the round grip a go. I'm already playing a superstoke, which is nearly round right? I've also always been curious about the benefits of the round grip for alignment, but never given it a go. Time to change that.

We covered so much ground during the fitting. The process and the modularity of these putters really lets fitters dial in so much for you. I absolutely cannot wait to get this thing in hand. Waiting for the Quest Cup will be a long couple of months!
Nice write up! How much fun was the Array fitting? I can’t wait till we get to put the putters in the bag.

Nice write up! How much fun was the Array fitting? I can’t wait till we get to put the putters in the bag.
It was a ton of fun and I really enjoyed trying out all the different configurations. Waiting for these will be tough.

IMG_4329.jpeg

Got to see the new setup at my Club Champion this morning when I picked up my new driver. They had a few out so I rolled a few while waiting. They didn’t get the screws to lock everything down, so I’ll wait until they get those and after the Goat Cup and then maybe…. Felt great, look great. Really curious to give it a go.

View attachment 9244287

Got to see the new setup at my Club Champion this morning when I picked up my new driver. They had a few out so I rolled a few while waiting. They didn’t get the screws to lock everything down, so I’ll wait until they get those and after the Goat Cup and then maybe…. Felt great, look great. Really curious to give it a go.
Thats actually the older setup, but they do have some of the Array putters.

Thats actually the older setup, but they do have some of the Array putters.
Yeah they’re out and they have the case, they just don’t leave it on the floor. 👍🏻

Yeah they’re out and they have the case, they just don’t leave it on the floor. 👍🏻
The Golftec I got fit at had done the same thing and repurposed the toolbox for the Array stuff. At least the drawers I saw anyways.

The Golftec I got fit at had done the same thing and repurposed the toolbox for the Array stuff. At least the drawers I saw anyways.
It certainly makes for an attention grabbing display. Nothing else like it. Can’t help but look at it and be curious.

Final Config:
Putter Head: F-3
Weight: 390g (25g weights)
Length: 35”
Lie: Standard
Grip: Edel Dual Layer Round Standard
Hosel & Alignment: Single Bend w/ One Line
awesome write-up! sounds like a really fun and enlightening process. I'm hoping if a mallet works best for me, it's the F-3. 🤩

awesome write-up! sounds like a really fun and enlightening process. I'm hoping if a mallet works best for me, it's the F-3. 🤩
The more I had it in hand the more I fell in love with the shape. They're all great looking putters, but I like the way the F-3 looks with the alignment inserts the best I think.

Back