Forum Testing Signup - TaylorMade R11 Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
At THP, we believe that testing should be done not only by us, but also by the wonderful forum members and we have another new testing project. One of the cool features about being an active member of the THP Forum is that we look to you guys/gals, the consumers, to give feedback on equipment to golfers all around the world. Each month we send out iron sets, drivers, putters, trainings aids and golf balls to our active members to be a part of the THP Forum Member testing.

With so much positive feedback surrounding the TaylorMade R11 irons after The Morgan Cup, we thought doing an iron testing was in order. Here are some testimonials from the Morgan Cup participants that got a chance to play these irons pre-release.

Criteria
You must be able to play golf (either on course or driving range).
5 forum members will be chosen to be part of this testing.
You will be responsible for your shipping costs.
Both Steel & Graphite shafts will be tested.

Testing Process
If selected it will be your job to test the irons out (minimum of once per week) and update the official testing thread with feedback on your findings. You must be on the forum to answer questions throughout the testing period as well as discuss the equipment thoroughly. This is long term testing and will need updates for a period of a few months. At the end of the testing, the club will be yours to keep. However, failure to fulfill your duties as a tester will resort in the forfeiture of the clubs and you will be required to return the clubs to THP. If you are looking for info on what forum testing feedback should look like, check out the forum testing example thread here.

To participate you must be an active forum member or become an active forum member. Being active on THP has its benefits and product testing is one of them (monthly testing like this). If you are new, that is okay, being active is more than just tenure.

Rules
This is not a contest, so there really are no rules. All we ask is that you make a post in this thread and answer these questions. Please have an answer to all questions rather than things like "any".

1. What irons do you currently play?
2. What shafts are in those irons?
3. What do you look for in irons?
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts?
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level?

Keep in mind if you are not chosen for this, there will be plenty of opportunities in the future here at THP for testing and other product trials. Stay active and you will have a chance to be part of these awesome testings we do here.

Newsletter
If you sign up for the free THP Digital Newsletter that hits your inbox each month, you could find out what about testing before anybody else. You can sign up by clicking on the Newsletter tab at the top of the page.

The Testers
Testing will be done with both steel and graphite shafts.
A great mix of some veterans as well as first time testers in this group of 5. Two first time testers mixed in with 3 veterans should bring a great review thread filled with plentiful updates and solid unbiased consumer reviews. Thanks everybody.

TC - Stiff Steel
OEM Kevin - Regular Graphite
Buckjob - Stiff Steel
Tadashi - Stiff Steel
2 Shoes - Regular Graphite

Last edited:
Awesome!

Sent via Tapatalk

1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway Razr X Tours
2. What shafts are in those irons? TT GS95
3. What do you look for in irons? Distance, forgiveness and looks
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Yes, They felt great and gave the appearance of workability and distance all wrapped into one package.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? The testing process is classified but will involve on course testing, video reviews and write ups of many different aspects and I am a very active forum member now for two years.

What another amazing opportunity from TaylorMade golf and THP!! The existing reviews have me wanting to try these out eventually in a bad way!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Nike VR Pro Combo
2. What shafts are in those irons? Project X steel 5.0
3. What do you look for in irons? Combination of decent repeatable distance, forgiveness, and ability to stop quickly on approaches into greens
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? No, I have not yet; just followed the reviews so far by the Morgan Cup participants
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Testing process would consist of comparing these to my existing set and reporting back regarding turf interaction, ball flight, forgiveness, distance gaps, etc. I would use written reviews in addition to photo and video feedback. Activity level is very high - spend a ton of time on the forums and would have it no other way! I am on the range/course approximately 4 times a week and weather in TX is great for some long term testing!!

BIG thanks again to TaylorMade golf for another amazing opportunity!!

Opting out due to the lack of golf left in the season but looking forward to more reviews of these clubs! Thanks to THP and TM for this testing!

Excellent, Excellent opportunity!

Thanks to TaylorMade for allowing the THP Forum members to review and test this great line of clubs!! Good luck to everyone who hopes to be chosen...the five testers are in for a treat with these.

What a great opportunity. Thanks THP and Taylormade golf!

1. Taylormade burners 09
2. Stock regular stiffness, steel
3. I look for distance while not sacrificing forgiveness on mishits.
4. I have not hit them but from the THP reviews I can tell these have great distance in them with some forgiveness. I love the design look as well it is simple yet elegant.
5. I play twice a week with 2-3 range sessions. I would update the testing thread after every session and post daily while also answering any questions. I would take pictures and video of my sessions while also trying to see how well one can work the ball. I am highly active on THP. I am involved in many discussions, follow THP on both twitter and Facebook.I am on THP daily and I read the THP staff reviews when they pop up and am always staying on top of the forum and contribute when I can.

Thank you Taylormade and THP truly an amazing opportunity.

Last edited:
OH man I would soooo love to be a part of this, especially since these are at the top of my want list, but with only maybe a month left in the golf season here I am going to pass. :(

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno mx-200

2. What shafts are in those irons? TT DG SL-R300

Distance but also forgiveness. Nice looks, solid feel and ability to play from all types of lies

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Only the 6 iron. Tested with the burner 2.0 6 iron. While on the sim the r11s were shorter they felt better, looked better to me. Which ill trade off for the distances

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I'll take the irons on the course atleast twice a week, and the range once. While at my range sessions ill put these up against my mizzys in looks, distance, feel forgiveness. I'll take pix, video and post after each round and after the range. I'll update and comment to tm Facebook and Twitter and also answer any questions forum members may have.

I learned a lot from my first testing opportunity as a first timer and I know where I need to improve and feel I can be a good assest in this testing

Thanks THP and Taylormade

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

What a fantastic testing opportunity!!! Thanks :taylormade: and :thp:

TM Burner SuperLaunch

Stock steel - regular flex

Forgiveness, forgiveness and oh yeah, forgiveness. Looks are not as important to me as the possibility of making my game better.

I have not, but the great feedback from the MC'ers had me really wanting to give them a go.

I play usually 2 round per week. One on Friday which is really just a fun day cause I take my little guy when he gets outta school. That would be my most in-depth look at the irons where I can hit multiple shots from the fairway as well as the same shot with my current clubs to get a comparison that way. I can take pic's and video's to post in the thread as well as post on Facebook. I also play on the weekend either Saturday or Sunday with my normal golfing buddies. I'm on THP daily and am currently testing the GreenSaver divot repair tool.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno JPX 800-Pro
2. What shafts are in those irons? True Temper Dynalite Gold XP S300
3. What do you look for in irons? I like clean lines, good weighting(not too light, not too heavy), smaller footprint, feedback on miss hits.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not tried these yet. I saw them at the store yesterday and liked how they looked. The weighting seemed nice too.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I usually play or go to the range 3 days a week. So I can test them regularly. I can give daily reports, possibly some videos, and many pictures. I can give both a long and short term review. I am not afraid to truthful about the product. I can give updates through Facebook and Twitter(@dmills35). I am on the forums just about every day and try to post when I feel I can add something to a thread.

Thanks again THP and Taylormade for this awesome testing opportunity!

Awesome testing opportunity and congrats to those that get selected!

What a tremendous opportunity for 5 lucky members. Thank you to THP and Taylormade!!

Another great opportunity to get involved, a big thanks to :thp: and :taylormade:for making this possible!

1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway X22
2. What shafts are in those irons? Uniflex Steel
3. What do you look for in irons? Forgiveness, distance, and accuracy. Looks are a plus but I'd hit an old boot on a stick if it worked.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not yet had the chance to try them but based on feedback and the Morgan Cup testimonials they are definitely on my hit list for the next time I'm in a GolfGalaxy.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I am active on THP almost every day participating in threads and sharing my thoughts. As far as testing goes, the season is coming to an end here in MD but there is still a good 2 months of course time left and another month past that of range time before it gets too cold. In that time I would be at the course once a week or more often(since I have a bunch of use it or lose it time off of work to burn before the middle of December), as well as a weekly visit to the driving range as I continue to work on my game. I can promise plenty of pictures and frequent updates as the process goes on, with the possibilty of video as well.

1. What irons do you currently play? Srixon 701tours
2. What shafts are in those irons?KBS tours
3. What do you look for in irons?I'm a visual golfer so the setup is important to me. The feel of the club in my hand, I look for a good balance in the club. I like to think I can work the ball so I want playability in my irons.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Yes Thoughts? My initial thoughts are TM has a home run. The ball explodes off the face, they have a great weight and feel and they are very easy to hit. I worked the ball both ways and hit some half shots, I was extremely pleased.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Having hit these before, they will not need a break in period. They will be placed in the bag immediately. After making sure all my settings have been dialed in, there will great care placed on dialing in distances with a variety of swings. A video of the unboxing and some range time will be logged during testing. I will compare them to my current set up to see the differences they both have to offer.
I'm an active member with in the forum. Helped to organize an outing for Florida based THPrs. I contribute to THP on a daily basis and have no plans of letting up.
Thanks to Taylormade Golf and the hackers paradise for this awesome opportunity to provide some valuable feed back.

Kongfrontation

Wow :taylormade: and :thp: you guys are outdoing yourselves time and time again!

I currently play the Nike Victory Red Full Cavity Irons

True Temper Dynamic Gold High Launch S300 in Stiff Flex

I look for an iron that offers a thinner top-line, but some forgiveness. A bit of a cavity isn't an issue as I have that on my current iron set. Working the ball isnt my game so an iron than can hit the ball straight is what Im looking for.

I demoed the R11 6 Iron at the PGA Superstore last weekend when I went home. I really enjoyed the feeling off the ball off the iron and the sound it made. I think these irons could be a real winner for me.

For my testing I will take these to the range twice a week and play at a minimum 27 holes a week. I get to play at two golf courses here in Kansas City for free so I am at the course at least twice a week averaging between 27-36 holes a week. Also when it gets a bit colder I have a mat and a net to test these on. Also I am planning on taking these to the indoor golf facility here in Kansas City when it gets cold if I get picked. As for my activity on THP I am very active. Almost at 3000 posts through just a few months. I live on this site daily. I have been involved in testing before and am still updating the threads I have been selected for.

Thanks so much to :taylormade: and :thp: for this wonderful opportunity. I know the testers selected will do a phenomenal job with this. I cant wait to see who the lucky five are.

Awesome opportunity. I'm going to put in my info, but this will likely be the last time I do until the spring because I've only got until early to mid November to play before the snow is sure to close the courses around here.

1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway x-20s
2. What shafts are in those irons? Callaway uniflex steel
3. What do you look for in irons? Consistency, forgiveness, and the ability to shape shots with the long irons especially.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not tried them. I have tried the Burner 2.0 and liked the distance and forgiveness they had. Didn't play them enough to discover shaping abilities or consistency.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Within 2 days of getting the irons I would bring them out, hit a couple of buckets of balls to get an initial feel, and put them in the bag for a round that day. I would then do a thorough writeup with details on looks, setup, feel, distance compared to my old irons, movement, and solidness of hit. I read the site daily, and post a few times/day most days. I play 4-6 rounds per week (and will until early November at least).

Wow, what an awesome opportunity! Thanks THP and Taylormade for bringing some awesome irons to the table for testing.

Taylormade R9 and I just picked up a set of Taylormade TP R9s to try out.

I have the DG S300 shafts installed.

I look for a great looking iron in the bag. I like for it to have clean lines and not much distraction from the address view. I also like an iron that I can rely on. One that I can get the same results over and over again.

I did try a 6 iron last week. I thought it was a solid club. My dispersion was very similar to my R9s. The one thing that was different was the length. I seemed to be hitting about a club longer than my current 6 iron. This is one of the most intriguing factors of the iron to me. If I could get an iron that plays like my R9s and has a little bit more distance, I would be all about it. I think Taylormade has come out with a very solid set for all ranges of golfers.

I plan on testing these clubs each week on the range and on the course. I frequent the range at least once a week due to my unlimited range membership. I also get at least 18 holes in each week. I plan on providing the forum members with write ups and pictures after each of the testing sessions. I also plan on providing some videos for sound and play by play results on the course. I am really interested in seeing what kind of performance changes have advanced from the R9s or R9 TPs to the R11s. I think a lot of other R9 and R9 TP owners out there are wondering the same thing. They have been in love with their current irons and wonder if the advancements are worth the upgrade.

My activity level at THP is high. I spend most everyday on THP and enjoy talking about golf to many friends I have made. I look forward to new testing reviews posted by members and seeing peoples scores drop, because of new equipement in the market. Thanks THP and Taylormade for this awesome testing opportunity.

Last edited:
1 Currently I play Taylor Made RAC irons.
2 Light Metal II steel shafts
3 Forgiveness and feel
4 I have not tried them yet but have heard an awful lot of good things about them from others.
5 Testing process - I'm an active member on this site. More a reader than a poster. I manage to get on a golf course a couple of times a week, as there are lots of great golf courses near me. I would have no problem getting out to use them at leat once a week and report back immediately with some thorough feedback and what I liked and didn't like. I'm a big fan of the Taylor Made products but would have no problem being objective in my feedback.

Thank you to Taylor Made and THP for the opportunity to be considered for this task.

Craig Miller

Big ups to Taylormade and THP for doing yet another round of irons testing with the forum members!!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Cleveland CG16's
2. What shafts are in those irons? KBS Tour
3. What do you look for in irons? distance, forgiveness, non-harsh feeling off the face
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I've only hit the 6i in my local GG briefly and thought it was a great blend of what I look for in a set of irons (see above)
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? There will be multiple driving range sessions, short game area practice, and on course testing. Except for on course testing, any of the other areas can be done via indoor practice facility as well. I'm very active on THP as an Equipment Tester and would provide numerous updates and share my thoughts throughout the process as well as answer any questions that readers may have. I've tested both the Burner 2.0's and the Tour Preferred CB's iron sets and feel that with testing the R11's I could give a complete analysis and comparison between these different iron sets.

Great opportunity for more THP forum contributors. I will pass on signing up due to other testing commitments, but look forward to following the long term reviews of the selected five.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno Mp-33 blades
2. What shafts are in those irons? Apollo Hump shafts (stiff)
3. What do you look for in irons? The club has to look 'right' at address as well as feel right, but feel is most important to me
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? No not tried them yet, but they do look good, and from what has been said from Morgan Cup players they perform well too.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Would initially put them up against my current blades as point of reference, then put them alone in the bag to give a thorough testing. Ball flight and distance differences would be reported along with other characteristics of this type of club. Time on the range would also be used to get more used to the feel and playability of the clubs. With regard to activity on the forum, I view the forum several times per day and try to post whenever possible, but tend to post when I can give constructive advice rather than simply posting rubbish in a thread just to get my post count up.

This is once again a great oportunity from THP and one of the leading companies.

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping i10s Stiff flex (S300s)

2. What shafts are in those irons? Dynamic Gold S300

3. What do you look for in irons? Distance and low penetrating shots, they don't have to be amazingly forgiving either because I like some feedback.

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I haven't even seen the R11 irons in person yet. Only here on THP.

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I would hit the range a few times a week comparing those to my current setup. Maybe take 3 clubs from each bag to the range until all irons have been compared. Then play a 2 rounds with them at my home course so I can compare shots because I know where my old irons can take me on that course. My activity level on THP is probably avg. I get in 2-4 posts a day minimum. I try to make them count but sometimes it's just useless banter.

First off Thanks to Taylormade and THP for the chance to test these irons. Very excited to read everyones reviews on these irons as well as all the MC who already have given some great feedback on them.

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade Burner 2.0

2. What shafts are in those irons? Steel Stiff

3. What do you look for in irons? now that ive become a better ball striker i am looking for more consistency and accuracy with my irons with a tighter dispersion. i love the 2.0 for distance and mishits but i wish they had a tighter dispersion.

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I've hit the 6 iron at my Golftec after my lesson a couple weeks ago. I liked the way it felt and looked. Was impressed with the feedback i received. i was very excited that Taylormade came out with a "bridge" iron set between the 2.0 and the CB. when i got fitted for my irons earlier this year i really wanted to upgrade to the player irons but my game still needed more of a game improvement iron and i was actually bummed out that there wasn't something in between. I think these irons might be a great mix for someone who is right in between the two.

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I am on THP daily and try to post my thoughts on multiple threads about club reviews and products i currently own or have purchased due to others great reviews on the site. I can post videos and pictures as well as writing in depth reviews after all of my range sessions and rounds of golf. I plan on hitting a TON of balls this winter at the range and i have lessons planned throughout the winter at Golftec where i can get numbers from the launch monitor and such on the irons. I will be playing golf till it snows here. And when it does snow there is an indoor range that i will be hitting at so the winter shouldn't hinder my testing of the irons to much. I currently am at the range about 2-3 times a week as well as golfing 2-3 times a week and try to play the chip and putt once a week also. My lessons at Golftec are about once a week. Thanks again for Taylormade at THP for this opportunity.

Back