Forum Testing Signup - TaylorMade R11 Irons

1. What irons do you currently play?
Vega RAF-CM from kyoei golf
2. What shafts are in those irons?
KBS tour 90 regular flex
3. What do you look for in irons?
With my current irons I wanted the best feel I could get and a blade design to allow working the ball and getting feedback about correct contact. I'm definitely not opposed to game improvement irons and almost went that direction instead.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts?
I have not tried these irons
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level?
Since these are clearly a different style from my blades it would set up a nice direct comparison for me. I get out to play nine once a week to two weeks. But I practice 3-4 times a week and have a net and mat setup in my garage. There I could comment on feel. At the range I would compare flight, distance dispersion and post on twitter google + and if you twist my arm maybe Facebook as well. Will post videos and pics to give a thorough and honest feedback of performance. I am active on thp though just started here a few months ago. Hopefully we will be able to get some nor cal hackers together for an informal outing cause it'd be nice to meet some of the community (seems like a bulk are in the southeast).

1. What irons do you currently play? Cleveland TA7 Tour
2. What shafts are in those irons? True Temper S300
3. What do you look for in irons? The first thing is how they look at address. Don't like clubs that are too bulky looking; but not looking for blades either. As a once a week golfer forgiveness is another key item. The club needs to be forgiving on the inevitable miss hit. Then the overall feel of the club which takes into consideration how they feel at impact to overall club weight.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Have not hit the R11 irons. Have hit the MB,MC, and CB irons from Taylormade in a cage at the local golf store. I really liked the CB irons and since the R11 irons are similar they appeal to me since I think they will fit what I generally look for in irons (see question 3)
Testing process would be to perform and report on the appearance of the club. Would then evaluate how the clubs perform for me on the driving range to include point/counterpoint type comparison against my current irons. This would include feel at impact for center and off center hits, distance gain or loss compared to current irons, ability to control trajectory and ball flight. This is something I have been working on with my current set so workability is something I am interested it. I am a relatively new member on THP. My post total isn't very high, but I am on the site nightly reading the posts. Generally, I won't respond to posts of someone else posts a viewpoint similar to mine or just to include an "I agree" type response. While my post count and perceived activity may not be high, I understand the responsibility and commitment that would be required if I was selected to forum test the R11 irons.

Ping i10 black dot
Stock ping shaft in reg but I'm in the middle of reg and stiff
Forgiveness,feel and accuracy (and a little more distance than my ping)
No but from the reviews I'd like to try them out (compare and contrast to my ping)
And the fact that the r11 driver was ace.
I go to my local every week and maybe twice (I'll go twice just for these clubs)
I have a mowed field in school where I can use a 4 iron (and all the ones after a 4 iron)
I will go there every day or two

I'm active but haven't posted a lot lately (not seen anything I wanted to post in)
I'll post after each test (detail for each iron I use)
pictures and everything :)
I haven't got twitter but if I get these I'll certainly have an account :D
Wikipedia got r11 ?
Well they will :)

Tappatalk on iPod 8g touch

What a great opportunity. Thanks THP and Taylormade golf!

1. What irons do you currently play? . Taylormade r7 CGB Max as but new clubs in last week Tour Preferred CB
2. What shafts are in those irons? Steel DGXP S300
3. What do you look for in irons? Forgiveness, distance, and accuracy. Played GI irons before now play GE and loving them
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not yet had the chance to try them. I would definitely like to try them next month at GolfTec/Golfsmith
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I just joined THP last month but am on THP almost every day. As far as testing goes, I live in San Jose Ca and we really do not have seasons here. I am able to golf one or twice a week. I live a 1 mile from a Driving range and go to the range at lease twice a week. I will be able to do head to head comparisons with my TM CB irons, as well as my older set of r7 CGB Max Irons. I would take the same club and compare the ball flight, the feel at impact. I can promise plenty of pictures and frequent updates as the process goes on, with the videos as well.

Thank you Taylormade and THP truly an amazing opportunity.

Last edited:
1. Ping ISI BeCu 3-PW

2. Steel, 6.5 Royal Precision FCM Rifle.

3. Forgiveness is right up there with playability. I've never had a problem with distance so the ability to work the ball and tight dispersion across the face definitely takes precedence. Aesthetically, I prefer a clean narrow topline and cavity backs.

4. Yes, as a matter of fact, I tried them out a couple weeks ago with Golfsmith's ball give away for trying out the R11 line. I walked away impressed with the soft feedback, even on the shots high off the toe. The sim had everything ~5 yards longer than my current set distance-wise. The spin on the 6-iron was down about ~500 rpm comparatively to what I am used to with my set on the sim and that probably tied to the fact that it was also about a few yards tighter dispersal than what I typically get with my set.

5. I live in AZ, so I fit the bill of being able to test these year-round on a consistent basis in a great environment. I'm on the range or the course more days during the week than I am not. I'd like to alternate rounds between the Pings and the Wilsons or do solo rounds alternating irons playing two balls after my drives to get a thorough opinion on how these stack up against the clubs I swear by and refuse to move on from. I have 1.24 posts per day here, so not huge, but I am an avid reader of these threads especially.

Would love a chance to test and review a new, hot iron. Here's the current stats
1. Currently playing my old Goldwin AVDP irons
2. Play to a 15.9 oob 'cap
3. Play a regular flex steel shaft
4. Righty
5. Testing plan would include a weekly round (minimum) plus one/two range trips. I intend to follow how a modern 2012 iron stacks up (flight, distance and forgiveness) against state of the art 1996 to see if Joe Average truly benefits from the tech advances we're sold dailly in ads.

1. Taylormade TP MB 3-PW
2. Dynamic Gold X100
3. I am looking for irons that offer a bit of forgiveness while still providing consistant distance, and the ability to manipulate the ball flight if the situation requires it.
4. I have not hit the R11's
5. Testing would include 2 weekly rounds with practice sessions in between including launch monitor and range time. i would update the test thread daily and also provide updates via social media outlets such as twitter,facebook, and others. I am a very active member on THP posting daily and contributing to the site.

Surprised to see this not on the first page. Silly night THP'ers.

1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway Razr X Irons
2. What shafts are in those irons? True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
3. What do you look for in irons? Forgiveness in a clubhead that doesn't appear to be over sized. I don't hit the ball far so I enjoy irons that help give me extra distance.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Yes, they are sleek. They have a nice midsize profile that appear to have some good forgiveness and definitely provide me extra yardage.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I will play multiple times a week and also hit these at the range and in a simulator. I can match them up with an iron in their GI class such as the Razr X irons and find out which one produces better numbers for my game. I will be honest and provide videos and pictures throughout the process. I am a very active THP Forum Member with over 12,000 posts. I will always be around to answer questions and give feedback.

Thank you Taylormade and THP for this fantastic opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MX-23
2. What shafts are in those irons? TT DG, regular flex
3. What do you look for in irons? Consistent performance throughout the set
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not tried the R11's, but I do like a lot of the technology and innovation that Taylormade puts in their products.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? Four or five days of play with one or two additional range sessions each week. The first step in the process is to make sure the lie angle is appropriate for my swing and make any necessary adjustments. Next is side-by-side comparison between my current set and the R11's as to their lengths and lofts. Side-by-side range comparison will follow to determine performance and ball flight differences. Then as I become more comfortable with the new set, it's out to the course. Updates will be posted daily. My activity level on THP is fairly low, but on the rise.

As always, thanks to THP and TMag for the excellent opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? Nike Vr Split Cavity
2. What shafts are in those irons? DG S300 Steel
3. What do you look for in irons? 1. The look at address 2. Feedback on off centre hits so I know I stuffed up. I don't like too much forgiveness as I'm still learning.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Haven't yet, last time I hit a TM iron was a friend's 09 Burner 6 iron. I was impressed.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? The weather is starting to bloom, 24 degrees C tomorrow and we're off the plates! It only gets better from here. I'm a shift worker so for every ten days I live, I play about 4 rounds. A round will include a range bucket for whatever isn't working right. Can do photos and video if required. As for the forum, I'm back online and have spent more time on here than FB in the last 2 days!

Last edited:
1. What irons do you currently play? Currently I have the TaylorMade Burner 2.0 3-PW. I upgraded from the Burner '09s that I used for 2 seasons.
2. What shafts are in those irons? I have the stock TM regular flex superfast steel shaft, completely off the rack club set up and grips.
3. What do you look for in irons? I find my self in the game improvement segment. When I'm shopping for irons I look for forgiveness 25%, technology 25%, visual impact of the club at address position (topline) 25%, playability 25%. I firmly believe that every new iron, fairway or driver that comes out is better than the one it is replacing. However when I go to make the purchase I will try out the clubs at demo days or a simulater before any purchase and if possible use the clubs on the course.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I haven't tried them yet but have held them in the store. I find the topline very inviting and the clubs look great. I would have to have them in my bag for a while to see if the red weight on the back would bother me, but I'm thinking that everyone is blowing it out of proportion.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? As far as testing goes I wouldn't change much from my current routine. I usually go to the range once a week and then play at least one round a week. What I would change is I would take both sets of irons to the range and do a side by side comparison of the irons. Get a feel for how far each iron goes in comparison to my current set. I believe it would be a great comparison as the R11 iron is supposed to be the next step up from the Burner 2.0s. I own a small video camera and would / could do a short video clip of the clubs vs the old ones if the group thinks this would be advantageous.
As far as my activity level on THP, I love it. This is the first trial I have signed up for because I believe I can offer a good insight into the clubs on their own and versus the Burner 2.0 irons. The feedback I can provide will be from a 15 handicapper so I'm at the top end (or bottom end) of the range for ideal use of these clubs. I look forward to the opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? Dunlop DDH

2. What shafts are in those irons? Stock Steel Regular Flex

3. What do you look for in irons? Forgiveness. I've gotten away from the distance and trying to hit straighter shots

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? Have not. Everything TaylorMade builds seems to be of great quality

5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? 2 to 3 times a week on course and range. Compare to Dunlop clubs and write reviews every time I go out with them. I'm on the forums daily.

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping G5 5-PW
2. What shafts are in those irons? Ping AWT Steel Regular Flex
3. What do you look for in irons? I look for forgiveness. I don't mind what some may call a "chunky" look.
4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have never tried the R11 irons.
5. Tell us about your testing process and THP activity level? I have a local course in my hometown where I play a round at least twice a week and I go to the driving range at the course to practice at least twice a week as well. I would be able to compare the R11 irons to my current set. I will provide my feedback on THP as well as Facebook and twitter. I like my current set of irons alot and am not looking to change but I would like try another set of irons that are more current to see if I am missing out on newer technology. Thanks for the opportunity THP!

Love all the people excited for this forum testing, I'm going to play today with these irons, and can't wait. Good luck to all of you and Thank you again to TaylorMade Golf and THP. What a great round of testing.

Can't lie...this is pretty exciting...first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning

It is really exciting! I can't wait to see who is chosen. The reviews from the MC have me really interested. I haven't seen them in person. They only had a 6 iron at Golf Galaxy and someone was hitting it when I was there. I waited for about 15 mins. But then I had to go. :nailbiting:

1. What irons do you currently play? Cobra CB Carbon 4-PW

2. What shafts are in those irons? DG x100

3. What do you look for in irons? A larger club face but still with a thin top-line. The ability to still work the ball when needed but the easier to hit straight the better. I also like a lower ball flight b/c of the wind in my area, but that's more of a shaft thing.

4. Have you tried the R11 Irons? Thoughts? I have not hit the R11s. I did demo the TM Forged offerings this spring and preferred the CBs out of that group which "appear" to be similar.

2 rounds and 1 range or 2 range 1 round a week depending on who I play with is my current golf schedule.
These would be put through the process and compared to my current irons in Length, Forgiveness, Look/feel. I might even be able to swing some Free LM time as I have managed to in testing out the nunchuk on my own. All sessions with this clubs would be followed by posts here on the forum and facebook if needed either that night or the next morning, followed by answering any question that would be posted in the thread by other forum members to the best of my ability.
My activity level here on the forum is between 1-2 hours a day of browsing usually between my PC and tapatalk, however I seem to be more comfortable these days in posting my thoughts and would like to continue that with some pretty irons to talk about :)

1. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade R9 5-PW
2. What shafts are in those irons? The shafts ae KBS 90 in stiff that came stock.
3. What do you look for in irons? When I purchased the R9s, I came from X20 tours which I thought offered very little forgiveness. So when searching out a replacement for the X20s forgiveness was the 1st priority.
4. Have you tried the R11 irons? Thoughts? I have tried the R11 iron at my local golf store. Off the rack they felt good, but being that I have to play a longer iron and upright, it is sometimes hard to get the true feel of an iron for me in the store.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play rounds about 3-4x a week and hit the range almost daily. Testing the R11s would consist of side by side comparison with my current irons on the course and the range, with limited monitor testing. Reviews would be posted by myself daily on the days I play the R11 irons on THP, twitter and facebook. I think owning the R9 irons currently and testing the R11 irons would be very enlightening and showcase what improvements were made from the R9 to R11.​

Yeah these irons are definately at the top of my radar. Testing them would truly be awesome. I'm definately a Taylormade fanboy!

i think this was another great move on Taylormades part. with the popularity of the driver the irons would prob have sold well even if they weren't great. But everything ive read on here about them sounds great. can't wait to see who gets picked to test these out and hear what they have to say. especially cause ive only been able to hit the 6 iron.

I go to a conference yesterday and look what pops up!

I'm so torn right now. I got to hit these a couple weeks ago and came away very impressed. I was seeing on average about a 1.5 club increase over my current 7 iron in the simulator. I even nuked a few and saw a 3 club increase. Feel and distance were excellent. I'd love to test these out for TaylorMade and THP, but my swing hasn't been the best lately. Do I? Don't I? Ahhh!!

Ah heck, sign me up!

Nike VR Full Cavity 4-PW

True Temper DG High Launch R300

Distance and foregiveness mostly. Good feel is a must too. I don't like anything too harsh or too muted. Something that lets you know when you've hit a good shot but doesn't hurt you too bad when you make a bad one.

I have and I quite liked it. I hit the 7 iron in the simulator at Golf Town a couple weeks ago. Very impressed. Seemed to be quite foregiving and super long. I tried the steel shaft and it was launching fairly low for me. Probably why I was seeing the huge distance increases I was seeing on some shots. I hit a few over 170 with the R11 7 iron. That distance is usually what I see with my current 4 iron. I've been meaning to go back and try the graphite shafts but just haven't got the opportunity yet.

Upon reciept of the clubs, I'd start immediately on my initial write up. Impressions followed with lots of pics and more than likely a video. From there, I'd do my best to put the clubs through their paces on the course and the range. The season up here is fast closing so the last month or so would probably be from the simulator inside. Write ups would follow after every session with them. And of course a big final review at the end of the official testing period. I'd like to think I'm fairly active and in my previous testing I was always updating the testing thread.

I've got to give a big shout out to TaylorMade and THP for another awesome testing opportunity! Good luck everyone!

You need to move to Florida... There's golf year round if you can stand the summer heat!

I think I could learn to live with it.......:clapp:

I went back over the local golf super store and looked at these again. These are very attractive irons. I wish I had the time to swing them. But, kinda hard to do dressed for work. (Dress slacks and dress shoes.) I really hope these things play as well as they look, because they are sharp! (If so, I might have to upgrade a little early this year.)

I go to a conference yesterday and look what pops up!

I'm so torn right now. I got to hit these a couple weeks ago and came away very impressed. I was seeing on average about a 1.5 club increase over my current 7 iron in the simulator. I even nuked a few and saw a 3 club increase.

Wow. Switch irons and gain a 3 club increase, amazing.

Back