Future of Product Testing on THP

I have "liked" a few times on FB and I will make a conscious effort to spread the word more via that avenue. If someone will teach me twitter ( still not totally sure about what the heck I am doing) I will "Retweet" as well..LOL

Only time I use Twitter (read: Open the page in my browser) is when THP is down and I look to see if others are having that same problem! But I retweet by using the retweet button.

There is a Like button on the upper right of every page of a thread.

OK, found it after linking my accounts etc, had to remember my login because I just did a refresh(someone gave me a new processor) on my whole desktop, Thanks. Be warned though, I'm a "like everything" person on FB. lol

It is quite simple. Keep it the way it is. Most of the members here know you take your time to pick the testers and wish that everyone could be a part, but that just can't happen. YOU JUST CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE. It doesn't matter what it is in life you just cannot do it. I say just ignore anyone that has a problem with the way things are done. Testing is a privilege of THP and not a promise.

Wow .I thought this thread was over took some time to catch up on all that has occurred today. First off I agree with GG.You are chosen & dont follow through even after a PM Return heck ban from testing future products.Yes some people do complain,but should a few ruin it for everyone.We know what is wanted as testers. SMH. Maybe we are having growing pains. Thanks THP for the awesome opportunities that are here.

I'm saddened that this has become such a big issue. THP is such a great place for golfers to get the latest on golf equipment as well as hear reviews from our fellow golfers. It nice of them and the OEMs to send out equipment to test for free, and many people, myself included, love reading through their thoughts on the clubs. I've used feedback from others many times to make some purchases, and most people have probably done the same. It's sad that a few people don't like the fact that they weren't chosen, even if it's their fault for not being active, and are ruining the experience for the rest of us. Maybe they should spend less time complaining and more time on the rest of the forum, worrying about getting enough posts to be considered "active".

P.S. Just found out about the facebook page and liked it!

I purchased my Tour Preferred MB irons due to the great reviews from this site. Gave me great information and confidence.

I try to stay out of this thread as quite honestly I hate it, but today has again shown me a lot about the testing on THP. We all joined this site because we love golf and the lifestyle and wanted to discuss our favorite sport with people as crazy about as we are. We then on top of that have the opportunity to test golf equipment that we would normally never be able to do, and write reviews on it to share with our fellow members.
This is not my favorite part of THP, its just a part of THP and I love seeing my friends fall in love with a new hybrid or driver that they would normally never have picked up, or find a shaft that is right for their game, all because a fellow member of the site wrote a review that had them go and try it. However it has become clear to me that maybe its all too much. This thread comes up far too often for my tastes with people either complaining that they were not chosen for testing, or that they are doing their best but just can't find the time, or people take a product and then just disappear.
Yes we all love to see people commenting on the testing we are doing and on other peoples testing threads but that is not what the testing is about. Think of all the "guests" that are coming to the site after googling a review on a set of irons they are interested in and reading your review. They are not going to be posting a comment, and you will never know they were there, but your review could have swayed them to purchase a product, or not. Your good review could have also brought a new member to the site who will be contributing in the future to this great site.
I've personally been fortunate enough to test a set of irons for THP and I found it to be a challenging experience that I loved, but it was a lot of work. I was lucky to have a great group of testers with me and together I think we were able to have a successful testing thread, but we worked hard at it. Its true it can be hard when your thread is not getting as many comments as you would like, but its your job to report your findings every time you go out and play with the club and give your honest assesment. If you can't do this because you aren't getting enough feedback then its time for you to pass the club on to someone else who would relish the opportunity.
I've really gotten to the point where I would almost like to see testing end on THP. The complaining and constant debate over why not chosen, who was chosen, ect.. has just gotten to be too much, and has started to take away from the friendly golf atmosphere that brought me and most others to this site in the first place. I'm here to talk golf with nut jobs like myself and then meet up with them and play golf and have fun. I hope you are too.

I know you are not trying to get involved in this thread, but it was guys like you, chunky, Ron in Thornton, among many others, that got me hooked on this forum(always been a W/S homer I guess). I was pretty cynical about all the new stuff, at first, but all the honest reviews won me over. I say honest, because you guys seemed to report the good, the bad, and even the ugly. lol Your candor(and THP'ers et al), really impressed me me, and I'm not easily impressed. Just wrote this to let you know that the effort you have made/are making, has made a difference. Seriously, I would have become a member just to read the reviews posted by the current members when I joined up, even if there was no opportunity to become a tester myself. I was completely floored to have been chosen to be a tester, I only hope I can continue the high quality, yet honest, level of testing that has made THP what it is. Many thanks to the dedicated testers of THP, as well as JB, GG. Not to mention all the others that make this possible, many thanks to you also! No place like this this on the net, for golf goodness!

I'm saddened that this has become such a big issue. THP is such a great place for golfers to get the latest on golf equipment as well as hear reviews from our fellow golfers. It nice of them and the OEMs to send out equipment to test for free, and many people, myself included, love reading through their thoughts on the clubs. I've used feedback from others many times to make some purchases, and most people have probably done the same. It's sad that a few people don't like the fact that they weren't chosen, even if it's their fault for not being active, and are ruining the experience for the rest of us. Maybe they should spend less time complaining and more time on the rest of the forum, worrying about getting enough posts to be considered "active".

P.S. Just found out about the facebook page and liked it!

Agreed! 110 percent!

JB, GG, and all the folks that make THP the great site that it is, I hope you never the let negatives pull you down. This is the best Golf related site on the internet, bar none. Not that opposing opinions are bad, I just hope that hope that THP continues on through thick or thin because there is no site I have found that is nearly as high quality as THP!!

JB, GG, and all the folks that make THP the great site that it is, I hope you never the let negatives pull you down. This is the best Golf related site on the internet, bar none. Not that opposing opinions are bad, I just hope that hope that THP continues on through thick or thin because there is no site I have found that is nearly as high quality as THP!!

+1. I often dissect the internet looking for reviews and thoughts on particular products, but THP alone can give more more advice than Google. I've never considered looking to any other site besides THP, and I know on the .01% chance I don't find something, a fellow THPer like JB, GG, Smallvile, etc. would be more than happy to help me out and point me in the right direction. I've never had a problem finding thoughts on products on THP, and hope that never changes!

Great post Coolbreeze. I don't hate this thread mainly because it brings awareness of certain things but I surely do not like the fact why its existing. If that makes sense.

There is a huge difference between being disappointed you weren't chosen for something and being upset because someone was sellected "over you". I love to test and see it as a huge responsibility and honor. I even signed up while in the midst of the MC because I wanted to show my support. And in the end its about that. Support to the companies, THP, the testers and getting honest information out on products.

This is getting off the main purpose of the thread, but I gotta ask, in addition to replying to the reviews, the radio shows, etc., how many people "Like" or Retweet or Share on Facebook these articles and shows? That's also a good way to get this oinformation out to the masses. I don't know if the people I am friends with pay any attention to the THP articles I post on my FB page, but I know if I didn't do it, then for sure none of them would see them.

You know Smalls you are right...I never connected my account with Facebook so I didn't get the "like" button in the threads (I do now by the way) I don't do twitter...maybe I need to start. I need to make a better effort to spread the word....thanks buddy!

I'm surprised that there is even an issue with testing and the selection process. The opportunity that THP offers is something in itself. I realize that I'm new but my take is that if your fortunate to be selected.. kudos and enjoy. My only request to the reviewers would be to be totally honest. Of course that is the premise behind this. Not everyone can be made happy it's a fact of life. On another site there were people declaring shenanigans for contests stating that they were rigged...if not ficticious.

Alex

There is a huge difference between being disappointed you weren't chosen for something and being upset because someone was sellected "over you". I love to test and see it as a huge responsibility and honor. I even signed up while in the midst of the MC because I wanted to show my support. And in the end its about that. Support to the companies, THP, the testers and getting honest information out on products.

I completely agree Yoccos, there is nothing wrong with being disappointed you weren't chosen....that's human nature. You signed up for something with the hopes of getting selected and you didn't...so disappointment is normal, BUT most of us understand that everyone can't get chosen and we are happy and excited for those that do and we express that sentiment. It's the few that complain that they should have gotten chosen because they could do it better or they've been here longer or whatever that I don't understand.

I completely support JB and GG on the new policy, it's only fair that if you don't perform to the expectations of them and the OEM that you return the equipment so that some who will appreciate the opportunity can finish the job correctly.

I completely support JB and GG on the new policy, it's only fair that if you don't perform to the expectations of them and the OEM that you return the equipment so that some who will appreciate the opportunity can finish the job correctly.

My thoughts exactly... first people get free equipment to test and don't even do the job right, then they don't return it so someone who will do the job right can get an opportunity to post his thoughts to help out other THPers

I have been writing reviews on the home page for just about 3 years. I assure you that regardless of comments, I keep writing them.
When you signed up for testing, there was never something that said "if people stop asking questions, you should stop writing reviews". The only thing we said all along was that testing is a several month process and updates are needed frequently. Im not here to argue with someone about what they are or are not doing, but its not hard to see who is and who is not doing a good job by looking at the thread. If a forum testing review thread is 9 pages back in the equipment section, that is a problem. I was not under the impression that motivation was needed for long term testing reviews. Apparently I was incorrect in that a couple of people have mentioned that and while I dont agree at all, some evidently feel that way. I just never knew that people needed a motivation to write the reviews on the equipment that they received from THP. I do think that people signing up for testing should possibly mention this though as its kind of an important part of testing.

Well as I said, it'd be a completely different situation if no one had ever read them in those 3 years, haha. At least for me anyway. I wouldn't want to spend 3 years of my life doing something that only I knew about and no one else. Unless of course it was something along the lines of Tiger...

Anyway, I never really mentioned that I needed motivation either, I was just throwing it out their as a reason that some may not keep updating. Every time I have found something new, I have updated, and I have also answered every question asked by someone. I'm not trying to argue either, trust me, I just don't want to be made out as the bad guy here who is complaining about something, because I'm not at all. If people have read, they know why I wasn't updating often, and it was never because of no motivation. My motivation comes from the fact that I'm proud to be serving THP and TaylorMade. I joined this site at first to play in a contest, then when I realized what it was all about, I decided to stick around. I never thought I would be a tester to be honest. I fully realize the jobs that come with it, and I'm doing my best to do them. And I completely agree that if the thread was 9 pages back, then we were seriously slacking on the job. Heck, even a page back is bad in my opinion.

I apologize to everyone that I affected with my earlier posts. They were not meant to be seen as complaints, but rather indicators of why others may slack on the job. This site has taken over my free time, and even my not-free time, and I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the friendships I've made, or the trust that you guys instill in me. I'm with everyone else, I hate that this thread has to exist, but I definitely agree with the rule. I hope no one is mad at me, I suck at reading emotion through text...

Wow, just caught up with this thread. I completely agree GG and JB, equipment should be returned if the tester isn't doing a satisfactory job. I hope this isn't aimed at me, as I am trying to do a good job with the Nike VR Pro Combos, but how do I know? I will definitely be stepping it up now that we all got the PM. I hadn't thought about it until reading this thread, but you guys are completely right. It doesn't matter if people comment on your reviews (which I have wanted in the past) I am reviewing these clubs for a company and for many people who will just be "stopping by" THP to read the reviews. I will do a better job from here on out, whether I'm doing a good job or not.

Love the new policy change with regards to testing. Hope I never get one of the PM's when I am testing anything.

I think if a person is picked more than once and even often to test products that person is doing a very satisfactory job. That in self should tell others not to be jealous of good testers but to applaud them. Testing is not easy. It's hard work, dedication to putting our best effort into a unbiased review, and checking back often to see if the readers have questions. I think the new rule recently implemented is the ticket and will keep those who just want a free product out of the mix. So big thank your goes out to all the full time testers as you guys do excellent work and bust your butts to bring the public what they need to know. For you wannabe testers, be careful what you want! If you get an opportunity, commit to the job and fall in love with getting the reviews back to the people.

I need to be the tester for the next Williams Gold plated golf set, or I will pull my account. But I promise to make at least one post about the clubs, in fact I will do it in advance of getting them as I am sure they are better then whatever I am using now.

Sheesh......this thread makes me sad.

Good new policy- though maybe tricky to enforce.

I am only one- but the testing has resulted in my testing out the "heavy driver' (which I never would have looked at), buying a sleeve of vision balls, buying Niblicks, buying the Cleveland Brz putter and more. I have never been an official tester despite all my posts, but I have feel that I have received plenty of value from my participation in this site.

So just thanks all.

I already posted that I think the new policy is important, good, and unfortunately overdue.

I am actually glad that this thread came back up. There have been some points raised regarding the homepage, FB and twitter that hit home with me as personal shortcomings. Many have talked about the amount of time required to perform a test well. I do not think that this can be overstated. Things come up for all of us in life, that can take us away from the site and our responsibilities to it. Often, as a tester we can still find the time to get out and do our "job". If however you don't believe you can fulfill your duties, man up and step aside gracefully before the new policy needs to be implemented on you. I can assure you from personal experience that stepping aside will not have an effect on future testing possibilities. I don't believe the same would hold true if you were forced.

This is not meant as an attack on anyone. Rather, it is something that I recently went through after being chosen as a tester.

Yep yep - like that as well. Unfortunately, some really have no idea if they are doing good/bad and need that one on one feedback for reassurance or motivation either way.

I have been writing reviews on the home page for just about 3 years. I assure you that regardless of comments, I keep writing them.
When you signed up for testing, there was never something that said "if people stop asking questions, you should stop writing reviews". The only thing we said all along was that testing is a several month process and updates are needed frequently. Im not here to argue with someone about what they are or are not doing, but its not hard to see who is and who is not doing a good job by looking at the thread. If a forum testing review thread is 9 pages back in the equipment section, that is a problem. I was not under the impression that motivation was needed for long term testing reviews. Apparently I was incorrect in that a couple of people have mentioned that and while I dont agree at all, some evidently feel that way. I just never knew that people needed a motivation to write the reviews on the equipment that they received from THP. I do think that people signing up for testing should possibly mention this though as its kind of an important part of testing.

Uh oh...think I may have been one of the ones opening up that "motivation" can of worms.

Personally, I do not need the motivation as I have the feeling of indebtedness of being selected by a company and THP keeps me going and trying to write a quality review. Perhaps that was a bad term to use...whether you want to call it motivation or forum member feedback or whatever else - I think it is CRITICAL that review threads get positive and negative (if needed) from the community. It is that feedback that lets the reviewers know that their being heard. Although, as it was also eluded to - there are many more people that will see the review via organic sources and never leave feedback or signup on the forum.

Personally, as a tester, I really appreciate it when someone leaves a comment or asks a question. I know how other testers in here feel when they post something that they have worked on and nothing is said it leaves them pondering if it was a bad write up.

I am not a golf equipment junkie and do not know a ton of information about shafts, various club technology, etc - just that average golfer shooting in the 80's that wants to get better and trying to convey how certain clubs work for me.

Sorry for the ramble and hopefully my intent was understood. I think the revival of this thread and the opinions shared has opened the eyes to all of us that whether we are a reviewer or not, we can do better as a forum to support those who are providing incredible opportunities. I know that I have for sure!!! :clapp:

I actually don't mind this thread, as we all need to read it and understand the purpose of it.

I'm probably a little guilty of falling behind on my testing in the last couple of weeks, excuses or not - I'll make up for it in the next few months. But I'll skim over that to say I hope we (as a whole) don't let the small minority of complainers ruin what is an unique and privileged position go to waste. I guess for that to happen, testing has to really shine.

I'm in full agreement with the new policy, and there have been some great posts in this thread.

This thread and the "new rules" really makes me self-conscience. I think of all the problems that THP may have seen with testers taking advantage of the equipment, and panic thinking that it may be directed at me. I know that if I haven't been notified that I was lagging, then I shouldn't be worried. But it is human nature to worry. I really enjoy the testing opportunities that I have been given and I do not want to do anything to make those go away.

I really like the new policy (after catching up and reading the last few pages...). It makes a lot of sense and I'm happy to oblige. I certainly see this thread pop up and immediately think I might personally not be holding up my end of the deal so I appreciate JB clearing up the situation and how it is handled. Testing is absolutely a privilege and NOT a right. It is extremely difficult and if you consider the other members and the owners working to get this product into real world hands it should be considered a job with responsibilities but in the end a job that you (the tester) love! I know I do.

Back