Future THP Outings & Demo Days

I sincerely hope that future THP Outings remain as wellconceived and planned as this one and remain Stay and Play at a first class venue, on “Tour Level Courses”, near a MajorCity, and include a fine Banquet.

My reasons are probably different than many and admittedly alittle selfish. Being in my “goldenyears”, it takes something really special to get me excited. What attracted me to this outing was that itis, indeed, THE ULTIMATE GOLF WEEKEND. It is special. It is extraordinary. Being a relative newbie on the site,when I came across the outing thread I was quite taken by how excited everyonewas about it even four months out. Iread the entire original thread, and even went back and read many pages of the2011 thread. I was so bummed that it wassold out, but finally just put my name on the waiting list and was lucky enoughto get a spot.

I applaud you for seeking our input on future events. But, I don’t think any of us could have donea better job of conceiving and planning such an outing that not only gets allof us giddy with excitement, but gets the OEMs interested enough to providesuch an array of equipment to demo. Please stay the course.

I would keep everything exactly like it is, with the exception of always having it somewhere similar to PGA National. I like it where you can have a central location that can easily accomodate large groups of partying, fun & almost drunk folks. Karoke would be cool too. I would also consider having the outing coexist with the Morgan Cup. One large outing to make it easier for everyone to enjoy everyone else and just have a good ole time. Let the Morgan Cuppers kick each others arse and the rest of us can go out and have our own little ruckus going on. In the evenings we can all meet up and talk trash about who is gonna whup whos arse the next day. Maybe have the Morgan Cup presentation Sunday evening and everyone go home that night or Monday.

I like the idea of the MC and the outing on/at the same place/weekend. Nice OG, did KB tell you that :alien:

I would keep everything exactly like it is, with the exception of always having it somewhere similar to PGA National. I like it where you can have a central location that can easily accomodate large groups of partying, fun & almost drunk folks. Karoke would be cool too. I would also consider having the outing coexist with the Morgan Cup. One large outing to make it easier for everyone to enjoy everyone else and just have a good ole time. Let the Morgan Cuppers kick each others arse and the rest of us can go out and have our own little ruckus going on. In the evenings we can all meet up and talk trash about who is gonna whup whos arse the next day. Maybe have the Morgan Cup presentation Sunday evening and everyone go home that night or Monday.

That's an interesting idea...

Karoke! NOOOOO! Brings back memories of this little bar in Fujisawa, Japan. Too much sake followed by copious amounts of Suntory whiskey. OOOOH! It was ugly.

Interesting idea OG, but for what we have to do behind the scenes at the Morgan Cup for things such as media day and broadcasting, it would not be feasible.

I have not had the pleasure of attending either of the events, but I do have to say that I prefer the current configuration.
Thanks for letting me toss in my 2 cents.

Maybe next year....

This is something that we are most likely already planning on doing. We always said that the outing should be intimate, but when it filled up so soon, we were asked to increase the number, so we did so. I agree wholeheartedly that while it might not always be the most popular decision, keeping the outing to a limited number makes the most sense and eases things up on our end.

Personally, I think if you did this it would make it even more intimate for those in attendance. I know we've run into cases where people show up for the outing who havent been very active on the forum and then are never heard from again on the forum. Of course that's their prerogative but they may have taken the place of someone who is continually active on the forum.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I have only been to one outing but I thought it was pretty much perfect. For me its more about the people at the event rather than the destination. I love the stay and play and the banquet and wouldn't change any of that. Lower cost resorts could be an alternative as money is always an issue for myself and some others. God its gutting me that I wont be there this year

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Well, unfortunately I'm on the eve of missing my first THP event. It sucks. Scheduling was my main culprit but I do think the stay and play resorts are quite expensive. It's nice that GC is allowing unlimited golf.

Anyway, I would be all for going back to the roots that started it all. If you want to hangout and socialize, it can be done. I just think its far more economical. I have two kids and a single income so two events a year is very hard for me anyway. I do believe that if you do something where everyone fends for themselves that it's important to host it in a major hub, so folks can utilize public transportation if they need to.

I enjoy the banquet dinners but I could just as easily have slews of us take over a restaurant and I'm more than happy buying my own meal. THP outings are about golf and friends for me. I can do that at a public track or a resort course.

I think all the drop outs for this outing were unfortunate but I'm glad you filled the spots. I just don't know if that much trouble for you guys is worth it.

Ok I've been to all the outings and let me say that it is definitely an experience like no other. Here are my thoughts...

1) I think for ease of everything the stay and play works. I know for some it is becoming increasingly more expensive and I know Team THP is well aware of the costs involved for everyone. Much of what KMac and Ad and Hanks have said I agree with that you definitely don't want to lose the intimacy (it's the core reason why many attend this event). I think reducing the amount of attendees will alleviate that.

2) DO NOT GET RID OF DEMO DAY. I can't stress this enough. There's 2 things that are unique (golf outing wise) to this event... that is one (i'll go into the other in a second). Maybe lighten the load if it gets overwhelming but do not eliminate this feature because...

3) I think the words "tour level" gets lost in the shuffle here and I agree with Thainer that there are some courses that are great but not on the tour that we can utilize. I know everyone wants the name brand but just as an example here in Orlando is that I don't think the outing would be any lesser if we had it (just an example) at Reunion per se. Great courses, great facility but not a tour stop. That's just an example but having it in a major city, especially here in the southeast, THP can cater more to the masses by having more choices of great places to stay and play. Airfare would also be cheaper into a major city which is a plus for non drivers. And if you really want to go to that tour stop, I'm sure there's one nearby that can accommodate participants before, after, or maybe on one of the days (I think of Sunday). Heck we can drive up and play Sawgrass from Orlando if you like but that will take one whole day which to some is a sacrifice worth making.

4) Keep the banquet so we can all socialize at least at one point of the trip and we can celebrate the successes of THP altogether.

Hope this helps.

This thread makes me excited about the next outing! Ready to sit the wife down and plan vacation!

Never been to a outing, they sound like a blast though. Being a new member hopefully once I get to know more people I will be able to attend next year or the year after that. One question to JB though. It seems the majority of members here are from the gulf coast & east coast areas, but has there ever been a thought to bring a outing more towards the west like Cali, Utah, Colorado, Vegas, Arizona? Or maybe do a separate west coast and east coast outing every year? People could attend both or choose one or the other.

Mike,
Take a look through the thread as this one has been covered a few times.
We are always looking for innovation and the THP Tour Van adds a lot of possibilities, but for now due to the logistics of demo day, the Ultimate Weekend of Golf must stay near THP HQ.

Mike,
We are always looking for innovation and the THP Tour Van adds a lot of possibilities, but for now due to the logistics of demo day, the Ultimate Weekend of Golf must stay near THP HQ.

Not picking on anyone who has asked, but JB, I sure hope you have attached those sentences to a key binding today. :act-up:

Do you prefer the stay and play or do you prefer an alternative route such as finding cheap lodging and driving to courses? - I love the idea of stay in play like at the Morgan Cup
Do you prefer it remain in a major city to keep airline costs down or are you okay with smaller airports and possibly driving in from those airports? - I'm fine with driving
Do you want Tour Level courses or do you prefer smaller and more rural areas that you might not ever find without a THP event there? - Tour Level Courses!!
Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food? - I like the dinner together idea, it kind of gets everyone together.

Ok I've been to all the outings and let me say that it is definitely an experience like no other. Here are my thoughts...

1) I think for ease of everything the stay and play works. I know for some it is becoming increasingly more expensive and I know Team THP is well aware of the costs involved for everyone. Much of what KMac and Ad and Hanks have said I agree with that you definitely don't want to lose the intimacy (it's the core reason why many attend this event). I think reducing the amount of attendees will alleviate that.

2) DO NOT GET RID OF DEMO DAY. I can't stress this enough. There's 2 things that are unique (golf outing wise) to this event... that is one (i'll go into the other in a second). Maybe lighten the load if it gets overwhelming but do not eliminate this feature because...

3) I think the words "tour level" gets lost in the shuffle here and I agree with Thainer that there are some courses that are great but not on the tour that we can utilize. I know everyone wants the name brand but just as an example here in Orlando is that I don't think the outing would be any lesser if we had it (just an example) at Reunion per se. Great courses, great facility but not a tour stop. That's just an example but having it in a major city, especially here in the southeast, THP can cater more to the masses by having more choices of great places to stay and play. Airfare would also be cheaper into a major city which is a plus for non drivers. And if you really want to go to that tour stop, I'm sure there's one nearby that can accommodate participants before, after, or maybe on one of the days (I think of Sunday). Heck we can drive up and play Sawgrass from Orlando if you like but that will take one whole day which to some is a sacrifice worth making.

4) Keep the banquet so we can all socialize at least at one point of the trip and we can celebrate the successes of THP altogether.

Hope this helps.

Well said bro!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Mike,

got it. didn't have time to read throught the entire thread yet, and just wanted to get my thoughts out real quick. makes sense.

Everything Hanks and Freddie said.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to the THP Outing at Pebble Beach you guys...

Everything Hanks and Freddie said.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to the THP Outing at Pebble Beach you guys...

Yes!!!!!! ^^^^^^^this a million times, lol. I think everyone would be willing to forgo a demo day for one year if JB could put together a Pebble Beach outing in the future.

Thanks for opening this up to everyone to discuss!

I like Stay and Play
Major city is best for helping keep costs in line
Tour Level courses are what makes the outings that much more special.
Banquet is the way to go....group settign at least one of the nights is nice

What he said. Count me in this one. For someone like me it's not about cost but about the fellowship of golfers and the courses!

A little bit of skimming -- I'm w TC - doesn't have to be a banquet but some big group event is great. If getting a bus to go to a private party at Maggianos (or some other restaurant that holds private parties) is easier and more economical, I'm all for it. But I like the private party feel for that banquet night.

And I'm not a crazy name-brand golfer but as someone who has to travel a fair distance, it's kind of nice that it's a fancy pancy course. It lets me tick off a course from my bucket list. But, if it significantly decreases costs then non tour level is cool too.

I'm hoping to make it to the 2013 outing!

I like the idea of stay-n-play for all attendees, but I also like the idea of keeping things affordable. I'd say affordability takes precedence. Having said that, I beleive it was $209 a night at Grand Cypress including unlimited golf. That sounds kinda reasonable to me, but I'm not familiar with what hotels & golf typically go for in the Orlando area.

I definitely think keeping the events near a major airport is a must - again, it's an affordability issue - cheaper flights and no need for car rental.

I'm indifferent regarding the "Tour Level" venue - if it can be arranged affordably without stay-n-play, I's say go for it. Otherwise, not a big deal for me.

The banquet seems like a blast, I like the idea of having the whole group get together in a place that can comfortably accommodate them. Not sure being shoe-horned into a restaraunt would work as well.

I don't really care that a course is tour level but I do like the stay and play resorts. I enjoy the banquets a lot and vote to keep them. We are close enough to drive but if we had to fly, it would be nice to be close to a large airport.

I saw this earlier today when I checked in and have been thinking about this all day. Here are my thoughts and for the record I have been to the last two outings.

I think stepping back and thinking about what is wanted out of these outings should be the core of all decisions made about it. THP was created and continues to be a place for golfers ( or hackers) of all levels to have a spot in cyberspace to come to where they are not judged about not being a scratch golfer or not having the newest clubs in their bags. It is a place of fun and camaraderie and ever a "family" atmosphere at times. That being said the outing should continue with that thinking. Even after two outing and my reports of all that goes on my friends still don't understand completely why I am flying across the county and spending significant $$$ to do this each year ( since I am usually traveling the furthest). Having said all that, I think it should be held at a place that offers good value for a group setting to come to, stay if wanted and offer amenities like free breakfast or all golf included ( like this year).

As for the demo day, this to me is the second most important aspect of the outing (behind meeting fellow THPers) and I think spreading it out over a full day was an excellent idea versus the two day morning session and I think it should stay that way ( sorry Belbs). The banquet/raffle is always a lot of fun and I think a meal with everyone eating together should be incorporated in any outing plans for the future. It is a great opportunity to sit at a table and really get to know someone of the fine people here on THP.

Whether the course is of "tour level" or not really does not matter to me. Yea it was nice the last two years to play the same course that the pros played just a few weeks earlier but then again I am never going to be a pro so what real relevance does my shooting a 104 on the same course Phil shot a 70 on matter to me in the big picture. I am fine with the outing being held a a nice location that has one or two courses associated with it that can accommodate a good sized group like ours without any hassles. I am not certain where I stand on the size of the outing going forward. Allowing higher numbers sets up for problems similar to what happened this year, smaller numbers makes it tough for so many to be left out, especially with THP growing to such high levels over the last few years.

Now that i have stated my thoughts I want to thank JB and GG for allowing the masses to speak about this and express their opinions. It is one of the things that makes this site truly a wonderful place.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
Back