Future THP Outings & Demo Days

Well, I'll be attending my first THP event here soon so I'll probably be better qualified to answer these questions in a few weeks. But, I'll give my opinions that I've developed leading up to the event.

Do you prefer the stay and play or do you prefer an alternative route such as finding cheap lodging and driving to courses?
- Goodness. I really think that the $209 a night is a heck of a deal. Golf at this resort is not cheap at all - we're getting a stay and unlimited golf for this price a night? It's not cheap either but I'd label it as nice and fair. I really like the idea of the stay and play route but I wouldn't mind either way - I have family scattered all across the hotel industry so I can always find cheap rooms. I'd throw my vote for stay and play though because I think it allows us all to mingle freely.

Do you prefer it remain in a major city to keep airline costs down or are you okay with smaller airports and possibly driving in from those airports?
- This doesn't matter as much to me but it certainly makes sense that it's easier for people to travel when the course is near a larger city.

Do you want Tour Level courses or do you prefer smaller and more rural areas that you might not ever find without a THP event there?
- I'd rather it be at a nice resort spot like Grand Cypress. Plenty of those around the country. The golf is usually awesome, the amenities are wonderful, and they're great for large groups of people.

Do you prefer the banquet dinner that THP covers or would you prefer everybody going out to eat and enjoying the local food?
- I'm super pumped about the banquet. I think it sounds like a fantastic time so I'm all for it sticking around.

For the next couple years golf vacations for my wife and I must include my daughter, so it's unlikely we would attend until somewhere down the road. That being said.....

Stay and play. A resort with more than one course as has been done in the past and this year seems so right to me.

Big airports, small airports. Wouldn't matter to me.

Tour level? What does that imply? Reunion I don't think would really be classified as tour level, but those were some damn fine golf courses. And they were playable for varying skill levels. Anything close to that quality or higher makes for a pretty great trip. Any nice resort works fine, but special is special. "Tour level" doesn't make or break the event.

I think the banquet sounds like a very important part of the experience. If two years from now my wife and I were to attend, no banquet would be a disappointment. And I don't necessarily think you guys should have to pay for it. I would happily pay to have dinner and share the excitement of the trip with fellow attendees.

Kevin

I agree with Esox in that THP should not have to pay for the banquet. I would gladly pay to break bread anywhere with my fellow hackers.

Great suggestions, but please do read through the thread when you get a chance. The traveling demo day has been answered several times. I do think that once a person comes to one of the THP Outings, they understand why despite having the Tour Van, there is no way to bring all that equipment on the road. Even our RV, does not have enough storage for all of this golf equipment unless we filled up the entire bedroom with it.

The Tour Van is traveling to bring equipment to the people, but the full THP Demo Day and Ultimate Weekend of Golf would be hard to do elsewhere for us at the current time.

JP: I don't think I would be comfortable driving a Class A motorhome at all, but if you later were comfortable pulling a utility trailer with the Rangefinder, would having the full THP Demo Day in other parts of the country be possible? I know that you use the assistance of other THP staffers who are based in central Florida to set up and run the demo day. If they write down a step by step process of what they do at this Demo Day, THP members in other areas of the country would probably volunteer to help if you attempted a Demo Day somewhere else.

The central Florida area works fine for me because I can drive there. The amount that might be saved by staying off site and playing a nice course as compared to the deal that you and GG negotiated at Grand Cypress isn't enough to reduce the fellowship that I think happens when everyone stays on site. For people that live further away, the travel expenses is what might make attending too expensive for some. I am sure that I cannot even imagine the difficulties of having additional Demo Day/Outings in other parts of the country, but I hope you will figure out some way to do it so that more members can participate.

As a participant, I don't expect THP to provide a free banquet, and I am willing to pay for the banquet.

These events seem awesome! Everyone has good insight on the future and it seems the general consensous is it's great how it's set up!

I love the idea of stay and play, seems so convenient. The course wouldn't matter to me as I am not very good and would attend to enjoy the golf regardless. Doing that with a THP get together (which to me would be a must) is a home run.

I'm sure anything you guys come up with in the future will not be a disappointment and am eagerly waiting for the opportunity to join one of these!

First, I have to say I'm still annoyed I can't come to demo day due to a stupid wedding this year. Also, since I haven't been to one yet despite solid effort I don't think my vote should really count but

A: Being somewhere near a fairly large airport is a pretty big deal, at least for me. Having to rent a car and driving a couple of hours after 12+ hours of traveling isn't appealing, nor is the added dollar figure.

B: The banquet or somewhere where all the THPer's gather should stay. I mean it's like a wedding except you don't have to do the chicken dance and get better prizes. What's not to like?
Everytime I read through the threads afterwards the actual demo always gets a lot of praise but people are equally glowing about the banquet. I think that says volumes about how much the participants enjoy it.

F
Tour level? What does that imply? Reunion I don't think would really be classified as tour level, but those were some damn fine golf courses. And they were playable for varying skill levels. Anything close to that quality or higher makes for a pretty great trip. Any nice resort works fine, but special is special. "Tour level" doesn't make or break the event.

Tour level implies that they have or have the ability to host a tour event. There is a certain level of upkeep and challenge in the description. Most have or plan to have some sort of professional golf at the course. Reunion has held a tour event there in the past.

(Note: I have not attended an outing...yet)

I've thought long and hard before I answered this question. I'm married with 3 kids at home. To attend an outing, I either leave the family or try to take everybody. Option 1 isn't popular and Option 2 is WAY expensive. That said....

Keep the basic format just how it is. THP Outing and Demo Day are supposed to be a "Special Event". IMO, many of the responses that suggest change sound more like a THP Get Together which are already being held around the country and with the Range Finder will soon include appearances from JB and GG (baby steps people, the RV is like a month and a half old). The THP trip to Texas in June is the perfect example of this. While not everybody lives within 100 miles of the destination, it's affordable enough for Cookie, Nate, and threeboysdad to drive in and stay cheap & probably play a course that's around the same price as the one's they'd play local to them.

No, I won't be meeting the infamous TC and is band of fellow staffers, nor Kmac or many other great forum members there, but THP has once again gone beyond my expectations with the RV addition, so I'll settle for Cookie! (love ya man!)

I know the Outing is expensive and sure they could make a change and cut it by a couple hundred dollars. But from all the pictures I've seen from the previous, it looked like everybody got more than they're monies worth.

Thanks for opening this up to everyone to discuss!

I like Stay and Play
Major city is best for helping keep costs in line
Tour Level courses are what makes the outings that much more special.
Banquet is the way to go....group settign at least one of the nights is nice

+1

Sent from my DROID X2

I like Stay and Play

I agree...

First off, yet another great example of why THP is awesome. THP doesn't just put on an event and tell you how much it costs....they come to you to ask how they can make it even better.

There have been some good suggestions in this thread. I've never attended an outing due to logistics mostly, but I can only answer on the basis of me trying to arrange a trip to the outing next year, which might be selfish reasoning, and my thoughts on the suggestions so far.

I like the stay and play format. The main part of attending, for me, would be to meet the great folks here. To be able to just bump into someone at the bar or the restaurant, spend some 'off time' shooting the breeze (not you CB)....that's what I have in my head when I think of the outing.
Having it at a resort and somewhere central would be pretty important to me, as Nic would be attending with me. She doesn't play, so she'd be looking to go shopping, eating and generally having a normal holiday. We'd be hiring a car, so a drive from an airport wouldn't be a concern.

The banquet, well, that would be essential in my mind. Getting everyone together, mingling and just having a generally good time in a place that won't try to shove you out the door early, or have others in your space. I'll echo the sentiment that THP shouldn't necessarily have to foot the bill for this though!

I think suggesting that the outing move any distance is a bit off too, when you consider the amount of planning that must go into an event like this. Couple that with the Morgan Cup planning, add to that the daily work of keeping THP running, bringing us all the competitions, exclusives, testing, coverage etc.....I don't see how it could possibly become an option while keeping everything up to the current standard.

I agree with Esox in that THP should not have to pay for the banquet. I would gladly pay to break bread anywhere with my fellow hackers.

Agreed. I would gladly give up that money so that GG and JB can do more with that budget.

I have 2 thoughts on this...

One says dont change a thing! If its not broke, dont try to fix it.

The other part of me wants to say that although I like the "tour" level courses, we may have a little more freedom on a smaller hidden gem course. Either way, all I want to do is play golf and shake some hands

I like Stay and Play

And to add to this, The stay and play is great because it adds a level of friendship that you get by having everyone just a few steps away from a common bar or restaurant, like the iBar or the breakfast area at PGA National where a lot of friendships where made and a ton of fun was had by all.
Major cities are nice, and having it so in conjunction with "stay n play" helps keep costs down (no need to rent a car for the duration, just a cab ride each way). It does not restrict people from going out to eat or explore the town if they please.

euro-tastic post my friend

First off, yet another great example of why THP is awesome. THP doesn't just put on an event and tell you how much it costs....they come to you to ask how they can make it even better.

There have been some good suggestions in this thread. I've never attended an outing due to logistics mostly, but I can only answer on the basis of me trying to arrange a trip to the outing next year, which might be selfish reasoning, and my thoughts on the suggestions so far.

I like the stay and play format. The main part of attending, for me, would be to meet the great folks here. To be able to just bump into someone at the bar or the restaurant, spend some 'off time' shooting the breeze (not you CB)....that's what I have in my head when I think of the outing.
Having it at a resort and somewhere central would be pretty important to me, as Nic would be attending with me. She doesn't play, so she'd be looking to go shopping, eating and generally having a normal holiday. We'd be hiring a car, so a drive from an airport wouldn't be a concern.

The banquet, well, that would be essential in my mind. Getting everyone together, mingling and just having a generally good time in a place that won't try to shove you out the door early, or have others in your space. I'll echo the sentiment that THP shouldn't necessarily have to foot the bill for this though!

I think suggesting that the outing move any distance is a bit off too, when you consider the amount of planning that must go into an event like this. Couple that with the Morgan Cup planning, add to that the daily work of keeping THP running, bringing us all the competitions, exclusives, testing, coverage etc.....I don't see how it could possibly become an option while keeping everything up to the current standard.

The more I think about it, the more I would like to get get away from these big resorts. Here is why....

PRICE!

I think it would be nice to get the cost lower. $200 a night isnt bad, but I think it can be done cheaper. and this isnt a knock on how its being done now. for me to stay from Thursday to Sunday it will be just over $600. Thats not something that will break the bank, but it is a lot of money. I used to take a trip to Myrtle Beach every year and do a stay and play for $325. We wouldnt so much stay at the places we were playing, but...we all stayed in the same resort area. So, we still hung out every night. I just think it would make attendance a little easier.

anyone agree? or am I just being a cheap bastard?

The more I think about it, the more I would like to get get away from these big resorts. Here is why....

PRICE!

I think it would be nice to get the cost lower. $200 a night isnt bad, but I think it can be done cheaper. and this isnt a knock on how its being done now. for me to stay from Thursday to Sunday it will be just over $600. Thats not something that will break the bank, but it is a lot of money. I used to take a trip to Myrtle Beach every year and do a stay and play for $325. We wouldnt so much stay at the places we were playing, but...we all stayed in the same resort area. So, we still hung out every night. I just think it would make attendance a little easier.

I feel the same way, but I am sure there are other things included in our price that you didn't have at Myrtle Beach.

I feel the same way, but I am sure there are other things included in our price that you didn't have at Myrtle Beach.

like? we got meals and 3 rounds of golf.

edited: breakfast...not meals

Maybe I am wrong. I just thought there might be some perks for THP in that price.

PRICE!

I kind of agree. I mean, let's be honest, we used to go to True Blue and stay, and got to play there and at Caledonia for $325.

Here's the other thing I want to mention: maybe by getting away from a resort, THP could possibly move the date up, to say, late Feb/early March. I think that would make demo day far more beneficial for folks. I think at this point in the year a lot of people have their bags setup how they want them. I think by moving the date up, the demo day can become even more about purchasing.

I kind of agree. I mean, let's be honest, we used to go to True Blue and stay, and got to play there and at Caledonia for $325.

Here's the other thing I want to mention: maybe by getting away from a resort, THP could possibly move the date up, to say, late Feb/early March. I think that would make demo day far more beneficial for folks. I think at this point in the year a lot of people have their bags setup how they want them. I think by moving the date up, the demo day can become even more about purchasing.

definitely wouldnt be opposed to that idea at all. Would resort and golf end up costing more though since its usually the "winter" months that they charge the highest rates?

I agree with this totally. I would like to see it right after the PGA show. When a lot of stuff is not in the store yet, but the demo day would be a time to get a hold of it early.

PRICE!

edited: breakfast...not meals

One-T, I am certainly not going to disagree with you in regards to price. One of the reasons for this thread is to discuss that as an option. I will say that comparing price from one to the other is not actually the same (because of staying off property and you not having to rent a car & THP Dinner), but that is neither here nor there. I think many feel as though the stay and play is the best option, and others feel as though staying locally with everybody at a small hotel is the best option because price goes down.

Its a tough one and we are looking at closely as we plan out 2013. We appreciate everybody's feedback.

I have to agree with Paulo here: I'd love to go to a THP demo day/outing and travelling in from the UK means I'd want to reduce my travel when I get there. I love the idea of stay and play and the banquet, but as others have said I'd be happy to pay for it - don't see why JB and GG have to pay for me to eat my fill.

As for the level of course, part of me loves the idea of playing a championship course, but then being realistic I haven't broken 100 yet so a less challenging course would be appreciated. Or maybe I'll just play off the front tees and try to keep up with you long bombers after I hit my 220 yd drives. :beauty:

Back