Let’s Talk Club Building

Love seeing this thread pop up to read some tips. I’m going to do my first shaft pull on my Forged Tec X’s and install the Recoil Dart 90’s. Some good tips that I’ve read so far.

I’ve built 1 wedge so far with a steel shaft. Everything went smooth and it’s worked great. But it was a brand new head and shaft assembly. This will be the first pull and install new build. Also first time with graphite. If anyone has any other tips to share, I’m all ears.

Love seeing this thread pop up to read some tips. I’m going to do my first shaft pull on my Forged Tec X’s and install the Recoil Dart 90’s. Some good tips that I’ve read so far.

I’ve built 1 wedge so far with a steel shaft. Everything went smooth and it’s worked great. But it was a brand new head and shaft assembly. This will be the first pull and install new build. Also first time with graphite. If anyone has any other tips to share, I’m all ears.
Are you pulling graphite or just installing?

Just installing
Really not much different then. Can be pretty liberal with the heat on the hosel to pull a steel shaft.

if you are cutting the graphite mask is preferred but don’t inhale the dust.

You are correct. Which means it's probably a good time to ask a question I've had for a while: is it possible to measure swingweight manually? In other words, can a ruler, fulcrum and scale be used and somehow convert the measured weight to a sw value?
Use this once you dry fit your clubs together will allow you to make adjustments. Not the closest maybe but enough to be dangerous.

Make sure you have proper ventilation. You do not want to breathe in the dust from graphite. Other than that it’s not overly hard to do a decent job.

That's why I'm still using a hacksaw vs cutoff saw, the dust is a pain to manage
Shop vac with a HEPA filter and bag is what I’ll typically do while cutting right next to the suction. Cleans and contains all at once.

How hard is it to find the balance point with a dry fit using this method?
If I am remembering correctly from when I used to build a irons here and there (and this is the poor mans way of doing it, but it usually came out pretty dang close)....

I would balance the club on something sturdy. One time I used the corner of a table, then I made a little contraption with a more direct "point." I would let it settle, mark with a sharpie, then measure to the end of the grip

How hard is it to find the balance point with a dry fit using this method?
Pretty simple, if the heads loose just use fishing line to pinch between the head and shaft.

You are correct. Which means it's probably a good time to ask a question I've had for a while: is it possible to measure swingweight manually? In other words, can a ruler, fulcrum and scale be used and somehow convert the measured weight to a sw value?
I use this. I don't remember paying $70 bucks for it, but with a couple rubber bands and a piece of tape I can usually get pretty close to the built weight doing a dry fit. Also great for confirming what you already have if you like to tinker with SW. Needs a level spot but that's it. This thing lives in the same spot on my basement workbench pretty much all the time. Even at $70 it's worth the investment. I've had irons I built myself checked at Club Champion an they were all really close.

Question about graphite iron shafts. I may try to dabble here soon, but have only done steel reshafts in irons so far. Does anyone have some good graphite tip weights they can recommend for irons?

Last edited:
Got the Recoil Dart 90’s in today. Pulled the KBS Tour Lite from my Forged Tec X’s and got these installed. Going to get the grips changed out tomorrow
IMG_3865.jpeg

I use this. I don't remember paying $70 bucks for it, but with a couple rubber bands and a piece of tape I can usually get pretty close to the built weight doing a dry fit. Also great for confirming what you already have if you like to tinker with SW. Needs a level spot but that's it. This thing lives in the same spot on my basement workbench pretty much all the time. Even at $70 it's worth the investment. I've had irons I built myself checked at Club Champion an they were all really close.

Question about graphite iron shafts. I may try to dabble here soon, but have only done steel reshafts in irons so far. Does anyone have some good graphite tip weights they can recommend for irons?
Rubber tungsten weights. They are flexible so won’t act as a spike in the tip of graphite and internally damage the shaft like a lead might.

@Golfers Anonymous any thoughts on why I'm struggling to keep new shafts in my ZX4 MK II's? I reshafted the first time and lost two or three heads within the first week. Pulled them all again, really triple checked the hosels for cleanliness and made sure the epoxy was absolutely MIXED. Fit isn't super tight, but I know the shafts are the right size. Still threw a 7 iron head within a a few weeks. I'm not a complete hack and have done this many times. Would beads help?

@Golfers Anonymous any thoughts on why I'm struggling to keep new shafts in my ZX4 MK II's? I reshafted the first time and lost two or three heads within the first week. Pulled them all again, really triple checked the hosels for cleanliness and made sure the epoxy was absolutely MIXED. Fit isn't super tight, but I know the shafts are the right size. Still threw a 7 iron head within a a few weeks. I'm not a complete hack and have done this many times. Would beads help?
Epoxy failure possibly, stored in cold or older than a yr old? Just verify a good abrasion as well as clean the shaft tip and hosel with acetone or the like to get a clean non greasy surface, use a glass beads or quick center to get a tight fit as epoxy has been known to fail if say a .355 in a .370 with no shim or grit to fill the gaps.

1000020737.jpg
1000020742.jpg
1000020734.jpg
1000020746.jpg
Finally got around to finishing the build on these!

My all time favorite irons even if I won't play them much they still look great.

Grips were crap and gross and ferrules were slipping so took it all apart and did a full rebuild. New grips, ferrules and later will stripping the paint and doing a new paint fill.

Still mastering everything with ferrule finishing as I have limited tools for that aspect, but all in all thrilled with these.

View attachment 9237636
View attachment 9237637
View attachment 9237638
View attachment 9237639
Finally got around to finishing the build on these!

My all time favorite irons even if I won't play them much they still look great.

Grips were crap and gross and ferrules were slipping so took it all apart and did a full rebuild. New grips, ferrules and later will stripping the paint and doing a new paint fill.

Still mastering everything with ferrule finishing as I have limited tools for that aspect, but all in all thrilled with these.
Those look great!

I think there is going to be some club building today…
IMG_2359.jpeg

driver build it looks like?
Yes sir!!! Only thing I need to determine is what grip. Would have to be standard black right?

Back