Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

Happy to hear your liking the 9º Wmac!

Thanks, Sean. The ML4 clubhead is just so darn impressive in either loft. So solid and so very forgiving.

Another buddy hit it yesterday. Although the shaft is too stiff for him, he commented all day how great it felt at impact. His words, "that thing feels awesome with a shaft in that I can't even handle, I'd love to see how it feels with a shaft that fits me."

Be must've commented about the ML4 about 5 or 6 times.

Well, first, I apologize for not posting up as often as I should. I have, however, been playing quite a bit and putting the ML4 through it's paces still.

So, I've got 3 rounds to report on...hehehe

Round 1: Home Course (Pull driver on all but 3's)

41/40 = 81 (+9)
9/14 Fairways Hit
2/5 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
Long Drive = 280 Yards (BOOM!)
Short Drive = 220 (High Fly Ball to Deep Center!)
Average = 255ish

Good day with the exception of the infield fly ball (no idea where the hell it came from). The 280 yarder came on a par 5, it was one of those where you felt everything that is great about this club at once. Not because it went a long way, but because you caught it dead in the sweetpot, it was the combo of a gorgeous sound, solid feel, spring like face, and piercing rising flight. Bliss. Much better swing day for me all in all. The forgiveness still helped me out on several of the holes, had 2 bad swings that had no business being in play stay in play in a decent lie. I'll take that any time.

Round 2: Home Course (Pull driver on all but 3's)

40/43 = 83 (+11)
9/14 Fairways Hit (6 Front/3 Back...fallapart anyone?)
3/5 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
Long Drive = 275 Yards
Short Drive = 230 (High Fly Ball! Again!)
Average = 255ish...still...

The ML4 truly saved me on this round, my tee swing was absolutely terrible yet I still managed 9 fairways and a couple really pretty drives....some really ugly ones too that still found the short grass. I'm having the issue of hitting behind the ball on occasion now, better know as I'm not clearing my damn hips and I'm occasionally starting down with my arms not my hips! Anywho, there is nothing like the sound of this thing nutted still, only heard that once today, bus its so so so so so sooooooo sweet.

Round 3: TIGHT TIGHT and rather short course, driver not pullable on some holes

41/40 = 81 (+9)
3/7 Fairways Hit
2/4 OOOOOOOOO.BBBBBBBBB.!
Long Drive = 275 Yards
Short Drive = 240
Average = 250ish

I wanted a challenge and to see if I could hit the driver well and make the most of it on a course you only get to pull it rarely. I got what I asked for. Bleh.Pulled the ML4 7 times in total today and only hit 3 fairways whilst putting two off the tee OB today as well (to be fair, one was because I got greedy, should have just taken the 4W). I was actually luck there weren't 4 OB as one clipped a roof I was attempting to clear cutting the corner but stayed in and the other hit a fencepost to stay in. It wasn;t the ML4 as much as my swing, I'm truly struggling at clearing my hips on my driver, so much that I've actually sliced a couple times and I haven't done that in 15-20 rounds (a textbook OTT slice that is). Still the ML4 managed to make me smile even though my swing was pure excrement, even had a threesome letting me play through ask me to hit the ML4 after they heard the sound it makes at impact, I, of course, obliged.

I still love this driver, though I will admit I've been tempted to backweight it just to see how that could help me get/stay on plane better, but, I don't want to taint my testing by doing so and I really think its more about my hips than anything else.

Gonna get out again Monday and Tuesday, I promise I'll be more prompt in my writeup.

I love this freaking club.

Nice write-up, Jman!

I played 18 today at Eisenhower Park's Red Course in East Meadow, NY. Par-71, 7,107 yards. Beautiful day, sunny, warm, slight breeze. I didn't keep track of everything as I concentrated on a tough match playing straight up against guys who are better than me (3 & 4 HC's), along with some fairly stiff stakes. :wink:

I only hit an extremely disappointing 3/14 fairways. I just couldn't dial in the big stick, and was just a bit off through the bag. BUT, 8 of the missed fairways were in the first cut of rough, either right or left, and completely playable. The other three were pushes just past the first cut. Only one was in trouble forcing me to punch out.

But all were long and I really think that helped me to get inside the other guys' heads. They kept commenting about how I was 20 to 40 farther than them and playing a different game with my approach shots. 18 as an example... it's a very slightly uphill hole which crests and runs flat toward the hole. 455 yards on the card, tees were up a bit but the pin was back so I'd imagine that it played in and around it's stated length. 3 of us hit our drives solidly and were in the middle(ish) of the fairway, while one guy didn't quite catch his and was in the first cut. They hit hybrids from about 190, 205 and 225 yards, respectively. I hit 8-iron from 162 yards. The stakes were raised on the 18th tee box (not my idea, lol...). I really got the sense that they were pressing as they all hit uncharacteristically luke-warm approach shots. I made a big mistake by going for the pin cut right, it hit and jumped right into a bunker. So close to being good. But I was able to get up and down. Whew!

I've played against plenty of shorter hitters who've rang my bell with their accuracy and skill so I know that length doesn't at all equate to superior play. By no means am I trying to infer that it does. Just, on this day and with this group, it seemed to work in my favor.

The fairways hit were the 1st, 3rd and 18th fairways (long dry spell, there!). They were really good drives, as were some of those that just missed. That's why it was so frustrating as I felt like I was this >< close all day long.

But, no harm, no foul as I won the match. The better players didn't exactly play at their best but I won it on the last three holes, which I'm proud of. I came back on 16 and 17 and went into the last, all square between three of us. I drained an 8' sand-saving par putt on 18 to win the match as the other two bogied.

The ML4 didn't let me down today as I suffered similar inaccuracies with all clubs, even wedges. Only, as it usually is with longer clubs, things can get magnified with driver. But I grinded all day long and it paid off. Literally. :smile-big:

I'll be out tomorrow, between work and the flu I been out of it

I tapatalk better then I golfatalk

Very nice write-ups Jman and WMac. Even with your struggles Jman, you still managed to find a good number of fairways. :) Nice win WMac!

For a guy who usually hits it 230 and straight with a Cobra S2 will this driver help me? I like to power fade the ball, but my miss is an over-the-top-low-&-left pull hook.

Thanks, Sean.

For a guy who usually hits it 230 and straight with a Cobra S2 will this driver help me? I like to power fade the ball, but my miss is an over-the-top-low-&-left pull hook.

Very difficult to say as the proper fit with shaft, loft and face-angle (ML4 lacks adjustability) are key. For me, the stock shaft didn't work out but with both my 10.5* w/stiff Graphite Design Pershing-65 and 9* w/stiff Graphite Design PM702, the ML4 has really impressed.

Also, no driver could ever hope to completely forgive swing-path issues, as of course I'm sure you know. The key, I think, short of revolutionizing our swings, is to find the clubs that best mask our flaws. My tendency is to hit a bit out toward the toe with driver. Therefore, I liked my S3 and love my ML4s. The ML4 has perhaps been the most forgiving driver I've ever hit. Even today as I struggled with driver, some of my very serviceable drives simply would not have been so with my S3. My swing was off yet I wasn't punished as much as I deserved to be.

As for length off the tee, the ML4 and my S3 are perhaps dead-even with center contact. But what makes the ML4 so consistently longer for me is the distance I enjoy from off-center contact. The S3 is forgiving in it's own right but the ML4 just offers me more.

We're all so different so I couldn't for a second assume to know what may be best for you. I can only speak for myself when I say that I preferred the S3 over my S2 and I prefer the ML4 over them both. It's a shame that the ML4 isn't as available to people to demo as so many other brands are. Because I really think, overall, people would come away very impressed... and probably with a new driver. :wink:

Well put WMac. Thanks for your insight on the ML4. The extra forgiveness is a huge key.

I agree with WMac on the fact that this really is the most forgiving driver I've ever played, for my miss. I really am still infatuated with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ML4 won't mask all one's swing flaws, but it's also the most forgiving driver I have hit. It's also the longest driver I have had the pleasure of hitting.

I'm continuing to enjoy the feedback on the ML4.

I'm continuing to enjoy the feedback on the ML4.

I appreciate that Hawk, I love this club and I hope it shows.

Got out today for 18...

Round: Home Course (Pull Driver on All But 3's)
39/42 = 81 (+9)
8/14 Fairways Hit
3/6 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
Long Drive = 285 Yards
Short Drive = 210 (The Worms were talking smack!! So I burnt them all!!)
Average = 250ish

Another solid day and though I hit less FWY's than my last round my swing was TONS better with the ML4, I essentially got rid of all thoughts with the woods and have decided to go with "Just be an athete" and it really has free'd up my swing. The 285 yard drive came on #6 and put me 80 yards out, bliss, the sweetest feeling swing I may have ever had with the ML4. The 210 was one I tried to swing out of my shoes on, topped the piss out of it, and it still ended up in the fairway. I really do want to know what this head could do with a RIP in it to lower my flight as its a shaft I really love and would bring me down a tad, but, I think thats just me being a tinkerer as there's no real reason to do so. The ML4 continues to confuse people on course when they ask what I'm playing, and I love it. Educating the masses baby. Getting out on Tuesday and Thursday with some buddies so you know I'll report back soon.

I can still hear the sweet sound in my head. Awesome.

Nice write-up, Jman. Glad to hear the ML4 is working so consistently well for you. You've sure been hitting plenty of fairways with it, and close with so many other drives.

Went to the range again today. Nothing to report other than I flat-out love to hit the ML4. I have to force myself to put it back in the bag in order to get back to work with the scoring clubs. The feel and sound of a well struck ball are addictive... just wanna keep hitting it.

Although not simulating a round, I eventually went with the strategy of hitting just one drive and then switching things up. Rather than groove a swing with consecutive drives, I wanted to go to it infrequently. Similar, but different, as I would during a round. I was on with driver today and hit every shot in what would have been fairway on the typical hole.

...If only I can carry that swing to the course in the morning. :smile:

Nice write-up, Jman. Glad to hear the ML4 is working so consistently well for you. You've sure been hitting plenty of fairways with it, and close with so many other drives.

Went to the range again today. Nothing to report other than I flat-out love to hit the ML4. I have to force myself to put it back in the bag in order to get back to work with the scoring clubs. The feel and sound of a well struck ball are addictive... just wanna keep hitting it.

Although not simulating a round, I eventually went with the strategy of hitting just one drive and then switching things up. Rather than groove a swing with consecutive drives, I wanted to go to it infrequently. Similar, but different, as I would during a round. I was on with driver today and hit every shot in what would have been fairway on the typical hole.

...If only I can carry that swing to the course in the morning. :smile:

I feel ya on that! lol

i have had 3 rounds, since my last update.

driver still continues to perform, i have the occasional slice here and there, but for the most part its about a 10 yard draw.. which i can deal with.. im averaging still right around 245 which is fine as its mostly all carry, just havent been seeing must roll out lately.. it still feels really good, you can surely tell when you hit it on the screws and it shoots off like a rocket..

and we all know i love the sound.. nothing to say here as it still sounds so purdy.. it has been such a pleasant surprise as i never looked at smaller manufactures.. but nicklaus has a winner here and i truly encourage more ppl to give it a shot..

oh yeah and i tee the ball lower with this driver, then any other one ive owned.. i have league sat at my home course, but its soo tight i might only pull the driver out 4 times... but ill be sure to update with the holes i do

until then hit it straight!!!

ML4 Update

I played nine today.

#2: I have no idea where my drive went. I never saw it. lol

#4: I hit it flush. 260 yards. It rolled out nicely. When you hit the ML4 on the screws it just flat out performs. I'm not the longest hitter by any means, but it just goes to show you what this club can do.

#5: I pulled it into the hazard.

#6: I pulled my tee shot into the left rough about 235 yards out.

#9: Pulled my tee shot into the left rough about 240 yards.

With the exception of hole 4 I wasn't driving the ball very well. However, at my home course there isn't much rough to speak of until you reach a hazard. The forgiveness factor of the ML4 kept the ball out of the hazards on #'s 6 and 9.

Got some recorded info for ya...lol

Round 1: Home Course (Pull Driver on All But 3's)
41/43 = 84 (+12)
6/14 Fairways Hit
3/8 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
Long Drive = 285 Yards
Short Drive = 245
Average = 255ish

Decent day that started off rough from the tee but ended back in the groove I had missed so much. Under 50% FIR's but I really wasn't disappointed at all. Its all about harnessing my tempo.

Round 2: Home Course (Pull Driver on All But 3's)
40/40 = 80 (+8)
7/14 Fairways Hit
4/7 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
Long Drive = 280 Yards
Short Drive = 255
Average = 265ish

Played a second round immediately following round 1 because the course was empty at 106* outside. The groove was back here as I really has a hard time not counting 3 as fairways hit since they were within one foot each. I love the feel of a well struck ball off the ML4 as much now as I did in the beginning.

Round 3: Home Course 2-MAN SCRAMBLE! (Pull Driver on All But 3's)
7/14 Fairways Hit
4/7 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
Long Drive = 295 Yards
Short Drive = 230 (The Worms were talking smack!! So I burnt them all!!)
Average = 260ish

The THIRD round played in the same day, thank goodness it was a scramble because I was beginning to lock of a bit haha. Had a good enough partner that I could simply swing away on alot of the holes, still managed 50% of FIR's and as usual some SUPER close ones to being in the fairway. Shot of the day was 295 off the tee on a long dog-leg par 5 where I cut the corner with an intentional draw leaving my partner and I a 195 yard shot to get on in two (which we did). This round really opened up and reaffirmed what I had been thinking about doing on the tee, JUST SWING IN TEMPO and don't worry about the damn swing thoughts!

Round 4: Undulating Course 2-MAN SCRAMBLE (Pull Driver 75% of the Time)
6/10 Fairways Hit
1/4 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
Long Drive = 295 Yards
Short Drive = 250
Average = 265ish

Two-Man Coaches Clinic scramble with me as the better player needing to hit FIR's whenever the driver was pulled, and really did so very consistently all day with the biggest drive I've hit in a very long time on the 18th hole with an intentional little baby fade. Just swing it baby, don't think, let the ML4 do work was my plan for the day and it worked immaculately.

Round 5: Undulating Course (Pull Driver 75% of the Time)
39/42 = 81 (+10)
6/10 Fairways Hit
2/4 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
Long Drive = 295 Yards
Short Drive = 210 (The Ex-Tworminator)
Average = 260ish

Played this round today, excellent day off the tee again except when I let swing thoughts creep back in! ARGH! Again on 18 I hit a monster baby fade that put me 45 from the front of the green and scared the group of 4 in front of me that didn't let me play through all day (yes, I did this intentionally). One man commented not on me getting o close or apologizing for not letting me through, he commented "That driver of yours has got the best sound, i really enjoyed that all day" which, needless to say confused the piss out of me first and then made me chuckle.

I still love the ML4, when I just keep in tempo and let the club work, the results are always there. But hell, even when I let my brain in the way the results are still good for me.

Going to play 2 tomorrow so I'll have more!

Forgot to mention, I finally pulled the sticker off the club today, I just couldn't take it anymore.

I know you guys that have been reading this have seen me harp on that dang sticker, I decided to pull it because it was and is my ONLY knock on this driver. Now though? Simply bliss lol

Hi to one and all.

I am a new member and am intrigued by this thread. There is a chance now that Nicklaus will be selling this driver here in the UK, in the months to come. I have spoken with them and hopefully will be able to buy the head only and get my PGA Pro to fit it to my shaft of choice.

That shaft has just about always been the Grafalloy Prolaunch BLUE. I like the softer tip and the higher launch - however, as i will not be able to demo the Club prior to buying the head, may I ask if anyone can give me a characteristic of the head a bit more.

Is it a very high launching head ? My current gamer is the Nickent 4DX Evolver CYG, which of course can be altered dynamically. I usually use 10.5 or 11 degree heads with a neutral to 1/2 degree closed. My swingspeed is 90-93mph and h/c 11.

If the head really launched very very high, I would have to consider going to my second fav shaft, the Blue Board.

Any views please?

Hi to one and all.

I am a new member and am intrigued by this thread. There is a chance now that Nicklaus will be selling this driver here in the UK, in the months to come. I have spoken with them and hopefully will be able to buy the head only and get my PGA Pro to fit it to my shaft of choice.

That shaft has just about always been the Grafalloy Prolaunch BLUE. I like the softer tip and the higher launch - however, as i will not be able to demo the Club prior to buying the head, may I ask if anyone can give me a characteristic of the head a bit more.

Is it a very high launching head ? My current gamer is the Nickent 4DX Evolver CYG, which of course can be altered dynamically. I usually use 10.5 or 11 degree heads with a neutral to 1/2 degree closed. My swingspeed is 90-93mph and h/c 11.

If the head really launched very very high, I would have to consider going to my second fav shaft, the Blue Board.

Any views please?

Hi and welcome to THP!

I wouldn't call it a high launching head at all, I think the shaft ours are paired with are higher launch shafts. I played a 4DX Evolver as well and, to me, they really launch very similar. I cannot be 100% with you though as I haven't tried different shafts.

I got out for two more rounds with the ML4...

Round 1: Home Course (Pull Driver on All But 3's)
41/41 = 82 (+10)
9/14 Fairways Hit
3/6 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
1 Drive OB Left
Long Drive = 290 Yards
Short Drive = 240 (Skyyyyyyyyy-rockets-in flight!)
Average = 265-270 Range

Came into the day with the intentions of focusing only on my tempo and letting my hips lead my swing on the tee today, NOTHING more. Results? I got my distance back. The 290 yard drive was the second best feeling drive I honestly think I have ever had (the first will be talked about below lol). Things got left a coupe of times when I let my transition get too out of tempo, even then I made center contact the entire round which brought back that pleasant sound the ML4 gives me. I really love this club still, I know I sound like a MAJOR homer but its true, I cannot help but repeat myself again and again.

Round 2: Home Course (Pull Driver on All But 3's)
37/41 = 78 (+6) FIRST TIME TO EVER BREAK 80!!!!
8/14 Fairways Hit
2/6 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
3 Drives OB Left (ALL on the back 9 too! PRESSURE! lol)
Long Drive = 305 Yards
Short Drive = OB LEFT
Average = 275ish

Yes, that above says 305. Nutted and gutted on a Par 4 that left me 70 to the green. Nutted. I have never before felt a drive like that, you could feel the ball EXPLODE off the face and the sound backed up that feeling. The OB drives were the only downers on the round and that was, again, because of getting too quick and jerky at the top and not letting my hips fire first. I just broke 80. Me. 80. Holy hell.

P.S.: WAY better looking without the sticker in the Speed Flow slot now. LOL

Well, after asking if it would be ok at this point....

I just pulled the Fuji out of the ML4 and have prepped an Aldila RIP Alpha (Red Eyes) 60S to go into the head. This is by far one of the hottest driver heads I've hit when you throw in feel and forgiveness. Its so well rounded for me so far its nuts. My hope is to see the RIP bring the ball flight down and possible fit my loading/unloading a little better.

Pics after it cures!

Super excited as I love to tinker and have been dreaming of seeing how the head would perform with a RIP or a Miya Black in it!

thats awesome.. ill be out today.. one thing i love about the head is its so easy to clean! mine still looks brand new!!.. i wouldnt pull the shaft though, just because it was build b jacks club builder, when it retires it will go up on the wall as is!

thats awesome.. ill be out today.. one thing i love about the head is its so easy to clean! mine still looks brand new!!.. i wouldnt pull the shaft though, just because it was build b jacks club builder, when it retires it will go up on the wall as is!

I understand that take, but this sucker is going to be my gamer for a long long while and I want to fine tune it to my game.

(P.S. Good to see I'm not alone in here! lol)

Buahahahahahaha!

Aldila RIP Alpha 60S installed last night and cured....

DSC_0224.jpg

And a gratuitous pic of the sole of the club without the Speed Flow sticker! lol

DSC_0226.jpg

Hahaha, I wasn't sure if you would but kinda figured you may tinker. This driver still intrigues me and I'm curious to see how it feels/works for you with the new shaft.

Well, after asking if it would be ok at this point....

I just pulled the Fuji out of the ML4 and have prepped an Aldila RIP Alpha (Red Eyes) 60S to go into the head. This is by far one of the hottest driver heads I've hit when you throw in feel and forgiveness. Its so well rounded for me so far its nuts. My hope is to see the RIP bring the ball flight down and possible fit my loading/unloading a little better.

Pics after it cures!

Super excited as I love to tinker and have been dreaming of seeing how the head would perform with a RIP or a Miya Black in it!

I don't know if I'd change it either! Buuuuuuuuut! I know how important it is for all major components of the club to fit.

Back