Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

How does the ML4 hold up if you guys try to smoke one? which for me often means lunging at the ball, not just smoothly pouring on the gas.

How does the ML4 hold up if you guys try to smoke one? which for me often means lunging at the ball, not just smoothly pouring on the gas.

I hit it really high. But it still goes just no roll out

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Used to have height issues getting after it, not now that I've reshafted, when I need to get on one, I KNOW that I can which is something I've never had with any other drivers I've played be it 4DX, SuperTri, S2, S3 an so on. I had the same issued with the C.Kua I was playing in the S3 before I got to test the ML4, I just cannot play the light shafts too much a mental thing for me, 60-70g's is my driver wheelhouse it seems.

Used to have height issues getting after it, not now that I've reshafted, when I need to get on one, I KNOW that I can which is something I've never had with any other drivers I've played be it 4DX, SuperTri, S2, S3 an so on. I had the same issued with the C.Kua I was playing in the S3 before I got to test the ML4, I just cannot play the light shafts too much a mental thing for me, 60-70g's is my driver wheelhouse it seems.

Thats good to know, its a good feeling knowing you can go after one and not worry about hitting a bad shot.

Face-angle at impact is still important but assuming anything decent, great results. I have 2 ML4's, one's 10.5* w/stiff GD Pershing-65 and the other 9* w/stiff GD PM702 tipped 1". The 10.5* driver offers a noticeably higher ballflight but even when I step on it, absolutely no ballooning at all. Even into a wind. It's high launch yet still manages to be very low-spin.

When I step on the 9* driver, I also get great results. Med/high ball-flight, jumps off the face as if shot out of a cannon. I still have a Cobra S3 w/stiff Diamana Blueboard-73 which also performs very well for me. But the ML4's are more responsive to harder swings. More forgiving offers better results on harder swings where contact is just a bit off.

Face-angle at impact is still important but assuming anything decent, great results. I have 2 ML4's, one's 10.5* w/stiff GD Pershing-65 and the other 9* w/stiff GD PM702 tipped 1". The 10.5* driver offers a noticeably higher ballflight but even when I step on it, absolutely no ballooning at all. Even into a wind. It's high launch yet still manages to be very low-spin.

When I step on the 9* driver, I also get great results. Med/high ball-flight, jumps off the face as if shot out of a cannon. I still have a Cobra S3 w/stiff Diamana Blueboard-73 which also performs very well for me. But the ML4's are more responsive to harder swings. More forgiving offers better results on harder swings where contact is just a bit off.

Which ML4 do you like better? 10.5* or 9*

Which ML4 do you like better? 10.5* or 9*

I prefer the 9* but how much of that is due to loft vs shaft, I don't know. What I do know is that the 9*, while offering a lower and more penetrating flight, still encompasses all of the impressive forgiveness of the 10.5*. Love them both and could/would happily play the 10.5*, but I do prefer the 9*.

I prefer the 9* but how much of that is due to loft vs shaft, I don't know. What I do know is that the 9*, while offering a lower and more penetrating flight, still encompasses all of the impressive forgiveness of the 10.5*. Love them both and could/would happily play the 10.5*, but I do prefer the 9*.

Cool thanks, have you ever thought about putting a really low launch shaft in the 10.5* to have the best of both worlds.

Cool thanks, have you ever thought about putting a really low launch shaft in the 10.5* to have the best of both worlds.

Yes. I wavered back and forth in deciding which shaft to put in the 10.5* when I first got it. If the 9* ever misbehaves, I probably will grab a low launching shaft for the higher loft.

I've even thought about experimenting with a short shaft in the 10.5*, either 44" or 43.5". I've read that shorter shafts tend to lower the dynamic launch of a club, so higher lofted clubheads tend to work best. Even though 10.5* isn't a high loft per se, the high trajectory of the ML4 may translate very well when fitted with a shorter shaft.

I'm lucky in that distance isn't a problem for me but I'd gladly sacrifice some yardage for automatic accuracy.

Yes. I wavered back and forth in deciding which shaft to put in the 10.5* when I first got it. If the 9* ever misbehaves, I probably will grab a low launching shaft for the higher loft.

I've even thought about experimenting with a short shaft in the 10.5*, either 44" or 43.5". I've read that shorter shafts tend to lower the dynamic launch of a club, so higher lofted clubheads tend to work best. Even though 10.5* isn't a high loft per se, the high trajectory of the ML4 may translate very well when fitted with a shorter shaft.

I'm lucky in that distance isn't a problem for me but I'd gladly sacrifice some yardage for automatic accuracy.

Well be sure to update this if you decide to throw a low launch shaft in that 10.5*, intersted to see what it would do for ya. I like the idea of shorter shafts in the driver, I play mine at 45" and wont play anything longer, im just so much more comfortable at that length. A 44 or 43.5 would be a interesting test though

Well, I got out for two rounds Tuesday, should have been 3 but slow play of groups not letting a single play through killed my mojo a bit and the scores reflect that.

Round 1: Home Course (Pull Driver!)
41/42 = 83 (+11)
10/14 Fairways Hit
1/4 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
1 Drive OB Left (Busting out the hook from nowhere. Argh.)
Long Drive = 270 Yards
Short Drive = 240
Average = 255ish

Boy my swing was super tight to start this one, not until the last 3 driver shots did I loosen up a bit, could tell it had been a week and a half since playing. That said, I really am thinking about moving down to the E flex in my shotmaker since putting the Saga in the ML4, the load characteristics are just so much different and I really think I'm leaving some out there since moving from the broken RIP. That said, the ML4 performed admirably even through the shotty swings. I cannot say enough how nice it is to know that there is SOME safety net there for you on an off day, not alot, but enough.

Round 2: Home Course (Pull Driver!)
42/41 = 83 (+11)
11/14 Fairways Hit
2/4 Within 10 Feet of Fairway
Long Drive = 275 Yards
Short Drive = 235
Average = 260ish

Loosened up off the tee alot more in this round, really should have been 13/14 FIR's but one barely missed off a hop and the other I played left intentionally to take a big ass trap out of play on my approach shot, SO nice to have the gumption to be able to try that now, pre-ML4 it was just hit it in a semi-straight direction, now I'm aiming and pulling off intentional shots. That's kudos not only to the ML4 though, as I know my swing has improved too, but, I like to give alot of that credit to the ML4 as well.

I love this club.

i played a new course (river winds) in new jersey monday. hit all but 2 fairways. one was off the left side, and the other was ob horrible slice on 18. figures the last hole killed me! nothing has changed, same awesome sound, great flght still al ittle high.

the high flight really is fine except if the fairways are wet, then its all carry and no roll.. still pondering a shaft change but the funds arent there with daycare being raised!! i want to find a goo dplay to do a shaft fitting, i dont really trust gg to do it. and i dont think they have many options

now i am down the left side of the fiarway and the ball fades back in! doesnt hit the fairway and bounce hard right with all the side spin. one thing i noticed is the feel is different from round to round. some rounds its really solid feeling and others it doesnt feel anything, it might just be me i dont know.

im starting to get some 270 yard drives but thats with me pulling the ball left. atleast i know i can do it i just need to straighten it out a little.

well until next time! happy hitting!!

Wow, great stuff gentlemen. Y'all hit the ball a long way...and straight! It's been raining cats and dogs here for the last few days...and it's still coming down. Glad to hear (well, read actually), that the ML4 is working out so well. :)

yeah it started raining monday night and hasnt stopped since, im itching to get back out!

bump for the newbs!! good info in here

I'm having great results with the 9 degree stock stiff set-up which is surprising to me because I am normally a 10.5 degree regular flex guy (92-95 mph swing speed). I thought this driver was someting just to try before getting a G20 or whatever, but now I'm thinking of ordering another head to experiment with shafts. Solid all around club for control, distance, and feel. Looking forward to the fairway wood also. Hope the Nicklaus line of clubs can stay afloat.

I'm having great results with the 9 degree stock stiff set-up which is surprising to me because I am normally a 10.5 degree regular flex guy (92-95 mph swing speed). I thought this driver was someting just to try before getting a G20 or whatever, but now I'm thinking of ordering another head to experiment with shafts. Solid all around club for control, distance, and feel. Looking forward to the fairway wood also. Hope the Nicklaus line of clubs can stay afloat.

Good to hear more success stories. I myself am REALLY thinking about getting a 9* head to compare to the 10.5* at some point. I truly have been impressed WAY beyond what I've been able to put into words, I don't wanna sound like too much of a homer...LOL

Good to hear more success stories. I myself am REALLY thinking about getting a 9* head to compare to the 10.5* at some point. I truly have been impressed WAY beyond what I've been able to put into words, I don't wanna sound like too much of a homer...LOL

Sent an inquiry email about maybe getting a head only, we'll see if I get anything back, probably should have called instead. Maybe later.

That said, I got some good range time yesterday, a cold front moved in and it was 59* as a high so I was pretty much in heaven. The range session went really well, I'm grooving much more and getting my swing with the big stick back "into the slot" if you will. Rather than just break down the range session though, I think that its time to do another recap rundown of the club for me.

Looks:
This may be THE most "classic" looking clubhead out there in my personal opinion. Its clean and has that wonderful pear-shape at address. On the sole my only knock always was the sticker in the Speed-Flow portion, that has been remedied haha. I remember when we (THP) first got site of these alot of people felt that they were too plain and I can see where you would say that. To me though its just clean and simple all the way around, particularly if you go back and look at the ML3, this looks WAY better to me. Not to mention, it may be "simple and understated" to some but I never get tired of looking at it at address. Also, I still like that there's no alignment aid on it as I personally never use it on my drivers anyways, though I know alot of people didn't care for that.

Sound:
Initially I referred to the sound of the ML4 as a "tweener" in my first thoughts, I really still stand by that. Its not that gawd awful aluminum baseball bat sound or a flat dull thud with no pop to it. It right in between, solid sounding crack but it still sounds hot. I like the sound alot personally, its pleasant and not annoying, that's all I need and want. I do need to either re-upload my audio clip for everyone or better yet just get a flip camera and video something since that's the trend now, I really will work on that for you all.

Feel of the Head:
I'll stay in this in the feel department since I've been tinkering with shafts and this is not about the shafts right now. The ML4 is hot faced, it really is. You can feel the ball react to the face and come off, you always KNOW when you nutted one before you even look up, you also get great feedback on where you are hitting the face with it, moreso than I ever got with my S2 or S3. Not as trampoline like as say a Tour Edge Exotic but not dull either, I honestly think it would fit both the crowd that just wants a "solid" feel AND the "springy" guys too.

Shafts:
All I'll say on this is that the stock Fujikura 55 is NOT a bad shaft at all, truly and honestly. It simply doesn't fit my swing as a high-ball hitter. The lower launching RIP was great until it died on me, the Saga launched higher than that did but is much smoother for me. Shafts are one thing everyone will be different in, thats why I love that Nicklaus will sell you JUST the head.

Workability:
When I first started testing the ML4 it was all about just hitting the dang thing straight, since then though I've become confident enough in my swing that I will work the ball from time to time (or try to). The ML4 is fine with that and reacts well to it. Now, I'm not hitting any biiiiiig intentional draws or anything around sharp corners, but I can actually bend it a bit to fit what I'm looking for. I'd love to see what a true "worker" of the ball could do with one so I could give better feedback on this area.

Forgiveness:
NOT the most forgiving driver out there, it really isn't. However, it does bring more than average (I think Sean will agree with me here) to the table. Enough so that my off swing still yield decent enough results and don't lose a TON of distance, but I can still feel where and how I missed. More than anything though its enough that I'm SUPREMELY confident with this club in my hands on the tee. Its enough for me and more than my S2, maybe similar to the S3? Its hard to compare since I haven swung ANY other driver in a while haha.

Distance:
Long. Still long. That has never wavered through anything, swing and shaft changes. My average round have been from 255ish on average to 270ish with longs every bit of 285 or so when I step on it and the stars align. I'll take 250's-260's and in the short stuff every day. I'm sure there may be longer but I'm just not interested in them. I don't think I'm a long hitter but this makes me feel like it because of all of the clubs traits combined, you just feel like you smash it every time you get contact whether it goes 240 or 280.

All-in-All:
A long time ago...
I'm not ready to say love yet, but I'll say lust
That's BS now, I LOVE this club. Call em a testing homer if you want but I do, its my complete and honest feeling on it. I know alot of people have probably scoffed at all the positive feedback the three of us have given a "lesser" company, the bottom line though is it REALLY is that good. Alot like the Boccieri testers are seeing, THAT is what we have seen here (me personally FOR SURE). My only disappointment with the Nicklaus is that I've come to realize that just like the Boccieri's these are too hard to find for people to be able to try and I know Nicklaus thinks they have a winner in these (and they do!) and will surely be trying to get it "out there". I've let MANY try mine and they are all shocked, I even had an assistant pro at one of the courses I play try to buy it, to me there is no higher praise than hearing people go "wow".

I'm nowhere near done with my testing and I love that, I'll continue to add, this was just time for a more solid grouping of thoughts and feelings IMO.

Thanks again to Nicklaus and THP, I really am enjoying this.

That's an excellent review, Jman! I don't doubt for a second that you love that club. I know that having no confidence in your driver is horrible for a golf game. It speaks a lot about this product that it has worked so well for all of you.

I know alot of people have probably scoffed at all the positive feedback the three of us have given a "lesser" company, the bottom line though is it REALLY is that good. Alot like the Boccieri testers are seeing, THAT is what we have seen here (me personally FOR SURE). My only disappointment with the Nicklaus is that I've come to realize that just like the Boccieri's these are too hard to find for people to be able to try and I know Nicklaus thinks they have a winner in these (and they do!) and will surely be trying to get it "out there". I've let MANY try mine and they are all shocked, I even had an assistant pro at one of the courses I play try to buy it, to me there is no higher praise than hearing people go "wow".

Glad to see the Driver is working out for you JMan! That is one of the greatest things about forum testings IMO, get to get feedback on great products from some of the smaller companies. If it wasnt for the forum testing, I doubt I would ever hear of anyone talking about hitting the Nicklaus ML4. Y'all have done a good job, and have really enjoyed reading the reviews.

Like Boccieri, I wish these clubs were more readily available to try out. Will still keep my eye out, but would love to see them pop up around here somewhere.

Good writeup JMan.

That's an excellent review, Jman! I don't doubt for a second that you love that club. I know that having no confidence in your driver is horrible for a golf game. It speaks a lot about this product that it has worked so well for all of you.

Glad to see the Driver is working out for you JMan! That is one of the greatest things about forum testings IMO, get to get feedback on great products from some of the smaller companies. If it wasnt for the forum testing, I doubt I would ever hear of anyone talking about hitting the Nicklaus ML4. Y'all have done a good job, and have really enjoyed reading the reviews.

Like Boccieri, I wish these clubs were more readily available to try out. Will still keep my eye out, but would love to see them pop up around here somewhere.

Good writeup JMan.

Thank you fellas, I truly do appreciate the kind words.

You're right, there is NOTHING like being confident in a club.

Nice Jman! Glad this is working out so well. IMO the driver is the club I am changing around all the time so to have one you feel like you can hit well is so important.

Nice Jman! Glad this is working out so well. IMO the driver is the club I am changing around all the time so to have one you feel like you can hit well is so important.

Thanks TH, I know what you mean, I was really in rut of driver changes until I got picked for testing. I think it sings praises to both the club and the practice of just sticking with something to acclimate to it, its really been both of those things that have been the biggest thing for me with the ML4.

Haven't heard anything back from the email I sent, likely going to call on Monday.

Actually hit a bucket of about 30 with this after work today since my wife is pulling 6a-7p this week, gonna get out tomorrow.

After looking at it after the session, I'm excited for the Miya Black I nabbed off of the BST. The Saga feels tremendous but I still hit it a bit high, not ballooning mind you, but still too high IMO. I also think I've got my turn back to where it should be and I was just not completing it all the way the last time I got out.

The feel of this one is just so good, I really can't help but say it again and again. Should have a full writeup tomorrow.

Actually hit a bucket of about 30 with this after work today since my wife is pulling 6a-7p this week, gonna get out tomorrow.

After looking at it after the session, I'm excited for the Miya Black I nabbed off of the BST. The Saga feels tremendous but I still hit it a bit high, not ballooning mind you, but still too high IMO. I also think I've got my turn back to where it should be and I was just not completing it all the way the last time I got out.

The feel of this one is just so good, I really can't help but say it again and again. Should have a full writeup tomorrow.

Looking forward to it Jman, I've read all your write ups in this thread and you did a great job of testing this driver. I feel like we might have similar swings and if this driver was avaliable in lefty I would have OEM'ed it already. Great stuff man.

Back