Nicklaus ML4 Driver - Forum Testing Review

ML4 Update

I hit 9 of 12 fairways today. Two I missed were barely in the rough and the other tee shot actually hit the left side of the fairway and bounced left into the hazard (it was a straight shot...I have no idea how it kicked left. As I've said previously, my home course is very unforgiving). My one miss was a bit of a pop up, but I still got some distance out of the shot and it went straight. I carded a 79.

The ML4 inspires confidence when I step up to the tee box, which probably helps explain why I've been able to find so many fairways. This club is a true gem and has it all: a traditional look, sound, feel, forgiveness, and distance. I've tested a variety of balls from the ProV1x, to the Penta, to the E6, and RXS, as well as some others, and the ML4 performs great with them all.

ps: I'll be away until next week so won't have any updates until then. Cheers. :)

Another great round Sean!

The bolded part is what I keep coming back to over and over and over, it honestly cannot be stated better than that. I've never been one that when I step ont he teebox I really feel good about it. Truly a confidence inspiring club.

Again a great writeup with good stuff in there Sean.

Another great round Sean!

The bolded part is what I keep coming back to over and over and over, it honestly cannot be stated better than that. I've never been one that when I step ont he teebox I really feel good about it. Truly a confidence inspiring club.

Again a great writeup with good stuff in there Sean.
Thanks Jman! I just wish it was available for folks to try in retail golf shops...at least I haven't seen it my area.

Played a round this morning
9/11 fairways hit
Long drive - 253
Short drive- 217

Ball wasn't flying too good today, the fairways are still wet from the hurricane. Only one bad slice and that was my fault.. I tried keeping the flight down due to the wet fairways. But still got a couple higher then id like, I feel the only holdback of this driver is the stock shaft, hopefully when I goto my fitting thur I can find something

The sound is still the same as day 1 and I love it, you can really tell when you lured one, greatest thing ever
Another positive is the face, its still in new condition, I will post pix later as tapatalk is acting up

This is compared to my r9, cobra s3, and bsf 2.0.

Distance- average to above average.

Sound- clear winner
Shaft- below average
Feel- average
Forgiveness- also the clear winner

My longest drive of the year was with the s3, and I've come within 8-10 yards with the nicklaus. I can only imagine what it can do with Ann upgraded shaft.

All In all, for a lesser known company this driver flat out performs!! Better then a lot of bigger oems. I urge you if you can , give this a go!!

Pix to be added later

I tapatalk better then I tapaputt

ML4 Update

Hit 9 of 12 fairways. Two I missed were simply poor swings and the other one took an unfortunate bounce.

The next round I hit 12 of 12 fairways and shot a 74, my lowest round to date.

The ML4 continues to be a solid performer in all respects: sound, feel, forgiveness, and distance. Along with the Harrison Eclipse shaft and Harrison Shotmaker I'm finding a lot more fairways than ever before. This is one solid driver with a classic look that inspires confidence. My home course is extremely narrow with very little rough and then hazards. Finding fairways is critical in order to be able to score. Since I've had the ML4 I'm spending a lot more time in the fairway and my scores have been dropping as a result.

That said, the ML4 is not a magic bullet. While it has a degree of forgiveness I've yet to experience in any driver I've ever hit, if I put a poor swing on it the results will reflect that swing.

Overall I find the ML4 to be a superior driver in all categories.

ML4 Update

Hit 9 of 12 fairways. Two I missed were simply poor swings and the other one took an unfortunate bounce.

The ML4 continues to be a solid performer in all respects: sound, feel, forgiveness, and distance. Along with the Harrison Eclipse shaft and Harrison Shotmaker I'm finding a lot more fairways than ever before. This is one solid driver with a classic look that inspires confidence. My home course is extremely narrow with very little rough and then hazards. Finding fairways is critical in order to be able to score. Since I've had the ML4 I'm spending a lot more time in the fairway and my scores have been dropping as a result.

That said, the ML4 is not a magic bullet. While it has a degree of forgiveness I've yet to experience in any driver I've ever hit, if I put a poor swing on it the results will reflect that swing.

So freaking awesome Sean. I love reading about others having the same type of success I see, so cool. The ML4 is just SO sweet!

ML4 Update

GREAT ROUND SEAN!!! Glad the club is working well for you, keep finding that short grass!!

GREAT ROUND SEAN!!! Glad the club is working well for you, keep finding that short grass!!

Thanks ghsace! At one point I had three birdies in a row. I asked myself, "Who is this guy?" This will wreak havoc on my HI. lol

Great to see the Nicklaus ML4 getting some love out here on THP. I do have regrets not putting one in my bag after reading throught this thread. I liked it when I hit it (March in a dome) but somehow a TM SF 2.0 made it in. I feel guilty about.

Nicklaus does produce some great stuff... I'm fond of the Premium line.

Alex

Great to see the Nicklaus ML4 getting some love out here on THP. I do have regrets not putting one in my bag after reading throught this thread. I liked it when I hit it (March in a dome) but somehow a TM SF 2.0 made it in. I feel guilty about.

Nicklaus does produce some great stuff... I'm fond of the Premium line.

Alex

I'm having far better numbers with my ml4 then I ever did with my bsf 2.0

I'm having far better numbers with my ml4 then I ever did with my bsf 2.0

Matty, I really think we need to get you a new shaft.

This really is the safest club in my bag now, it's not perfect, but the mix of what it has might be. I'm a big ass broken record but every time I go out it takes me back a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matty, I really think we need to get you a new shaft.

This really is the safest club in my bag now, it's not perfect, but the mix of what it has might be. I'm a big ass broken record but every time I go out it takes me back a bit.

I know, I just need to get fitted and go from there

I know, I just need to get fitted and go from there

Yup. I firmly believe the stock Fuji isn't bad, it just doesn't fit me as a higher ball hitter. I think it could fit alot of people around much better than alot of 'stock' offerings.

The one thing that I admire about the design that Clay and the gang did with this driver was simply sticking to the basics. Classic pear shape at address... takes one back to the classic 983K et al. No crazy alignment aids and from my recollection of doing a demo the sound was just right.

(Sorry for sounding like Golfilocks err....Goldilocks)

Alex

The one thing that I admire about the design that Clay and the gang did with this driver was simply sticking to the basics. Classic pear shape at address... takes one back to the classic 983K et al. No crazy alignment aids and from my recollection of doing a demo the sound was just right.

(Sorry for sounding like Golfilocks err....Goldilocks)

Alex

Indeed, its clean and simple up top and that really catches your eye. The "Speed Flow" channel (where the dreaded sticker used to be hehehe) blends really well with the design cues of it all. Best sound of ANY driver I have ever hit, that of course is simply my ear and my personal preference though, but I have had LOTS of comments on the sound of it on the course.

Still cannot believe you aren't gaming one Alex, craziness! lol

Indeed, its clean and simple up top and that really catches your eye. The "Speed Flow" channel (where the dreaded sticker used to be hehehe) blends really well with the design cues of it all. Best sound of ANY driver I have ever hit, that of course is simply my ear and my personal preference though, but I have had LOTS of comments on the sound of it on the course.

Still cannot believe you aren't gaming one Alex, craziness! lol

Oh I know it's crazy. Nuts really. I mean I loved the look, loved the feel, loved the sound but never pulled the trigger on it. Had I had a lm or a sim at least I might have. Even in the dome where I hit it I could tell the ball speed was up. I still might get one anyway as I do intend on crossing the "ditch" this weekend and go stateside. Perhaps go to the retailer I've dealt with for all of my Nicklaus purchases and order one from Tony and the gang. Although I am curious to see if they will be releasing something new this upcoming season. I will be attending the PGA Show in Orlando this year... so maybe I'll get a chance to have a look-see.

On another forum guys complained about the "channel" saying that it bugged them. I know you can't make everyone happy but I had no idea it was possible to see the sole of a club at address.

Alex

Oh I know it's crazy. Nuts really. I mean I loved the look, loved the feel, loved the sound but never pulled the trigger on it. Had I had a lm or a sim at least I might have. Even in the dome where I hit it I could tell the ball speed was up. I still might get one anyway as I do intend on crossing the "ditch" this weekend and go stateside. Perhaps go to the retailer I've dealt with for all of my Nicklaus purchases and order one from Tony and the gang. Although I am curious to see if they will be releasing something new this upcoming season. I will be attending the PGA Show in Orlando this year... so maybe I'll get a chance to have a look-see.

On another forum guys complained about the "channel" saying that it bugged them. I know you can't make everyone happy but I had no idea it was possible to see the sole of a club at address.

Alex

Haha, it was just the sticker that bothered me, too cheap for such a clean head in my personal opinion. But, that's the only gripe I've had, such a minor minor minor thing.

Wow best round to date!!!

Shot 86 to a par 69

Hit 12 of 13 fairways
Long-263
Short-237

No slices today! I finally realised I was standing to far from the ball and was coming across the ball Hense the slice. I moved about 4 inches closer to the ball and bam!! 5-10 yard fade at the most, not hitting the fairways and bouncing right because of all the side spin.

The flight was still mid to high, but I was getting so roll, not high to the point where it looked like a high POP, and def no balloning, I feel if I get a lower launching shaft I can get to the 260-280 range easier! Today just makes me want to go play again, hitting all those faurways help lower my score, putting failed me today, 3 3 putts, should of broke 85.

The feel is still great, I can def tell sweet spot and non sweet spot hits. The off center hits only lose 20 or less yards.

Like said before, if you put a slice type swing on the ball, your gona slice, I know first hand, its not a miracle driver, but where it does shine is the off center hits. Forgiveness is at a maximum with the ml4!!

The stock shaft would be ideal for someone who has a hard time getting the ball up with their driver, but someone like me, who is a natural high spin/launch guy, id order just the head and get it shafted with an aftermarket shaft.

It's amazing after 3 months of testing Im still tweaking with this driver and getting better results, I struggled after the honeymoon phase but its coming around now better then ever! I also removed the speed flow sticker and its so much cleaner looking now :)

Any questions feel free to ask.! Thanks for looking

Wow best round to date!!!

Shot 86 to a par 69

Hit 12 of 13 fairways
Long-263
Short-237

No slices today! I finally realised I was standing to far from the ball and was coming across the ball Hense the slice. I moved about 4 inches closer to the ball and bam!! 5-10 yard fade at the most, not hitting the fairways and bouncing right because of all the side spin.

The flight was still mid to high, but I was getting so roll, not high to the point where it looked like a high POP, and def no balloning, I feel if I get a lower launching shaft I can get to the 260-280 range easier! Today just makes me want to go play again, hitting all those faurways help lower my score, putting failed me today, 3 3 putts, should of broke 85.

The feel is still great, I can def tell sweet spot and non sweet spot hits. The off center hits only lose 20 or less yards.

Like said before, if you put a slice type swing on the ball, your gona slice, I know first hand, its not a miracle driver, but where it does shine is the off center hits. Forgiveness is at a maximum with the ml4!!

The stock shaft would be ideal for someone who has a hard time getting the ball up with their driver, but someone like me, who is a natural high spin/launch guy, id order just the head and get it shafted with an aftermarket shaft.

It's amazing after 3 months of testing Im still tweaking with this driver and getting better results, I struggled after the honeymoon phase but its coming around now better then ever! I also removed the speed flow sticker and its so much cleaner looking now :)

Any questions feel free to ask.! Thanks for looking

BOOM! hahahahaha, attaboy!

Very nice Matty, congrats on the solid round as well, I know all to well about the standing too far away epiphany, make ya feel silly a little thing has such a big impact doesnt it? lol

Agree's on the shafting, benefit to Nicklaus Gold I'm truly impressed by is that they WILL sell us (consumers) a head only, pretty dang cool IMO.

Good stuff.

BOOM! hahahahaha, attaboy!

Very nice Matty, congrats on the solid round as well, I know all to well about the standing too far away epiphany, make ya feel silly a little thing has such a big impact doesnt it? lol

Agree's on the shafting, benefit to Nicklaus Gold I'm truly impressed by is that they WILL sell us (consumers) a head only, pretty dang cool IMO.

Good stuff.

I know, 4 freaking inches Grrr sucks I didn't figure it out sooner, but glad I did now . GO BUY an ML4, you won't be disappointed!!

I know, 4 freaking inches Grrr sucks I didn't figure it out sooner, but glad I did now . GO BUY an ML4, you won't be disappointed!!

Fo' sho'.

I'd seriously like to give the fairway wood a whirl sometime too, just can't find em!

Nice round, Matty!

What shaft are you thinking of?

Nice round, Matty!

What shaft are you thinking of?

I have no clue, I want to do a shaft fitting tomorrow, but don't know if I trust golf galaxy, so many good shafts I'm completely lost

Back