Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Nike Golf Finds Inspiration in Action Sports for the New Swingtip Footwear

-Nike Golf’s Lunar Swingtip shoe pays homage to the wingtip design-

i-ThKt2Vp-M.jpg

BEAVERTON, Ore. (June 28, 2012) - Nike Golf’s non-stop innovation is in full swing as its footwear team continues to thrive on inspiration from Nike Athletes. The most recent idea born from Nike Athlete input is the new men’s Nike Lunar Swingtip shoes that pay homage to the classic wingtip design.

A team of Nike Golf engineers and designers visited Nike affiliate, Hurley, for unique athlete inspiration from skateboarders and surfers who enjoy golf and can go low on the course. The engineers and designers utilized these insights as well as those already in the Nike Skateboarding line, to create a shoe that provides stability and comfort on and off the golf course.

“Nike Action Sports has a lot of skate and surf athletes who love golf and are low-handicap players,” said Lee Walker. “When they play, they want to look the part – to wear the ‘uniform’ of golf. But at the same time they, better than most, can appreciate the stability afforded by a low-profile cupsole construction given the performance demands of their chosen sports. Balance and stability are critical in board sports just as they are in golf.”

The traction pattern of the outsole was derived from a pressure mapping study Nike’s Sports Research Lab (NSRL) conducted on multiple categories of Nike Athletes. These findings directly influenced the stud configuration, geometry, and heights of the lugs, resulting in a design that offers traction on demand, when and where you need it.

The lugs engage with the ground throughout the swing, providing a secure grip with hidden traction. The rubber rim around the bottom of the shoe is weight activated, working with the movements of the foot to create increased stability while concealing the traction lugs below.

A full-length Nike Lunarlon sockliner delivers superior out-of-the-box comfort while providing ground feel and support. Walker stated, “Action Sports had been utilizing this execution of Lunarlon foam in their Skateboarding line. This inspired our team to incorporate a similar drop-in Lunarlon sockliner for comfort directly underfoot.”

Wingtip upper designs are available in multiple colors and material offerings, including: Leather (1-year waterproof), Suede and Canvas.

AVAILABILITY: July 1, 2012
Leather (1 yr WP): MSRP: $150 – MAP/STREET: $119.99
Suede: MSRP: $140 – MAP/STREET: $109.99

AVAILABILITY: January 1, 2013
Canvas: MSRP: $130 – MAP/STREET: $99.99

i-wsHVfDf-S.jpg
i-3Wjpwbc-S.jpg

i-QncGcS4-S.jpg
i-tq3L6vL-S.jpg

i-xRt7m2b-S.jpg
i-bFQbfZT-S.jpg

i-c6nskVW-S.jpg
i-DVsN9G2-S.jpg

I want!!!!!!

I want so badly to like these but I don't. The idea was great but the execution is lacking. I think it is the brown color on the sole. Maybe they will look better in person.

Very intriguing. If they are comfortable, they will be a big hit. Typically shoes like this are a bit rigid, will be interesting to see how these are.

I agree with howzat. Of the 4 models the only one I would really want is the black/white. The brown sole reminds me of frat boys in Charleston. I don't care for those.

Look like buddies to me. People will buy them just because they say Nike.

Not even sure if you could call these golf shoes. Pretty weak by Nike here.

Im really surprised I am in the minority. I love the looks of these. And if they are even close to as comfortable as the Lunar Controls, I will be sporting every color.

i love them. especially the pair on the left in the first picture. looks like it has a white/black sole.

I think they're quite ugly. They don't even look like golf shoes to me.

I can't see myself wearing any of these with shorts, and only the black/white pair with pants. Part of it is that I don't like anything brown on golf shoes, but overall, these just aren't my style.

I might rock the black ones but the rest don't interest me to much. And I am not a huge fan of suede leather on golf shoes.

I just don't know. They could be cool but they could also be terribly ugly in person.

I will reserve judgment until I can put one on and see them on me while in shorts. I never wear long pants golfing unless required.

Like ary, I think these would have to be worn with pants. I do like them, but I know that I couldnt wear them with shorts.

Excuse me while I go change my underwear...

:clap:

The white one could work for me.

Don't like them. Just not my look.

Im really surprised I am in the minority. I love the looks of these. And if they are even close to as comfortable as the Lunar Controls, I will be sporting every color.

I'll have what he's having.

Not a fan of this style at all. I like the look and feel of the Lunar Control but these and the Ascends are pretty big misses, IMO.

I wonder what kind of traction these would have comparable to regular golf shoes with spikes

I am intrigued. Not sure I like the looks as much as others but knowing how comfortable Nike shoes are it makes me want them.

Those are pretty ugly, no love here.

I see shoes like this and I immediately think, what can I wear with with? Upon first glance the Black ones looked like something the front man from Green Day would wear. I think Nike sometimes tries to reach too far and into too many markets.
That being said I do like the suede look but don't see myself wearing the leather.

I see shoes like this and I immediately think, what can I wear with with? Upon first glance the Black ones looked like something the front man from Green Day would wear. I think Nike sometimes tries to reach too far and into too many markets.
That being said I do like the suede look but don't see myself wearing the leather.

I gotta admit, Im really surprised that you think these would be hard to pair with clothing and the odd looking TW shoes would work.

kinda fugly, if u held a gun to my head and said buy one, it would be the black/white combo

Back